CBC Bank | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

CBC Bank

Item details

Name of item: CBC Bank
Other name/s: Old CBC Bank
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Commercial
Category: Bank
Location: Lat: -34.0685245071 Long: 150.8120062770
Primary address: 263 Queen Street, Campbelltown, NSW 2560
Parish: St Peter
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Campbelltown
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Tharawal
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
   CP/SP41598
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
263 Queen StreetCampbelltownCampbelltown St PeterCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
89 Tan Pty Ltd As Trustee for 889Private 

Statement of significance:

The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney set up its first Campbelltown office in McGuannes House in 1874 and moved into its own premises at 263 Queen Street, in 1881. The Italianate style building was designed by Victoria's Mansfield Brothers, the architects responsible for a number of the bank's projects.

The bank complements the old Post Office next door in period, scale and style and together these make an important contribution to this area of Queen Street (Branch Manager's Report, 1985 & press release, Michael Knight, MLA for Campbelltown, 19/4/1985).
Date significance updated: 26 Oct 11
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Mansfield Brothers
Construction years: 1874-1881
Physical description: Site:
There is a large yard behind the bank which contains an 1874 stable/ coach house, now used as a garage. (Branch Manager's Report, 100/85, 26/3/1985).

Bank:
A fine and restrainedVictorian Italianate style rendered and painted building symmetrically designed about a small portico. The banking chamber has been altered, but it is understood that the building still contains a stone domed vault, and the original staircase and other joinery (ibid, 1985).

C-shaped building around a courtyard.

It includes a stone-domed bank vault.

1960s commercial building towards the rear of the site.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The banking chamber has been altered, but it is understood that the building still contains a stone domed vault, and the original staircase and other joinery. There is a large yard behind the bank which contains a stable/coach house, now used as a garage. (Branch Manager's report, 100/85, 26/3/1985).
Date condition updated:08 Jul 08
Modifications and dates: 1950s - extension on the north side to the rear, alteration with parapet walls to the existing string course level and fenestration in keeping with the old building's style.
1960s - newer commercial building built to the rear of the site - there is no physical connection between the buildings.

1985 - The banking chamber has been altered (original bank fittings removed), but it is understood that the building still contains a stone domed vault, and the original staircase and other joinery. There is a large yard behind the bank which contains a stable/ coach house, now used as a garage. (Branch Manager's report, 100/85, 26/3/1985).
1985 - approval for internal modifications being removal of some existing walls, reuse of existing cedar joinery with additions to match, restoration of a magnificent plaster ceiling, over the former banking chamber.

1992 - major redevelopment in the former rear yard. 1874 Stables/coach house was demolished after being archivally recorded.
Current use: Medical Centre
Former use: Aboriginal land, farm, bank; restaurant (downstairs); offices (upstairs)

History

Historical notes: Permanent European settlement in the Campbelltown area had begun in 1809 as an alternative to the flood-prone Hawkesbury district. Work on a road from Sydney to Liverpool was started in 1811. It was opened in August 1814 and was soon extended further south to Appin. This road, variously known as Campbelltown Road, Appin Road or the Sydney Road, passed through Campbelltown. The section through the town was called the High Street until the last decade of the 19th century when it was renamed Queen Street (Orwell & Peter Phillips, 1995, vol.2, 1-2).

The land on which the Queen Street cottages stand was part of a grant of 140 acres to Joseph Phelps in 1816. He had been working the land for some years before receiving formal title to it. Phelps was one of the farmers of Airds and Appin who subscribed funds for a Sydney courthouse in July 1813. His grant was seized, possibly as soon as it was formally issued, by the Provost Marshal, William Gore in lieu of payment by Phelps of debts totalling 170 pounds. The land was auctioned in January 1817 to William Bradbury for 100 pounds plus twelve cattle and the grain produced from the crop growing on the land (ibid, 1995).

Immediately north of Phelps' grant, Assistant Surveyor James Meehan had informally reserved 175 acres for a village (AMCG, 1994 say 'in 1815'.) In 1816 most of the land in the area was granted, leaving a portion of 175 acres unalienated, and surrounded by several grants (AMCG, 1994, 9).

