Strathfield Railway Station group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage


Strathfield Railway Station group

Item details

Name of item: Strathfield Railway Station group
Other name/s: Strathfield Triangle, Strathfield Flyover, Strathfield Underbridges
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -33.8717630442 Long: 151.0943090630
Primary address: Great Southern and Western Railway, Strathfield, NSW 2135
Local govt. area: Strathfield
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan


The listing boundary is the Everton St boundary to the north Strathfield Square to the south, a line crossing the tracks through the triangle including the sub-station to the west and a line crossing the tracks 50 metres past the end of the parcels platform to the east.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Great Southern and Western RailwayStrathfieldStrathfield  Primary Address
Everton RoadStrathfieldStrathfield  Alternate Address
Albert RoadStrathfieldStrathfield  Alternate Address


Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government16 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

Strathfield is a superb example of a large station that presents a coherent and uniform set of structures. It is the only example of the large awning structure station without on-platform buildings. It is located at a major junction with eight platforms and an elaborate subway system to service them. The quality of the platform structures is high and represents technological achievement that was compatible with design in Britain at the time. The structure uses decorative elements in the columns with plinths and capitals, elegant curved brackets, patterned fascias and being on a curve, presents an elegant and refined structure.

The former signal box is one of a few surviving large power boxes that adds to the station group and is significant in its own right.

The parcels office is a good example of a freestanding standard structure, very few of which survive.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.


Physical description: BUILDINGS
buildings platforms 1-8 - type 18, cast iron and timber ,1927, LEP, HS
platform awnings - platforms 1-8 cast iron and timber, 1927, LEP, HS
former signal box - brick and fibro gambrel roof power box ,1927, LEP, HS
parcels room and platform - brick on down local line, LEP, HS
substation in triangle, LEP, HS

pedestrian subway - brick Sydney end, 1927, LEP, HS
ramps - to all platforms with brick walls, 1927, LEP, HS
pedestrian subway West end under all tracks, 1927, LEP, HS

brick wall opposite platform 1 (up main loop)
Current use: Railway Station
Former use: Railway Station


Historical notes: Strathfield Suburb:
This suburb, extending from Concord Plains to the Cook's River, was part of the area known (early in the colony) as Liberty Plains, so called because the first free settlers received grants there. James Wilshire received 570 acres in 1808 and called it Wilshire Farm - the grant lay between the present streets The Boulevarde, Chalmers St. & Liverpool Road.

To the west of this were Church Lands, declared in 1823 to support clergy in the colony, which extended into present day Flemington. In 1841 this was sold and the part south of Barker Rd. was acquired by Joseph Newton. The grant was sold to Samuel Terry in 1824 and he renamed it Redmyre Estate. The name Redmire (changed c1865 to Redmyre) honoured a village in North Yorkshire, England, which was near the birthplace of the Terry family.

In 1885 the area was incorporated as Strathfield. This new title came from the name of a mansion built in the district by John Hardie, a wealthy early settler, who chose the name to honour the English estate given in 1817 by a grateful nation to the Duke of Wellington. (Pollen, 1988, 247).

Railway Station:
The first section of public railway line built in NSW was from Redfern Station (Sydney) to Parramatta on the 26th September 1855. This line passed through the area now known as Strathfield. No station was provided at Strathfield, the closest stations were Burwood and Flemington.

The first station at Strathfield was named 'Redmyre' and opened as a 'halt' on the 9th September 1876. (Moonie, 2001, 6).

The first use of the present name 'Strathfield' was adopted on 8th March 1886 and was named after the mansion Strathfield House, owned by James Hardy. Strathfield (station) came into prominence with the construction of the Main Northern line, which had its junction off the Western line at Strathfield. The first section to Hornsby opened on the 17th September 1886. Four platforms were provided, two for the Western line and two for the Northern line. A new mechanical signal box was built on the Down side behind the Down western platform, this was the first signal box at Strathfield (Moonie, 2001, 6).

A station was built on a new site in 1900, and yet again in 1922 (Pollen, 1988, 247).

The line was quadruplicated between 1891 and 1892, causing track alterations and requiring the construction of a pedestrian subway at the western end of the station to connect all platforms.

The 1900 platforms, overhead station building and road bridge were demolished and the present 4 island platforms were built, giving a total of 8 platforms. Access to these was now via a centrally located pedestrian subway and ramps. A short Parcels Platform was also built on the down side of the Down Local Line at the Sydney end. The land required for the extra platforms was reclaimed from The Boulevard and Clarendon Street (Albert Road).

As part of reconstruction of the station area and for the future electrification of the western and northern rail lines a new Power Signal Box was built at Strathfield. This (the 3rd signal box) was located on the Down side parallel to the Down Local at the country end of the station. It was built on a resumed, triangular block of land bounded by the Main Western Line to its north and Clarendon Street (Albert Road) to its south. The power signal box was the 3rd signal box erected at Strathfield, the previous two signal boxes becoming 'mechanical signal boxes'.

Strathfield power signal box controlled all train movements from the Sydney side of Wentworth Road overbridge (east), through Strathfield platforms and the tracks to the north and west of the flyover at the country end (Moonie, 2001, 8).

When the line from Strathfield to Hornsby was completed in the 1920s, Strathfield became the junction of all trains going north and west - an important rail junction. (Pollen, 1988, 247).

In 1982, as part of the upgrading and modernising of the suburban signalling system the Strathfield power signal box was close to being replaced by the new Strathfield Signal Box complex located at Homebush incorporating a Relay Based Route Locking Signalling System. The new complex also replaced signal boxes at Ashfield, North Strathfield, Concord West, Homebush, Flemington Car Sidings, Flemington Goods Junction and Lidcombe.

Strathfield continues to be a busy and important junction station with the signalling complex at Homebush being the second largest signal box in the Sydney Metropolitan area (Moonie, 2001, 8).

Strathfield Substation:
In 1927, the section of the suburban line to Strathfield was electrified, and at this time the Strathfield Substation was built. The Substation came into use on 27 August 1928, and was one of the 15 electrical substations built in the Sydney area between 1926 and 1932.

The Strathfield Substation was replaced by a new installation to the north of the original building. After this, the substation was converted to a fabrication workshop for signalling equipment, and has been used since 1990 by the Signal Branch to house its workshop. When this occurred, a modern extension was added to its south wing, removing the area on that side where the outdoor transformers were formerly located. At this time, the building was modified internally also, with offices added at the mezzanine level, a new crane installed on the original crane tracks and floor areas altered.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Engineering the public railway system-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Administering the public railway system-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis Public Transport - suburban railway lines-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - building and operating public infrastructure-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - building and administering rail networks-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria f)
This item is assessed as historically rare. This item is assessed as arch. rare. This item is assessed as socially rare.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval


Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0125202 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     
Local Environmental Plan 13612 Mar 99   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenB Cubed Sustainability2005Former Strathfield Substation: heritage impact statement
WrittenMoonie, Jeff2001Heritage Survey of Strathfield Power Signal Box
WrittenPollen, Francis (ed.)1988Strathfield, in 'The Book of Sydney Suburbs'

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012224
File number: H00/00232

Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.