Richmond Railway Station and yard group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Richmond Railway Station and yard group

Item details

Name of item: Richmond Railway Station and yard group
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -33.5988899976 Long: 150.7526299960
Primary address: Blacktown-Richmond railway, Richmond, NSW 2753
Local govt. area: Hawkesbury
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Deerubbin

Boundary:

West: the RailCorp property boundary fronting East Market Street; South: the property boundary along Down line to carpark (excluding carpark); North: the property boundary at the rear of the shops (including carpark); East: western edge of Page Street.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Blacktown-Richmond railwayRichmondHawkesbury  Primary Address
East Market StreetRichmondHawkesbury  Alternate Address
March StreetRichmondHawkesbury  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government16 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

Richmond Railway Station is of state significance as an early railway station dating from 1867 that was instrumental in opening up the farming district of the Hawkesbury to provide transport for fresh produce to the Sydney markets. The 1880s station building is a fine example of a Victorian second-class station building and provides evidence of the prosperity and growth of Richmond following the arrival of the railway during the nineteenth century. The station remains as the terminus for the Richmond Branch Line and is significant as a landmark in the historic town and for its continuity of use for over 140 years. The Kurrajong siding is significant as evidence of the former branch line which operated between Richmond and Kurrajong from 1926 - 1952.
Date significance updated: 01 Nov 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: NSW Government Railways
Builder/Maker: Private contractors, J. McDonald, William Searle & Joseph Poulton
Physical description: BUILDINGS
Station Building - type 3, second-class (1881)
Cleaning Store (1950)

STRUCTURES
Platform - brick faced (1881)
Dock platform - remnant brick & grassed island (1926)
Kurrajong line remains (1926)

STATION BUILDING (1881)
External: The brick station building is a type 3 'Second Class' station building dating to 1881. It is a symmetrical building on a centre access with wings at both ends of the building. It has a slate hipped roof with a centre transverse gable. The three painted brick chimneys are a striking feature with their decorative stone and arched chimney pots. The windows are generally timber double hung with stone or concrete lintels and sills. Transom lights are located above most of the timber four panel doors, although some have been removed to accommodate services such as air-conditioning. Painted decorative dentilated mouldings are located at the top of the walls under the eaves. The exterior is punctuated with a variety of new services and signs related to the daily operations of the station.

The Platform 1 side has a corrugated iron sheeted ogee verandah roof supported on timber columns with sandstone bases that extends only partway along the building. The Platform 2 side has a skillion roofed verandah with decorative iron columns and brackets that extend along the entirety of the central section of the building. It is also sheeted in corrugated style metal sheeting. Modern seating, ticket machines, garbage bins and gardens are located at various locations. The female toilets located on the platform have what appear to be restored early marble and timber station signs hung on the exterior walls.

Internal: the building retains its historic character despite the 1990s refurbishment. Internal detailing includes some mini orb ceilings, ceiling roses, blocked up fireplaces with timber surrounds, moulded plaster cornices, timber window and door frames, architraves and skirtings. Many services are surface mounted.

CLEANING STORE (1950)
A flat roofed, detached brick building which has been constructed as a cleaners room stands between the station building and the edge of Platform 1.

PLATFORM (1881)
Richmond Station has a brick faced island platform with concrete deck and asphalt finish. Modern buffers are located at the end of the rail line. White aluminium palisade fencing has been erected around the station and pedestrian crossing at the end of the line as a safety barrier.

DOCK PLATFORM (1926)
The dock platform remains as a brick and grassed island in the middle of the northern carpark.

KURRAJONG LINE AND YARD REMAINS (1926)
The former Kurrajong line sidings, former sidings, stock yards, turntable and engine shed appear to be visible under the car park which has been topped with asphalt surface. Remnants may survive below the new surface.

LANDSCAPE FEATURES
There are a number of mature trees and plantings on the eastern side of the platform that add to the significant setting of the station.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The station in general is in good condition.

The station building is in good condition apart from a few minor issues on Platform 2 near the ticket window where a waterpipe appears to have created some ongoing damp issues to the base of the building that have resulted in mortar degradation and flaking paint. It is also evident that repointing works carried out with hard cement mortar resulted in some deterioration on brick substrate.

Cleaner's room is generally in good condition.

Platform is in good condition.

Dock platform is in Moderate condition.