The reserved land was formally declared a town by Governor Macquarie in December 1820 and named Campbelltown in honour of his wife (Elizabeth)'s family (ibid, 1995).

William Bradbury (1774-1836) a native of Birmingham, was transported to NSW aboard the 'Guildford' in 1812. His wife Elizabeth remained in England but his daughter, Mary (1797-1852) followed her father to Australia in 1815. Bradbury had no other children in NSW, though he established a relationship with a woman named Alice and in April 1836 married a Campbelltown widow, Catherine Patrick, nee Acres (c.1801-1883). Bradbury died two months later (ibid, 1995, 2).

Governor Macquarie visited Campbelltown in January 1822. He and his party ate a 'hearty' breakfast at 'Bradbury's', indicating that Bradbury had built an inn. This was probably the inn later known as the Royal Oak, on the western side of the High Street. Macquarie noted in his journal that 'Bradbury is building a very good two storey brick house on his own farm and on a very pretty eminence immediately adjoining Campbell-Town as an inn for the accommodation fo the public, and having asked me to give his farm a name, I have called it Bradbury Park. In 1826 Bradbury Park House was considered by William Dumaresq, inspector of roads and bridges, as the best building in Campbelltown when he reported on buildings suitable for military use (ibid, 1995, 2).

As the main street of Campbelltown, High Street or Sydney Road and later Queen Street, was at the edge of town, one side of the street was not within the town boundary while the other was. Canny traders soon realised that either side of the main road was as good as the other and leased or bought land from the grantees bordering the town proper. By the 1840s more than a few shops and hotels occupied the western side of the High Street. The coming of the railway in 1858 also aided in securing the commercial focus of the town on Queen Street (AMCG, 1994, 9).

The Queen Street terraces were identified by Helen Baker (Proudfoot) in the early 1960s as a unique group of two-storey late Georgian vernacular buildings which were considered to form the only surviving late-1840s streetscape within the County of Cumberland. The buildings were acquired by the Cumberland County Council and its successors, the State Planning Authority and Department of Planning, to ensure their preservation (ibid, 1995, 1).

CBC Bank:
Joseph Phelps was granted 140 acres adjoining the future site of Campbelltown in 1816. His was one of a group of the first grants made that year. The subject property (the future 263 Queen Street) represents a small portion of the original grant. Phelps did not develop the portion of the grant that is the subject of this study. In fact no plan shows any development before 1881 (AMCG, 1994, 9).

Phelps increased his holdings to 170 acres in 1817, and that year conveyed the larger property to Thomas Clarkson. It passed through several hands up to 1870, however it appears was not developed in any way. It was presumably used for agricultural purposes (ibid, 1994, 14).

Samuel Parker, blacksmith, bought the subject property as part of a larger parcel in 1870 from Charles Morris. Parker owned the adjoining property (south side) and appears to have worked and resided on the property. What use, if any, he made of the subject site is unclear (Parker's house can be seen to the left of the bank in an 1881-83 photograph)(ibid, 1994, 14).

The Commercial Banking Company:
The Commercial Banking Company (CBC) of Sydney opened its first Campbelltown office in leased premises, McGuannes House at 286 Queen Street (across the road from no. 263) in 1874, with George L.Jones as manager. McGuannes House is separately listed on the State Heritage Register. It is owned by the Department of Environment & Planning and is at present leased as a doctor's surgery (Branch Manager's report, 100/85, 26/3/1985). AMCG (1994, 14) states that CBC bought the property (263 Queen St.) from Samuel Parker (not Morris) in 1876 and had the present building built in 1881. AMCG states that the bank's first permanent manager from 1874 was A.J.Gore, who served until he retired in 1904 (ibid, 14).

The bank moved into its own premises at 263 Queen Street in 1881. This building (built between 1874 and 1881) was designed by the Mansfield Brothers who were important Victorian architects employed by the CBC Bank on a number of projects (Branch Manager's report, 100/85, 26/3/1985) designing many bank chambers, examples surviving in many country towns (ibid, 1994, 14). It is a fine and restrained Italianate style rendered and painted building symmetrically designed about a small portico (Branch Manager's report, 100/85, 26/3/1985).

