Shellharbour Railway Station Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Shellharbour Railway Station Group

Item details

Name of item: Shellharbour Railway Station Group
Other name/s: Dunmore Railway Station
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -34.6058443427 Long: 150.8401583010
Primary address: Illawarra railway, Dunmore, NSW 2529
Local govt. area: Shellharbour
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Illawarra

Boundary:

North: a line running across the railway lines and along the northern boundary of Lot 1, DP 1055508 (to include Station Master's residence); East: boundary of RailCorp property, fronting Shellharbour Road at the south-eastern corner; South: boundary of RailCorp property fronting Shellharbour Road; West: boundary of RailCorp property parallel to the Princes Highway.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Illawarra railwayDunmoreShellharbour  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government16 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

The Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station and residence is of state historical significance for its rare awningless 1887 platform building (only 2 other examples on the Illawarra line), 1891 milk shed/out-of-room and central section of Platform 2 (among the earliest surviving structures on the Illawarra line), and for its early (1887) brick example of a 'J2' station masters residence design. The 1925 signal box, Platform 1, Platform 2 extension and moveable items are of historical significance as evidence of later upgrading of the station since 1925, and the residence is also of historical significance as evidence of late 19th century railway operational requirements to accommodate railway station staff on site.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is of aesthetic significance for its open setting affording views to the Illawarra escarpment, and for its collection of weatherboard buildings and platforms dating from 1887. The 1887 station building on Platform 2 is of aesthetic significance as a rare weatherboard awningless design station building. The residence is of aesthetic significance as a good representative example of a vernacular Victorian Georgian style dwelling, a precursor of the standard J2 Station Master's residence design, purpose-built for accommodation of the Station Master, and for its unusual siting, facing away from the railway station, some 100 metres distance from the station on a small hilltop with extensive views, and brick construction (despite the Dunmore station buildings being weatherboard).

The 1891 milk shed (aka out of room) is a rare early structure which has a later extension and conversion to a new use. The range of platform structures demonstrate the expansion of the station over time. The 1925 signal box is a good example of a simple signal box of this period of added significance as it contains the original signal levers.
Date significance updated: 23 Nov 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: PRECINCT ELEMENTS
Platform 1 Shelter (modern)
Platform 2 buildings: (from south to north)
- Out of Room (aka Old Milk Shed) (1891, extended 1908)
- Platform 2 Shelter (modern)
- Platform building (1887)
- Signal box (1925)
Flat-roofed metal shed at car park level (modern)
Toilet block (c. 1970s)
Platform 1 (c. 1940)
Platform 2 (1887, 1940)
Station Masters residence (c. 1887) (J2)
Cyclone wire fencing and gates to residence site boundaries (2006)
Moveable items: signal levers (1925)

CONTEXT
The station is entered via a modern station entry ramp with white powdercoated aluminium fencing leading onto Platform 2. The car park is accessed off Shellharbour Road, which is located immediately to the east of Platform 2. The entry to the car park off Shellharbour Road is approximately 50m northwest of the intersection of Shellharbour Road and the Princes Highway. There are two wayside platforms: Platform 2 on the east side of the station dates from 1887, extended c.1940, and has a range of weatherboard buildings 1887-1925. Platform 1 on the west side of the rail lines, is a later, c. 1940s structure on a steel base with a concrete deck and asphalt surface. The Railway station perimeters are defined by white powder coated aluminium pool fencing. The residence site is also accessed off Shellharbour Road. The residence is located approximately 100 metres to the northeast of the Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station, on a cyclone wire fenced and gated site with one major tree to the southwest (rear) of the residence. The front façade of the residence faces north, away from the railway station. The residence is sited prominently on the side of the hill (which may account for its distance from the railway station and its orientation).

PLATFORM 1 SHELTER (modern)
Colorbond shelter shed, open on platform side.

OUT OF ROOM (1891, extended 1908) (aka former Milk shed)
Exterior: A weatherboard rectangular building with a skillion corrugated steel roof located on the southern end of Platform 2 with rear access at high level from the roadway behind. Both the platform and road (car park - east) elevations feature pairs of timber tongue & grooved sliding doors.

