Vienna | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Vienna

Item details

Name of item: Vienna
Other name/s: Curan Curan, Carrum Carrum, Subiaco, Vienna Cottage
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Location: Lat: -33.8345914817 Long: 151.1547400110
Primary address: 38-40 Alexandra Street, Hunters Hill, NSW 2110
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Hunters Hill
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOTC DP77688
LOTD DP77688
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
38-40 Alexandra StreetHunters HillHunters HillHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
National Trust of Australia (NSW)Community Group 

Statement of significance:

Vienna is an excellent example of a tradesman's cottage of the nineteenth century, complete with its detached kitchen block. It intactness makes it rare in Sydney. It is evidence of the period 1861 - 1890 when Hunter's Hill first developed as a suburb and it stands on the earliest successful small lot subdivision in the village. The subdivision was undertaken by Jules Joubert who with his brother Didier were together the first, and most prominent developers of Hunter's Hill. The cottage demonstrates the tradesman's way of life of the 19th century, and how the family adapted the cottage to accommodate changing needs and standards. (Clive Lucas, 1983)
Date significance updated: 02 Jan 13
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Unkown
Builder/Maker: Unkown
Construction years: 1871-1871
Physical description: Vienna is a four-roomed stone gabled roofed cottage with front and back verandahs on a rectangular suburban block with small front garden and long rear garden, with remnant orchard (Stuart Read, 15/8/8).

The adjoining land (40 Alexandra Street), being part of Lot 12 of the original Joubert subdivision of 1859, has never been built upon. It was for many years an orchard having a variety of trees bearing oranges, mandarins, lemons, plums, quinces, pomegranates and guavas. The land has always been an integral part of Vienna. It also contains the old well which is now covered over.

The roof is slated and the doors are four panelled. The shuttered windows at the front of the house are pleate galss while those at the back at\re small paned with crown glass. The house retains its early Victorian style timber chimneypieces and in the front rooms are pretty circular ceiling roses, which is the only elaboration of the plasterwork.

Behind the house is a weatherboard service block, with an iron roof and stone chimney. This is linked to the main house by a simple covered way across a narrow flagged court (Lucas 1983).
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Physical condition is good.
Date condition updated:03 Mar 00
Modifications and dates: 1920s - windows put in side walls to allow more light into the rooms.
2007-8: garden restoration completed, including ornaments, pots, implements, fence repair, installing new gate and security device (National Trust, 2008).
Current use: Museum
Former use: House

History

Historical notes: Hunters Hill:
At the time of European contact the Kelly's bush area was inhabited by the Wal Umedegal Clan who spoke the Guringai language. They lived primarly on fish and shellfish, supplmenting their diet when necessary with vegetables, marsupials, birds and grubs. They were also frequently observed firing the scrub both to facilitate access to the foreshore and to flush out game. Very little is known of their social structure and religious beliefs (Pitt, 2011).

Captain John Hunter (1737-1821) of the Sirius, charted Sydney harbour in 1788. On 28 January 1788 he wrote in his journal: 'A few days after my arrival with the transports in Port Jackson, I set off with a six-oared boat and a small boat, intending to make as good a survey of the harbour as circumstances would admit: I took to my assistance Mr Bradley, the first lieutenant, Mr Keltie, the master, and a young gentleman of the quarter-deck (midshipman Henry Waterhouse).' Hunter's meticulous chart shows 30 depth soundings around the peninsula bounded by the Parramatta and Lane Cove Rivers. Hunter was Governor of the Colony from 1795-1800. He is commemorated in the name of Hunters Hill (Sherry/Hunters Hill Historical Society, 2011, 15).

In 1855 a speculative housing venture of erecting four prefabricated Swiss Cottages at Hunters Hill was underway. In this period Hunters Hill was an established French enclave, with the residence of the French consul located there at "Passy", and much of its early development was constructed by men of French descent. The prefabricated houses were advertised as "four splendid family residences, standing in their own grounds, of about 1 acres each", with "wood and water in abundance" ( Sherry 1989, 48).

Beverley Sherry in her study of Hunter Hill notes that this was the first planned group of houses to be built in the municipality, marking the beginning of the garden suburb character of Australia's oldest Garden Suburb The subdivision and garden suburb development occurred in the mid to late nineteenth century, predating the formation of the Garden Suburb movement. The historic development at Hunters Hill was consistently speculative, although some of the subdivisions were undertaken to provide residences for family members (Mattingley, 2007).

Vienna:
Vienna was built in 1871 for John Jacob Hellman (later Hillman) and his Irish wife Ann. He originally came from Hamburg, Germany and his wife Ann (nee O'Donnell) from Mooneenreave, County Leitrim, Ireland. Ann came to Australia in 1857 as a bounty migrant (Sherry, 2011, 4). They were married in 1860, and purchased what is now 36 to 40 Alexandra Street from Herman Heinrich Groth for (Pounds)60 on 19th November, 1866. This land formed lots 11 and 12 of a Jules Joubert subdivision of 1859. The area was originally owned by John Roby Hatfield by crown grant dated 12th July, 1839.

