Georges Plains Railway Station group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Georges Plains Railway Station group

Item details

Name of item: Georges Plains Railway Station group
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -33.5187723485 Long: 149.4814160290
Primary address: Main Western railway, Georges Plains, NSW 2795
Local govt. area: Bathurst Regional
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Bathurst
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
PART LOT13 DP1183558

Boundary:

The listing boundary is defined by a line along the northern side of the tracks running parallel to the platform extending beyond the ends of the platform in each direction by approx 10 m, then crossing the tracks in a southerly direction at both the east and west ends of the platform. The southern boundary is a line extending parallel to the tracks at a distance sufficient to encompass the rear yard of the residence.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Main Western railwayGeorges PlainsBathurst Regional  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government29 Oct 98

Statement of significance:

It is one of 6 similar structures to survive in an intact form, all of which had variations in expression and detail. Although the station building has been extended and minor changes have been made to the site it is a relatively intact small country station in good condition with an overall historic and visual unity that enhances its significance. The structures form, with the nearby classified Anglican church, a strong visual statement in the landscape and townscape particularly when viewed from the level crossing to the north (SRA, 1999).
Date significance updated: 10 Aug 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: BUILDINGS
station/residence - type 1 sub-type 2,1876
signal box - timber with skillion roof,1913
'out of' shed - timber

STRUCTURES
platform faces - brick
dock platform

LANDSCAPE
planting

ARTEFACTS
platform signs (SRA, 1999).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
2005:- Fair to good: some loose roofing iron observed.
Date condition updated:10 Aug 09
Current use: residence
Former use: railway station group

History

Historical notes: Parish of Grantham at Georges Plains
The Parish of Grantham, County of Bathurst was first surveyed about 1823 and the original land grants were allocated at that time.

(King) Georges Plains:
Georges Plains is located approximately 12 kms south of Bathurst, via Perthville. Within the land of the Wiradjuri people the village of Georges Plains, named by European settlers in honour of King George III, was one of at least three Government stock stations established when the western side of the Macquarie was reserved for Government use.

European settlement in this area originally consisted of large pastoral grants and the village of Georges Plains was once a fully functioning township servicing the needs of the rural area. It is still possible to see the remnants of the shop and post office in the main street, the pleasing, picturesque railway station still stands, as if waiting to welcome alighting passengers, and the old pub remains, but as a private residence. The school masters house is also now a private home, but the one room Georges Plains Public School - which endeavoured to educate generations of local children - was burnt down in 1973.

Although many of the original large grants were broken up and the prosperity of high wool prices of the 1950s has now declined, some of the descendants of the first settlers still reside in the area and many of the early buildings and homes still stand.

The township of Georges Plains has lost much of its original character and function, but St John's Church is a reminder of the workmanship, strength and courage of its time... It is also a unique reminder of the generosity of pastoralist Joseph Smith, who owned nearby 'Mildura', one of the land grants in the Georges Plains area. It is thought that the death of his young son may have influenced his generous donation of the land and the building costs of the exquisite St John's Church, built in 1867 and designed by architect Edward Gell (Bathurst District Historical Society, 2006).

Brief History of 'King Georges Plains By Gowan McDonald
Within the land of the Wiradjuri people the village of Georges Plains, named by European Settlers in honour of King George 111 of England, was one of at least three Government stock stations established when the western side of the Macquarie was reserved for Government use.

European settlement in this area originally consisted of large pastoral grants and the village of Georges Plains was once a fully functioning township servicing the needs of the rural area.

It is still possible to see the remnants of the shop and post office in the main street, the pleasing, picturesque railway station still stands, as if waiting to welcome alighting passengers, and the old pub remains, but as a private residence. The school masters house, also now a private home, is evidence to what was once Georges Plains Public School; a one room school house burnt down in 1973, that endeavoured to educate generations of local children.

Although many of these large grants were broken up and the prosperity of high wool prices of the 1950's has now declined, some of the descendents of the first settlers still reside in the area and many of the buildings and homes still stand.

The township of Georges Plains has lost much of its original character and function, but St John's Church, standing shyly obscured behind large trees, is a reminder of the workmanship, strength and courage of its time; of something beyond the apathy and arrogance of many modern day buildings, and a unique reminder of the generosity of pastoralist Joseph Smith, who owned `Mildura', one of the land grants in the Georges Plains area.

It is thought that the death of his young son may have influenced his generous donation of the land and the building costs of the exquisite St John's Church, built in 1867 and designed by architect Edward Gell.

In this idyllic pastoral area the vision of a wholesome, simple, peaceful country life can still be seen in the country decency and fortitude, within the rich creek flats and the gently winding roads, and within the essence of the shimmering golden pastures (Heritage Study, 2005).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Public tramline system-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Engineering the public railway system-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Administering the public railway system-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis Railways to inland settlements-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
This item is assessed as historically rare. This item is assessed as scientifically rare. This item is assessed as arch. rare. This item is assessed as socially rare.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0114702 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Evans Shire Council Heritage Study1987#2Hughes Trueman Ludlow  No
State Rail Authority Heritage Register Study1999SARA335State Rail Authority  No
Bathurst District Heritage Study Review2005F/N 56Hickson, BarbaraBarbara Hickson Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012012
File number: EF14/4369


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.