Interior: Not accessed 2009.

PLATFORM 2 SHELTER (modern)
Exterior: A simple steel framed structure with metal mesh infill panel walls, open on car park (east) side.

PLATFORM BUILDING (1887)
Exterior: A weatherboard building with a corrugated steel gabled roof, with brick pier foundations with metal ant caps. The building has simple timber barge boards at north and south ends. The building is without awnings to either side. Entrance to the building is from the platform and the building provides a central waiting room and Station Master's office. The entrance to the waiting room is a large originally open arch with curved head and decorative timber valance, the opening now infilled with modern 4 panel timber doors and glass louvres. Windows are timber framed double hung, each sash having a single vertical glazing bar. There is an extension in weatherboard at the northern end of the building with a lower corrugated steel skillion roof, which links this building to the signal box.

Interior: Timber tongue & grooved board ceilings and wall linings (likely to date from 1925 refurbishment), with the exception of the west interior (infill) wall, which is lined with gyprock panels with timber battens. Entry to the Station Master's office is from the waiting area.

SIGNAL BOX (1925)
Exterior: A small weatherboard building on the platform with a skillion corrugated steel roof and timber framed double hung windows with vertical glazing bars. The building is linked to the southern side of the 1887 platform building with a simple small skillion roofed enclosed linking structure, also dating from 1925.

Interior: Timber tongue & grooved board ceiling and wall lining. Original signal levers in place inside.

FLAT ROOFED METAL SHED (modern)
Exterior: Located towards the northern end of Platform 2, just north of the signal box, at car park (not platform) level, is a simple metal shed with a flat roof.

Interior: Not accessed 2009.

TOILET BLOCK (c. 1970s)
Exterior: Red brick, skillion corrugated steel flat roof.

Interior: Unlined red brick walls, 1970s fitout.

PLATFORM 1 (c. 1940)
A perimeter platform on the western side of the station, being an elevated concrete slab on an open frame of old rails with an asphalt surface.

PLATFORM 2 (1887-1940)
A perimeter platform on the east side of the station. The original section of Platform 2 upon which the 1891 Out-of-room, 1887 platform building and 1925 signal box sit, is an elevated concrete slab on an open frame with concrete piers and concrete surface. This appears to be original, dating from 1887 (based on evidence from historic photo on wall of platform building waiting room), however original timber piers have been replaced with concrete piers. The platform extension to the northern end (c. 1940) is an elevated concrete slab on an open frame of old rails.

STATION MASTERS RESIDENCE (c.1887)
Exterior: The residence is a freestanding single storey brick house, in a vernacular Victorian Georgian style with a symmetrical façade facing north, with central doorway flanked by windows either side. The residence has a gabled corrugated steel main roof (with gable ends facing east and west) with two painted brick chimneys to the ridge. There is a rear skillion roofed section to the southwest (rear) corner of the house, with one painted brick chimney. Each of the chimneys feature projecting brick bands with dentillation between the top two bands. Each gable end features a simple timber barge board. The house has rendered brick side walls and a painted brick façade, with weatherboard walls to the rear skillion roofed section. Window and door openings are now boarded up for security, however the front door is a timber 4 panelled door (one panel damaged) with a fanlight, and the original windows are timber framed double hung, with single vertical glazing bars to each sash. An original skillion roofed rear veranda (south elevation) has been enclosed with weatherboard walls and timber framed windows.

Interior: Timber floors (extensively damaged or deteriorated - the floor is mostly missing in the main central room); plaster ceilings, timber joinery. All fireplaces have had mantelpieces removed. The 2 front rooms, which open off a central hallway have c.1920s ceilings with decorative plaster and timber battens. There are timber board floors and high timber moulded skirting boards, timber architraves and picture rails. There are no internal doors or mantelpieces (these appear to have been removed throughout the house). The front hallway terminates in a main central room, with another bedroom opening off it to the right. These two rooms are similar in detailing to the front bedrooms, both with mantelpieces missing from fireplaces. There is an original slate threshold to the original rear doorway (which has no door), which also features a fanlight. The original kitchen has a brick hearth for an old fuel stove, with a timber mantel. Beyond the original rear doorway is one original rear timber stop-chamfered veranda post. The kitchen and rear veranda area have timber tongue and grooved ceilings. The bathroom has a circa 1970s fitout.

