St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church Group | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church Group

Item details

Name of item: St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church Group
Other name/s: St John's Anglican Church, Quambi, Saint John the Evangelist
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Religion
Category: Church
Location: Lat: -32.4052171008 Long: 151.9676174530
Primary address: Cowper Street, Stroud, NSW 2425
Parish: Stroud
County: Gloucester
Local govt. area: Great Lakes
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Karuah
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT91 DP584892
LOT92 DP584892
LOT63DP939759
LOT73DP939759
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Cowper StreetStroudGreat LakesStroudGloucesterPrimary Address
Main StreetStroudGreat LakesStroudGloucesterAlternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
remove St John the Evangelist's Anglican ChurchReligious Organisation29 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

The St John the Evangelist Church, Parsonage and Parish Hall form a highly significant group in every sense of the word. Historically, it is significant for its links to A.A. Co. and Sir William and Lady Parry, and subsequent A.A Company Commissioners. The role of the Parish Hall as a school provides links to early education systems in New South Wales. The Church has been credited as being "perhaps the finest and certainly the most intact Anglican Church in Australia which predates the influence of ecclesiology".

Together, the group forms an aesthetically significant group of Colonial Georgian Buildings which remain virtually unaltered since construction. Socially, the group continues to remain a focus of religious and community life in Stroud, a role served by each building from its moment of completion.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Physical description: The Church is a finely crafted and subdued example of early architecture that predates the influence of ecclesiology. Its design, although subdued reflects the religious philosophy of Parry and the governments attitude to Church construction at that time. Incredibly, few changes have been made to the building, and it remains to this day, essentially as it was designed and constructed in 1833.

Built in 1833 by Thomas Laman, the Church is Old Colonial Gothik (with an eighteenth century k) picturesque in style. It has an unscholarly application of medieval motifs upon a simple classical form, built in a traditional manner with construction techniques and materials typical of its period.

Externally the Church presents a simple yet eloquent façade. A small square bellcote on the ridge of the gabled roof marks the western façade. A centrally placed porch on the southern side and a vestry on the north have the effect of making the building symmetrical on its east and west axis. Both eastern and western facades originally contained gothic arched lancet windows with wooden Y tracery and a little quatrefoil cut into the space at the top of the Y. These simple pointed lancet windows are still symmetrically arranged on the facades. However, the most eastern windows on the northern and southern facades have since been replaced with new designs and stained glass as memorial windows.

The original furnishings of the interior are still in use to this day and are surprisingly still in good order for their age. Internally, the plaster barrel vault ceiling is crowned with a simple cornice with fluorescent lights concealed above the wooden architraves. The gallery located at the western end of the building and intended as a memorial pew is approached by steps from the nave and has rods for curtains. Balancing pulpits flank the semicircular-railed sanctuary against the eastern wall.

The internal joinery and fittings are of waxed local cedar, including the altar and seating in the form of benches with decorative shaped backs. The brick walls are plastered intern and in good condition. The doors are of uncommon design, yet all consist of six panels and many still have their original latches.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The condition of the built church is in very good physical condition due to its restoration in the early 1980's. However, some brickwork is deteriorating due to rising damp. Roof gutters, downpipes and drainage lines are in good condition and dispose of stormwater adequately.

The fine cedar joinery appears in excellent condition and the stain glass windows are in good order, although some of the more recent repairs to the windows could be considered inappropriate in that they obscure some of the glass.

Access to the roof was not gained and this should be inspected to ensure the structure is in a stable condition and no pest attack is occurring. The slate roof appears to suffer water ingress as a result of inadequate lap of the original slate installation. It is apparent that this problem is gradually worsening as slates slip and fixings fail, and there is immediate potential for water damage to interior fixtures and finishes, in particular the existing ceiling, if this problem is not immediately remediated. It is anticipated that relaying of the slates and rebedding and pointing of the ridge capping will be required to rectify this problem.

