Rouse Hill House and Farm | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Rouse Hill House and Farm

Item details

Name of item: Rouse Hill House and Farm
Other name/s: Rouse Hill House
Type of item: Landscape
Group/Collection: Farming and Grazing
Category: Homestead Complex
Location: Lat: -33.6758158602 Long: 150.9076283130
Primary address: Windsor Road, Rouse Hill, NSW 2153
Parish: Gidley
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Blacktown
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Deerubbin
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
PART LOT1 DP815213
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Windsor RoadRouse HillBlacktownGidleyCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Historic Houses Trust of NSWGeneral25 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

Rouse Hill House is one of the most significant and substantial houses of the Macquarie period which dates from 1810 to 1822. Rouse Hill House Estate is the largest and most complete publically owned physical record - in the form of buildings, furnishings, artefacts and landscape relationship - of the occupancy and culture of a European-Australian family, encompassing the tastes, fortunes, and endeavours of seven generations from the early 19th century to the late 20th century (Historic Houses Trust 1997:8).

The property is perhaps unique for its survival as a largely intact estate with an unbroken chain of occupancy, allowing the survival of major garden and interior elements of every period of its history to the present. This layering of artefacts and fashions is especially prevalent in the gardens where designs and physical details such as edging, fencing, planting containers, bed designs and paths provide a case history for the study of the development of garden practices in Australia.

The garden is perhaps Australia's oldest surviving colonial garden in relatively intact form. The surviving physical evidence in the gardens includes borders in a variety of materials, fence and gate remnants, fragments of trellis and arbours, paving and numerous soil displacements that become evident with the location's annual dry spells. These physical remains, matched with pictorial evidence from photographs, drawings and engravings of the property, and writings, have resulted in the identification of four stages of the garden's development: c.1825, c.1865, c.1885 and c.1968. This continuity and evidence of evolution of a very early intact garden from the first quarter of the 19th century to the Edwardian era and 20th century is extremely rare in Australia. (Bogle, 1993 adapted by Read, S., 2004)
Date significance updated: 02 Oct 97
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Richard Rouse (attributed), John Horbury Hunt (Stables)
Builder/Maker: Convicts
Construction years: 1813-1818
Physical description: Farm:
The property is perhaps unique for its survival as a largely intact estate with an unbroken chain of occupancy, allwing the survival of major garden and interior elements of every period of its history to the present. This layering of artefacts and fashions is especially prevalent in the gardens where designs and physical details such as edging, fencing, planting containers, bed designs and paths provide a case history for the study of the development of garden practices in Australia.

Outbuildings:
Several, including:
Stables:

Bath House (1858):
Picturesque building in the garden thought to have been built by Scottish-born Parramatta buildder and architect, James Houison, it originally featured ine arched timber trellises on the two verandahs and porches on each side. This treillage supported climbing plants and gave some privacy to users of the bathroom and lavatory. MOrewood & Rogers roofing (tin) tiles, stone flagging. Restored in 2017 (https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/stories/what-lies-beneath-conservation-works).

Caretaker's House:

Dairy:
The dairy design is essentially the same as one for a model dairy promoted in 1947 by the NSW Department of Agriculture as suitable for smaller farmers. 'Model dairies' (a term dating to the 1800s) were structures that exemplified the most up-to-date hygiene and production principles and materials, and could serve as a model to other farmers to copy. The Rouse dairy contains a linear row of bails, with a gabled, fibre-cement-clad 'milk house' at the western end that held the pumping machinery and generator. As per 1947 plan specifications, the floor was laid with easily washed concrete to maintain strict hygiene. A much earlier timber structure, containing two cow bails for hand-milking, also survives at Rouse Hill House and features in tours of its outbuildings (Hill, 2016).

