Exeter Railway Station group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Exeter Railway Station group

Item details

Name of item: Exeter Railway Station group
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -34.6136503108 Long: 150.3172438950
Primary address: Main Southern railway, Exeter, NSW 2579
Local govt. area: Wingecarribee
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Illawarra

Boundary:

The listing boundary is formed by the property boundary on either side and running parallel to the tracks, to the south by a line extending across the tracks approximately 20 metres past the end of the platform and to the north by a line extending across the tracks approximately 30 metres past the end of the platform.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Main Southern railwayExeterWingecarribee  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government28 Oct 98

Statement of significance:

Exeter is one of the best small station complexes in the State and demonstrates all of the elements of a turn of the century rural station group. In particular it has a rare on-station two level signal box (another is located at Katoomba) and excellent planting on and around the station. The combination of station buildings dating from both periods of construction, signal box, signals and station details contributes to the high significance of the site. This is one of the best small country examples of station planting which was an important part of most station complexes.
The location of the group within the small and historic village of Exeter adds to both the importance of the site and the quality of the town. The site has a strong visual impact on the town and streetscape.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: BUILDINGS
station buildings, HS
- type 7, timber skillion roof extended, 1891
- type 7, timber waiting shed, platform 2,1891
- type 11, platform and closets new timber station building 1915, duplication
signal box - on platform gable 2 storey, c. 1897
lamp room - corrugated iron
STRUCTURES
platform faces - brick
signals
LANDSCAPE
platform planting
ARTEFACTS
platform signs
Current use: railway station
Former use: railway station

History

Historical notes: The pioneer at Exeter was James Badgery, whose grant of 500 acres was surveyed on 17/11/1821, and deed issued 1/11/1822. Other early grants were Thomas Moore's 2000 acres known as Moore's Flat, Edward Gray's "Spring Hill' of 600 acres and J. Underwood's 500 acres.

The Badgery family, which still holds much land in the district, has had a long and useful association with Sutton Forest & Exeter. James Badgery, born near Exeter in Devonshire, reached NSW with Col. Wm. Paterson on the ship 'Walker' in November 17999. He obtained a grant of 100 acres on the Nepean River near Yarramundi in June 1803. In 1809 grants were made to Andrew, William and Ann Badgery totalling 840 acres by Col. Paterson. However Paterson had no authority to make grants and when Macquarie arrived the land was surrendered. A fresh deed for 640 acres was issued to James Badgery for the greater portion of these lands in August 1812. Meanwhile James continued to occupy the property which was on South Creek in the Bringelly district. Macquarie visited this farm in November 1810, and was pleased to find a good house built, a good garden, and a considerable quantity of ground cleared. In the 1812 deed the farm was called Exeter, a name transferred many years later to the settlement now known by that title.

Badgery's concerns prospered and by 1819 his cattle and sheep had multiplied to such an extent that his farm could not maintain them. He wrote from his South Creek farm to the Governor requesting permission to send them to the country settled beyond the Cow Pastures, or over the Blue Mountains. Macquarie granted permission in 1819 to send his cattle and sheep westward of the Blue Mountains by Cox's Pass but not through the Cow Pastures. From 1804-1823 it was an offence to cross the Nepean River into the Cow Pastures and the country beyond it without a pass. Anyone found there without a pass was liable to be arrested.

On 31/3/1821 Macquarie promised Badgery a grant of 500 acres. A promisee could choose a section where he wished to settle. Badgery obtained a permit on 12/10/1821 enabling him and another man Edward Franks and his stock to travel through the Cow Pastures and the country beyond it. Franks drove 79 head of cattle with two servants. Badgery's herd numbered 103 head.

About this time Surveyor William Harper was busy marking out grants in the Sutton Forest area. On 17/11/1821 he surveyed 500 acres for James Badgery. It seems that Badgery went to the district, knowing the surveyor was at work, in order to choose the grant authorised earlier, and have it marked out. He then placed his stock on the land.

James Badgery died at South Creek on 1/12/1827 and was buried at Liverpool; he was survived by his widow Elizabeth, his daughter Ann, and four sons: Henry, Andrew, William and James. The 1828 census showed that the widow held 1900 acres of which 500 were cleared and 200 cultivated. She owned, also, 400 cattle and 486 sheep. Henry had 800 acres at "Spring Grove" Sutton Forest . Andrew had 400 acres in the Cabramatta district. The other sons appear to have been living with their mother.

Henry Badgery was granted 201 acres in the Exeter area, on 27/5/2834 and later a consolidated grant of 1920 acres was issued; it was named 'Vine Lodge'. The settlement at Exeter is built on portion of this land. The other brothers also held land in this district.

The development of the village of Exeter began in 1889. In 11/1891 a large section of the 'Vine Lodge' property was subdivided and sold. Town lots realised from 9 shillings to 12/6 per foot, while farm blocks brought from 27 pounds 10 shillings to 32 pounds 10 shillings per acre. Some of the farm lots were bought by Arthur Yates who established a property there. Several cottages had already been built and a post office opened.

It was noted in 1891 that Exeter was going ahead. Land sold in 1889 had in some cases tripled in value and several cottages were being built, as well as houses for the railway station staff. A brick store was erected in 1894 and a bakery established in 1895.

Exeter public school was opened on 9/5/1891 and the first teacher was John Cameron. A new school building was built in 1907. A jubilee celebration was held in 1951 when a school ground beautification scheme was initiated. Trees, shrubs and roses were planted in memory of deceased pupils and residents and sweet gum trees (Liquidambar styraciflua) in honour of former pupils who had died in the two world wars.

An Anglican church was erected in 1895, its foundation stone laid by Mrs F. E. Badgery. It was dedicated in 1896.

A School of Arts was established in 1900 and a building for it was opened on land donated by Dalgety & Co. Work in 1902. A Soldiers' Memorial Hall was opened in 1922 by Mrs R.R.Dangar in St. Aidan's Church grounds, was used for Sunday School and as a meeting place for church organisations.

War Memorial Gates at the entrance to Exeter Park were unveiled by His Excellency Sir John Northcott on 12/2/1950. The acquisition of land for a park at Exeter was discussed in 1910 and the Government of the day promised 200 pounds towards the cost of the land provided residents contributed the remainder, which they agreed to do. By the middle of 1911 150 pounds had been raised and the land was purchased. (Jervis, 1962, 146-9).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Engineering the public railway system-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Role of transport in settlement-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is assessed as historically rare. This item is assessed as scientifically rare. This item is assessed as arch. rare. This item is assessed as socially rare.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0114202 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJervis, James1962A History of the Berrima District 1788-1961

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012007


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.