Engehurst | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Engehurst

Item details

Name of item: Engehurst
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Villa
Location: Lat: -33.8805247786 Long: 151.2257709360
Primary address: 56A Ormond Street, Paddington, NSW 2021
Parish: Alexandria
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Woollahra
Local Aboriginal Land Council: La Perouse
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
   CP/SP31878
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
56A Ormond StreetPaddingtonWoollahraAlexandriaCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private24 Mar 99
 Private24 Mar 99
 Private24 Mar 99
 Private24 Mar 99
 Private24 Mar 99
 Private24 Mar 99
 Private24 Mar 99

Description

Designer/Maker: John Verge
Construction years: 1834-1835
Physical description: Site:
The site of Engehurst was part of the original seven acre grant to Hely and Francis Nicholas Rossi.

House:
The building has a simple facade treatment which follows the form and detailing of the original design. Two to three storey rendered stone residence in the Victorian Georgian style. A three storey gabled section fronting onto Ormond Street has galvanised iron roof and boxed eaves, decorative timber bargeboards and gable screen. Walls are rendered masonry, ashlar lined, and feature stucco string course below eaves. Windows to eastern facade are randomly placed, and are timber multi-paned double hung or casement. An entrance at the southern end has multi-paned door, top and side lights. A small gabled porch supported bt timber posts on a rendered masonry base, has decorative timber barge board, gable end, and plasterboard lining to the underside.

The northern facade is a parapet wall, and features Classical detailing, including stone pilasters supporting entablatures at both ground and first floor level. Bare sandstone at ground level, rendered and lined at first floor level. Tall narrow timber double hung windows at ground level, stone sills, and internal security grilles. Windows at first floor level have segmental arched heads and stucco architraves.

A three storey timber framed addition to the north eastern corner has gable roof with galvanised iron sheeting, similar barge board and gable screen. Exposed timber frame, timber lattice infill at ground level, fibre cement infill to upper floors. Windows are multi-paned casement, unframed sliding glass windows at second floor level have internal consertina style shutters. Terra cotta tiled courts behind stone and cast iron fence to Ormond Street.

A plaque erected by the Lions Club of Paddington for the bicentenary reads 'Engehurst 1835 Facade of John Verge's Georgian Mansion built for Augustus Hely.'
Style: Victorian Georgian
External Materials: Sandstone walls, sections rendered and ashlar lined. Galvanised iron sheeting to roof, timber bargeboards and gable screens. Timber framed addition, fibre cement panels. Timber double hung or casement windows, multi-paned door.
Internal Materials: Unseen (LEP, 1995).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building's simple facade treatment follows the form and detailing of the original design. The building has some research potential and would have some archaeological potential due to the time it has been in place (LEP, 1995).
Date condition updated:25 Jan 13
Modifications and dates: There are two three storey brick apartment buildings to the north and south. Alterations include, the replacement of a paling fence and concrete retaining wall to the rear alignment with a new concrete block wall in 1972, and the renovation of existing external metal stairs in 1983. In 1987 alterations included bathroom and kitchen renovations, the restoration of the rear balcony, construction of new laundries into existing hallways, and new internal stairs. Conservation work to existing fabric was also undertaken at this time, and included repairs to existing joinery, surfaces and finishes, and some repainting (LEP, 1995).
Current use: residence
Former use: residence

History

Historical notes: Paddington:
This suburb, which took its name from the London borough, lies in what were once paddocks adjacent to Victoria Barracks. It was the first of the early Sydney suburbs that was not self-sufficient - its inhabitants, unlike those of Balmain or Newtown, where work was available in local industries, had to go away each day to their places of employment. Development of the Eastern Suburbs (Edgecliff, Double Bay, Point Piper and Woollahra) surrounded this area with wealthy people's homes so this small hilly suburb lost all hope of harbour views.

The area developed after a road was constructed to link up with a pilot station that was to be built at Watson's Bay (South Head Road). John Palmer, the settlement's commissary, refused to allow people to cross his land grant ('Woolloomooloo'), so the road had to follow a roundabout way through Paddington to bypass his 100 acres.

...only a handful of workers lived in the area, and it was not until 1838, when it was decided to build a new military barracks in Paddington, that life came to the area.

From 1848 when Victoria Barracks had been opened (designed by Lt.-Col.George Barney) and homes for the soldiers and their families had been erected, Paddington began to assume a real identity...The (barracks site) land was sandy - in fact a huge sandhill was located on the western side of the Greens Road area, and the foundation trenches had to be dug very deep, to locate firm stone for the foundations. Stone was mostly quarried in the area: the stone masons were free settlers who had worked on erection of the Customs House at what was then Semi-Circular Quay.

...Once the soldiers and their families moved here, shopkeepers followed. Builders moved into the area and put up 3,800 houses between 1860 and 1890. These terraces give today's Paddington its air of individuality...The first school in the area was opened in the Presbyterian manse in Oxford Street, built in 1845.

...It is hard to imagine that in 1822 the mansion Juniper Hall (the opposite southern corner of Oxford Street from the Reservoir site) stood alone, without the many neighbours it has today. Set in a flagged garden, it had attic windows that gave panoramic views to Rushcutters Bay and Botany Bay. Juniper Hall was built for Robert Cooper, distiller and emancipist merchant, who with partners James Underwood and Francis Ewen Forbes, had recieved 100 acres from Governor Brisbane in c.1818, covering the whole of north Paddington, and they agreed to erect 3 mansions and a distillery there. A distillery was built at the foot of Cascade Street near Taylor Square and Cooper bought out his partners, and only Juniper Hall was erected...The Coopers were part of the social scene of their day and entertained many notables of that time.

