Bundarra Police Station & Courthouse | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Bundarra Police Station & Courthouse

Item details

Name of item: Bundarra Police Station & Courthouse
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Law Enforcement
Category: Courthouse
Location: Lat: -30.1716309725 Long: 151.0753837000
Primary address: Oliver Street, Bundarra, NSW 2359
Parish: Bundarra
County: Hardinge
Local govt. area: Uralla
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Anaiwan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT166DP758181
LOT766DP758181
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Oliver StreetBundarraUrallaBundarraHardingePrimary Address
Bendemeer StreetBundarraUrallaBundarraHardingeAlternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Bundarra Community Purposes Reserve TrustCommunity Group 

Statement of significance:

The former Bundarra Police Station-Court House is significant because the building embodies the establishment, growth and evolution of one of the major influential public departments of NSW. The responsibilities and duties of this Department were of fundamental importance to the development of law enforcement after the introduction of the Police Regulation Act of 1862 NSW. The former Bundarra Police Station Court House has close associations with the development of the Region as a centre for Law Administration. The building also has close association with the Colonial Architect's Office and may be used to demonstrate the design philosophy of that Office in rural regions. The former Bundarra Police Station-Court House is a particularly well-known urban landmark in the town of Bundarra and makes a major contribution to the streetscape qualities of the Bendemeer and Oliver Streets Precinct. The quality of workmanship and the unique use of elements in this building has produced a pleasing and esteemed visual aesthetic. The building is a rare and unusual example of a `modified Victorian Georgian' style reminiscent of the earliest Australian buildings idioms into a system based on a utilitarian scale and use. The quality of the design, including its proportions, details and character are of a high standard. The inclusion of the former Bundarra Police Station-Court House on a number of Federal and local heritage registers underscores its widespread importance as an item of cultural heritage to the local and wider community. This importance is further demonstrated by the efforts of the Bundarra community and the Shire Council to development the `place' as a cultural tourist attraction demonstrating the importance of early Bundarra as a service centre and in law administration in this part of New South Wales.
Date significance updated: 19 Sep 03
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: James Barnet
Builder/Maker: Alfred Dorrey
Construction years: 1869-1870
Physical description: The building is a single-storey brick building (in English bond brick) built in 1870 (with various alterations in 1883, 1889, 1901 and 1938) with timber floors and timber framed corrugated galvanised iron sheeted roof. Internal walls are plaster or timber boarding generally. From the spacing of the roof battens it appears the roof sheeting was originally slates. The building contains 16 rooms (including the Court Room and two cells) and two verandahs, and is built on a slightly elevated site above the main road through Bundarra (Uralla- Inverell Road).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building is in generally fair to good condition structurally, but the interior has been renovated since 1987.
Date condition updated:08 May 17

History

Historical notes: The site for a Court House at Bundarra was fixed on the 11 August, 1855, and tenders called on 22 February, 1869 for the erection of a Court House and Watch House evidently in one combined building. On 9 April, 1869, it was notified that Alfred Dorrey was the successful tenderer for its construction to the design of James Barnet, the Colonial Architect, and the building was completed in 1870 at the cost of 870 pounds (original estimate 900 pounds) .The furniture cost 33 pound 14 shillings and 7 pence. Additions were recorded that year. Barnet had further alterations made to the Court House in 1883, tenders being called on the 14 November, 1882, with G. Ross being given as the successful tenderer on 29 January 1883. More additions became necessary and a local man G.E.Henry of Bundarra was shown on 25 September, 1899, as the contractor the work on both the Court House and Watch House section which was under the direction of the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon who had succeeded Barnet in 1890. Vernon then had further additions to both parts of the building carried out in 1901 by William S. Mead and Company of Annandale, whose tender was given as accepted on the 29 July, 1901. More recently 1938, a timber verandah addition was made on the north west corner of the Police residence section under a former Government Architect, Mr. Cobden Parkes. It would appear that a substantial part of the building dates from 1870 though the alterations and additions over the years evidently changed the internal planning thus the attached plan shows the relocation of the barrack room from the south side of the north west.

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The former Bundarra Police Station-Court House embodies the establishment, growth and evolution of one of the major influential public departments of NSW. The responsibilities and duties of this Department were of fundamental importance to the development of law enforcement after the introduction of the Police Regulation Act of 1862 NSW. The former Bundarra Police Station -Court House has close associations with the development of the Region as a centre for Law Administration.
The building also has close association with the Colony Architects Office and may be used to demonstrate the design philosophy of that Office in rural regions.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The former Bundarra Police Station-Court House is a particularly well-known urban landmark in the town of Bundarra and makes a major contribution to the streetscape qualities of the Bendemeer and Oliver Streets Precinct.
The quality of workmanship and the unique use of elements in this building has produced a pleasing and esteemed visual aesthetic. The building is a rare and unusual example of a `modified Victorian Georgian’ style reminiscent of the earliest Australian buildings idioms into a system based on a utilitarian scale and use. The quality of the design, including its proportions, details and character are of a high standard.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The inclusion of the former Bundarra Police Station-Court House on a number of Federal and local heritage registers underscores its widespread importance as an item of “cultural heritage” to the local and wider community. This importance is further demonstrated by the efforts of the Bundarra community and the Shire Council to development the `place’ as a cultural tourist attraction demonstrating the importance of early Bundarra as a service centre and in law administration in this part of New South Wales.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Recommended ManagementProduce a Conservation Management Plan (CMP) 
Recommended ManagementPrepare a maintenance schedule or guidelines 
Recommended ManagementCarry out interpretation, promotion and/or education 

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for commentBundarra Courthouse CMP CMP endorsed by Heritage Council, without any exemptions, 27 June 2003 for a period of five years, expires 27 June 2008. Jun 27 2003
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0022902 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0022923 Jul 82 993388
Register of the National EstateRNE36521 Mar 78   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Management Plan (HC endorsed)Conservation Management Planners & Associates2002Bundarra Court House A Conservation Management Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045480
File number: S90/05496; HAP90 234; HC 32736


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.