Substation | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Substation

Item details

Name of item: Substation
Other name/s: #341 Randwick 33Kv Zone, Canberra Street substation
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Electricity
Category: Electricity Transformer/Substation
Location: Lat: -33.9267316652 Long: 151.2436701750
Primary address: 60 Bundock Lane, Randwick, NSW 2031
Local govt. area: Randwick
Local Aboriginal Land Council: La Perouse
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1144 DP1104033
LOT1145 DP752015
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
51-61S Canberra StreetRandwickRandwick   
60 Bundock LaneRandwickRandwick  Primary Address
Canberra StreetRandwickRandwick  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
AusgridState Government22 Oct 98

Statement of significance:

The Randwick substation is a rare, substantial, attractive and well detailed building of state significance, being representative of the interwar Mediterrenean style. 'Although a major part of the Bunnerong Power Station distribution network, the Sydney Muncipal Council was still keen to provide a building worthy of a residential area.' (Randwick Heritage Study).
Date significance updated: 15 Mar 01
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1929-
Physical description: The Randwick substation is a large and attractively decorated building that presents a street façade with elaborate brick decoration designed in the Interwar Mediterranean style. The façade is comprised of two sections:
A two storey block comprising a high entrance door with lintel arch motifs, and three groupings of triple windows: one group with arches, another with balcony and balusters.
The second part of the façade is a symmetrical arrangement with a large arched doorway flanked by pilasters and arch headed windows surmounted by an ornate identity panel. The parapets include curved roof tiles.
The Randwick substation is constructed in load-bearingtuck pointed face brick. The windows appear to be metal framed multi-paned. Large plant access doors are steel roller shutter type.
Architectural Style: Interwar Mediterranean
Exterior materials: Face brick, Rounded ceramic Roof tiles, Steel Roller Shutter Doors.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good.
Date condition updated:10 Nov 00

History

Historical notes: pre-1780s - local Aboriginal people in the area used the site for fishing and cultural activities - rock engravings, grinding grooves and middens remain in evidence.
1789 - Governor Philip referred to 'a long bay', which became known as Long Bay.
Aboriginal people are believed to have inhabited the Sydney region for at least 20,000 years (Turbet, 2001). The population of Aboriginal people between Palm Beach and Botany Bay in 1788 has been estimated to have been 1500. Those living south of Port Jackson to Botany Bay were the Cadigal people who spoke Dharug (Randwick Library webpage, 2003), while the local clan name of Maroubra people was "Muru-ora-dial" (City of Sydney webpage, 2003). By the mid nineteenth century the traditional owners of this land had typically either moved inland in search of food and shelter, or had died as the result of European disease or confrontation with British colonisers (Randwick Library webpage, 2003).

Colonial History:
One of the earliest land grants in this area was made in 1824 to Captain Francis Marsh, who received 12 acres bounded by the present Botany & High Streets, Alison & Belmore Roads. In 1839 William Newcombe acquired the land north-west of the present town hall in Avoca Street.

Randwick takes its name from the town of Randwick, Gloucestershire, England. The name was suggested by Simeon Pearce (1821-86) and his brother James. Simeon was born in the English Randwick and the brothers were responsible for the early development of both Randwick and its neighbour, Coogee. Simeon had come to the colony in 1841as a 21 year old surveyor. He built his Blenheim House on the 4 acres he bought from Marsh, and called his property "Randwick". The brothers bought and sold land profitably in the area and elsewhere. Simeon campaigned for construction of a road from the city to Coogee (achieved in 1853) and promoted the incorporation of the suburb. Pearce sought construction of a church modelled on the church of St. John in his birthplace. In 1857 the first St Jude's stood on the site of the present post office, at the corner of the present Alison Road and Avoca Street (Pollen, 1988, 217-8).

Randwick was...slow to progress. The village was isolated from Sydney by swamps and sandhills, and although a horse-bus was operated by a man named Grice from the late 1850s, the journey was more a test of nerves than a pleasure jaunt. Wind blew sand over the track, and the bus sometimes became bogged, so that passengers had to get out and push it free. From its early days Randwick had a divided society. The wealthy lived elegantly in large houses built when Pearce promoted Randwick and Coogee as a fashionable area. But the market gardens, orchards and piggeries that continued alongside the large estates were the lot of the working class. Even on the later estates that became racing empires, many jockeys and stablehands lived in huts or even under canvas. An even poorer group were the immigrants who existed on the periphery of Randwick in a place called Irishtown, in the area now known as The Spot, around the junction of St.Paul's Street and Perouse Road. Here families lived in makeshift houses, taking on the most menial tasks in their struggle to survive.

In 1858 when the NSW Government passed the Municipalities Act, enabling formation of municipal districts empowered to collect rates and borrow money to improve their suburb, Randwick was the first suburb to apply for the status of a municipality. It was approved in Februrary 1859, and its first Council was elected in March 1859.

Randwick had been the venue for sporting events, as well as duels and illegal sports, from the early days in the colony's history. Its first racecourse, the Sandy Racecourse or Old Sand Track, had been a hazardous track over hills and gullies since 1860. When a move was made in 1863 by John Tait, to establish Randwick Racecourse, Simeon Pearce was furious, expecially when he heard that Tait also intended to move into Byron Lodge. Tait's venture prospered, however and he became the first person in Australia to organise racing as a commercial sport. The racecourse made a big difference to the progress of Randwick. The horse-bus gave way to trams that linked the suburb to Sydney and civilisation. Randwick soon became a prosperous and lively place, and it still retains a busy residential, professional and commercial life.

