Warehouse (former) | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Warehouse (former)

Item details

Name of item: Warehouse (former)
Other name/s: Warehouse
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Warehouse/storage area
Location: Lat: -33.8626884040 Long: 151.2097099680
Primary address: 16-18 Bulletin Place, Sydney, NSW 2000
Parish: St James
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Sydney
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT4 DP109096
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
16-18 Bulletin PlaceSydneySydneySt JamesCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private03 May 99

Description

Construction years: 1880-
Physical description: 16-18 Bulletin Place is the largest of three adjoining similarly-scaled former warehouses in Bulletin Place. It is a brick building four storeys high, with a basement half a storey below street level. Structurally it is divided into four longitudinal bays and two lateral bays, with heavy timber posts, girders, joists, floors and trusses mostly still visible. The sliding timber loading doors retain their chained footplates and overhead cat-head hoist beams and pulleys; one cathead still protected by a gable. The windows have flat segmental arched heads, picked out in lined colourwash; all have sandstone sills and all but those of the top storey have iron grilles. The main walling, laid in Flemish bond, employs cream common bricks said to have been imported from Scotland. The interior, though refurbished in 1967 and the 1980s still has original timber structure and some fittings visible. Category:Individual Building. Style:Victorian Georgian. Storeys:4 + Basement. Facade:Cream Brickwork with Colourwashed Arches, Stone Sills and Timber Windows and Doors. Side/Rear Walls:Brick. Internal Walls:Modern Timber and Metal Stud Partitions with Plasterboard. Roof Cladding:Corrugated Metal. Internal Structure:Timber Posts and Girders. Floor:Joists, Herringbone Strutting and Flooring Boards. Roof:Timber King-Post Trusses. Ceilings:Mostly Exposed Floor Structure. Stairs:Timber. Sprinkler System:Yes. Lifts:None. General Details:The facade is articulated very cleverly, giving an effect of two overlapping elements, each comprising a central loading bay with a goods entrance at street level, flanked by paired windows. Thus the rhythm of the openings on each storey is 2-windows, 1-door, 2-windows, 1-door, 2-windows. Though described elsewhere as `in the vernacular tradition', it is a sophisticated design. The sheaves and cylinder of a hydraulic hoist survive beside the top loading doorway at the north-west end of the building..
Modifications and dates: c1880s (Howells, c1850s)
Current use: Restaurant, Ground Floor; Storage, Basement; upper floors, Health Club
Former use: Aboriginal land, town lot, wine cellar, storage, offices

History

Historical notes: The "Eora people" was the name given to the coastal Aborigines around Sydney. Central Sydney is therefore often referred to as "Eora Country". Within the City of Sydney local government area, the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the Eora. There is no written record of the name of the language spoken and currently there are debates as whether the coastal peoples spoke a separate language "Eora" or whether this was actually a dialect of the Dharug language. Remnant bushland in places like Blackwattle Bay retain elements of traditional plant, bird and animal life, including fish and rock oysters.

With the invasion of the Sydney region, the Cadigal and Wangal people were decimated but there are descendants still living in Sydney today. All cities include many immigrants in their population. Aboriginal people from across the state have been attracted to suburbs such as Pyrmont, Balmain, Rozelle, Glebe and Redfern since the 1930s. Changes in government legislation in the 1960s provided freedom of movement enabling more Aboriginal people to choose to live in Sydney (sourced from Anita Heiss, "Aboriginal People and Place", Barani: Indigenous History of Sydney City http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/barani ).

The street marks the side boundaries of allotments which first appeared on James Meehan's map of 1807, sloping down to the Tank Stream from the street that became Macquarie Place (LEP, 2005). Bulletin Place is situated on land reclaimed from the mouth of the historic Tank Stream, which today runs underneath Pitt Street (Sing, 1988).

The site was part of the grant of 1 acre 37 - 1/2 roods made by Governor Macquarie to Andrew Thompson on 1 January 1810. It seems that Mary Reibey, one of the best known early merchants, also owned the land at one time (LEP, 2005). Thompson was a wealthy emansipist merchant and a favourite of the then Governor, Captain Bligh. When he died in september 1818, the land was sold to William Browne, a Sydney merchant, for 1075 pounds. He sold it to Prosper de Mestre in 1828 for 2100 pounds. De Mestre was a prominent mercantile and public figure, but later fell into financial trouble in the early 1840s depression. The land was taken from him and sold to an Eleanor Terry who let it to tenants.