The effect of rising damp and deterioration of the brick surfaces near ground level should be regularly monitored over the next 12 months to establish whether the deterioration si continuing or whether it was halted by the 1983 restoration.
Former use: church

History

Historical notes: In 1824, London was in the midst of an enormous stock market boom. With Australian wool becoming increasingly important, two companies - the Australian Agricultural Company (AACo.) and the Van Diemen's Land Company - were floated on the London Stock Exchange to promote raising fine-wooled sheep in the Australian colonies. The AACo. became a major force in the Australian coal and pastoral industries and in the settlement and development of the Hunter River and Port Stephens regions. Today, listed on the Australian Stock Exchange, it is the oldest Australian company operating under its original name.

Founded by a special Act of Parliament and under Royal Charter, it acquired the right to hold and sell land in New South Wales. Its founding members were a group of British bankers, merchants and politicians who saw the potential for big profits to be made in the colony.

The terms of the charter were that most of the labour would be provided by convicts under the supervision of superintendents, overseers and skilled mechanics sent from England. If, at the end of 15 years, the company had expended 10,000 pounds on improvements and employed 1400 convicts, it would obtain freehold title to its land. The size of the land grant was not specified in the charter, but discussions between the company directors and the Colonial Office settled on one million acres.

The company appointed a chief agent, Robert Dawson and a Colonial Committee to assist him. This eventually included just three people - James Macarthur (fourth son of John Macarthur), his cousin Hannibal Macarthur and his brother-in-law, Principal Surgeon, James Bowman. The committee took a four year lease of 'The Retreat' (later 'Kelvin') at Bringelly near Camden for the immediate accommodation of imported stock, and sought advice on the best location for the land grant.

In June 1825 Dawson sailed from the Isle of Wight with 27 employees and their wives and families, 800 French and Anglo merino sheep, 8 cattle and 6 horses. They were followed a few weeks later by an overseer, 6 shepherds and a further 79 French merinos.

In January 1826, when people and stock were settled, Dawson sailed to Newcastle with a small party on the "Liverpool Packet" and from there, they travelled across country to inspect Port Stephens, an area which, of all those suggested, had the great advantage of access by water.

On the northern shore of Port Stephens, Dawson noticed land which seemed ideal. About 800 acres were suitable for growing corn, while the surrounding hills provided good sheep grazing country, with plenty of fresh water and lime (oyster shells) for building, all situated on a magnificent harbour.

Dawson hurried back to Sydney, determined to take the whole million-acre grant between Port Stephens and the Manning River (named for the AACo.'s deputy governor, William Manning).

Initially known to Europeans by its Aboriginal name, Carrabean, the settlement at Port Stephens was renamed after the banking peer, Lord Carrington, brother of the company's first governor.

Over the next two years, Dawson explored the estate, naming many features after the company's directors or places of fine wool production in England. The village at No.2 Farm took its name, Stroud, from the Gloucestershire town renowned for its manufacture of scarlet cloth; the Barrington River (and Barrington Tops) in honour of Dawson's previous employer, Lord Barrington.

By the end of 1826 a chain of company sheep stations stretched from Carrington in the south to the Gloucester River in the north. Dawson had purchased flocks of colonial ewes and overseen the first shearing, dispatching the wool to England. He had also made arrangements to survey the entire land grant (Pemberton, 2009, 56-7).

All appeared to be going well but difficulties gradually arose between Dawson and the Colonial Committee which led to Dawson's dismissal in April 1828. John Macarthur took over for a few months before abruptly returning to Sydney, leaving everything in the capable but inexperienced young accountant, Edward Ebsworth.

Meanwhile in London, the Colonial Office had approached the directors with a proposal that the company should take over the coal mining operations at Newcastle and, after lengthy discussions, the company agreed. John Henderson was appointed colliery manager and arrived in Australia in January 1827 with mechanics, labourers and equipment, 230 sheep and 3 horses. He spent nearly a year prospecting for coal around Newcastle, at Port Stephens and along the Parramatta River, concluding that without the Newcastle coalfield, the company had no mining prospects, but Governor Darling was loathe to give it up.

