Tulloona | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Tulloona

Item details

Name of item: Tulloona
Other name/s: Northcott House, St Peter's Anglican Church
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: House
Location: Lat: -28.8153513747 Long: 153.3186796830
Primary address: 562 Ballina Road, Goonellabah, NSW 2480
Local govt. area: Lismore
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Ngulingah
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOTA DP358562
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
562 Ballina RoadGoonellabahLismore  Primary Address
106 BALLINA Road (BRUXNER H'WAY)LismoreLismoreLismoreRousAlternate Address
Bruxner HighwayLismoreLismoreLismoreRousAlternate Address
106 Ballina RoadLismoreLismoreLismoreRousAlternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Mrs Sue DakinPrivate 

Statement of significance:

A rare surviving house from the late Victorian period. One of the oldest known residences in the Lismore urban area. Tulloona is a fine example of a two storey weatherboard house. It displays a high degree of integrity, and features design elements that exemplify opulent Victorian taste. Associated with a well-known local family. Originally built on a large rural holding at Goonellabah, then a separate village. Considerable social and historical interest for its many owners and uses over the years. (Perumal Murphy Wu 1995)
Date significance updated: 04 Feb 00
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: Mr Brown
Construction years: 1895-1896
Physical description: Site and landscape:
Farm originally comprising several hundred acres, with dairy and piggery on the northern end of the property overlooking Bexhill.

Tulloona house is sited towards the centre of a 3788m2 block adjacent to the junction of Ballina Road, Rous Road and the Bruxner Highway.

Significant plantings along the front boundary and within the articulation zone obscure views to Tullonna House from the street. Large trees, planted along the eastern boundary punctuate views from the residence to No. 564 and 566 Ballina Road.

The land contains a circular drive and garden to the front, an early school house to the rear and a scattering of subtropical trees.

Garden:
An 'English Park' setting with the house on 4 acres set at the highest point of the farm with wonderful views in all directions.

The house and high tank stand was a well known landmark and was a tourist attraction and could be seen from Casino and Dunoon. The walls could also be seen from Bangalow and Byron Bay lighthouse with binoculars.

In the rear yard small garden beds are clustered around the School House, pool, and Residence.

House:
An impressive large scale house displaying all the exuberance of a high Victorian residence befitting that of a successful country gentleman. The house is a two-storey verandahed structure of local timber with weatherboard sheeting. The plan is basically a square with projecting bays to the main rooms. These bay windows contain rather distinctive shaped fenestration recalling the English Gothic-Revival. The galvanised steel verandah roofs have a distinctive ogee shape and the wide verandahs possess deep pointed timber valence boards with cast iron columns, panels and frieze which impart an air of lightness contrasting with the solid massing of the bays.

The house interior is lined with horizontal beaded timber boards throughout which were originally stained.

The major rooms are grand in scale (up to 10m by 9m) with the generous ceiling height of 4.8m throughout. All these rooms contain rich Victorian marble mantelpieces to the fireplaces with pattern inlays to sides and hearth. The central staircase is of impressive proportions with cedar balustrade and panelling surrounds reflecting a taste for 'Old English' detailing (National Trust of Australia (NSW), 1978).

Outbuildings and structures:
Schoolroom:
A schoolroom was built behind (north of) the house.

Generating Plant:
An acetylene and generating plant supplied the lighting for the house and buildings.

Water Tank, Windmill and Well:
A two thousand gallon tank was erected between house and schoolroom, and water pumped to the tank by a windmill, erected beside a twenty eight feet deep, eighteen feet in diameter well. The water was piped to every part of the property, including pipes for hundreds of yards to the house, dairy and piggery on the farm on the northern end of the property overlooking Bexhill.

Stables:
Stables for 4 horses were built at the back of the 4 acre property, together with the

Carriage House:
Carriage house for 2 buggies, a sulky and a 'sociable', which held 9 people.

Tank Stand:
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Physical condition is good.
Date condition updated:27 May 98
Modifications and dates: 1872 Thomas McGregor erected a hut and set about preparing the site for a residence.
1879-95 William and Jessie Northcott purchased a farm of several hundred acres at Goonellabah
Farm originally comprising several hundred acres, with dairy and piggery on the northern end of the property overlooking Bexhill.
1895-6 Tulloona House built in 1895 for the Northcotts. William set out to establish an 'English Park' setting, siting Tulloona on 4 acres at the highest point with wonderful views in all directions.
date? subdivided - now (2008) comprises Tulloona house towards the centre of a 3788m2 block
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: Thomas McGregor was the owner of the land in 1872. He erected a hut and set about preparing the site for a residence.

