Dundas Railway Station | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Dundas Railway Station

Item details

Name of item: Dundas Railway Station
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -33.8035428552 Long: 151.0334413010
Primary address: Station Street, Dundas, NSW 2117
Local govt. area: Parramatta
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan

Boundary:

Southeast: Property boundary fronting Station Street (excluding car park); Northeast: 5 metres from end of platform; Northwest: Property boundary to rear of residential lots on Kissing Point Road; Southwest: 5 metres from end of platform.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Station StreetDundasParramatta  Primary Address
Kissing Point RoadDundasParramatta  Alternate Address
Clyde-Carlingford railwayDundasParramatta  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government27 Oct 98

Statement of significance:

Dundas Railway Station is significant for its small timber platform building which is the only known example of its type, characterised by close eaves with a small platform awning. The building however has lost its integrity having been reconstructed in 2007 after the original timber structure was destroyed by fire. The station is evidence of the construction of the private Bennett and Simpson Railway under the Simpsons' Railway Act in 1893, which provided transport to the northern suburbs, including Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and Dural.
Date significance updated: 11 Apr 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Messrs Horne and Shand
Builder/Maker: Messrs Horne and Shand
Construction years: 1896-2007
Physical description: BUILDINGS
Station Building - type 8, timber (2007)

STRUCTURES
Passenger waiting area - modern, metal (2007)
Platform - brick faced (1896)
Pedestrian crossing - concrete (2007)

STATION BUILDING (2007)
External: The station building is a reconstruction of the original timber narrow awning building (type 8). It is a painted timber building with a hip and gabled galvanised iron roof, and a skillion extension on the Carlingford (Up) end of the building. Four entry points, a large window and a small square window are located on the platform side and are covered with security screens. These are also used on all other windows and doors and hide the timber panelled doors and four paned timber framed windows. Some of the window frames appear to be original. The Station Street elevation is characterised by one double door entry, two large windows and several high, small square windows. The Station Street entry, together with the main entry area on the other side of the building have small, cantilevered awnings with corrugated iron sheeting and decorative ends.

Internal: Although access to the interiors could not be obtained, due to its true reconstruction the building would feature v-jointed timber wall linings and houses the station managers office on the Up end, toilets on the Down end and a waiting room between the two.

PASSENGER WAITING AREA (2007)
Immediately adjacent to the timber building on the Rydalmere (Down) end of the building is a modern passenger waiting area with a gabled, galvanised metal roof canopy with a post supported awning to the platform side and vertical timber board ends. Glass and steel form the remainder of the structure.

PLATFORM (1896)
The platform is brick faced with pedestrian access at grade by crossing an operational railway line. Modern lighting, information signs and fencing is located in appropriate areas on the platform and around the station. A commuter carpark is located on the Station Street side of the station.

PEDESTRIAN CROSSING (2007)
The pedestrian crossing with concrete approaches over the single line track is located just off the Down end of the platform.

MOVEABLE ITEMS
Access to the interior could not be obtained due to the station being an unattended station. However, there is no known moveable items at this station.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
STATION BUILDING
The building is in very good condition having been recently reconstructed. According to recent plans a small amount of original fabric remains, such as windows. Access to the interiors could not be obtained, however, inspection through the windows indicates that it is generally in good condition.
Date condition updated:11 Apr 13
Modifications and dates: Post-1950: Footbridge and goods siding removed
1959: Toilets built
1992: Platform canopy attached to building at the Sydney end;
2006: Severe fire destroyed the Station Master’s office and general waiting room
2007: The station building was largely reconstructed and repaired.
N.d: The skillion-roofed out-of shed attached to the Carlingford (Up) end
2010: Platform re-surfaced
Current use: Railway station
Former use: Railway station

History

Historical notes: The station opened in 1896 as Kissing Point Road and was renamed Dundas in 1901. The station was part of Bennett and Simpson’s Railway, which was a private railway aimed at serving property subdivisions to the north and provide better transport options for producers from the fruit growing districts around Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill and Dural. It also comprised Bennett's private railway from Clyde Station to Rosehill constructed 1888, and the extension to Carlingford. This extension was constructed after investigations in 1891 and 1892 by the Minister for Works into the state of roads in the fruit growing district which saw the Simpson's Railway Act passed on 13 June 1893. The Act authorised the private construction of a railway line in three sections from Bennett's Railway line to Dural.

The first section was to terminate at Carlingford, the second at Castle Hill (Rogans Hill) and the third at Dural. The Carlingford line was opened on 16 April 1896 but due to the increased costs and poor return from the freight and passenger service, it was decided not to proceed with the remaining sections. By the end of 1896, both Bennett's and Simpson's railways were in the hands of the Bank of New Zealand. The high cost of the Parramatta River bridge caused the financial collapse of the company and the station (along with the railway to Carlingford) was taken over in 1901 by the NSW Government Railways.

Dundas Station was the last privately built and owned station building in NSW. It is also one of a very small number of platforms where access is at grade by crossing an operational railway line.

There was a severe fire in the station building in 2006, which destroyed the majority of the building’s original fabric. It was reconstructed in 2007.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Engineering the public railway system-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Administering the public railway system-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis Railways to inland settlements-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with the National Trust of Australia (NSW)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Dundas Railway Station has historic significance as the only former privately built station building on the railway network. It is evidence of the construction of the Bennett and Simpson Railway to the northern suburbs, which was abandoned following construction of Stage 1 due to financial difficulties.
The original atypical ‘Type 8 - Narrow Awning Building’ was destroyed by fire and largely reconstructed in 2007. It is however, the only extant example of its type providing evidence of the' Type 8’ style station building and is significant due to its construction as a good and true replica of the original building.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The station has historical associations with the construction of a private railway under the Simpson's' Railway Act in 1893, which provided transport to the northern suburbs such as Baulk ham Hills, Castle Hill and Dural.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Despite being largely reconstructed, the timber station building is aesthetically significant as an example of small atypical 'Type 8' buildings featuring a small platform awning and close eaves.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past. Its historical associations with the local fruit producers of the time who agitated for the line is not considered as a special or strong association, and is no longer valid.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The timber building has the research potential for study into the type of building constructed on a private railway in Sydney in it's reproduced form together with early plans.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Dundas station building, despite being a reconstruction, is the only known example of 'Type 8' narrow awning railway station building. It provides evidence of such small timber atypical railway buildings. It has some rarity in this regard.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The building is representative of a railway station building type no longer extant on the railway network in NSW although it is unknown how many of the 23 planned buildings were built.
Integrity/Intactness: The building is primarily new fabric (2007).
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0113302 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenSingleton, C.C.1955"Clyde to Carlingford and Sandown Railway", ARHS Bulletin, Vol. 6 No. 210, April
WrittenWestern Sydney Libraries (West Syd) Slice of life: Trams and Trains

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012000
File number: H06/00071


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.