Dawson's dismissal, Henderson's return to England and rumours that the Port Stephens estate in its entirety was unsuitable for their purposes all came as a shock to the directors. As far as the coal venture was concerned, they were prepared to abandon the project provided the Colonial Office paid compensation. After much negotiation, however, it was agreed in June 1828 that the Governor would be instructed to hand over the coalfields, together with a land grant at Newcastle, and that Henderson would return to the colony as colliery manager. By way of compensation the company was granted a 32 year monopoly on coal mining in New South Wales.

At this point the directors decided to dispense with the Colonial Committee and send out a commissioner to manage their affairs. Early in 1829 they appointed Captain Edward Parry RN, Hydrographer Royal who, along with John Franklin, had recently been knighted for services to Arctic exploration in their search for the North West Passage. Sir Edward and Lady Parry sailed in the "William", reaching Sydney two days before Christmas 1829.

Parry set about restoring order at the neglected Port Stephens settlement and assessing the estate there and a possible exchange of land. The next two years were taken up with exploration to the north and west beyond the Dividing Range. In February 1831 Parry visited Governor Darling to negotiate the exchange of the north-eastern part of the Port Stephens estate (north from Bulahdelah) for two blocks of roughly 250,000 acres each - one on the Liverpool Plains (Warrah) and the other on the Peel River (Goonoo Goonoo).

When Parry left after his four year term, both pastoral and mining operations were well established. Port Stephens was occupied by a chain of sheep stations and the cattle were settled on the Bowman run west of Gloucester. After a first lambing in 1832 Warrah was temporarily abandoned and the sheep moved to the Peel River where a head station was set up at Calala near the river crossing (now Tamworth). The mine at Newcastle was running smoothly. The only major and continuing difficulty was the battle to obtain sufficient convict labour.

In March 1834 Captain Henry Dumaresq took over from Parry. For the most part the company prospered and in August 1834 the directors were able to announce their first dividend of ten shillings per share.

A track was built over the Dividing Range from Gloucester to Tamworth so that in dry years sheep could be walked from the Peel Estate to Port Stephens for washing and shearing. The head station at the Peel was moved from Calala to Goonoo Goonoo, away from the ever-increasing numbers of often-scabby flocks travelling north to New England and the Darling Downs. By 1849 sheep numbers had reached 85,000.

Warrah was developed for fattening cattle bred at Gloucester and horses were bred as remounts for the Indian army. The company no longer needed to purchase stock - rather its annual sales at Sydney and Maitland were an increasing success. At Newcastle a second pit had been put down and annual coal sales reached a value of 10,500 pounds a year.

However with the end of convict transportation, labour problems became acute and constant requests were made to London for shepherds and coal miners.

Dumaresq died suddenly in March 1838 and the directors appointed Captain Phillip Parker King (son of Governor Philip Gidley King) in his place. King came to office just as the depression, triggered in part by the collapse of the London wool market in 1836, began to bite. This was also a time of drought, followed by major floods.

An attempt to introduce 100 young Irish labourers in 1840/1 to relieve the labour shortage ended badly. Only a third actually reached Port Stephens and all refused to shepherd, being unaccustomed to such work and terrified of being lost in the bush.

Other smaller groups of shepherds, labourers and miners sent out from Britain were more successful. The company's agent took to meeting emigrant ships in Sydney and recruited several newly arrived families who settled in Port Stephens. By the end of the 1840s, of the 326 men employed in the company's pastoral operations, none were convicts and only 33 were ticket-of-leave men. By 1849 all 89 miners at the colliery were free men.