John Jacob Hellman was a shoemaker by occupation. In the 1870s he had a shop at 171/2 Erskine Street, City and later worked as a shoemaker to St. Joseph's College. He and his wife owned cattle and ran a dairy and orchard and in the early 1880s he was also the lamp lighter of the Borough of Hunter's Hill. There were six children, all except the first were baptised at the Villa Maria Church, Hunters Hill as Hillman, not Hellman. Their second son Hugh (born 8.7.1870) was enrolled as a boarder at St. Joseph's College on the first day (18.7.1881) that the College began at Hunter's Hill.

The cottage 'Redleaf (36 Alexandra Street) was also owned by the Hellmans and after the death of his wife Arm (5.8.1908), John Jacoh and his youngest son James Frederick (born 9.6.1873) moved in 1912 from Vienna into that weatherboard cottage. At that time his son Hugh was the owner occupier of Alroy (34 Alexandra Street) and his married daughter Mary King (born 19.8.1867) and her children lived in Vienna.

After the death of his father, James Frederick, who was a tailor by occupation, became the owner of both Vienna and Redleaf and continued to live in Redleaf until 1923. During the 1920s he made some changes to Vienna including the insertion of side windows to allow more light into the rooms. Mary King left Vienna in 1923 and another of John Jacob's sons, John Hillman (born 15.5.1865) lived there until 1926. A number of tenants then occupied the cottage, the Anderson family since 1941, George Anderson being the tenant in 1983. James Frederick never married and after his death in 1958 the cottage passed to one of his nieces, Gladys Hillman who is still the owner.

Vienna was known from its construction in 1871 up until the 1920s as Carrum Carrum. When occupied by John Hillman Jnr. in 1924 it was called Subiaco but since the 1930s its name has been Vienna.

The adjoining land (40 Alexandra Street), being part of Lot 12 of the original Joubert subdivision of 1859, has never been built upon. It was for many years an orchard having a variety of trees bearing oranges, mandarins, lemons, plums, quinces, pomegranates and guavas. The land has always been an integral part of Vienna. It also contains the old well which is now covered over. (Lucas 1983).

In 1984 Vienna Cottage was purchased by the National Trust of Australia (NSW) with funding from the local Vienna Appeal Committee (Le Seuer, 2015, 7).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Changing land uses - from rural to suburban-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Housing-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages 19th century suburban developments-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages Developing suburbia-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with John Jacob Hellman, shoemaker, lamp lighter-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Vienna is an excellent example of a tradesman's cottage of the nineteenth century, complete with its detached kitchen block. It is evidence of the period 1861 - 1890 when Hunter's Hill first developed as a suburb and it stands on the earliest successful small lot subdivision in the village. The subdivision was undertaken by Jules Joubert who with his brother Didier were together the first, and most prominent developers of Hunter's Hill. The cottage demonstrates the tradesman's way of life of the 19th century, and how the family adapted the cottage to accommondate changing needs and standards. (Lucas, 1983)
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The un-built upon land, once an orchard, is rare evidence of the reliance of suburban families in the 19th and early 20th century on home produce, and is asignificance feature of the property. (Lucas, 1983)
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Vienna combined with the adjoining Hillman cottages of Alroy and Redleaf demonstrate the once common pattern of family property ownership, and the later resubdivision of the land demonstrates, in microcosm, the speculative nature of land ownership in Hunter's Hill. (Lucas, 1983)
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The cottage has considerable educational value. The cottage demonstrates the tradesman's way of life of the 19th century, and how the family adapted the cottage to accommondate changing needs and standards. (Lucas, 1983)
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Its intactness makes it rare in Sydney. (Lucas, 1983)
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act

Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(a) The maintenance of any item on the site meaning the continuous protective care of existing materials;
(b) work set out in the conservation Ananlysis and Plan dated May 1983.
Aug 29 1986
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0045902 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0045929 Aug 86 1364238
Local Environmental Plan  13 Sep 91   
National Trust of Australia register  10691   
Register of the National Estate 261621 Mar 78   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAustralian Council of National Trusts (ACNT)1983'The Way We Were', in The Historic Houses of Australia
WrittenClive Lucas1983Vienna - Conservation Analysis and Plan
WrittenLe Seuer, Angela2015'National Trust celebrates its 70th anniversary'
WrittenNational Trust of Australia (NSW)2008Vienna Cottage - newsletter
TourismNational Trust of NSW2007Vienna View detail
WrittenSherry, Beverley2011'John Hunter', entry (Valentia Street Wharf footpath plaque); 'Vienna' entry
TourismTourism NSW2007Vienna Cottage View detail

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045661
File number: S90/05280 & HC 32911


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.