Garden:
The garden is perhaps Australia's oldest surviving colonial garden in relatively intact form. The surviving physical evidence in the gardens includes borders in a variety of materials, fence and gate remnants, fragments of trellis and arbours, paving and numerous soil displacements that become evident with the location's annual dry spells. These physical remains, matched with pictorial evidence from photographs, drawings and engravings of the property, and writings, have resulted in the identification of four stages of the garden's development: c.1825, c.1865, c.1885 and c.1968.

This continuity and evidence of evolution of a very early intact garden from the first quarter of the 19th century to the Edwardian era and 20th century is extremely rare in Australia. The effects of new technologies in Australian estate gardening with replacement of palings with wire fences, displacement of stone and brick garden or path edgings with terracotta tile edgings etc are quite evident (Bogle, 1993 adapted by Read, S., 2004).

Dominating the garden and seen from afar are tall, mature Araucaria pines (Bunya pine - A.bidwillii (2) and hoop pine (A.cunninghamii (5)(Stuart Read, 6/2014 visit).

A large crepe myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica) on the gravel front path dominates the garden in summer when blooming. the lilac-coloured crepe myrtles in Rouse Hill's front garden were probably planted in the 1950s or 1960s when crepe myrtles were at the peak of their post-war popularity. At the old Caretaker's Cottage at the back of the property is a spectacular carmine-pink form (Innes, 2018).

House:
Rouse Hill House is a large two storey Georgian House set on top of a ridge which falls away gradually to all cardinal points. The house is oriented to the northeast, midway between Parramatta & Windsor. The house has a separate two storey brick service wing, offices forming an arcaded courtyard, 22 rooms, staircase hall, service stair and two cellar rooms. The house gas a fine stone-flagged stair hall with cantilevered timber stair. The doors are all six panelled with some architraves and panelled jamb linings. The main house is built of sandstone with a slate roof, timber floors(kitchen, scullery, staircase, hall, arcade and verandah are flagged) and oakgrained hardwood joinery.

Outbuildings:
Other buildings on the site include a slab built cow shed, brick bath house, a reconstructed timber summer house, brick stables (Chivell 1978)
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Physical Condition - Good
Date condition updated:18 Sep 97
Modifications and dates: 1813 house begun, 450 acres (182 hectares)
1818 house completed
c1820 - cottage built
1825 family took up residence
c.1825 - stage 1 of garden laid out with oval carriage loop and squared Georgian fashion to northeast of house, all borders to paths thought to be 'dug', brick and stone borders and gutters added later, Moreton Bay figs northeast of house must date to this period (Ficus macrophylla)
1840s - Barn, woolshed and laundry wing built.
1855 - Verandahs added to house and summerhouse and slaughter house built.
-House redecorated and substantially refurnished
1860s - Two storey service wing
1862 - Roof of house slated.
C.1865 - garden modification - stage 2 garden bridges over gutter northeast of squared beds east of house, drain added also in this location, garden beds (diamond and 4 triangles) cut in front of house, paling fence added to southeast, picket fence or gate to southwest near house, entrance driveway formalised, more fencing
1865-67 - Two storey service wing added
1876-77 - Stables built.
-Bathroom linking service wing with terrace built
1885 - House decorated and partially refurnished
c.1885 - stage 3 garden modifications, sandstone drain and bridges to northeast of squared garden east of house, kitchen garden and drying yard added to southeast of house, paving in between western wings of house, circular drive loop west of house, 2 picket gates northwest side of house, trellis frame on northern wall of northern rear wing west of house, shed and octagonal summer house added in garden east of house, new garden bed immediately adjacent to east wall of house (near front faade but to the side), arbours /trellis added on two crossing garden paths east of house

