Junee Railway Station, yard, locomotive depot | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Junee Railway Station, yard, locomotive depot

Item details

Name of item: Junee Railway Station, yard, locomotive depot
Other name/s: Roundhouse, Round House
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -34.8843841126 Long: 147.5794229590
Primary address: Main Southern railway, Junee, NSW 2663
Local govt. area: Junee
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Wagga Wagga
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
PART LOT2 DP1066082
LOT5 DP866583

Boundary:

The listing boundary is in a number of sections. The station group is bounded by Seignor Street to the west, the Broadway Street level crossing to the north, Main Street and Lorne Streets to the east and a line across the tracks 50 metres past the end of the platform to the south. The roundhouse boundary is formed by the railway tracks to the east, Harold Street to the west, Railway Parade to the north and the boundary of the the property to the south.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Main Southern railwayJuneeJunee  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government02 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

One of the principal locomotive servicing and maintenance depots for steam locomotives (later diesel-electric locomotives and diesel rail cars) in use in the far southern region of the state, including those locomotives in use on the mainline and branchlines in the area. Those branchlines included the Junee-Narrandera area and all branches radiating from there, and the numerous branches which junction with the main southern line between Wagga Wagga and Albury. The 42-road roundhouse was completed in the late 1940s period. Junee roundhouse was the largest complete roundhouse building in the state, and the locomotive depot serviced, repaired and maintained the largest steam motive power in use in the state for more than 25 years. The depot remained in government service for approximately 46 years.

Many major components of important railway centres and work precincts have been demolished or otherwise removed or substantially modified and as a consequence, their past use can no longer be shown.

In the 1940s, through to the 1950s period (arguably the pinnacle of steam locomotive operations in the state), the railway precinct at Junee consisted of a large railway station, a relatively large and important shunting yard, a Train Control Centre, two large signal boxes, junction arrangements for the Junee-Narrandera-Hay-Griffith branchline and a relatively modern locomotive depot. The depot comprised a roundhouse, large elevated coal bunker (for fuelling steam locomotives), boiler wash-out plant, ash handling arrangements, large and modern machine shop and a substantial amount of equipment essential for the rapid and efficient servicing and repair of the steam locomotives working in the district.

In recent years, the large marshalling yard, although essentially intact is used for stowing train loads, rather than the original function of re-marshalling trains. In addition, a number of the significant items of equipment installed at the locomotive depot have been removed or demolished, mostly associated with the removal of steam locomotives from service and the then increasing use of diesel-electric locomotives.

The roundhouse and some of the other items associated with the depot remain in situ and are in remarkably good condition.

Deleted items include the coal bunker, de-ashing arrangement, hot water boiler wash-out plant and a number of small buildings.

The roundhouse at Junee represents a good example of a once busy and extremely large and significant locomotive servicing centre.

The extant building, which represents the Junee locomotive depot precinct is assessed as having state significance.
Date significance updated: 11 Aug 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: New South Wales Government Railways
Builder/Maker: Way and Works Branch - New South Wales Government Railways
Construction years: 1943-1947
Physical description: Components:
1. Station (1883)
2. Yard;
3. Locomotive Depot / Roundhouse (1943-7)

1. Station (1883)
A good example of a Victorian Italianate Renaissance style railway station that has an important relationship in the urban sense to the other major buildings of the township (NTA, 1976).

Italianate building in the Ritz style, built in 1883 under the direction of John Whitton, Chief Engineer of the N.S.W.G.R. Symmetrically designed, the single storey low central section has its roof concealed by a parapet and is flanked either side by square pavilions having mansarade curved roofs. Walls are face brick* and stucco with cast iron entrance verandah and platform canopy.
* tuckpointed flemish bond Architectural Style: Brick (NTA, 1976).