During King's term as commissioner, there were constant agitations against the company's coal monopoly. Various prospecting groups proposed coal mines at Westernport in Victoria, the Illawarra in Sydney and at Moreton Bay. Closer to Newcastle were the Ebenezer mine at Lake Macquarie, works near Maitland, at Four Mile near Hexham and a proposal to mine coal at Burwood on the company's southern boundary.

King appealed for support against this opposition, both to the NSW Government and to the directors who approached the Colonial Office. At this point the question of the monopoly became entangled with the company's efforts to obtain its title deeds.

At no time had the numbers of convicts actually assigned to the company come anywhere near the numbers envisaged in the charter so that at best, it seemed that the company would be able to redeem only 300,000 of its one million acres.

In London it was decided that, as the convict situation in NSW was now so different, an amending Act of Parliament was needed to free the company's pastoral lands from the restriction of the charter. The new Act received Royal assent on 7/8/1846.

There now remained the question of the coal lands at Newcastle. Here it was agreed that, while the company had kept its side of the bargain, raising more than 3000 tons of coal annually, the NSW Government had not, neither supplying convict labour as agreed nor defending the company's position. Consequently in return for an early end to its coal mining monopoly, the company received its freehold title at Newcastle.

Anticipating a tide of emigration to NSW, the directors planned to sell part of the land. King recommended that the Liverpool Plains Grant should be sold in five sections, followed by the Peel Grant and the Port Stephens Grant, in three sections each. If the large blocks could not be sold, each section should be sold in lots by auction with the reserve price not more than that of the Government - five shillings an acre. Port Stephens, he added, was not generally suited for small-scale agriculture.

This was a shock. The directors had not contemplated a complete sale of their land and stock, and they would be embarrassed to tell shareholders that, after 25 years, they were unlikely to recover their capital. In February 1849 King was called to London to discuss the matter.

Meanwhile the directors were negotiating with James Ralfe, formerly a government surveyor familiar with the Port Stephens area. Ralfe had recommended a private emigration scheme offering homestead lots for selection. A prospectus for 'The Port Stephens Colony' appeared in January 1849: the land would be sold at the fixed price of one pound per acre in lots of not less than 200 (later reduced to 50) acres with reasonable water frontage and the right to depasture stock on company land. The company would charter a ship direct for Port Stephens with free passage for those who paid for their land in London.

On arrival in London, King took a dim view of Ralfe's plan. Only a few isolated spots in Port Stephens were suitable for settlers and their activities would be ruinous for any continuing pastoral operations there. Despite King's objections, the directors were persuaded by Ralfe's enthusiasm, appointing him as agent and surveyor to go out with the settlers on the chartered "Artemesia". As it turned out, only 8 colonists signed up and embarked with their families and just 24 selection certificates were issued.

Local auction sales of lots were more successful and half-acre town lots and a few farms were sold in south Tamworth, at Carrington and around Stroud. In these drastically changed circumstances, the directors decided to replace the commissioner with a less well-paid general superintendent, combine management positions and halve the number of overseers.

Then in March 1852, Thomas Renwick and Thomas Laurie, sons of long-time company employees, and both just returned from the Californian gold fields, found gold on the banks of the Peel River. In London the company's share price soared from 15 pounds to 350 pounds in a few weeks before dropping back to 280. Unable to work gold under their charter, the directors formed the Peel River Land & Mineral Company to purchase and work the Peel Estate (Goonoo Goonoo).

The Peel Company, with King as general superintendent, would raise sheep and some cattle, and lease its goldfield to the Cordillera Mining Company, which would dispatch miners and machinery from England.

The venture was a disaster. The "Tory" carrying the expedition was wrecked at Anna Bay, south of Port Stephens. All but one of the people were saved, but the machinery was lost. Other attempts to work minerals were equally unsuccessful.

The AACo. retained Port Stephens, Warrah and the coalmines at Newcastle. Although the fine wool produced at Port Stephens brought excellent prices on the London market, all was not well with the sheep. At Port Stephens mortality figures rose and lambing percentages fell, while sheep from the same flocks thrived on the Peel Estate.

