Jerilderie Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Jerilderie Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Jerilderie Railway Station Group
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -35.3602576327 Long: 145.7264690510
Primary address: Nowranie Street, Jerilderie, NSW 2716
Parish: Jerilderie South
County: Urana
Local govt. area: Jerilderie
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
PART LOT78 DP756426
LOT1 DP774333

Boundary:

The listing boundary is Nowranie St to the north, including the Station Masters Residence (Lot 1 DP 774333), Coonong Street to the South, a line intersecting from Brown Street to the East and Kennedy Street to the west. Refer to Heritage Council Plan 1906.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Nowranie StreetJerilderieJerilderieJerilderie SouthUranaPrimary Address
Narrandera-Tocumwal railwayJerilderieJerilderie  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
former Jerilderie Shire CouncilLocal Government 
RailCorpState Government02 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

The Jerilderie Railway Station Group and Station Masters Residence are important complimentary elements of an excellent example of a standard roadside station arrangement as designed by John Whitton and constructed by Charles Hardy builder of Wagga Wagga circa 1884. The Station building and Stations Masters Residence have retained much of their integrity in building forms and many architectural details. The Station Masters Residence retains roof form, three chimney flue tops concave form verandah roof, chamfered posts and bressummer, cast iron corner brackets, rendered architraves with segmental arch heads to doors and windows. Low roof pitch at 17.5 degrees is unusual for railway residences.
The Station and Station Masters Residence buildings are significant in a small relatively isolated rural town and it illustrates the importance the railways anticipated having in their development of Jerilderie area and in wresting trade away from Victoria. The diminishment of railway activity brought about by improved roads and road transport is manifested by the decay and removal of infrastructure along the railway corridors and in the precinct of Jerilderie Station arrangement. The Station Masters Residence and Station building group are important architectural and aesthetic items for the township of Jerilderie particularly as masonry structures derivative from British railways when compared with timber and weatherboard pioneer stations at Finley, Urana, and Oaklands etc. The line and therefore de jure the station buildings was used during World War II for Defence purposes and was part of the transport network integral to the development of Tocumwal Airbase and the defence of the Australian Nation.
(Young, 2002)
Date significance updated: 31 Dec 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: John Whitton
Builder/Maker: Charles Hardy
Construction years: 1884-1885
Physical description: The centrepiece of the arrangement of railway facilities at Jerilderie is the passenger station and platform. Jerilderie railway platform was 400 feet long (including ramps at each end), constructed on the up side of the branch line. On the platform, an imposing single storey station building, 153 feet-6 inches long was built in Empire style of English bond brickwork with 37 degree pitch, gabled roofs clad with CI Roofing.
Jerilderie station building incorporated (from the Sydney-end):
Lamp Room
Equipment Shed (with large underground water tank)
Parcels Office
Station Master’s Office
General Waiting Room
Ticket Office
Ladies Waiting Room & WC
Gents Urinals & WC
A number of other structures were built at Jerilderie in the mid 1884 period, apart from the railway platform and station building.

The major items included the Goods Warehouse (commonly referred to as the Goods Shed), Cattle Races, Station Master’s Residence, Engine Shed, Coal Stage, Turntable Pit and elevated Water Tank.

Over the next 60 years, additional structures and yard modification were completed.

A signal Diagram was issued by the Office of the Signal & Telegraph Engineer on 18 March 1941 and illustrated the layout of the railway facilities at Jerilderie. This diagram probably represented the development of railway facilities at Jerilderie at its maximum extent.

Description of railway facilities 1941 period
Jerilderie was located on the single line branch between the junction station of Narrandera and the ultimate branch terminus station at Tocumwal.

Station Master’s Residence
Circa 1884 is a standard design three chimney, English bond brick residence with concave roofed verandah sheltering central door and two single double hung sash windows, four front rooms, have a pyramid hipped 17.5 degree pitched roof, kitchen has an extension of main hipped roof with bathroom and laundry built as skillion roofs extending to the east form underside of eaves of main roof. An additional skillion part fibro sheeted walled porch and room further extend under lower skillion roofs. External door and windows with rendered architraves are extant. A rail line post with concrete plank sides coal bunker is located between mainline and house is extant as evidence of heating fuel store provided for station master in station building and residence.
(Young, 2002)
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Station Building original forms and fabric are readily discernable and more recently State Rail Estate carried out underpinning of footings, maintenance, repainting and landscaping. Although station building has suffered form long-term stresses from foundation movements it is in good condition. Platform is also extant including levers for signals at east end of platform.

Original form and fabric of exterior of original building and design are extant and readily discernable. Internally windows and trim thereto survive, as does cast iron stove in kitchen.