LANDSCAPE/NATURAL ELEMENTS
There are some trees and shrubs at the eastern perimeter of Platform 2 (east platform). However, the setting of the station is essentially very open in nature, affording views to the Illawarra escarpment. The residence site is largely grassed, however there is a large tree to the southwest (eucalyptus, species unknown). The residence is sited prominently on the side of the hill and is clearly visible from both the Princes Highway and Shellharbour Road.

MOVEABLE ITEMS
Signal levers located within the 1925 signal box; historical photos mounted and hung on the walls of the 1887 Platform building waiting room.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Platform 1 Shelter (modern): Very good
Out of Room (1891 extended 1908): Good
Platform 2 Shelter (modern): Very good
Platform building (1887): Good
Signal box (1925): Good
Flat-roofed metal shed at car park level (modern): Very good
Toilet block (c. 1970s): Good
Platform 1 (c. 1940): Good
Platform 2 (1887, 1940): Good
Station Masters residence (1887): Poor.
Moveable items: signal levers (1925): Good
Modifications and dates: The 1887 building has had a number of unsympathetic additions.
Further information: Signal box may be earlier, however further evidence is needed to confirm a date of c.1914.
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Nil

History

Historical notes: The township of Shellharbour was laid out in 1851 around the port of Shellharbour, on the Peterborough Estate. Shellharbour (Municipal) Council was constituted on 4 June 1859 and the chambers, built in 1865 was located in Addison Street, Shellharbour. Dunmore had a post office in 1890. The Council relocated to Albion Park in 1897, coinciding with the decline of Shellharbour (Village) and the growth of Albion Park as a lucrative beef and dairy cattle district. (Our History page on www.shellharbour.nsw.gov.au).

The Illawarra railway line from Wollongong to Scarborough was opened as an isolated line on 21st June 1887 with an extension to Bombo (North Kiama) from Wollongong opened on 9th November 1887. Finally on 3rd October 1888 the connection to the northern Sydney section was made. An extension of the line from Bombo south to Bomaderry was completed in 1893.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station was in the section of the line opened in November 1887. The awningless Platform 2 building is original (1887), the Out-of-room (aka old milk shed) was constructed in 1891 and extended in 1908. The signal box was constructed in 1925 (plans dated 19.12.1925).

The 1887 Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is a relatively early brick example of the J2 design Station Master's residence, having been constructed in 1887 prior to the issue of the series of standard plans by the office of Henry Deane (Engineer-in-Chief for Railways Construction 1891-1901) for these buildings in 1899. Though Henry Deane was acting in this position from 1889 (after the retirement of John Whitton, Railways Commissioner), due to the 1887 construction date of this Station Master's residence, association of the design with Henry Deane is uncertain.

Plans dated 1907 show the railway station with (from south to north) a Gatekeeper's cottage (no longer extant) at the Shellharbour Road level crossing; platform with ramps at each end and a ramp north of the platform buildin; a milk shed; platform building with water tank at south end; lamp room and separate WC (toilet) building; cattle yards to the northeast of the platform building; and the Station Master's residence with underground water tank to the northeast of the station.

In 1923 a small line was linked to the main line at Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station to allow the blue metal quarry at Dunmore (which had operated since at least c. 1905) to access the rail network. The extra rail traffic generated by this may have given rise to the 1925 refurbishment plans which led to the construction of the signal box and the refurbishment of the 1887 platform building to provide a ladies' waiting room at the southern end; refurbished central waiting area in the centre (marked on plans as "waiting shed" indicating its open nature); a refurbished room at the northern end of the building for multiple use as Station Master's office, booking office and parcels office; and an awning roof to connect the Station Master's office etc. to a doorway into the new 1925 signal box at the southern end of the platform building. Plans dating from 1929 also show proposed additions to the Gatehouse.