1888 Rouse Hill public school opened to the east of Rouse Hill House and farm

1932 -Studio converted into a breakfast room
1951-63 - Subdivision. Land reduced to 106 acres
1957 - Bathhouse renovated
1961 - Demolition of glass enclosure to western verandah
1965 - Nursery floor replaced
c.1968 - stage 4 garden modifications - driveway re-routed WWII, two rear (west of house) gates added, steel tank added west of house, rockery added southwest of house, two gates added east of house connecting to pre-existing paths, vehicle gate and path added further east of garden towards Windsor Road, garden east of house used as grazing paddock, embankment cut into Windsor Road (with road upgrading?), loss of arbours/trellis on one of two garden paths (of c.1885 creation), stone kerbing on 3 garden paths (north-south) east of house replace? Earlier brick borders.
1968 - Further subdivision
1974 - Final subdivision
(Historic Houses Trust 1997:2, Bogle & Broadbent 1990:12-15)
1984 summer house repair/reconstructed
1993 - 25 acres (10 hectares) of land left (in HHT management)(Bogle, 1993)

2008: HHT got first stage funding for education component of its vision for the site.
10/3/2009 Remnant RTA lands were transferred to the HHT (from the Windsor Road bypass which is open further to the east than the old road alignment (in a cutting). The Hills Shire Council approved stage one development application for works.

2009-10: Construction program almost complete on former RTA land and Rouse Hill Public School (former) adjoining re-aligned Windsor Road: School house conserved, repainted in Victorian colour scheme and interpreted as 19th century school; cafe, retail, education centre and outdoor auditorium (for 60); parking; security; flexible public spaces to be used as venues and landscaping works completed. Property's capacity and visitation rate increased, including increasing numbers of local schools (capacity now for 20,000 children a year to visit)(Mackaness, 2010, 4-5).

6/2016 increased visitation has been achieved by introducing a series of limited-number tours of the house's interiors. Works to conserve the farm's dairy precinct are now complete. Two main posts whose subsoil bases had decayed were re-footed, with new spliced material and a pad footing. Guttering was replaced, along with some roof sheeting where discrete patching was no longer sufficient and deacyed timber trimming on the milk house has been replaced (Hill, 2016)
Current use: House Museum, Farm and residence of Mr Gerald Terry
Former use: Residence and pastoral Property

History

Historical notes: Richard Rouse (1774-1852) appears to have begun building at Rouse Hill in 1813 although the grant of 450 acres (182 hectares) was not made until October 1816 (Broadbent & Bogle 1990:7) . Sometime between 1818 and 1825 Rouse, his wife Elizabeth (1772-1849) and family moved from Parramatta to the new house. The son of an Oxfordshire cabinet maker and shop-keeper, Rouse came to the colony, free, in 1801. Prospering quickly, by 1805 he was Superintendent of Public Works and Convicts at Parramatta.

In this role he supervised the building of Governor and Mrs Macquarie's additions to Government House, Parramatta in the mid 1810s. It is possible that these works influenced Rouse to build a bigger house than he first intended, adding larger, longer rooms behind the front range.

He chose the site of his new house while building toll houses for Macquarie's upgraded road to the Hawkesbury. Rouse sited the new house prominently, possibly with an eye to its possible use as an inn, on a hilltop adjacent to the toll house (also built by him) on the Parramatta to Windsor Turnpike.

He acquired other properties, more fertile than the Rouse Hill farm, but Rouse Hill had the advantage of strategic siting. While other early colonial homesteads overlooked their crops or pastures, Rouse Hill has always overlooked the busy Windsor Road. It was from here that Rouse and his descendants oversaw their distant pastoral and agricultural interests, rather than the estate itself being the focus of those interests.

Rouse was not bred to the land, but was shrewd and capable, careful of money and acquisitive of property. He left, on his death in 1852, extensive holdings throughout the colony (www.hht.net.au/museums/rouse_hill, accessed 15/10/10).

The Rouse Hill estate grew to 1200 acres (486 hectares) by Rouse's death, by purchase of an adjacent grant (Historic Houses Trust 1997:2).

Rouse consolidated his land holdings at North Richmond from around 1806 and increased his pastoral holdings in the north west of New South Wales, using his sons to colonise further west while he continued to acquire land in Parramatta and Western Sydney.

