Post Office & Stables (former) | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Post Office & Stables (former)

Item details

Name of item: Post Office & Stables (former)
Other name/s: Post Office & Stables, East Maitland Post Office
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Postal and Telecommunications
Category: Post Office
Location: Lat: -32.7458828262 Long: 151.5874546040
Primary address: 18 Day Street, East Maitland, NSW 2323
Parish: Maitland
County: Northumberland
Local govt. area: Maitland
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Mindaribba
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT2 DP348906
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
18 Day StreetEast MaitlandMaitlandMaitlandNorthumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Lustrat Pty LtdPrivate 
Strata Plan No. 78634Private 

Statement of significance:

The former East Maitland Post Office is a fine example of a simple symmetrical but elegantly proportioned and detailed public building and comes from the office of one of the most important Government Architects, James Barnet. It is an impressive free standing building on a large site which together with its stables building provides important evidence of the history of the postal service in New South Wales. (Branch Managers Report 28 July 1986)
Date significance updated: 01 Oct 10
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1870-1870
Physical description: The post Office is a two storied, rendered brick, Victorian Italianate building of symmetrical design with a single storey timber verandah having a curved iron roof which returns at the sides to form single storey office wings. The main roof is hipped in form and of corrugated iron, embellished at the eaves by timber brackets and moulded string course. There is a sandstone paved footpath at the street frontage. The site also includes a garage which was formerly a stable and a detached toilet block.(Branch Managers Report 28 July 1986)
Modifications and dates: 1 June 1989 Heritage Council approval given for repairs, refurbishment and change of use.
10 March 1998 Heritage Council approval given for repainting the building.
Former use: Post Office

History

Historical notes: Constructed c.1870 the former post office was designed in the office of the Colonial Architect James Barnet.

The building ceased to be used as a post office on 3 August 1971 and was then used as a recreation and meeting room for the Maitland Branch of the Australian Postal Institute.

On 12 May 1986 the Heritage Council was advised by the Department of Local Government and Administrative Services that the property was surplus to the requirements of the Australian Postal Commission and that it intended to sell the property.

A Permanent Conservation Order was placed over the site on 15 May 1987. It was transferred to the State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. (none)-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act

Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(1) The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material; and
(2) Garden maintenance, including cultivation, weed control, the repair and maintenance of existing fences, gates and garden walls and pruning and tree surgery but not including extensive lopping; and
(3) Change of use
May 15 1987
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0049402 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0049415 May 87 802344
Local Environmental Plan  03 Sep 93   
Register of the National Estate  18 Apr 89 1260008

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1986Branch Managers Report
TourismTourism NSW2007Maitland Heritage Walk (central precinct) View detail

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045608
File number: HC 86/1929, S91/03712


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.