The Junee station building is an interesting building architecturally for its Victorian Free Classical style incorporates French Second Empire characteristics in the form of mansard roofs. The single storey building is constructed of face brick, with stucco decoration. It is symmetrical with a low, parapetted roof; round or segmented pediments are centrally located on the parapet on the street and platform sides. The cornice beneath the parapet has paired brackets. At each end of the station there is a square pavilion with a mansard roof and a facetted bay to the street side. An iron entrance verandah runs between the two pavilions on the street facade. There is stucco decoration to window surrounds, including label moulds. A long, iron verandah runs along the platform and the posts have decorative brackets; there is decorative iron work in the ends of the verandah roof. The station's chimneys are rendered. Simple stuccoed quoins are found on the building's corners. At one end of the station there is a small building of similar style and construction. The railway station is a key element in the streetscape of this part of Junee. Together with the large hotels and other buildings nearby, the station plays an important role in creating the historic qualities of central Junee (RNE, 1978).

The Station complex (in a 1944 photograph) included a garden room developed in the spaces between railway structures and buildings. Junee's was formally structured, with a central foungain and pond, circular path around it, perimeter paths, lawn and formal arrangement of flower beds cut into the lawn (Longworth, 2012, 7).

2. Yard:

3. Locomotive Depot / Roundhouse
As built, the roundhouse and turntable arrangement at Junee consisted of a forty-two road roundhouse laid out in a radial pattern, from a central turntable. (This is a typical arrangement for roads laid out in a roundhouse). In addition, two roads allowed for arrival and departure of locomotives from the roundhouse roads.

The extant roundhouse building at Junee is circular in form, providing cover over 42 roads (1-42), with the remaining two roads, (the access/egress roads) being uncovered. It is of interest to note that each 'half' of the roundhouse (i.e. the sector on either side of the arrival and departure roads) are of slightly different dimensions, to suit differing sizes in motive power. The inspection pits within each 'half' are of different lengths to suit the different motive power.

Principal Dimensions
Length of side wall (i.e. from front doorway to rear wall of roundhouse) : 67 feet (west-side shed) and 82 feet (east-side shed).
Approx. outside diameter of circle scribed by roundhouse : 400 feet

The principal construction features include a peaked roof formed by interior roof trusses with a ventilating ridge mounted on the peak of the roof. The roof is actually two symmetrically sloped roof sections. As built, smoke chutes above each shed road (forty-two in total) were provided, extending through the roof, mounted in the sloping roof section closest to the outer wall of the building. These were used for venting smoke to atmosphere from within the building. With the arrival of the diesel-electric locomotives, some of these chutes were removed or modified.

Principal construction materials are brick with roof trusses supported on concrete columns. Timber beams and trusses with steel bracing and straps are also used in construction. Flooring is concrete. Windows / translucent sheeting is provided in sections of the rear or outer wall to assist with natural lighting. Inspection pits and steps are provided on each road. (NB. It should be noted that some of the original construction materials and features have had minor changes and improvements during the 80 year life of the building).

Other equipment associated with the locomotive roundhouse and depot includes a 100 foot diameter electrically operated turntable (the only one in the state), a machine shop, a store and amenities building, and a number of administrative buildings.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building was in constant government service for more than 45 years, followed by 9 years of service as a railway heritage collection centre and private railway operator’s maintenance depot. Consequently, some sections of the structure show signs of minor wear and tear.

Apart from some minor deterioration and alterations carried out as the form of motive power changed, and the local heritage group occupied the premises, the building and other equipment is in reasonably good condition, both internally and externally.
Date condition updated:11 Aug 06
Modifications and dates: Locomotive Depot/Roundhouse
1943 - commencement of new roundhouse at Junee, south of the railway yard, replacing the original locomotive shed north of the railway station, adjacent to the line to Narrandera,
1947 - completion of engineering works, earthworks, workshops, watering arrangements. Depot officially opened 29 September 1947
1950 period - improvements to workshops, barrack accommodation, coal stage,
1952 - modifications to suit diesel-electric locomotives,
1972 - removal of steam locomotives from the region, modifications to depot to suit complete diesel-electric operations,
1993 - depot closed as far as Government operations were concerned,
1995 period - depot taken over by RHTA and Austrac.
Further information: Steam locomotive servicing areas, commonly referred to as locomotive depots, date from the earliest days of the NSW railways (the 1855 period). During the 1940s and 1950s, it is estimated that in excess of 150 sites (similar to, but smaller than Junee) were in existence in the state.