A number of the property's outbuildings finished construction following the completion of the house, including the laundry wing, cottage, barn and woolshed. The garden layout reflects the construction of the house between 1813 and 1818. Some trees remain from the plantings in the mid 19th century. With the exception of outbuildings, Rouse seems to have made no other alterations to the property's buildings. This was left to later generations (Broadbent & Bogle 1990:7).

Rouse died in 1852 leaving the property to his son Edwin Rouse. The property went to Edwin's son Edwin Stephen Rouse on his death in1862.

A summerhouse, woolshed and a two storey service wing was added in the 1860s, the stables built in 1876 and 1877 and the house redecorated and partly furnished in 1885. (Historic Houses Trust 1997:2) The service wing made no direct connection with the house. A verandah, weighted sash windows, a modified front door and sidelights and other late 19th century innovations were also installed. These too have been done in such a way as to preserve the integrity of the house. (Broadbent & Bogle 1990:7)

1888 Rouse Hill public school opened to the east of Rouse Hill House and farm.

Edwin Stephen Rouse's eldest daughter Nina who had left the house in 1895 to marry George Terry returned with her husband to live at Rouse Hill in 1924. This was a result of their bankruptcy.

Following the death of Edwin Stephen Rouse in 1931 his estate was administered by Trustees, mainly family members and later a family company, until 1969.

In1932 the studio converted into a breakfast room.

Estate subdivision had begun in 1951 and the property had been reduced to 106 acres by 1963. Nina Terry died at Rouse Hill House in 1968 and the following year the remaining 106 acres were subdivided. The homestead block of 29 acres went to her two sons Gerald and Roderick Terry as tenants in common (Historic Houses Trust, 1997, 2).

When a family dispute occurred following the death of Edwin Rouse's grand-daughter Nina Terry in 1968, architect John Fisher (early member of the Institute of Architects, member of the Cumberland County Historic Buildings Committee and National Trust of Australia (NSW) Board member after its reformation in 1960) chaired the Rouse Hill Preservation Committee, which brought together the family and representatives of the National Trust of Australia (NSW). This led to the State Government resuming the property, which later became a property under the care of the Historic Houses Trust of NSW (Lucas & McGinness, 2012).

A further subdivision in 1974 reduced the homestead block to 8.15 hectares (ibid, 1997, 2)

In March 1978 the NSW government purchased the property which also contained 24 outbuildings (and half its contents (Mackaness, 2010, 5)). It was administered by the Planning and Environment Commission, later the Department of Planning, which commissioned restoration works from the Public Works Department (Broadbent & Bogle, 1990, 7).

The Heritage Council's Restoration Steering (HC RS) Committee resolved to have a conservation statement prepared for the buildings and their site. Urgent repair works to the outbuildings were identified and undertaken under the suprevision of the Government Architect's Branch, Public Works Department and the main entrance driveway was regraded and regravelled. Urgent repair and stabilisation on the homestead and outbuildings continued and a fire control service was installed in the garden. A gardener was contracted to carry out urgent garden maintenance. The HC RS Committee considered the need for accurate documentation of interior finishes and contents of the buildings and for curatorial and materials conservaiton work to be carried out. The initial conservation programme was endorsed and circulated to various interested conservation bodies for comment. The Royal Australian Historical Society was requested to undertake an historical research programme on the property. An archaeologist was contracted to be present during any excavation works associated with the repairs programme (HC, 1982).

There has been a continuity of family ownership at Rouse Hill until 1978. Particular forces in the family's history and those of wealth in the 19th century, followed by financial hardship, longevity and resistance to change in the 20th century have left the property in a poignantly fragile condition. This fragility is inherent in much of the property's historic fabric and is integral to the archival significance of the place (Historic Houses Trust, 1997, 2).