In 1854 the directors decided to sell all the Port Stephens sheep, and by 1856 they were gone. Cattle breeding continued at Port Stephens and land sales were promoted around Stroud.(Pemberton, 2009, 57-60).

The AACo. headquarters was moved to Stroud in 1853 and the Estate was sold.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Clearing land for farming-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Ancillary structures - wells, cisterns-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Associations with the Australian Agricultural Company, estd.1824-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Religion-Activities associated with particular systems of faith and worship Practising Anglicanism-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The St Johns group of buildings in Stroud is historically significant for its close associations to the Australian Agricultural Company and its place in the establishment of the town of Stroud. The group remain an integral and undiminished assembly of buildings, which in their context reveal an important historical phase in the pattern of development in New South Wales.

Stroud was established by the Australian Agricultural Company on its one million acre grant in the Port Stephens area. Dating from the earliest days of settlement in the Port Stephens are, this unique group of buildings were an early part of the Australian Agricultural Company's rural empire. The buildings are remnants from the early settlement of the town by the AA Company.

The buildings were built during the convict period and there is no doubt that the AA Company had a large contingent of convicts working on their Port Stephens property (of which Stroud was a part) and therefore it is most likely that there was convict labour used in the construction. However, there is no historical evidence to prove this. Although the poor construction of the Western door of the church may suggest unskilled convict labour was used in its construction.

The Buildings including the cemetery and surrounding landscape provide a tangible record of the local district history over more than a century. There continuing social value for the contemporary community is reflected both in the support and attention the community has for this site. The cemetery expresses, via its memorials, the major phases in the district's history, in particular the success of pastoral activity. The cemetery has been valued over time by the local community for its memorials, associations and, by the state of its present maintenance, is valued still as one of the important links with the early formation of the Australian Agricultural Company.

The buildings and landscape are a reflection of the continuity and development of Anglican worship in the Stroud district. The church is the oldest operational church in NSW. The precinct has been a strong focus for the religious community since the early nineteenth century and retains a high level of social significance for the parishioners. The Church group contributes more broadly to the historical precinct of Stroud.

The St Johns group is therefore significant at a State level for the process of growth and development they represent in relation to the A.A Company as a reminder of the most important agricultural activities in Australia's early history, the township of Stroud; and the Anglican religion.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
St Johns Stroud Group holds significant importance for its association with the Australian Agricultural Company, and it Super Intendants, especially that of Parry.

Sir W.E. Parry before serving as a commissioner at Port Stephens from 1829-1834 was a former Royal Navy Hydrographer and acclaimed Arctic explorer Captain held in high regard for his contribution to the development of Stroud and in particular the development of religious worship within the community. Parry was one of the more significant figures in early Australian history.

The site is locally significant for the association with the clergy and the priests and pastors that have served there. Furthermore there is a important link between the Anglican community and Church of England.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The St. John's Group of buildings, Stroud has a very high degree of aesthetic appeal. They are a distinctive and attractive group of Colonial Georgian sandstock brick buildings, dating from 1830. They are representative of the colonial character and the style of buildings constructed at that time.

Together the buildings form a cohesive group of Colonial Georgian buildings that are aesthetically significant, remaining virtually unaltered since their construction. The decorative detail of the church furnishings are significant for their creative styling and design. Furthermore, they are still in use today and in good working condition.

The barrel vaulted elliptical church roof is technically interesting for its period.

Whilst the vast majority of cemetery monuments remain in relatively good condition today, there are some headstones which have not been replaced after either being vandalised or simply deteriorated from age. However, they demonstrate a remarkable range of high quality workmanship and skilled installation techniques. These fine examples of craftsmanship are enhanced by the use of sandstone and occasional white marble and the setting of the cemetery.

The cultural plantings and garden beds associated with the rectory are somewhat earlier developments. However, they have incorporated some early plant material and now play a significant role in the aesthetics of the St John's group.

