Royal Oak Arms Hotel (former) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Royal Oak Arms Hotel (former)

Item details

Name of item: Royal Oak Arms Hotel (former)
Other name/s: Royal Oak Arms Hotel
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Hotel
Location: Lat: -32.5987806011 Long: 151.6187922560
Primary address: 18 King Street, Paterson, NSW 2421
Parish: Houghton
County: Durham
Local govt. area: Dungog
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Mindaribba
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT55 DP529898
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
18 King StreetPatersonDungogHoughtonDurhamPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The Royal Oak Arms Inn is historically significant as a building that has stood for over 135 years within the centre of Paterson. The use of the building has changed to suit the needs of the town. The history of the building is strongly linked to the original settlement of Paterson and with its subsequent growth and development. It begun as a residence for the convict surgeon, was used as an inn, hotel, bank, small store and residence as the township developed. The Royal Oak Arms Inn is significant as an example of early Georgian architecture within the townscape of Paterson. (Suters and Busteed Pty Ltd 1982) Located in a key position in the town of Paterson, the building forms a part of the townscape group with the hotel, Court House, Post Office and Church. It is an important element in the vista down Duke Street. (Branch Managers Report to the Heritage Council 19 September 1980) The Royal Oak Arms Inn is socially significant as a landmark for the people and township of Paterson. It forms part of the image of Paterson, and image that lies with the original settlement and the growth that followed. The early twentieth century additions have altered the character of the building slightly but not adversely affected its appearance within the streetscape.
Date significance updated: 03 Oct 00
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The Royal Oak Arms Inn is situated in what was once the busy commercial centre of the township of Paterson. It is a two storey brick rendered building designed in the early Colonial Georgian style. Its original single storey street verandah was replaced in the late 1900s with the two storey federation Style verandah that still stands today. A doorway was cut into the wall at the first floor to allow access onto the verandah.

The original timber shingles to the hipped and skillion roof have been overlaid with sheets of corrugated iron. The verandah addition is sheeted with corrugated iron and has a bull nose edge.

The original twelve paned windows were replaced with four pan windows before the turn of the century. The windows were shuttered. A number of the original elegant French doors to the ground floor rear verandah remain, however their shutters no longer exist.
Modifications and dates: 1994 - restoration of verandah
Former use: Hotel, Inn, bank, small business

History

Historical notes: The exact date of the construction of the Royal Oak Inn remains unknown, however it is certain that it was built in the 1840s as a residence for Dr. Issac Scott Nind. Dr Nind was a surgeon stationed at Paterson to attend to convict gangs working in the area.

In 1853 William Morris Read purchased the property from Dr nind and kept a wine and spirit store until his return to England in 1858.

From 1858 to 1864 Edward William long used the premises as an inn.

The premises was used as the Royal Oak Arms Hotel from 1865 to 1866 with the licence held by Daniel Long. It was used a as hotel up until 1876.

From 1882 to 1902 the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney used the premises as a bank until in 1902 it moved into new premises across the street.

From 1902 to 1915 the premises were rented by Mr and Mrs Williamson who ran a small mixed business store including a barber, billiard room and refreshments.

William John McGill purchase the premises in 1915 and used the hotel as the family residence and the kitchen outbuildings as a butchering establishment. William has his brother in law Mr J Thompson, a builder, demolish the front verandah and build the two storey verandah that still stands today. In 1930 William McGill died and left the property to his daughters.

Walter McGill purchased his brothers and two sister’s share of the property and became the family home. The kitchen outbuildings continued to be used as a Butchers shop.

In 1968 Mr McGill subdived the allotments and sold the portion of land now known as Lot 55. The Royal Oak Arms Hotel was separated from the outbuildings.

Since 1968 the building as passed through a number of hands and has been uninhabited for the majority of that time.

In 1979 concerned for the lack of maintenance of the building, residents of Paterson requested the Heritage Council to take action under the Heritage Act to conserve the building. The action was also supported by the National Trust.

On 6 March 1981 a Permanent Conservation Order was placed over the Royal Oak Inn.

In 1981 Moparrabah Investments Pty Ltd purchased the property.

In 1987 through the Heritage Assistance Program funding was made available to assist in the restoration work being undertaken to the Royal Oak Inn. In 1994 the Heritage Council approved work for the restoration of the front verandah.

On 2 April 1999 the Royal Oak Inn was transferred to the State Heritage Register.

(The Royal Oak Arms Hotel - Architectural Report by Sutesr and Busteed Pty Ltd 1982 for Moparrabah Investments Pty Ltd).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Royal Oak Arms Inn is historically significant as a building that has stood for over 135 years within the centre of Paterson. The use of the building has changed to suit the needs of the town. The history of the building is strongly linked to the original settlement of Paterson and with its subsequent growth and development. It begun as a residence for the convict surgeon, was used as an inn, hotel, bank, small store and residence as the township developed. The Royal Oak Arms Inn is socially significant as a landmark for the people and township of Paterson. It forms part of the image of Paterson, and image that lies with the original settlement and the growth that followed.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Royal Oak Arms Inn is significant as an example of early Georgian architecture within the townscape of Paterson. (Suters and Busteed Pty Ltd 1982) Located in a key position in the town of Paterson, the building forms a part of the townscape group with the hotel, Court House, Post Office and Church. It is an important element in the vista down Duke Street. (Branch Managers Report 19 September 1980)
Integrity/Intactness: The early twentieth century additions have altered the character of the building slightly but not adversely affected its appearance within the streetscape.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0014102 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0014106 Mar 81 381418
Regional Environmental PlanHunter REP 1989 03 Nov 89 1079355
Local Environmental Plan  06 Apr 90 1079355

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenBranch Manager, Heritage Branch1980Branch Manager's Report to the Heritage Council 19/9/1980
WrittenSuters and Busteed Pty Ltd1982The Royal Oak Arms Hotel - Architectural Report

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045154
File number: S90/05970 & HC 32334


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.