Pallister | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Pallister

Item details

Name of item: Pallister
Other name/s: Standish, Greenwich Hospital
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Mansion
Location: Lat: -33.8277189418 Long: 151.1844379720
Primary address: 95 River Road, Greenwich, NSW 2065
Parish: Willoughby
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Lane Cove
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT4 DP584287
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
95 River RoadGreenwichLane CoveWilloughbyCumberlandPrimary Address
St Vincent's RoadGreenwichLane CoveWilloughbyCumberlandAlternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Anglican Church Property TrustReligious Organisation 

Statement of significance:

Pallister incorporates the late Victorian house known as Standish, which was built as a residence for John St Vincent Welch and his family in 1892, and is evidence of residential development and the suburbanisation of the Municipalities of Lane Cove, Willoughby and North Sydney. Standish is a rare example of a late Victorian Gentleman's residence within Greenwich. The house embodies the lifestyle and aspiration of Mr John St Vincent Welch and his family. It is the best surviving example of a late Victorian gentleman's villa and remnant garden setting, including a tear-drop shaped carriage loop in Greenwich. It is associated with John St Vincent Welch and his family. John St Vincent Welch was a prominent businessman, who served the insurance business and the general community on Sydney in a number of ways including: Alderman to Willoughby Council, one of the first aldermen to the Borough of Lane Cove, co-founder of the Sydney Liedertafel (Later called the Apollo Club), member of the Amateur Orchestra Society, trustee of the Art Gallery of New South Wales. The house was the childhood home of Dr Kenyon St Vincent Welch who was the first doctor appointed to the Flying Doctor Service. The buildings has been associated with the Anglican Deaconess Institute Sydney since 1946, and with a wide range of welfare and community activities, particularly in relation to adolescent girls and based on the vision and principles established by Miss Anna Pallister (CMP 2004).
Date significance updated: 26 May 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: Site:
Standish was set back from River Road facing south-east. IT looked back across bushland in the direction of Greenwich Road and from the southern side of the house had spectacular views across the Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers to the Blue Mountains. By 1894 the land in front of the house had been cleared and fenced and was being used as a paddock. The clay driveway with its entrance from River Road had a circular carriage loop in front of the house, and is shown in early images. The drive continued past the northern side of the houe and the kitchen wing, past the men's quarters and continued to the stables and garage area below. It then continued out onto River Road. The entrance had a large timber gateway for carriages and a smaller gate for pedestrians. There were timber fences to River Road and possibly along the eastern boundary as well. Below the driveway on the eastern side the land dropped away and contained caves and grottoes. By 1900 St. Vincent Welch had had an observatory built in the grounds, the telescope of which was brought out from England in 1860 to observe the transit of Venus (NBRS, 2004, 24).

Below the gardens on the southern side of the house, stone walls and paths meandered through the bushland. The steps that led down to the lower garden, tennis court and swimming pool were referred to as Tarpeian Way. The grass tennis court and swimming pool were constructed on the 8 lots fronting Gore Street, purchased in 1896. The pool, constructed some time before 1910, was carved into the sandstone shelf and lined with large sandstone blocks. Two more clay tennis courts were located adjacent to River Road (Noel Bell Ridley Smith & Partners, 24).

House:
Pallister is a two-storey Late Victorian house with substantial additions to the western side of the building dating from 1937-38 from when the house was adapted as a girl's school for the Church of England.

Both the original house and later additions are constructed of load-bearing brickwork. A two storey verandah wraps around the house on three sides with cast iron columns and balastrate panels. the main entrance is centrally located below a gable in the eastern facade, flanked by doors and windows on either side.

The main roof is slate with terra cotta hips and ridges. Later additions are generally roofed in terra cotta tiles.

The house interiors are substantially intact, albeit with a number of relatively minor changes and removal of original decorative finishes (Noel Bell Ridley Smith & Partners, 2004).
Current use: Hospital
Former use: Country residence, private girls' school, chilrdren's home

History

Historical notes: Originally named Standish, the villa was constructed in 1892 for John St Vincent Welch. Welch, born in Devonshire England in 1847, moved to Australia in 1876. He is alleged to have designed Standish himself, although the unusual features of the house, such as the stair hall and roof light, suggest an architect's involvement. Many materials are believed to have been selected during his family's visit to England including the mahogany for the grand stair, the Bangor roof slates, the marble fireplace in the drawing room, plus various pieces of furniture and paintings.