The first reference to 'Bulletin Place' was in Sands Sydney Directory in 1867, when it was described as a lane. By 1870 it had been upgraded into a passageway, and in 1890 it was recorded as Bulletin Place. Bulletin Place is the only Sydney thoroughfare named after a publication, for it was here that J F Archibald's famous weekly "The Bulletin" was published for many years following its foundation in 1880 (LEP, 2005). The Bulletin owned stores and offices at the intersection of the passageway with Pitt Street. The Bulletin remained in this location until 1897, when it moved to newer and larger offices in George Street (Sing, 1988).

The warehouse was erected before 1880, it appears in Percy Dove's Sydney map of that year. Its basic form suggests an earlier date of construction. From 1880 to 1884 it was occupied by Mrs Eliza Tinsley, ironmonger. Merchant brothers Mahlon Clarke and Thomas Cowlishaw acquired the property in March 1888 from Edward Terry. The Cowlishaw Bros. were heavily involved in the coal trade (LEP, 2005).

Other companies which have occupied the warehouses along Bulletin Place are: Sandy & Co. Glass, Oil & Colour Stores; Chard Marshall; J.C.Steel Tanners; Harrison & Whitton Skin & Produce Merchants; and the Sydney Volcanic Aerated Water Company (Sing, 1988).

Howells dates the building as `c 1850s'. It underwent reinstatement after a fire in 1937 and became a wine bottling and filtering facility in 1950. In 1981 the ground floor was used for wine auctions (LEP, 2005).

Northbourne Developments bought the three Bulletin Place warehouse properties 6-8, 10-12 and 14-18 in 1986 (LEP, 2005). In 1988 they renovated these three warehouses as office and retail spaces, using Clive Lucas, Stapleton & Partners heritage consultants) and constructed a $150million dollar retail and office complex on the corfner adjoining Macquarie Place development at the end of the street on the corner of Macquarie Place. The major development complex was due for completion in March 1990.

The largest building (16-18 Bulletin Place) leased to Len Evans Wine Co.) was established as a two storey warehouse belonging to Austin's Stores. The second-oldest (6-8 Bulletin Place) leased by Bulletin Place restaurant) was originally owned by Elliot Bros. Druggists and then beame the premises of Tinsley Ironmonger. The third warehouse, is 10-14 Bulletin Place, on the corner of Pitt Street, (leased as offices) was owned by a Mr Bernhardt Holtermann, who had a successful commercial agency three between 1877 and 1885. He is best known for his Hill End mine, which yielded the largest specimen of reef gold in the world.
Sydney City Council paved both Bulletin Place and Macquarie Place turning them into pedestrian walkways (Sing, 1988).

In 1993 the property was sold by Northbourne and bought by financial planners MacDonald McGregor (LEP, 2005).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
1. Environment-Tracing the evolution of a continent's special environments Environment - naturally evolved-Activities associated with the physical surroundings that support human life and influence or shape human cultures. Changing the environment-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services Warehousing and storage for commercial enterprises-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings Developing local, regional and national economies-National Theme 3
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Building settlements, towns and cities-National Theme 4
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal 1820s-1850s land grants-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Naming places (toponymy)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Demonstrating Governor Macquarie's town and landscape planning-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Macquarie's town layout-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Early Sydney Street-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Laneway-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Rare Sydney Laneway-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages 19th century suburban developments-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Developing ports-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Artists settlement and networks-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Schedule A,B,C


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
The maintenance of any building or item on the sites meaning the continuous protective care of existing materials.
Dec 22 1989
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions ORDER UNDER SECTION 57(2) OF THE HERITAGE ACT 1977

Standard exemptions for engaging in or carrying out activities / works otherwise prohibited by section 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977.

I, Donald Harwin, the Special Minister of State pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales do by this Order, effective 1 December 2020:

1. revoke the order made on 11 July 2008 and published on pages 91177 to 9182 of Government Gazette Number 110 of 5 September 2008 and varied by notice published in the Government Gazette on 5 March 2015; and

2. grant the exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 that are described in the attached Schedule.

Donald Harwin
Special Minister of State
Signed this 9th Day of November 2020.

To view the standard exemptions for engaging in or carrying out activities / works otherwise prohibited by section 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 click on the link below.
Nov 13 2020

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0065302 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0065322 Dec 89 124 
Local Environmental PlanSydney Local Environmental Plan 01 Nov 05   
National Trust of Australia register  610401 Nov 82   
Register of the National Estate  28 Sep 82   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
National Trust Suburban Register19866104National Trust of Australia (NSW)  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenSing, Tricia1988"Bulletin Place: a new retail/commericial drawcard - reminder of early Sydney"

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage NSW
Database number: 5045084
File number: S90/01846 & HC 89/1278


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.