1984 the summer house was repaired/reconstructed and the property was transferred to the Historic Houses Trust in 1987. Family association with the property continued through the occupancy of Gerald Terry from 1968, Roderick Terry, 1968-80, and the latter's daughter and son in law, Miriam and Ian Hamilton and the Hamiltons' ownership of a significant portion of the collection. The collection was subsequently transferred to the Hamilton Rouse Hill Trust.

Since 1978 descendents have returned many significant family items and the collection now comprises over 20,000 objects as diverse as costume, furniture, tools and automobiles (Mackaness, 2010, 5).

1993 - 25 acres (10 hectares) of land left (in HHT management)(Bogle, 1993).

When the HHT opened Rouse Hill House and Farm to the public in 1999 it was in a limited capacity and a very different context. In 2007, anticipating the extraordinary residential growth in the area, the HHT sought funding of $19m from Treasury to provide new visitor and cultural facilities (interpretation, programs, research and access to the collection) along with commercial activities (cafe, retail, auditorium and flexible public spaces to be used as venues). The project aimed to improve the property's sustainability and allowed it to be opened up to thousands of visitors a year (Mackaness, 2010, 5).

2008: HHT got first stage funding for the education component of its vision for the site. To protect the heritage precinct the State Government established the Rouse Hill Regional Park, transferred the 1888 Rouse Hill Public School (former) and adjacent lands to the HHT and diverted the upgraded Windsor Road (to the east away from the house and school)(ibid, 5). Advocacy by the Friends of the HIstoric Houses Trust was in large part responsible for moving the road to create this bypass, protecting the site's setting from encroachment (Watts, 2014).

10/3/2009 Remnant RTA lands were transferred to the HHT (from the Windsor Road bypass which is open further to the east than the old road alignment (in a cutting). The Hills Shire Council approved stage one development application for works.

2009-10: Construction program almost complete on former RTA land and Rouse Hill Public School (former) adjoining re-aligned Windsor Road: School house conserved, repainted in Victorian colour scheme and interpreted as 19th century school; cafe, retail, education centre and outdoor auditorium (for 60); parking; security; flexible public spaces to be used as venues and landscaping works completed. Property's capacity and visitation rate increased, including increasing numbers of local schools (capacity now for 20,000 children a year to visit). Transfer of the remnant RTA lands created a new opportunity for research and interpretation. HHT historians Joy Hughes, Jane Kelso and curator Fergus Clunie began gathering historic maps of the region. Searching for the location of the original Toll House at Rouse Hill, he unearthed new evidence about the line of the old Hawkesbury Road (1794-1813) on which the pursuit and 'battle of Vinegar Hill', an armed conflagration between convicts and troops, took place in 1804. Although the road has long since disappeared, it defined the boundary of the first land grant in the area, the 1000 acre 'Copenhagen' given to Captain William Bligh. It also ran close to the surviving kilometre stretch of the old Windsor Road built by convicts in 1812-13 as the first turnpike in the colony between Sydney and the Hawkesbury. The exact location of the battle of Vinegar Hill has long been debated, but the map evidence and line of the old Hawkesbury Road indicate that it most likely took place between Second Ponds Creek and the crest of Rouse Hill, formerly known as Vinegar Hill. A line of very early trees at the edge of the road is believed to date back to the time of the battle. Rouse Hill House dating from 1813, is remarkable as one of the longest continuously occupied houses in Australia, set in the oldest surviving garden in Australia and with original outbuildings, interiors and collections intact. As the likely site of the battle of Vinegar Hill, it now has a new level of significance, with exciting interpretive possibilities, and this has encouraged HHT to rethink its approach to the property (ibid, 4-5).