William and Jessie Northcott arrived in Lismore in 1879 and bought businesses and had a saddlery business in the already developed town. The expanding Northcott family lived above their 'Trading Palace' in Molesworth Street, Lismore. He later purchased a farm of several hundred acres at Goonellabah. Tulloona House was built in 1895 for the Northcott family. William Northcott set out to establish an 'English Park' setting and sited Tulloona on 4 acres at the highest point with wonderful views in all directions. The builder was Mr Brown, father of the late George Brown of Brown & Jolly.

A schoolroom was built behind the house. All the buildings were painted white. An acetylene and generating plant supplied the lighting for the house and buildings.

A two thousand gallon tank was erected between the house and the schoolroom, and the water was pumped to the tank by a windmill, erected beside a twenty eight feet deep, eighteen feet in diameter well. The water was piped to every part of the property, including pipes for hundreds of yards to the house, dairy and piggery on the farm on the northern end of the property overlooking Bexhill.

Stables for 4 horses was built at the back of the 4 acre property, together with the carriage house for 2 buggies, a sulky and a 'sociable', which held 9 people (3 in the front and 6 in the back with seats facing each other). The sulky was for the use of the staff on their days off. William Northcott drove to Lismore each ay in the smaller buggy, which he called the phaeton. On Sundays he drove his family to Church in the 'sociable' with 2 matching grey horses. This outfit was always made available when anyone of note came to Lismore, and the 2 horses, Beauchamp and Carrington, showed their paces on these important occasions. On their outings to Ballina, a 3rd horse Prince was harnessed with them. All members of the family were competent both as drivers and riders.

In 1910 the family purchased their first car, a model T Ford. They all learned to drive except William who loved to drive his horses, and after his first attempt was content to be a passenger.

The house and high tank stand was a well known landmark and was a tourist attraction and could be seen from Casino and Dunoon. The walls could also be seen from Bangalow and Byron Bay lighthouse with binoculars.

Three maids were employed in the house and always wore uniforms, caps and aprons. Two men were employed outside. (Northcott, Grey, McLennan)

In 1915 the family moved to Sydney and sold Tulloona to Dr Cahill.

In 1961 the Anglican Church bought the property. In 1978 the Anglican Church advertised for demolition tenders for the house to sell as building materials. That same year an Interim Conservation Order was placed on Tullona to prevent demolition.

In 1980 Tulloona was purchased by the Mr Randall. He applied successfully to the Heritage Assistance Program for funding to conserve Tulloona. Conservation and restoration work was undertaken in the following years.

In 1981 a Permanent Conservation Order was placed on Tulloona.

The Heritage Council awarded $2,500 to the owners to contribute to a CMP which was produced in August 2005.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups (none)-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with William and Jessie Northcott, saddler / merchant family-

Recommended management:

The Heritage Council awarded $2,500 to the owners towards a CMP which was produced in August 2005

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Recommended ManagementProduce a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) 
Recommended ManagementPrepare a maintenance schedule or guidelines 
Recommended ManagementCarry out interpretation, promotion and/or education 

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0005102 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0005106 Nov 81 1705708
Regional Environmental Plan  23 Dec 94   
Local Environmental Plan  19 Mar 93   
National Trust of Australia register   03 Jul 78   
Register of the National Estate  14 May 91   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenA Northcott, Grey, M McLennan Historical Records
WrittenAinsworth Heritage2009Tulloona - Addendum to Statement of Heritage Impact - Replacement Roof
TourismAttraction Homepage2007Tulloona View detail
WrittenG & L Randall1995Historical Records
WrittenKenneth Young2005Conservation Management Plan for Tulloona House
WrittenNational Trust of Australia (NSW)1978Classification Card - Tulloona House
WrittenPerumal Murphy Wu1995Lismore Heritage Study
WrittenS & M Dakin, dated 23 October 20132013 Statement of Heritage Impact - Construction of Two Carports for Car Accommodation

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045319
File number: S90/06219 & HC 32050


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.