Building has the evidence of long term foundation soil movements exacerbated by poor site drainage and trees causing extreme distress and cracking. Walls internally have been over sheeted over a long term with strapped fibro sheets and more recently with plaster board that has also torn. Original doors architraves skirtings and chimneypieces have been removed from place. Front concrete verandah floor has subsided and cracked.
(Young, 2002)
Date condition updated:23 Dec 02
Modifications and dates: Station Building
Platform fences and gates removed - Unknown date
Lavatory cesspits removed/filled - Unknown date
East and west sheds removed - Unknown date
Original front porch and Verandahs removed - Unknown date
Station building converted to residence and CI clad infill built at location of west end shed - 1993
Reconstruction of front porch and verandah - 2001
Repairs maintenance repainting - 2001/2002
Landscaping to front of station building - 2002

Station Masters Residence
Addition at rear of fibro walled skillion roof room and porch - unknown
considerable intrusion - c1950’s
Addition of strapped fibro sheet internal linings removal of original doors - pre 1984
installation of flush panel sliding doors - considerable loss. - c1960’s
Removal of chimneypieces - considerable loss. - Unknown date
Addition of internal plaster board wall linings to hallway - considerable intrusion - c1990’s
Replacement of original ogee profile eaves gutters - considerable loss - Unknown
Poor repairs to external wall cracking and saw cut control joints -considerable intrusion - 1990’s
Installation of kitchen cupboards - considerable intrusion. - 1990’s
(Young, 2002)

History

Historical notes: The Jerilderie Railway Station precinct and buildings was designed by John Whitton Engineer in Chief of the NSW railways from 1856-1888. Whitton designed much of extant NSW railways infrastructure including station buildings. His particular design ethos has created a genre of railway station and station master’s house designs that are recognisable and distinctive throughout NSW.

The Station and Station Masters Residence buildings are significant in a small relatively isolated rural town and it illustrates the importance the railways anticipated having in their development of Jerilderie area and in wresting trade away from Victoria. The diminishment of railway activity brought about by improved roads and road transport is manifested by the decay and removal of infrastructure along the railway corridors and in the precinct of Jerilderie Station arrangement.

Jerilderie Station Complex was used continuously from September 1884 until February 6 1987 as a major transport Centre for Jerilderie.

Jerilderie Railway precinct buildings are important as part of the body of works Charles Hardy a pre-eminent builder of Wagga Wagga, trained in London, arrived in Melbourne in 1854, aged 21, and Wagga in 1862, with Thomas Hodson with whom he formed a partnership until 1877 when Hodson went to live in Sydney. Hardy continued as Charles Hardy & Co a firm that by the 1970’s employed 250 people. Charles Hardy died in 1908.

Charles Hardy and his workers constructed the buildings at Jerilderie in 1884.

Charles Hardy established himself as the pre-eminent builder in Wagga Wagga. Hardy had learnt his trade as an apprentice in London. The Thomas Hodson partnership early commissions included the Methodist Church (opened April 1865, now demolished), the Australian Joint Stock Bank (built pre 1870, now demolished) and David Copland’s Hall of Commerce in 1872.

After 1875 Charles Hardy was responsible for most of the major buildings in Wagga Wagga, including home, churches, school buildings, railway stations, flour mills and the Council Chambers. Hardy had control over most aspects of the building process, including the supply of all materials. The firm had their own brickyards, lime kilns and lumberyard. Limestone was obtained from Mundarlo and shipped down the Murrumbidgee River by paddle steamer. According to a contemporary account

By 1880’s the business included a steam joinery at Newtown, steam sawmills at Devlin’s Siding (Ganmain), brick and tile works in Docker Street and stone quarries at Buckenbong near Narrandera’. Later Hardy bought the brickyards established by George Liscombe in Albury Road, at the south end of town (later Bourke Street) and by the 1920’s they had also established a sawmill at Tumbarumba. The company was floated in 1922, as the Riverina Distributors. Charles Hardy died in 1908. He was succeeded by Charles Hardy Junior and W.H. Hardy. In 1924 a hardware store was established in Baylis Street, later moving to Chaston Street. During the 1970’s the firm employed 250 people.

Charles Hardy ‘…insisted on a high standard of work. He brought most of his tradesmen from England and personally supervised most of the building himself, travelling long distances in a sulky. Operation extended to Albury, Corowa, Deniliquin and Euston’. In keeping with the changing trend in architectural ornamentation, which took place during the federation era, Hardy favoured the use of fine joinery both internally and externally.