2004 Energy Australia National Trust Heritage Award recieved.

6/2016 increased visitation has been achieved by introducing a series of limited-number tours of the house's interiors. Works to conserve the farm's dairy precinct are now complete. Two main posts whose subsoil bases had decayed were re-footed, with new spliced material and a pad footing. Guttering was replaced, along with some roof sheeting where discrete patching was no longer sufficient and deacyed timber trimming on the milk house has been replaced (Hill, 2016)

9/2017
Bathhouse conserved and repaired (Long, 2017).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Convict-Activities relating to incarceration, transport, reform, accommodation and working during the convict period in NSW (1788-1850) - does not include activities associated with the conviction of persons in NSW that are unrelated to the imperial 'convict system': use the theme of Law & Order for such activities Working on private assignment-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Technology-Activities and processes associated with the knowledge or use of mechanical arts and applied sciences (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Aaron Muron Bolot, architect-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Rouse Hill House is significant for the record of the Rouse and Terry family occupancy over the seven generations and 180 years which the property constitutes. This record is to be found physically in the house, its outbuildings, finishes, collection, garden and rural curtilage.

The property is significant for:
- Its association with Richard Rouse, building contractor and free settler, and Superintendent of Public Works, based at Parramatta.
- Its association with the convict period through assignment of convicts for the building of the house and operation of Rouse Hill House and nearby properties.
- As a record of the history of taste and level of cultural awareness held by a particular class of people in the history of New South Wales.

The property provides evidence of recurrent themes in NSW history, for example, the family's prosperity throughout the 19th century followed by relative poverty in the 20th century is representative of 'Boom and Bust' themes in Australian social and economic history.

Of local significance is its association with a local population which included men and women who worked on the Rouse Hill property, shop keepers, local clergy, school masters and their families.
(Historic Houses Trust 1997:6-7)
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Rouse Hill House is exceptional as a record of the aesthetic tastes of seven generations of a single family.

The aesthetic responses to the place depend on the diversity of the visual evidence - in the building, range of decorative and applied arts, garden and the agricultural surrounds, and their interconnectedness.
(Historic Houses Trust 1997:7)
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The family history is representative of a class of people who survived the 1840s depression to rise to social prominence in the second half of the 19th century. It encompasses:
-the family's role as landowners with significant commercial interests in Parramatta
-the family's pre c1910 commercial and social prominence as pastoralists
-the social make-up of the extended family which included, free settlers, emancipists, pastoralists, businessmen, merchants and military, political and engineering men.
(Historic Houses Trust 1997:6)
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The property is significant for:
-The evidence that the wide range of building works, including agricultural works, provides of various forms of design and construction from 1812 to the present
-The wide range of services and domestic equipment at the place dating from 1812 to the present.
-the immense research potential of the continuum of building techniques, services and equipment on the site and for the one family. (Historic Houses Trust 1997:7)
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
THE GARDEN is important for its layout rather than its plants. It is perhaps the earliest garden design to have survived in NSW, almost unaltered in form athough modified slightly in detail.
(Broadbent & Bogle 1990:24)
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The historical relationship of Rouse Hill to other properties owned by the Rouse family is representative of historical patterns of settlement in NSW in which first generation properties on the Cumberland Plain were supplemented or eclipsed by larger seco
Integrity/Intactness: Rouse Hill House is arguably unrivalled in Australia for the wealth of physical evidence of its own history and its use by the family which built it. This intactness extends to all aspects of the property. (Historic Houses Trust 1997:6)
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Finishes and details as survive should remain, all intervention to be recorded, renewal of fabric not to be for purely aesthetic reasons and ensure continued existence within historic curtilage. (Historic Houses Trust 1997:9&38, Broadbent & Bogle 1990:29)

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Recommended ManagementReview a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) 
Recommended ManagementPrepare a maintenance schedule or guidelines 
Recommended ManagementCarry out interpretation, promotion and/or education 

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act new exemption made. Refer to 57(2) exemption gazetted 27/2/1998 Feb 7 1986
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act new exemption made. Refer to 57(2) exemption gazetted 27/2/1998. Jul 17 1992
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Record converted from HIS events. Refer to 57(2) exemption gazetted 27/2/1998. Feb 27 1998
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act - Site Specific Exemptions HERITAGE ACT 1977

ORDER UNDER SECTION 57(2)