The bank sold a portion of the land it bought from Parker in 1880. The land was purchased in the name of the Queen for a new post office. That building was completed the same year as the CBC chambers (AMCG, 1994, 14).

In 1959 the bank sold off another portion of its 1876 purchase to the Commowealth of Australia, presumably for the creation of a telephone exchange (AMCG, 1994, 14).

The banking chamber has been altered, but it is understood that the building still contains a stone domed vault, and the original staircase and other joinery. There is a large yard behind the bank which contains a stable/ coach house, now used as a garage (Branch Manager's report, 100/85, 26/3/1985).

The CBC sold the bank chambers and property at 263 Queen Street in 1986, moving to new premises (as the National Australia Bank). In recent times the former bank building at 263 Queen Street has been leased by a Pancake restaurant and is today (1994) used as the offices for a local newspaper (AMCG, 1994, 19).

In 2018 a proposal to demolish the 1960s commercial building behind the bank and build a 21 storey commercial tower, was refused by teh Western Sydney Planning Panel, after a report from the NSW Heritage Council identified a risk that excavation for the proposed car-parking as part of the building's construction would damage the historic CBC bank building and labelled the proposal as overdevelopment of the site, breaching the CBD's 32m height limit (Zautsen, 2018, 5).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
1. Environment-Tracing the evolution of a continent's special environments Environment - naturally evolved-Activities associated with the physical surroundings that support human life and influence or shape human cultures. Cultural: Plains and plateaux supporting human activities-
1. Environment-Tracing the evolution of a continent's special environments Environment - naturally evolved-Activities associated with the physical surroundings that support human life and influence or shape human cultures. Changing the environment-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services Banking-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Building settlements, towns and cities-National Theme 4
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Adapted heritage building or structure-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Bank residence-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Early land grants-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Demonstrating Governor Macquarie's town and landscape planning-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Suburban Centres-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Changing land uses - from rural to suburban-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages 19th century suburban developments-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Developing suburbia-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act

Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(1) The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material; and
(2) Garden maintenance including cultivation pruning and tree surgery, but not including extensive lopping, weed control, the repair and maintenance of existing fences, gates and garden walls.
(3) Changes of use; and
(4) Maintenance and repairs to existing access roads, footpaths and outside lighting.
May 1 1987
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions ORDER UNDER SECTION 57(2) OF THE HERITAGE ACT 1977

Standard exemptions for engaging in or carrying out activities / works otherwise prohibited by section 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977.

I, Donald Harwin, the Special Minister of State pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales do by this Order, effective 1 December 2020:

1. revoke the order made on 11 July 2008 and published on pages 91177 to 9182 of Government Gazette Number 110 of 5 September 2008 and varied by notice published in the Government Gazette on 5 March 2015; and

2. grant the exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 that are described in the attached Schedule.

Donald Harwin
Special Minister of State
Signed this 9th Day of November 2020.

To view the standard exemptions for engaging in or carrying out activities / works otherwise prohibited by section 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977 click on the link below.
Nov 13 2020

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0049902 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0049901 May 87 752242
Local Environmental PlanCommercial Bank of Sydney (former)I0049911 Mar 16   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Tourism 2007Campbelltown Heritage Walk View detail
TourismAttraction Homepage2007Campbelltown Heritage Walk View detail
WrittenCarney, Martin & Dana Mider; Archaeological Management & Consulting Group Pty Ltd. Title: Archaeological assessment of the property located at 263 Queen Street, Campbelltown / Martin Carney & Dana Mider. Date: .1994Archaeological assessment of the property located at 263 Queen Street, Campbelltown
WrittenMichael Knight, MLA for Campbelltown1985Heritage Protection for Campbelltown Bank, (press release)
WrittenOrwell & Peter Phillips1990Outline conservation plan for the Queen Street historic precinct, Campbelltown
WrittenOrwell & Peter Phillips Architects1995Conservation Management Plan - 288-294 Queen Street, Campbelltown
WrittenZautsen, Daniel2018'High-rise in heritage heart of city rejected'

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage NSW
Database number: 5045430
File number: EF14/4520; S90/3118; HC 33294


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.