These servicing sites included more than 140 locomotive sheds and roundhouses.

In the year 2002 there are only nine roundhouses or part roundhouses remaining in the state, with sixteen having been demolished.
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Railway Station

History

Historical notes: Railway construction commenced in New South Wales during the early 1850s and culminated with the opening of the Sydney to Parramatta railway in 1855. (In fact the railway was opened between an area of land near present-day Redfern station and was completed to a site near present-day Granville station). Construction in the Newcastle area also commenced in the mid-1850s and a train service was inaugurated from Newcastle (near present-day Civic) to Maitland (actually East Maitland) in 1857.

In 1863, eight years after railway construction commenced in the state, the southern line had only been extended as far as Picton, 53 miles south of Sydney. It was to be another six years before the Great Southern Railway (GSR) was opened into Goulburn (134 miles from Sydney) on 27 May 1869. On 6 July 1878, the line was opened into the town of Junee. Three years were to elapse before the railway extended into Wagga Wagga. On 3 February 1881, the southern line was opened into the border town of Albury.

With the opening of the railway in 1878, the then township of 'Junee' became 'Junee Junction' when a line was opened between Junee and Narrandera on 28 February 1881. This line was later extended to Hay.

Over the next few years, many new branchlines were opened in the south west areas and Junee became the centre of rail operations.

The Junee section of the Cootamundra-Wagga Railway Line (part of the southern line to Albury) opened on 6 July 1878. A timber station building was constructed, and in 1881 the branch line to Narrandera from Junee Junction was opened. Junee henceforth became a major rail centre of the region and of New South Wales, with railway workshops having been moved to the town from Wagga. Junee developed rapidly during the 1880s as a result of its status as an important rail town. The arrival of the railway in Junee took place during the first main phase of railway building (1854-88) in the colony.

The original station building burned down in January 1882. Plans for a new building (the present station) were approved on 21 February 1883 and the station was opened by MLA Mr Abbott on 5 March 1885; the station (including refreshment rooms) cost 3,434 pounds. The Junee station building is an interesting building architecturally for its Victorian Free Classical style incorporates French Second Empire characteristics in the form of mansard roofs. The single storey building is constructed of face brick, with stucco decoration. It is symmetrical with a low, parapetted roof; round or segmented pediments are centrally located on the parapet on the street and platform sides. The cornice beneath the parapet has paired brackets. At each end of the station there is a square pavilion with a mansard roof and a facetted bay to the street side. An iron entrance verandah runs between the two pavilions on the street facade. There is stucco decoration to window surrounds, including label moulds. A long, iron verandah runs along the platform and the posts have decorative brackets; there is decorative iron work in the ends of the verandah roof. The station's chimneys are rendered. Simple stuccoed quoins are found on the building's corners. At one end of the station there is a small building of similar style and construction. The railway station is a key element in the streetscape of this part of Junee. Together with the large hotels and other buildings nearby, the station plays an important role in creating the historic qualities of central Junee (RNE, 1978).

The Station Building was constructed under the direction of John Whitton, Chief Engineer of the N.S.W.G.R. (NTA, 1976).

The importance of Junee was well illustrated when the extent of the facilities is considered. A relatively large railway yard, large and well-equipped railway station, junction arrangements for the Narrandera / Hay line and a locomotive depot were established there.