The setting and surrounding landscape of Stroud has been virtually undeveloped and as such retains much of its original beauty.

In terms of architectural characteristics, the St Johns group of buildings, landscapes and cemetery stands on its own merits as having aesthetic significance at a state level.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
From the beginning of European settlement in New South Wales, the role of the Church of England was closely tied to the interests of the state. Consequently organised religion held an important place in early settlement of Stroud, being nurtured, if not perhaps enforced by the Australian Agricultural Company Superintendents. Therefore, religious worship has been an important element of the social fabric of Stroud, since its development.

St John's Stroud Group stands as a reminder both of the churches role in convict society and of Parry's commitment to evangelicalism. St John's Stroud group is of spiritual significance to the evangelical community. The group of building's have contributed to the spiritual and cultural life of the Stroud community for over 170 years, serving as the centre of local Anglican worship and social activity.

Stroud has seen the rise and decline of many local community groups typical of rural towns. The St John's Church Hall has played a pivotal role in providing a place for community groups since it was built until this day.

The Buildings including the cemetery and surrounding landscape provide a tangible record of the local history over more than a century. In particular, the cemetery expresses, via its monuments, the major phases in the districts history, in particular the success of pastoral activity.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The Buildings including the cemetery and surrounding landscape provide a tangible record of the local district history over more than a century. These buildings are the oldest of their type still in use and therefore have some potential to reveal information that will contribute both to the cultural and natural history of NSW and more significantly the local history of Stroud.

These buildings have formed an integral part of the tangible history of the Stroud community, for over 170 years including its built fabric, social, cultural and spiritual development. The linkages with Australian Agricultural Company provide information about early settlement, the social structures and furthermore the development of NSW.

The significant fabric of the buildings and landscape has the potential to reveal information about the type and style of construction techniques of the 1800's. For example, the originality of design and furnishings within the Church reflect the type of building construction and design of their period.

In terms of archaeological potential, the St John's cemetery with inscriptions, dating from 1836 has the potential to reveal information of the hardships of life in an early colonial village. Being a small rural cemetery with a good range of monumental styles spanning two centuries, this site reveals the style and type of burials undertaken in the early and late 19th Century.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
By virtue of their age and condition the St John's Group has the potential to reveal historical information about early settlement in NSW. In particular, the Church reflects the governments attitude to Church construction at that time.

Finally, the buildings have an interesting history that is interwoven with the history of the Australian Agricultural Company. Examination of that history gives a unique insight into the minds of those who first settled NSW. In particular the concepts of religious worship and its important place in the early communities of NSW.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
St John's Stroud group is a considerably significant heritage item that is representative of the relationship between the buildings in terms of Church- School- Parsonage. Even despite the fact that this relationship is common place, Stroud group is an original example of that relationship where many other of its type may have been destroyed or altered by progress over time.

Representative of the Church's role in early settlement and in particular in the convict society and of Parry's commitment to evangelicalism.

The group as part of the township of Stroud provides evidence of early town layouts, where the street grid is arranged around earlier adhoc developments, and where it as predominantly in the hands of a single entity - the Australian Agricultural Company.

(Conservation Management Plan - Hedley et al, 2002)
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementCMP for St John's Church Group Stroud Jun 27 2003
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0033002 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0033023 Nov 84 163 
Regional Environmental PlanHunter REP 1989 03 Nov 89   
Local Environmental Plan  19 Nov 99 13010774
Register of the National Estate  21 Mar 78   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Management Plan (HC endorsed)EJE Town Planning - Hedley, S, Melville, R, Joyce, M & Collins, B (2002)2002Conservation Management Plan: St Johns Church Group of Buildings Cowper Street Stroud
WrittenPemberton, Pennie, Dr.2009The Australian Agricultural Company: Pioneer of Wealth

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045421
File number: S90/05345,S91/01322,HC 32888


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.