I, the Minister for Planning, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, in pursuance of section 57(2) of the Heritage Act, 1977, do, by this my order:
(1) revoke the existing exemptions made to the Historic Houses Trust under section 57(2) of the Heritage Act; and
(2) under section 57(2) of the Heritage Act grant an exemption from all section 57(1) activities to properties owned or managed by the Historic Houses Trust and listed on the State Heritage Register as outlined in Schedule A with the following conditions:
(a) that the Historic Houses Trust provide an annual report to the Heritage Council on future works proposed for its properties;
(b) that the Historic Houses Trust advise the Heritage Office archaeologists of any proposed works requiring major excavation at its properties to allow due consideration of the need for additional archaeological work;
(c) that the Director of the Historic Houses Trust must lodge all archaeological monitoring or excavation reports prepared with the Heritage Office library on completion after review by Heritage Office archaeologists;
(d) that the Historic Houses Trust employ as required a consultant historical archaeologist with appropriate archaeological qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience and the Director of the HHT must obtain the advice of that person about the heritage significance of the archaeological resource and/or the impact of the development proposal on the heritage significance of the archaeological resource, and take that advice into account;
(e) that the Director of the Historic Houses Trust must take into account as far as practicable the cumulative effect of approvals on the heritage significance of the item and on the heritage resource of its area;
(f) that the Director of the Historic Houses Trust must ensure that approvals are in accordance with any requirements, guidelines, regulations and general conditions issued by the Heritage Council. The Director of the Historic Houses Trust may impose additional conditions which do not conflict with any Heritage Council conditions.

The Hon Frank Sartor MP
Minister for Planning
Minister for Redfern Waterloo
Minister for the Arts

11 April 2008

SCHEDULE A

Item State Heritage Register Listing Number

1. Elizabeth Farm 00001
2. Rouse Hill House 00002
3. Elizabeth Bay House 00006
4. Glenfield Farm, Casula 00025
5. Hyde Park Barracks and The Mint 00190
6. Exeter Farm (Meurant's Cottage) 00205
7. The Rose Seidler House 00261
8. Wentworth Mausoleum 00622
9. Justice and Police Museum 00673
10. Meroogal, Nowra 00953
11. Vaucluse House 00955
12. Government House, Sydney 01070
13. First Government House Site (Museum of Sydney) 01309
14. Susannah Place 01310
Apr 24 2008
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0000202 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0000222 Jun 79 84 
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register     
Regional Environmental Plan  03 Jun 89   
Local Environmental Plan  07 May 93   
Register of the National Estate  21 Mar 78   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Colonial Landscapes of the Cumberland Plain and Camden, NSW2000 Morris, C., & Britton, G./NSW National Trust (for the Heritage Council of NSW)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written   
WrittenBogle, Michael1993Rouse Hill House the historical development of the gardens
WrittenConybeare Morrison & Partners2003Rouse Hill Curtilage Study View detail
WrittenCurran, Helen & Stark, Todd2016'In Good Hands' & 'Working Smart'
WrittenHeritage Council of NSW1982Annual Report 1982
WrittenHill, Scott2016'Upstairs / Downstairs'
WrittenHill, Scott2016'A Model Dairy'
TourismHistoric Houses Trust2004Rouse Hill House and Farm View detail
WrittenInnes, Ian2018'Summer scorchers don't trouble this old-fashioned beauty' View detail
WrittenLong, Elisha2017What lies beneath: Conservation works - Under the Paving stones at Rouse Hill House & Farm View detail
WrittenLucas, Clive & McGinness, Mark2012'John Fisher, 1924-2012 - Champion of the State's Structures'
WrittenMackaness, Caroline2010Rouse Hill House & Farm: new opportunities for interpretation
WrittenWatts, Peter2014(Open) Letter to Tim Duddy, Chairman, Friends of Historic Houses Trust Inc.

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5044989
File number: S90/05495; S96/00465 [S170]


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.