The extent of the roundhouse, turntable, ash and coaling arrangements, workshop and repair capacities, watering facilities, and other structures show the importance of this major locomotive servicing point.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building and maintaining the public railway system-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The historic value of the locomotive roundhouse and turntable at Junee should be considered in a statewide context. The items are historically significant because they represent part of a fine example of an important locomotive depot, the principal repair, locomotive service and maintenance facility for the far southern region of the state. The depot, its servicing facilities and the men who worked there were responsible for provision of reliable mainline and branch line locomotives operating on the main southern line and on the lengthy branchlines.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Junee roundhouse is (was) part of a statewide network of locomotive servicing centres which comprises buildings of this style (i.e. roundhouses), buildings incorporating straight engine sheds or open areas where locomotives were repaired or stabled.
Most of these centres have been removed from railway service, but this roundhouse and the other equipment shows the link between trains, local industry, engineering capacity, handling of mainline and branchline passenger and goods services and local employment.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
A railway precinct such as Junee, complete with passenger station, locomotive depot and equipment, marshalling yard and other railway facilities immediately gives the appearance of intense activities in all weathers. Much of the evidence of the past activities at Junee has been deleted, but there are a number of representative and significant structures extant. The item is aesthetically significant because the original fabric and architectural features of the 1940s built roundhouse are intact.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Railway stations, signal boxes, shunting yards and locomotive depots represent a place of work in both railway employment terms and state employment terms. The 'railways' were for many years, the largest employer in NSW, with staff in all corners of the state in numerous positions. The railways were (and still are) a 24 hour / day, seven day / week operation and staff were employed to maintain that position.

The roundhouse, turntable and other structures which comprise Junee locomotive depot are socially significant because they are excellent representations of a source of much employment in the southern highlands region of the state. The wages for these employees added to the local prosperity. In addition, the success of local business resulted from their ability and opportunity to supply the local railway establishments with goods and services. Large and busy railway facilities in town usually meant success and prosperity for the locality.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Junee locomotive depot with the roundhouse, turntable and other railway buildings represent a past era. The precinct illustrates an era where large scale transport of passengers and goods by rail was commonplace. The roundhouse and other equipment were essential for these intense rail activities, involving passenger and goods, in an age when trains were the principal means of transport for the population.

The items are technically and research significant because the roundhouse and its equipment are the remnants of a past era, located in an area of the state where railway played so much a part in development and essential transport, both interstate and intrastate.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Steam locomotives were the principal form of railway motive power in New South Wales for approximately 110 years (1855-1965). As such, steam locomotive servicing facilities incorporating engine sheds or roundhouse were established at approximately 150 sites in the state. It is also estimated that 120 straight engine sheds and 25 roundhouses were also built, all there buildings being part of statewide locomotive servicing arrangements.

By the year 2002, only four engine sheds remain in the state, and nine roundhouses (or part roundhouses) are extant.

The Junee roundhouse is assessed as being a rare and endangered example of the state’s historical and cultural environment.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The basic shape and form of railway roundhouses are similar – a circular or part circular building containing railway tracks arranges radially (fan shaped) around a centrally placed turntable.

There were differences in design of roundhouse buildings, mainly associated with roof shape, numbers of roads enclosed, location of windows and construction materials.

Demolition and removal of many roundhouses (16) and most engine sheds has resulted in the loss of many features of these railway buildings.

Junee roundhouse represents a class of industrial building which has almost disappeared from the state.
Integrity/Intactness: Externally, the building retains its typical railway appearance. Even though its original purpose (the servicing of steam locomotives) has been altered to suit newer motive power, with a subsequent change to work methods and equipment, the integrity of the roundhouse has been retained.

Internally, the building retains a high degree of integrity due to the retention of original construction features and details.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0117302 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Tourism 2007Junee Roundhouse Museum View detail
WrittenLongworth, Jim2012Conservation Guide: Railway Gardens View detail
WrittenRay Love2000Locomotive Roundhouse at Junee. Heritage Assessment
TourismRegional Heritage Transport Association Junee Roundhouse Museum View detail

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012059


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.