Plans dated 1940 with later notations show the station in a similar form to those of 1907, however with the platform extended (notation on platform "Earth filled - Sleeper face - Timber top"); an enlarged milk shed; the earlier WC crossed out (indicating its demolition); the stockyards noted as "recovered 1968" (demolished); and a new ramp to the northeast of the platform building marked "Pioneer Concrete Pty Ltd Siding No. 2 40' ramp".

Plans dated 1970 show the Gatekeeper's cottage no longer extant; the goods siding clearly shown to the east of the platform and platform buildings, with an unloading platform and shed adjacent to the west of the siding; and a gent's toilet at the northern end of the platform. At this time the platform building is shown with 2 water tanks (one at the southern end, one between the signal box and the platform building) with an internal plan showing (north to south): parcels office, waiting room and ladies toilet.

The goods siding and associated structures have all been removed since 1970.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is of state historical significance for its rare awningless 1887 platform building and 1891 milk shed/Out-of-room and central section of Platform 2 which are among the earliest surviving structures on the Illawarra line. The 1925 signal box, Platform 1, Platform 2 extension and moveable items are of historical significance as evidence of later upgrading of the station since 1925. The later conversion of the 1891 milk shed to an Out-of-room illustrates the declining use of rail transport by the dairying industry in the 20th century.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is of State historical significance as part of the overall Shellharbour Railway Station Group, as evidence of late 19th century railway operational requirements to accommodate railway station staff on site, as an early (1887) brick example of a J2 Station Master's residence design, constructed prior to the issue of a series of standard plans for railway residences in 1899, and for its historical association with the first phase of construction of the Illawarra line.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is of aesthetic significance for its open setting affording views to the Illawarra escarpment, for its collection of weatherboard buildings and platforms dating from 1887. The 1887 Platform 2 building is of aesthetic significance as a rare weatherboard awningless design station building. The 1891 milk shed (aka Out-of-room) is a rare early structure which has later extension and conversion to a new use. The platform structures show expansion of the station over time. The 1925 signal box is a good example of a simple signal box of this period.

Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is of aesthetic significance as a vernacular Victorian Georgian style dwelling of the J2 Station Master's residence design, purpose-built for accommodation of the Station Master. The Dunmore (Shellharbour) Station Master's residence is also of aesthetic significance for its unusual siting, facing away from the railway station, some 100 metres distance from the station on a small hilltop with extensive views.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The place has the potential to contribute to the local community's sense of place, and can provide a connection to the local community's past.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The 1887 awningless weatherboard Platform 2 building is a rare platform building, one of only three of this design on the Illawarra line (with other examples at Bombo and Berry, the one at Berry having a 1901 awning addition). All examples of this type of platform buildings on the Illawarra line are weatherboard. The 1891 milk shed (later extended and converted to an Out-of-room) is a rare survivor of this type of station building. The platform structures at Dunmore are rare examples of open types of platform structures (only other example on the Illawarra line is at Bombo), the original central section of Platform 2 being particularly significant, despite later alteration.

The residence is rare as a precursor to the standard J2 design and exhibits the features of this design. The Station Master's residence is unusual for its siting facing away from the station, and brick construction materials though it is associated with a railway station with weatherboard buildings.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Dunmore (Shellharbour) Railway Station is a representative rural station retaining structures from the period 1887- 1925. The weatherboard signal box (1925) is representative of and typical of signal boxes of this period, of added significance for retaining its signal levers. With 20 levers it is a larger example than other comparable structures.

The Station Master's residence is a good representative example of a J2 design brick Station Master's residence, predating the 1899 issue of standard plans for railway residences.
Integrity/Intactness: The structures have some level of alteration (particularly 1925 alterations) and the station has lost its goods yard and sidings, however remaining early structures are relatively intact externally. The original section of Platform 2 has had original timber piers and surface replaced with concrete piers and decking. The signal box is intact with signalling equipment remaining. The Station Master's residence is relatively intact externally, poor condition internally with removal of much of the interior features.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0124502 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012217
File number: H00/00173


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.