Buildings known to have been constructed by Charles Hardy & Co. include: Dorset Cottage in Trail Street, the Hardy family home (now much altered); the Wagga Wagga Public School, Gurwood Street 1872; the Bank of NSW, 1874; Bomen Railway Station, built by Charles Hardy, Matthew Callaghan and Stapleton Minchin from October 1877; Borambola, commissioned by John Donnelly in 1878; Wagga Wagga Railway Station, built by Charles Hardy, Ebenezer Shaw and Stapleton Minchin from October 1879; 1884 Union (later ANZ) Bank (designed by Williiam Wilkinson Wardell and later modified); Wagga Wagga Council Chambers, late 1880’s; 81-83 Johnston Street, built c1890 by Charles Hardy, possibly for the Hardy family (the Hardys built other similar building in the Gurwood/Trail/Johnston Streets area, none of which are extant); Toonga, Tarcutta, built 1895 for Alfred Mate, a son of T.H Mate of Tarcutta; 55 Trail Street, ‘Athalie’, built for one time Wagga Mayor John McGrath, circa early 1890’s; Uranquinty School, built in 1899; Wagga Wagga Court House, designed by Walter Liberty Vernon and built in 1900; 40 Trail Street, built form Mr Jim Hawkins early 1900’s; 100 Peter Street; 77 Johnston Street, designed by William Monks as his own residence (presumably built by CH); 16 The Esplanade, and all buildings and structures at Hay Railway Station precinct. Gerogery station building contract drawing has Charles Hardys signature there on. He is also thought to have constructed all railway structures from Junee to Narrandera.
(Young, 2002)

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Jerilderie Railway Station Group illustrates a phase in development of the Southern Riverina railway network. It demonstrates as a response by the Government of NSW in the 1880’s:
To changing land use in the Riverina and the transport of agricultural produce particularly after the Land Selection Acts with smaller farmers involved in cultivation of crops as compared to the grazing industry associated with squatters.
An attempt to entice trade away from Victorian ports in a pre-Federation era.
Jerilderie Railway Station Precinct played an important role in the movement of troops during the second World War and the development of the strategic air force base at Tocumwal and in the defence of the Brisbane line.
(Young, 2002)
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The Jerilderie Railway Station Group and buildings was designed by John Whitton Engineer in Chief of the NSW railways from 1856-1888. Whitton designed much of extant NSW railways infrastructure including station buildings. His particular design ethos has created a genre of railway station and station master’s house designs that are recognisable and distinctive throughout NSW.
Jerilderie Railway Station Group are important as part of the body of works Charles Hardy a pre-eminent builder of Wagga Wagga, trained in London, arrive in Melbourne in 1854, aged 21, and moved to Wagga in 1862, with Thomas Hodson with whom he formed a partnership until 1872 when Hodson went to live in Sydney. Hardy continued as Charles Hardy & Co. a firm that by the 1970’s employed 250 people. Charles Hardy died in 1908.
(Young, 2002)
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
John Whitton developed standardised designs for some of NSW’s railway stations. Jerilderie Railway Station is a typical exemplar of this practice for standard roadside station buildings.
Whittons development of a standardised approach to Public building design was relatively innovative for colonial NSW in the 1880’s.
The genre of station house design of which Jerilderie Railway Station Master’s House is representative is aesthetically distinctive in its use of architectural stylistic elements and planning principles.
The cast iron lattice work on buildings are of particular aesthetic significance to the railway precinct.
Charles Hardy ‘… Insisted on a high standard of work. He brought most of his tradesmen from England and personally supervised most of the building himself, travelling long distances in a sulky. Operation extended to Albury, Corowa, Deniliquin and Euston’. In keeping with the changing trend in architectural ornamentation, which took place during the federation era, Hardy favoured the use of fine joinery both internally and externally.
(Young, 2002)
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Jerilderie Station buildings demonstrate the principal characteristics of a standard roadside railway station arrangement post 1875 and as designed by John Whitton.
Jerilderie Station buildings and original infrastructure has many of the principal characteristics of a British derived design for railway station buildings from 19th century and colonial NSW.
Jerilderie Station buildings reflect through their planning, detailing and internal architectural elements the hieratic nature for the NSW railways in the 19th century
Jerilderie Station buildings have retained much of their original form and have a high integrity.
(Young, 2002)
Integrity/Intactness: The Jerilderie Railway Station and former Station Master’s Residence is considered to retain many aspects that make it significant.
(Young, 2002)
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0165817 Apr 03 744520
Heritage Act - Interim Heritage Order - Former 0005518 Jan 02 25237
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenK Young2002State Heritage Inventory Form
WrittenK. Young1992Restoration - Maintenance Strategy Jerilderie Railway Station
WrittenP. Freeman2001Wagga Wagga City Council Urban Heritage Study
WrittenR. Love2000Description of Railway Facilities at Jerilderie

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012058
File number: H00/00759


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.