St. John's Anglican Church and Rectory | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

St. John's Anglican Church and Rectory

Item details

Name of item: St. John's Anglican Church and Rectory
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Location: Lat: -34.1045857731 Long: 141.9192027470
Primary address: Darling Street, Wentworth, NSW 2648
Parish: Wentworth
County: Wentworth
Local govt. area: Wentworth
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Dareton
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP859499
LOT2 DP859499
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Darling StreetWentworthWentworthWentworthWentworthPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private 
The Anglican Parish of WentworthReligious Organisation 

Statement of significance:

Constructed in 1871 St John's Church and Rectory was the first Anglican Church built on the Darling River, being constructed only six years after a Diocese was formed in Goulburn. The Church and Rectory were probably the first substantial buildings constructed in Wentworth. St John's Anglican Church and Rectory represents the link between the early settlement and development of the Murray Darling basin. The buildings are of scientifc interest because of their method of construction, a combination of random rubble and brickwork, a method uncommon in the State.
Date significance updated: 27 Aug 08
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Reverand A.D. Soares
Construction years: 1871-1871
Physical description: St John's Anglican Church is built of random rubble with red face brick quions and buttresses. The random rubble walls have been bagged and the brickwork has rendered and painted highlights. The roof of the church and the spire are clad in galvanised iron over a cedar hammerbeam roof truss frame. The internal roof lining, the pulpit and pews of the church are also made of cedar. The windows in the church are of a lancet type, are leadlighted and included coloured and etched glass inserts.

The Rectory to St John's Church is a large single storey building constructed of random rubble and has been rendered, It has a corrugated iron roof and a wrap around verandah supported by cylindrical columns on cement bocks. the four brick chimney stacks have slender cast iron pots. It is located in close proximity to the Church.
Modifications and dates: 28/5/1987 Heritage Council approval to replace a back verandah and sleepout from the Rectory and replace with an extenion containing two bedrooms and a family room.
Current use: Church
Former use: Church

History

Historical notes: A visit by Bishop Thomas to Wentworth in 1870 resulted in local pressure for the construction of a church. However it was a time of hardship was the 1870 flood had devastated Wentworth driving out residents and checking trade. Money was elusive when in February 1871 Bishop Thomas sent the Reverend William Cocks to report on what might be done in forming a parish in Wentworth.

A visit by Bishop Thomas to Wentworth in 1870 resulted in local pressure for the construction of a church. However it was a time of hardship and economic downturn as the 1870 flood had devastated Wentworth driving out residents and checking trade. Money was elusive when in February 1871 Bishop Thomas sent the Reverend William Cocks to report on what might be done in forming a parish in Wentworth.

Reverend Cocks became the first resident Anglican minister in Wentworth. A building fund was established and over 100 community members subscribed that resulted in the construction of the church. A bazaar and auction was also held that resulted in the raising of 188 pounds. On 23 May 1871 the Foundation Stone of the new church was laid by His Honour, Judge Francis.

Many people of other denominations were very generous and contributed financially to the construction of the Church. In return the Reverend Cocks, with concurrence of his Bishop made the services of the Church of England available to all denominations which desired his care, because there was no other Church or Minister available. Considering that the township of Wentworth only contained 370 inhabitants and the entire district about 1200 all told, the construction of the building is of great credit to the local community

Reverend Cox acted as overseer and contractor of the building of St John's. The stone was brought to the site by barges. He gave assistance wherever he could be useful and after clerical duties he would mix mortar and he became known as 'the Reverent Mixer of Mortar'. The bricks were acquired from the Presbyterian Church Committee which had abandoned the intention of building. The building committee of the Roman Catholic Church likewise suffered a setback and as a result Reverend Cocks acquired their stained glass windows. Mr G Brooks of Kermode Street, North Adelaide completed the set of twelve windows. They are elaborately constructed of stained glass with appropriate devices, with the large gable window over the alter being especially rich in ornamentation.

The Church of St John was opened for Worship on Christmas Day 1871 and the first service was conducted by Reverend Cocks.

On 14 August 1874 the Foundation Stone of the Rectory was laid by Mrs William Crozier of Moorna Station and at the same time a wooden schoolhouse and meeting room (Parish Hall) was opened.

In 1986 the Heritage Branch was contacted in relation to a proposal to purchase the rectory for demolition to provide car park spaces for the adjoining Services Club.

On 9 December 1986 a section 130 order was placed over the site. On 20 March 1987 an Interim Heritage Order was placed over the buildings. In 1987 financial assistance of $16,000 made available for restoration works. A Permanent Conservation Order was placed on 23 March 1989. On 2 April 1999 St John's Anglican Church and Rectory was transferred to the State Heritage Register.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship Practising Anglicanism-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Constructed in 1871 St John's Church and Rectory were the first Anglican Church built on the Darling River, being constructed only six years after a Diocese was formed in Goulburn. The Church and Rectory were probably the first substantial buildings constructed in Wentworth. St John's Anglican Church and Rectory represents the link between the early settlement and development of the Murray Darling basin.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Church and Rectory form an important part of a 'civic building' precinct in the main street of Wentworth on the banks of the Darling River. The chuch is an extremely important streetscape item with its prominent iron spire and steeply pitched roof.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The buildings are of scientifc interest because of their method of construction, a combination of random rubble and brickwork, a method uncommon in the State.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Record converted from HIS events


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
The maintenance of any building or item within the curtilage where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material.
May 15 1987
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act also Wentworth Hotel Darling St.,
Record converted from HIS events


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
The maintenance of any building or item within the curtilage where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material.
May 15 1987
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act See File For Schedule


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material.
Mar 23 1989
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0066102 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0066123 Feb 89 0361602
Local Environmental Plan  07 May 93   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Tourism  Wentworth Shire Council Heritage survey View detail
WrittenN Grace The First Church on the Darling
WrittenReverend L.P.G Smith Ninety Years On

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045162
File number: S90/02024 & HC 86/2398


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.