Saddlery, The | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Saddlery, The

Item details

Name of item: Saddlery, The
Other name/s: Butchers Shop, The Saddlery
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Retail and Wholesale
Category: Shop
Location: Lat: -33.6119506506 Long: 149.1411471390
Primary address: Icely Street, Carcoar, NSW 2791
Parish: Errol
County: Bathurst
Local govt. area: Blayney
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Orange
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT119DP758225
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Icely StreetCarcoarBlayneyErrolBathurstPrimary Address
Coombing StreetCarcoarBlayneyErrolBathurstAlternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private24 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

The Saddlery makes an important contribution to the character of Carcoar. The shop front in particular is a rare survivor of a ‘shuttered’ shop font. The Saddlery displays many fine Georgian architectural features. The Saddlery is associated with the Clarke family, a well respected and active family in the Carcoar area. (Heritage Office files)
Date significance updated: 22 May 01
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: William Doyle, Alexander Clarke
Construction years: 1840-1860
Physical description: The buildings consist of a fine Georgian two storied brick shop built in the 1860’s and a single storey wing dating from the 1840’s. The building contains fine Georgian fire surrounds, built-in cedar cupboards and an internal cedar staircase. Unusual side-pivoted sash windows also survive. The complex displays a wealth of early Georgian details. The shop-front in particular is a rare survival of a ‘shuttered’ display front.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Physical condition is good.
Date condition updated:22 May 01
Modifications and dates: 1840's - single storey wing constructed
1860's - two storey building constructed
1980's - restoration
Current use: Residence
Former use: Saddlery, shop

History

Historical notes: In 1844 William Doyle received a Crown Land Grant on which he constructed a small building, which he ran from 1844 to 1850 as a licensed inn. The core of Doyle’s building appears to be within the single storied sections surviving today.

In 1850 Doyle sold the site and buildings for the sum of 52 pounds to Mr John Neville, labourer, who in turn, in 1852 sold to Alexander Clarke.

Clarke was a Saddler by trade, however he appears to have used the single storey buildings as a local butcher shop in the 1850’s and 1860’s. The bushranger Frank Gardiner, on his ticket of leave from Cockatoo Island, is known to have worked for Clarke for a period of three months in the early 1860s.

The two storied building, presently referred to as The Saddlery, was probably constructed by Clarke in the 1860’s and used by him as a Saddlery up until his death in 1905. Clarke’s family was well respected in the area. His brother, W.T. Clarke, owned a large store on the main street of Carcoar, and Alexander himself became a Councillor on the Carcoar Town Council. He is buried in the Carcoar cemetery and a substantial headstone marks his grave.

The property was held by the family until 1915 and since that time has been used as a private residence.

In 1979 the then owner of The Saddlery, Mr Ron Murray applied for financial assistance to restore The Saddlery.

In 1981 through the Heritage Conservation Fund, the Saddlery was restored with the aid of a $40,000 grant and a $35,000 loan.

As part of the conditions of the financial assistance and to ensure the long term preservation of The Saddlery the Heritage Council recommended to the Minister that a Permanent Conservation Order be placed over the building. It was gazetted on 26 October 1984 and transferred to the State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Industry-Activities associated with the manufacture, production and distribution of goods Manufacturing agricultural implements and machinery-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups (none)-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0032802 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0032826 Oct 84 1505218

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
TourismAttraction Homepage2007Carcoar Heritage Walk View detail
TourismCarcoar Village Association2006Carcoar Village visitor information View detail
WrittenCoupe, Hewitt & Cserhalmi Architects1981Report on the Conservation and Restoration of The Saddlery and Outbuildings
TourismTourism NSW2007Carcoar Historic Town And Walking Tour View detail

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045316
File number: EF14/4437; S90/3545; HC32192


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.