Kurrajong line remains could not be inspected.
Modifications and dates: 1890 - Kitchen erected at gate house.
1897 - Engine shed extended.
1900 - Carriage shelter shed provided.
1903 - Station Master’s house damaged by fire.
1908 - Platform extended.
1909 - Purchase of land to extend the yard.
1912 - Platform extended.
1914 - Rest house erected.
1916 - Interlocked.
1923 - Runround loop laid in at platform.
1925 - Turntable site relocated.
1927 - An additional water column installed.
1950s - A detached cleaners’ building was erected at the rear of the platform building.
1952 - Water tank transferred to Dunheved.
1957 - Providing lighting at the water column, coal stage and in the engine shed.
1967 - 600 Class two-car diesel train introduced on branch.
1971 - Last steam passenger service ran.
1984 - Engine shed removed.
1987 - Gate house demolished.
1996 - All rooms were internally altered and some given new uses, except the general Waiting Room.
(Forsyth, 2009)

The yard and evidence of the Kurrajong line appears to have been entirely removed except for an additional line behind Platform 1. Some minor changes have been made to some doors, windows and signage of the Station. The skillion roof signal box c1916 appears to have been demolished.
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Railway Station and yard

History

Historical notes: The Richmond line opened in 1864 as a rural branch line in response to the area's success as a farming district and its location at the intersection of two stock routes.

In 1856, a petition for the establishment of a railway from the residents of Windsor and Richmond had been presented to the Government. In 1860 a grant of (Pounds)57,000 was approved for a railway between Blacktown and Windsor. In the following year it was increased to (Pounds)60,000 for a railway between Blacktown and Richmond. Contracts for earthworks, permanent ways and bridges were let from 1862. The line was opened on 29th November 1864 by Governor Sir John Young. A pilot engine was run before all passenger trains for safety. The original stations were Riverstone, Mulgrave, Windsor and Richmond. Upgrade to the track took place in the late nineteenth century.

A major upgrading of most stations on the line occurred in the 1880s, including Richmond. The present brick platform building dates from 1881, prior to the opening of Windsor station, although the two station buildings are almost identical.

The early decades of the 20th century brought further improvements and upgrades to the line. These included the establishment of Richmond air-force base in 1925, which resulted in a significant increase in the use of the line. In 1938 congestion at Clarendon Station caused by a RAAF Air Show resulted in extensive improvements. All station platforms were increased to 450 feet and additional facilities were installed at Richmond.

A skillion roof signal box was constructed c1916. In 1926, the railway line was extended to Kurrajong but the extension was closed in 1952. The extension was built at the rear of the platform building (continuing across the park from the station) but no known alterations were made to the platform structure. Despite the line closure, the railway line at the rear of the platform remains in use largely for carriage storage.

1940s plans show proposed additions and alterations to the station in the Inter-war functionalist style and stockyards in the precinct. The station additions were not completed. An undated plan shows a goods shed opposite the station, a turntable and a carriage shed and an engine shed. Water tanks and coal loading facilities are also shown (no longer extant), and a gate keepers cottage on the Sydney side of the level crossing near East Richmond Railway Station.

During the 1950s a detached cleaners' building was erected at the rear of the platform building.

An engine shed was demolished in 1983. There no longer appears to be any evidence of the former yard as the area around the station has been developed for purposes such as carparking and a McDonalds.

The railway line from Riverstone to Richmond was electrified in 1991. In 1996 all rooms to the station building were internally altered, except the General Waiting Room. Externally, the building is largely unaltered.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building and maintaining the public railway system-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - building and operating public infrastructure-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Richmond Station has historical significance as the termination point for the Sydney metropolitan railway system in that direction dating from 1867, with no continuation of train services by other providers. The station was instrumental in opening up the farming district of Hawkesbury to provide transport for fresh produce to Sydney markets. The existing station building is historically significant as an early station building from the 1880s and for its association with the upgrade of the Richmond line in the 1880s. Remnant dock platform and shadow siding to the rear are one of the few remaining pieces of evidence of the Kurrajong line that operated between 1926 and 1952.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Richmond Railway Station is aesthetically significant as a fine example of the architecture of larger railway station buildings in the late nineteenth century demonstrating key characteristics of a Victorian second-class station building. It retains most of its original external detailing and provides evidence of the prosperity and growth of Richmond following the arrival of the railway.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
There is potential for archaeological remains to exist under the present commuter car park in relation to the former railway yard and engine shed as well as the Kurrajong sidings, however; it is low due to subsequent development and is unlikely to yield information that is not available elsewhere.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The station building is rare as one of three larger, significant station buildings built on the Richmond line in the 1880s, the others being at Windsor and Riverstone.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The station is one of three larger, significant station buildings built on the Richmond line in the 1880s, the others being at Windsor and Riverstone. These differ significantly from the smaller, simpler stations built elsewhere on the line. The station building is a fine example of a late nineteenth century station building, representing the peak of achievement in station architecture that is known as second-class station building.
Integrity/Intactness: Externally the building has a high degree of integrity and intactness. Internally, considerable reorganisation has taken place. However, the overall character of the station remains intact. The removal of the associated rail yard components of the site reduces its ability to demonstrate this element of its history.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0123602 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012208
File number: 10/01062


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.