Today few of the area's original working class residents remain, as the suburb's proximity to the city has made it popular with business and professional people who prefer inner-city living in this historic area. The shopping centre, concentrated on the north side of Oxford Street, has also changed from one serving local needs to one of cafes, speciality shops and boutiques...Much of this is related to the changing population and the Village Bazaar, or Paddington Markets. The bazaar, which has operated since the mid 1970s, draws visitors from all over the city and has contributed to Paddington's development as one of Sydney's favourite tourist spots, along with Bondi Beach and The Rocks (Pollen, 1988, 195-7).

Engehurst:
The site is located in the Rushcutters Bay Valley, bounded by the Old and New South Head Roads, Point Piper Road and Boundary Road, and characterised in the mid nineteenth century by architect designed 'mansion villas' situated in cultivated grounds for the 'Paddington Gentry.'

The site of Engehurst was part of the original seven acre grant to Frederick Augustus Hely and Francis Nicholas Rossi. The house at Engehurst was designed by architect John Verge and built for Frederick Augustus Hely, Principal Superintendent of Convicts, in 1834-5, located on the original seven acre grant to Hely and Francis Nicholas Rossi (LEP, 1995). The house was built using convict labour (http://oldestatesforsale.wordpress.com/2013/05/ - 4/5/2013).

Hely was Principal Superintendent of Convicts from 1823 until his death in 1836. After receiving a Crown grant of 1 acre, 2 roods and 2 perches, he purchased 6 acres and 2 roods from Captain Nicholas Rossi, Superintendent of Police, in September 1833 (LTO Book F No 294) with frontage to new road in the Valley of Rushcutter (subsequently Glenmore Road). Wyoming at Gosford was also designed by verge for Hely, though it was not built until after Hely's death.

The kitchen and servant's wings, built roughly to an H-shaped plan, were under construction in 1834 and were occupied by Hely in 1835. The original wings of servant's offices. Kitchen and stables were connected to each other by a trellis screen and to the main house by a tunnel. Plans were made for screen and to the main house by a tunnel. Plans were made for a two storeyed house facing the service wings across a two storeyed house facing the service wings across a courtyard. By June 1836, it appears Hely had doubts about so grand a scheme, for Verge then designed a decorative pavilion with a pediment and balustrade roof line to site forward of the wings. Hely died in September 1836 and it is uncertain if Engehurst was ever completed to Verge's plans (AHC, 1980).

Hely died in 1836 prior to Engehurst's completion (LEP, 1995). The Sydney District Council Assessment Book D66 1843-46 describes Engehurst as '....a good large stone cottage with stables, gardener's house, out officers, garden, etc'.

The Hely family advertised the property in 1868 as including 'thirty-one splendid allotments, fourteen fronting Glenmore Road and seventeen from Hely Street. Engehurst was purchased by Ebenezer Vickery and immediately sold to John Elly Begg in 1868 (LTO Volume 73 February 1979).

Begg, a Paddington alderman, built the nearby mansion Olive Bank on the grounds of Engehurst in 1869 and the amassed land around the Engehurst property during the following decade. Begg's son purchased the mansion Juniper Hall in 1872. In 1878, John Begg subdivided his property and demolished most of Engehurst in order to create Begg Street (later Ormonde Street).

This street crossed the stables, kitchen and main residence. It is thought that stone form that demolished wings was used to build part of the first floor (ie, above the former kitchen wing, source D ). The servants' quarters were not affected by the street but were soon engulfed by new development in the late nineteenth century. The surviving portion of Engehurst, on a half acre property, remained as a single residence until, in the 1920s, the flanking apartment buildings were built and the original part divided into flats.

Max Kelly, in 'A Paddock Full of Houses', writes that there is some doubt if Engehurst was completed, however the description in the For Sale notice 18 March 1886 (R & W Contract Book 4539) is much the same as Verge intended and dimensions of rooms similar to those in Verge's drawings (AHC, 1980).

Begg was responsible for the subdivision of the three estates in 1878. Engehurst, with significantly reduced grounds, passed to Robert H Reynolds, J. P.

Reynolds resided here until 1914, at which time the property passed to accountant Phinechas Bear Selig. It appears Engehurst was converted to flats c.1922, initially named Silsoe Flats, and later Craigieburn Flats.

The building has associations with a number of prominent local identities in both social and political circles and as a reflection of the type of development which was common to the area in the early nineteenth century (LEP, 1995).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Sub-division of large estates-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages 19th century suburban developments-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Subdivision of urban estates-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Developing suburbia-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Francis Rossi, Superintendent of Police, 1825-34-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Frederick Augustus Hely, Principal Superintendent of Convicts, 1823-36-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with John Ely Begg, Woollahra Council Alderman-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Robert H.Reynolds JP-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Phinechas Bear Selig, accountant-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act Building and Garden Maintence


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(1) The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material;
(2) Garden maintenance including cultivation, pruning, weed control, the repair and maintenance of existing fences, gates and garden walls and tree surgery but not extensive lopping.
Jul 29 1988
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0057502 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0057529 Jul 88 123 
Local Environmental Plan 199510 Mar 95 0281354
National Trust of Australia register  7425   
Register of the National Estate 10025621 Oct 80   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenPollen, Frances (Author & editor)1988Paddington, in "The Book of Sydney Suburbs"

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045347
File number: S90/03189 & HC 33422


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.