Building, outbuildings, grounds, trees | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Building, outbuildings, grounds, trees

Item details

Name of item: Building, outbuildings, grounds, trees
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Other - Residential Buildings (private)
Location: Lat: -33.5975866887 Long: 150.7462007160
Primary address: 49 - 51 Bosworth Street, Richmond, NSW 2753
Parish: Ham Common
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Hawkesbury
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Deerubbin
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
PART LOTB DP153561
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
49 - 51 Bosworth StreetRichmondHawkesburyHam CommonCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private26 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

49-51 Bosworth Street is an intact example of the more substantial town buildings erected in Richmond during the prosperous 1830s. It represents the style of building construction more substantial than the crude dwellings initially erected in the town. It has a strong association with a local entrepreneur, Isaac Cornwell, who was representative of the moderately successful second generation, native born colonist.

It demonstrates the characteristic style of town buildings, construction techniques and building materials of house building in the 1830s-1840s.

It is an example of utilising brick nog construction techniques of which only a small number (of known examples) remain today.

It offers a valuable and meaningful comparison to Bowman's Cottage demonstrating both the evolution and continuation of building styles, techniques and materials.

The site of the houses may possess archaeological potential (Edds, 1990).
Date significance updated: 13 Oct 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1827-1927
Physical description: Early nineteenth century building now used as motel manager's residence (Mottram, 2002)
c1927 oldest part (Graham Edds, pers.comm., 20/12/2010)
Modifications and dates: The house dates from the 1830s and was built in a number of stages. Initially a four room structure with a front verandah, it was expanded in the 1830s to include an additional three rooms to the south and a rear kitchen. Later unsympathetic additions to the south and rear of the main dwelling have since been removed.

The building has been used as a hotel, store and private dwelling. The property was adapted for use as a motel in 1995. It is currently used as a manger's residence for the motel at the rear of the property.
(Mottram, 2002)

History

Historical notes: INDIGENOUS OCCUPATION
The lower Hawkesbury was home to the Dharug people. The proximity to the Nepean River and South Creek qualifies it as a key area for food resources for indigenous groups (Proudfoot, 1987).
The Dharug and Darkinjung people called the river Deerubbin and it was a vital source of food and transport (Nichols, 2010).

NON-INDIGENOUS OCCUPATION
Governor Arthur Phillip explored the local area in search of suitable agricultural land in 1789 and discovered and named the Hawkesbury River after Baron Hawkesbury. This region played a significant role in the early development of the colony with European settlers established here by 1794. Situated on fertile floodplains and well known for its abundant agriculture, Green Hills (as it was originally called) supported the colony through desperate times. However, frequent flooding meant that the farmers along the riverbanks were often ruined.

Governor Lachlan Macquarie replaced Governor Bligh, taking up duty on 1/1/1810. Under his influence the colony propsered. His vision was for a free community, working in conjunction with the penal colony. He implemented an unrivalled public works program, completing 265 public buildings, establishing new public amenities and improving existing services such as roads. Under his leadership Hawkesbury district thrived. He visited the district on his first tour and recorded in his journal on 6/12/1810: 'After dinner I chrestened the new townships...I gave the name of Windsor to the town intended to be erected in the district of the Green Hills...the township in the Richmond district I have named Richmond...' the district reminded Macquarie of those towns in England, whilst Castlereagh, Pitt Town and Wilberforce were named after English statesmen. These are often referred to as Macquarie's Five Towns. Their localities, chiefly Windsor and Richmond, became more permanent with streets, town square and public buildings.

Macquarie also appointed local men in positions of authority. In 1810 a group of settlers sent a letter to him congratulating him on his leadership and improvements. It was published in the Sydney Gazette with his reply. He was 'much pleased with the sentiments' of the letter and assured them that the Haweksbury would 'always be an object of the greatest interest' to him (Nichols, 2010).

In marking out the towns of Windsor and Richmond in 1810, Governor Macquarie was acting on instructions from London. All of the Governors who held office between 1789 and 1822, from Phillip to Brisbane, recieved the same Letter of Instruction regarding the disposal of the 'waste lands of the Crown' that Britain claimed as her own. This included directives for the formation of towns and thus the extension of British civilisation to its Antipodean outpost (Proudfoot 1987, 7-9).

49-51 Bosworth Street:
The earliest plan layout of this building conforms to Governor Macquarie's criteria for early housing in the Macquarie Towns (above the level of, and because of, the Hawkesbury River's irregular floods)(Edds, pers.comm., 23/12/2010).

The house dates from the 1830s and was built in a number of stages. Initially a four room structure with a front verandah, it was expanded in the 1830s to include an additional three rooms to the south and a rear kitchen. Later unsympathetic additions to the south and rear of the main dwelling have since been removed.

The building has been used as a hotel, store and private dwelling. The property was adapted for use as a motel in 1995. It is currently used as a manger's residence for the motel at the rear of the property (Mottram, 2002).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services Innkeeping-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act

Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(a) the change of use of any building on the site;
(b) the maintenance of any building or item on the site, where maintenance means the continuous protective care of the existing fabric, but excluding renovation, major repairs, restoration or repainting;
(c)conservation and restoration works carried out in accordance with a conservation plan approved by the Heritage Council of New South Wales;
(d) garden maintenance, but not extensive lopping of trees.
Apr 7 1992
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0075302 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0075307 Apr 92 442554
Heritage Act - s.130 Order - Lapsed  09 Apr 81   
Heritage Act - s.130 Order - Revoked  30 Mar 90 44 
Local Environmental Plan  18 Dec 89   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenEdds, Graham (personal communication, 23/12/2010)2010NSW's earliest houses - email string via NSW Heritage Advisers
WrittenGillian Mottram2002Delegated Decision for Principal Heritage Officer's Signature
WrittenGraham Edds1990Conservation Management Plan
WrittenHawkesbury City Council2001Statement of Heritage Impact - The New Inn Motel
WrittenNichols, Michelle (Local Studies Librarian)2010Macquarie & the Hawkesbury District (in Calendar)

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045534
File number: S91/01010/001


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.