Woodstock Railway Station | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Woodstock Railway Station

Item details

Name of item: Woodstock Railway Station
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Transport - Rail
Category: Railway Platform/ Station
Location: Lat: -33.7432081359 Long: 148.8471113830
Primary address: Blayney-Harden railway, Woodstock, NSW 2793
Local govt. area: Cowra
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Cowra

Boundary:

The boundary follows the property boundary running parallel to the tracks from the access road to a point 20m to the south of the platform where it crosses the tracks joining the two boundaries and crossing the tracks at the road on the northern end.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Blayney-Harden railwayWoodstockCowra  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
RailCorpState Government20 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

The railway station at Woodstock is a good representative example of a type 4 (third class), late nineteenth century, timber station building that retains a good level of intactness. The railway station is an elegant, restrained weatherboard building which includes a notable veranda awning. It is an important element within the townscape of Woodstock, being located in a prominent position in the centre of the town. The station building, loading bank and jib crane demonstrate the former use of the place as a passenger station and goods yard dating back to the 1880s.
Date significance updated: 22 Jul 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Extant items at Woodstock include the type 4, timber, 3rd class station building (1888), brick and concrete platform face, station seat, and station signs. There are also some relics in the former goods yard (see 'further comments' below).

The station building is a weatherboard structure which includes a gabled roof with galvanized corrugated sheeting, two brick chimneys, and bargeboards with finials at gable ends. There is an attached platform awning with metal roof, metal posts and decorative brackets. The platform side of the building is notable for a lack of fenestration, with five double hung sash windows provided on the road side of the building and few windows on the platform side. The internal arrangement of the building features six main rooms all accessed from the platform.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Good (inspected April 2008).
Date condition updated:22 Jul 13
Further information: There is a jib crane with brick base, loading bank, and remains of a storage bin (possibly for coal) in the adjacent yard and former loco depot - confirmation required as to whether these are located outside the SHR listing boundary.

History

Historical notes: The first cross-country railway line in NSW, connecting the southern and western lines, was proposed as early as 1875, with Surveyor Wade instructed to explore the country between Murrumburrah and Blayney to recommend a suitable route. Two similar routes were considered: one leaving the western line near the summit between Newbridge and Blayney, following the Evans Swamp Valley and the ridge near Waugoola Creek. The alternative was a line further west and in flatter country, between the Waugoola and Limestone creeks to the east of Cowra and continuing past Young before joining the southern line (Forsyth, 1985; Ryan, 1986).

A later proposal (1879), this time by Surveyor Hogg, recommended that the branch line leave the western line 1.005 kilometres beyond Blayney station, passing through Carcoar and going directly through, rather than above, the town of Young. Construction of the cross-country line was approved by Parliament in April 1881 and a contract for the first stage of works to the first section of line from Murrumburrah to Young let to Messrs. O’Rourke and McSharry in September 1882. The work was to be completed by December 1884 but did not open until March 1885 (Forsyth, 1985; Ryan 1986).

The rest of the cross-country line was constructed in two sections (Young to Cowra and Cowra to Blayney) with tenders called for both sections in February 1885 for completion by June 1887. The successful contractor for the Cowra to Blayney section was J.S. Robertson with the contract for the section from Young to Cowra let to Fishburn & Co. The first sod for the Blayney - Cowra section was turned in Blayney in March 1885 by the widow of Andrew Lynch, the former member for the electorate of Carcoar, who had been a strong advocate for construction of the line. The Young to Cowra section opened as a temporary terminus on November 1, 1886. The section between Cowra and Blayney (including Woodstock) was delayed due to late arrival of materials for the bridge over the Lachlan River at Cowra, but opened on February 13, 1888 (Forsyth, 1985; Ryan, 1986; SRA, 1993).

Opening dates for major locations along the cross-country line were: Blayney (November 1876), Carcoar (February 1888), Woodstock (February 1888) and Cowra (August 1887). Rail services to Woodstock (and other stations on the line) were suspended in c1987 (Ryan, 1986; SRA, 1993).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Public tramline system-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The station building, loading bank and jib crane at Woodstock date back to the arrival of the railway in Woodstock and surrounding districts in the 1880s, a period of rapid expansion of the government railway network throughout NSW.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The railway station is an elegant, restrained weatherboard building which includes a notable veranda awning. It is an important element within the townscape of Woodstock, being located in a prominent position in the centre of the town.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The passenger station at Woodstock is a good representative example of a type 4 (third class) timber railway station building constructed in western NSW in the late nineteenth century.
Integrity/Intactness: Good.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0129002 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5012292


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.