Today, some of the houses have been replaced by home units. Many European migrants have made their homes in the areaa, along with students and workers at the nearby University of NSW and the Prince of Wales Hospital. (ibid, 218-9).

Electricity Supply:
The Randwick substation is a purpose designed and built structure constructed in 1930. "The site was resumed in 1929 by the Municipal Council of Sydney and then over by Sydney County Council in 1935, the resumption cost 2500 pounds. This substation was a major part of the distribution network of the Bunnerong Power station and fed all the smaller substations in the Randwick area. The building was completed in 1930 following a cost blow-out owing to the contractor receiving instructions for a wider building than shown on the original plan and the fact that it was essential to have one half of the building constructed and ready before the other half". (Randwick Heritage Study).
Historical Period: 1926-1950.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Developing suburbia-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis Providing electricity-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - providing reticulated water-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - building and operating public infrastructure-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsement60 Bundock Lane, Substation  
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act - Site Specific Exemptions HERITAGE ACT, 1977

ORDER UNDER SECTION 57(2)

ENERGYAUSTRALIA - SITE SPECIFIC EXEMPTIONS


I, the Minister for Planning, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, in pursuance of section 57(2) of the Heritage Act, 1977, do, by this my order

(a) under section 57(2) of the Heritage Act grant exemption from Heritage Council approval under Section 57(1) of the Heritage Act, as outlined in Schedule A, for the following activities described in 1-15 below, subject to review and approval by a person with demonstrated heritage expertise and experience in similar buildings and sites.

1. Replacement of corrugated asbestos roofing systems, box gutters and eaves with corrugated metal roofing system which maintains the general profile of the building roof and does not require replacement of structural fabric of the roof and retains any decorative features of the original roof design (e.g. exposed eaves, decorative soffits or barge boards). The choice of roofing material should not preclude the reinstatement of the original form of rainwater goods.

2. Replacement of non-original switchgear and associated internal building rearrangements to accommodate new switchgear, which does not require the significant removal of building fabric.

3. Replacement of non-original internal and external transformers.

4. Internal installation of fire mitigation apparatus and mechanisms including fire curtains, sheeting of structural members to improve fire rating and replacement of internal fire doors with asbestos cores.

5. Minor works necessary to preserve and enhance the security of the building including the replacement of locks, installation of internal security screens and grilles and the installation of electronic access control devices.

6. Maintenance and minor repairs that are necessary to preserve and maintain the building and are within the limits of the standard exemptions of the Heritage Act.

7. Excavations and reinstatement associated with installation or replacement of conduits, cables, services and pipes, where this will occur within existing cable egress areas or existing cable jointing areas and there are no known or suspected archaeological relics.

8. Minor works internal to the building including:
a) Replacement of Customer Load Control Equipment.
b) Upgrade of non-original toilet / washroom facilities.
c) Upgrade of control room equipment.
d) Refurbishment of battery rooms.
e) The removal of asbestos materials such as interior and external sheet linings, fire proofing, troughing, conduits, window sealant, asbestos fire doors etc.
f) The removal of devices and equipment containing mercury or other heavy metals.
g) Removal of lead-based paint and reinstatement with the original paint scheme.
h) Replacement of non-original lighting fixtures, including electrical controls where they are required for security or safety.

9. Minor internal works necessary to upgrade and enhance the structural integrity of the building which do not impact on the heritage significance of the building including:
a) The internal fitting of improved handrails and or stairs to access higher stories for the reason of safe access.
b) The upgrade of non-original internal lifting / crane equipment in loading docks specifically required for manual handling of equipment to meet WorkCover requirements.

10. Temporary works including containment areas, scaffolding and enclosures necessary for the carrying out of maintenance, enhancement or upgrading works.

11. Installation of safety or information signs, not being for commercial or advertising purposes.

12. Maintenance and painting of finished building surfaces where colour of finish is matched to the original colour.

13. Decommissioning of a substation and removal of non-original equipment.

14. Installation of oil containment systems in order to meet NSW EPA Pollution Licence requirements, in the following circumstances:
a) Masonry or concrete bunding around transformers and within existing transformer bays.
b) Underground oil containment works or systems in areas where there are no known or suspected archaeological relics.

15. Ventilation and air conditioning works limited to:
a) Replacement of existing external vents and louvres in a style consistent with the external appearance of the building.
b) Replacement of non-mechanical rooftop ventilators in a style consistent with the form, scale and position of existing ventilators.
c) Internal air conditioning systems with no externally visible components and which do not require the removal of original building fabric.

KRISTINA KENEALLY, M.P.,
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 5 Day of May 2009


SCHEDULE A

Item State Heritage Register Listing Number

Electricity Power House, Crows Nest SHR 00931
Relay Test Centre, Haberfield SHR 00933
Substation, Ultimo SHR 00934
Substation, Randwick SHR 00935
Substation, Balgowlah SHR 00936
Substation, Manly SHR 00938
Substation, Paddington SHR 00939
Substation, Pymble SHR 00940
Substation, Annandale SHR 00941
Electricity Substation No 167, Auburn SHR 01790
Electricity Substation No 269, Bondi SHR 01791
Electricity Substation No 349, Randwick SHR 01792
May 15 2009

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0093502 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register 3662   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenPollon, F. & Healy, G.1988Randwick entry, in 'The Book of Sydney Suburbs'

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5011963
File number: S97/00023/1


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.