Fanny's Tavern | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Fanny's Tavern

Item details

Name of item: Fanny's Tavern
Other name/s: Argyle House & Site; Australian Agricultural Company Headquarters
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Inn/Tavern
Location: Lat: -32.9257476264 Long: 151.7751968240
Primary address: Argyle Street, Newcastle, NSW 2300
Parish: Newcastle
County: Northumberland
Local govt. area: Newcastle
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Awabakal
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT190 DP541370

Boundary:

Bounded by Wharf Road Argyle Street and Centenary Road
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Argyle StreetNewcastleNewcastleNewcastleNorthumberlandPrimary Address
Wharf RoadNewcastleNewcastleNewcastleNorthumberlandAlternate Address
Centenary RoadNewcastleNewcastle  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
MORU Propoerties Pty LtdPrivate25 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

Fanny's Tavern is a very good example of an early Victorian cottage (the original 1860s building) that has developed with the addition of many sympathetic buildings in a pavilion style of growth. It is thought to be the oldest surviving structure on this site. It may contain valuable evidence of early building practices and materials. The building has important associations with the Australian Agricultural Company, a principal influence in the early development of Newcastle and the Coal Mining Industry. The only known surviving structure, apart from the pier remnant from the iron bridge, of the early operations of the A.A Coy in the CBD. Fanny's Tavern has important associations with the prominent architects Menkens and Castleden.
Date significance updated: 13 Dec 01
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Menkens and Castleden. Designer of original cottage unknown.
Construction years: 1860-
Physical description: This large complex of buildings, linked in pavilion fashion, covers the entire property and is built to each of the three street alignments. Internal alterations and modern infill development on the Centenary Road side and the Argyle Street corner have been made to adapt the building complex for night club use. All buildings are rendered and painted light cream with label moulds and other features in contrasting colours. The original 1860s building is the most architecturally interesting. It has a high pitched roof with recent terracotta tiles and a narrow boxed eaves, and wall construction is rendered masonry with large stone sills to the window openings. This building is symmetrical to the Argyle Street frontage, where there is a central gabled porch with a central circular timber louvred ventilator surrounded by a raised circle matching the semicircular label mould over the entrance arch. The wide verandah, on both street frontages, has a bullnose corrugated iron roof, cast iron posts, and interesting wrought iron fringe and brackets wrought iron. Exposed rafters on the verandah are curved to follow the bullnose. The section of the verandah south of the entrance has been filled in with boarding, but this would be easy to remove. The verandah floor is asphalt over flagging, while a wrought iron fence with dagger tops and on a rounded stone plinth runs right around the verandah. There is an original double gate matching the fence. Double doors on the western end of the verandah were it abuts another building may be original. Windows are simple double sash, single paned. Wrought iron ventilator grills are a feature. Stone steps form the porch are now tiled and probably raised form their original level. The other early buildings are in keeping with the original one and are joined to it by various additions. The 1912 Castleden building, also fronting Wharf Street has bosses and anchoring points, possibly for a former awning. There is evidence that there was originally a verandah between these two building to match that of the 1860s building. This latter building also has a hipped roof. There is a part hipped, part gabled roof with boxed eaves to the Menkens 1903/Castleden 1909 building. The 1903 Menkens section has two tall, rendered chimneys. Window openings on the Centenary Road facade of the 1909 additions are very plain, the large windows are double sash, single pane. Large exhaust fans and associated ducting mar the roofs of the 1903-09 section and the original building, but could easily be removed. The recent infill sections have lower, flat corrugated iron roofs with a bullnose to street frontages. Interiors were not fully inspected. While there is some original joinery, the interiors have been largely altered and compromised (J. Tropman & G. Aplin).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Fair to good. Various additions and alterations have been made (eg. The terracotta roof tiles and possibly the gabled porch on the east side). These do not reduce the historic significance of the building. They do detract from the integrity of the structure as an historic artifact.
Date condition updated:13 Dec 01
Modifications and dates: 1903 - A second building, joined by a covered way, was designed by Frederick Menkens and built .
1907 - Additions to this second building were designed by Menkens and F G Castleden, and by Castleden in 1909 and 1919.
1912 - Castleden also designed a third essentially separate building.
c 1970 - Recent flat roofed additions served as basic accommodation for the nightclub function. A caretaker's cottage to the west of the existing buildings, designed by Castleden in 1912, was demolished

History

Historical notes: This complex of buildings has grown over about 125 years. The original building is believed to date from the 1860s. A second building, joined by a covered way, was designed by Frederick Menkens and built 1903. Additions to this second building were designed by Menkens and F G Castleden in 1907, and by Castleden in 1909 and 1919. Castleden also designed a third essentially separate building in 1912. Recent flat roofed additions served as basic accommodation for the nightclub function. A caretaker's cottage to the west of the existing buildings, designed by Castleden in 1912, was demolished c 1970. The complex served as the regional headquarters of the Australian Agricultural Company for many years: the company held a monopoly over coalmining in the Newcastle area from 1829 to 1847, but retaining mining and commercial interests in the district long after that. In recent years, until late 1989, the complex was used for Fanny's night club (J. Tropman & G. Aplin).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services Innkeeping-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This item is historically significant because it represents a good example of an early Victorian cottage. The building has important associations with the Australian Agricultural Company (as a former headquarters), a principal influence in the early development of Newcastle and the Coal Mining Industry by making it the centre of its agricultural and mining pursuits in the Hunter Valley.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Fanny's Tavern has important associations with the prominent architects Menkens and Castleden.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The notable features of the original buildings which remain include the verandah roof framing; cast-iron verandah posts and decoration; the cast iron picket fence (altered); much window joinery; some door architraves; a few doors and fanlights; some original skirtings; some plaster ceilings and cornices; at least one original fire surround; the 1907 strong room door (relocated) and possibly the original verandah sandstone paving underneath the existing finishes.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The main cultural significance of the property relates to its associations with the Australian Agricultural Company, the architects Menken and Castleden and its prominent position in the early development of Newcastle.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Record converted from HIS events


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(a) Change of use.
(b) Building and Garden maintenance.
(c)Any work to the former courtyard areas shown hatched on the accompanying diagram, except demolition and new buildings.
(d) Any fitout to the remainder of the site which does not affect original walls, openings, roofs, verandah detailing or original joinery and plasterwork.
Sep 30 1992
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0031502 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0031521 Sep 84 1374658

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5044990
File number: S90/05391 & HC 32853 EF14/5039


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.