Standish was set back from River Road facing south-east. IT looked back across bushland in the direction of Greenwich Road and from the southern side of the house had spectacular views across the Lane Cove and Parramatta Rivers to the Blue Mountains. By 1894 the land in front of the house had been cleared and fenced and was being used as a paddock. The clay driveway with its entrance from River Road had a circular carriage loop in front of the house, and is shown in early images. The drive continued past the northern side of the houe and the kitchen wing, past the men's quarters and continued to the stables and garage area below. It then continued out onto River Road. The entrance had a large timber gateway for carriages and a smaller gate for pedestrians. There were timber fences to River Road and possibly along the eastern boundary as well. Below the driveway on the eastern side the land dropped away and contained caves and grottoes. By 1900 St. Vincent Welch had had an observatory built in the grounds, the telescope of which was brought out from England in 1860 to observe the transit of Venus (NBRS, 2004, 24).

Below the gardens on the southern side of the house, stone walls and paths meandered through the bushland. The steps that led down to the lower garden, tennis court and swimming pool were referred to as Tarpeian Way. The grass tennis court and swimming pool were constructed on the 8 lots fronting Gore Street, purchased in 1896. The pool, constructed some time before 1910, was carved into the sandstone shelf and lined with large sandstone blocks. Two more clay tennis courts were located adjacent to River Road (ibid, 24).

In 1937 the property was bought by the Sydney Church of England Grammar School for Girls (SCEGS) for the expansion of the school. An 1938 wing was constructed for class rooms designed by the architectural firm Adam, Wright and Apperly. In 1946 the property was acquired by the Church of England Deaconess' Institute as a girls home and renamed Pallister.

By the 1970s Greenwich Hospital had taken over a large part of the grounds, leaving Pallister with only three acres of land. The tennis and netball courts disappeared and by the late 1970s most of these areas had become lawn. In 1981 Pallister ceased to be occupied by the Department of Education Special School, thus ending its nearly 40-year period as a children's home.

From 1981 the house became part of the Greenwich Hospital serving various functions: an Adolescent Counselling Service, followed by a Health Media and Education Centre in the 1980s. It continues to house offices for various departments of the Greenwich Hospital complex.

In 2003 Hope Healthcare Pty Ltd commissioned a Conservation Management Plan for Pallister (Noel Bell Ridley Smith and Partners, 2004).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Health-Activities associated with preparing and providing medical assistance and/or promoting or maintaining the well being of humans Operating private and religious hospitals-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Gentlemens Mansions-
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. Private education-
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. Educating people in suburban locations-
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. apdated villa/ cottage for a school-
6. Educating-Educating Education-Activities associated with teaching and learning by children and adults, formally and informally. Private (religious) schooling-
7. Governing-Governing Welfare-Activities and process associated with the provision of social services by the state or philanthropic organisations Children in need-
7. Governing-Governing Welfare-Activities and process associated with the provision of social services by the state or philanthropic organisations Hospital/nursing home phase-
7. Governing-Governing Welfare-Activities and process associated with the provision of social services by the state or philanthropic organisations Providing a home for disadvantaged children-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship Gentlemen's Villas-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship Practising Anglicanism-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with John St. Vincent Welch, gentleman-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Adam, Wright and Apperly, architects-

Recommended management:

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Recommended ManagementReview a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) 
Recommended ManagementPrepare a maintenance schedule or guidelines 
Recommended ManagementCarry out interpretation, promotion and/or education 

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act general maintenance & garden maintenance


Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(1) The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material; and
(2) Garden maintenance including cultivation, pruning, weed control, the repair and maintenance of existing fences, gates and garden walls, new minor planting and also including tree surgery but not extensive lopping.
Jul 10 1987
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0057402 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0057413 May 88 852683
Local Environmental Plan  04 Aug 95   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenJKA (Jaime Kleinert Architects P/L)2011Heritage Impact Statement - Hammond Care, for Refurbishment Works and new Amenities to Pallister House, Sydney
WrittenJKA (Jaime Kleinert Architects P/L)2011Statement of Environmental Effects - Hammond Care - for Clinical Training Facility Upgrade to Pallister House, 95 River Road, Greenwich
WrittenNoel Bell Ridley Smith & Partners2004Pallister 95 Greenwich Road Greenwich NSW 2065 : conservation management plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045388
File number: & HC 870580


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.