Retreat, The | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Retreat, The

Item details

Name of item: Retreat, The
Other name/s: The Retreat
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Cottage
Location: Lat: -33.8142979995 Long: 151.0982900830
Primary address: 817 Victoria Road, Ryde, NSW 2112
Parish: Hunters Hill
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Ryde
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP313163
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
817 Victoria RoadRydeRydeHunters HillCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private16 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

The Retreat is an item of State significance as a rare example, in the Ryde district, of a simple early to mid 19th century sandstone cottage built by Isaac Shepherd, the owner of Addington and a member of the NSW Parliament, for his sister, Ann and brother-in-law, William Henry. Henry an early pioneer in the Ryde area and a close friend of Samuel Marsden, was a member of the first group of white missionaries to visit Tahiti. The Retreat is important as a heritage item because it is one of the oldest buildings in the area and has early associations with Addington. (Heritage Office files)
Date significance updated: 22 Nov 07
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: Isaac Shepherd
Construction years: 1843-1843
Physical description: Site:
The Retreat is sited on a large residential block, the building itself being set back considerably from Victoria Road. The front garden contains remnants of previous landscaping, including rose bushes, a central pathway leading to the house and two mature pencil pine/Mediterranean cypresses (Cupressus sempervirens) either side of the main entry. The large rear yard contains several mature fruit trees.

Cottage:
The Retreat is a four roomed sand stone cottage, with a later addition of two attic rooms each with a dormer window facing the rear of the cottage. A kitchen and bathroom wing has been added to the rear of the cottage.

The external walls of the cottage are of solid dressed sandstone now rendered both sides. The hipped corrugated iron roof is of timber collar tie construction with batten spaces indicating that it may have been previously shingled. The roof eaves have a timber boarded soffit.

Several walls and ceilings in the rear rooms are of lath and plaster while other ceilings are of pressed metal.

The timber floors, window joinery and fireplaces appear to be in sound condition (Branch Managers Report 249/85, 1 July 1985)
Modifications and dates: An original front verandah has been removed (RCC, 2016).
Current use: Aboriginal land, colonial farmland, orcharding
Former use: Residence

History

Historical notes: AREA HISTORY
The area was highly suitable for farming and orchards, and early grants to marines were given to encourage agriculture. In 1792 land in the area was granted to 8 marines; two were in the modern area of Ryde.

Isaac Archer and John Colethread each received 80 acres of land on the site of the present Ryde-Parramatta Golf Links, now in West Ryde. Later in 1792, in the Eastern Farms area, 12 grants, most of them about 30 acres, were made to convicts. Much later these farms were bought by John Macarthur, Gregory Blaxland and the Reverend Samuel Marsden. The district remained an important orchard area throughout the 19th century (Pollen, 1996, 234-5).

The 1792 grants were made to ten convicts who had completed their sentences, in the area called the Eastern Boundary or the Eastern Farms, being east of the settlement at Parramatta. By 1794 it was also called Kissing Point. It was not called Ryde until 1841. Situated on the Parramatta River, mid-way between Sydney and Parramatta, Eastern Farms was the third district to be settled by Europeans.

SITE HISTORY
The land on which "The Retreat" was later built was originally a grant of 30 acres from Lieutenant-Governor Paterson to James Squire in July 1795. Squire found land closer to the river more suitable for his brewery and wharf and in July 1799 sold his grant to his neighbour (and former assigned convict servant (RCC, 2016)), James Shepherd, for 50 pounds. This land was owned by Shepherd's descendants until 1911.

ASSOCIATION WITH THE SHEPHERD FAMILY
James Shepherd had arrived in New South Wales as a convict aboard the "Matilda" in August 1791. Convicted at Croydon, England In 1785, he had already served six years of his 14 year sentence and soon received a pardon. He married Ann Thorn in February 1795. She had arrived on the "Surprise (2)" in October 1794 with a seven year sentence. The 60 female convicts aboard the "Surpize" had been specially chosen. All were under 40 years of age so that they would quickly marry and thereby inspire their men to greater diligence and labour on their behalf. In November 1794, a month after her arrival, Ann Thorn was granted 20 acres at the Eastern Farms. Her grant contains the first reference to the district name as "Kissing Point". Four months after her arrival, she married James Shepherd.

Ann and James Shepherd made their home at Thorn Farm, in the vicinity of Thorn Street, Ryde. In addition to Ann's 20 acre grant, James received 30 acres at the Field of Mars in May 1797. He purchased Squire's 30 acres on the northern boundary of Ann's grant (for 100 pounds: RCC, 2016), acquired Bradley's adjoining grant and James Stewart's 30 acres east of Squire's land in 1809. Squire's grant became known as Shepherd's Bush and Bradley's was called Shepherd's Hill. By Governor Macquarie's administration, Shepherd owned all land from Parkes Street to the river between Bowden and Belmore Streets. By 1820 he owned 180 acres at Kissing Point and by 1828 he had 1,500 acres. In the beginning he had run sheep and grown wheat but soon turned to orange orchards. Much of his land was leased out to tenants.

James and Ann Shepherd had two sons, James (1796-1882) and Isaac (1800-1877), and two daughters, Ann (1797-1882) and El izabeth. Ann Shepherd died on 7 April 1806, aged 48, and was buried on her farm. Her eldest daughter, nine year old Ann, cared for the other children until her marriage in 1813, aged 16. Much respected in the district, James Shepherd died on 27 April 1847, aged 85, and was buried on Thorn Farm. The gravestones of Ann and James Shepherd were moved to Field of Mars Cemetery when their slab and stone cottage was demolished in 1926.

From the 1820s, much of Shepherd's land at Ryde was managed by, or transferred to, his son, Isaac. Isaac married in 1832 and the following year started to build a cottage, later called Addington, on part of the Stewart grant. In 1835 Isaac acquired land at Meadowbank where in 1840 he built his home, Hellenie, a two-storey sandstone mansion. This became his base for pastoral activities in the Murrumbidgee district. Isaac Shepherd was the member of parliament for St Leonards from 1860 to 1864 and was instrumental in efforts to bring local government to Ryde, achieved in 1870, the year of his death.

In 1837 Isaac Shepherd sold a portion on the southern corner of Victoria Road and Bowden Street for a police station. In 1841 he subdivided land around the watch house and near St Anne's, in conjunction with James Devlin. They described their subdivisions as the "Village of Rydell, named after the birthplace of Mrs Turner, the wife of their resident clergyman.

The north-western suburbs of Sydney are often called the "bible-belt". This evangelical tradition started in Ryde in August 1798 when the Reverend William Henry held the first religious service in a barn at Kissing Point. Rev. Henry married James Shepherd's daughter, Ann (she was his second wife: RCC, 2016), and "The Retreat" was their home.

William Henry was born in Sligo, Ireland in 1770, the son of George and Sarah Henry. He trained as a carpenter and joiner and worked in the Sligo shipyards. As a young man, he joined in the persecution of itinerant Methodist preachers but in 1791 was converted and joined the Methodist group known as the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion. They arranged for Henry's tuition under the Reverend John Walker, a classicist, mathematician and Fellow of Trinity College, Dublin.

The Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion supported the London Missionary Society, founded in 1795 by Dr Haweis, chaplain to the Countess, and an earnest advocate of a missionary voyage to the South Seas. The new non-denominational missionary society purchased the ship "Duff" and despatched 30 missionaries to the South Seas in August 1796. All were tradesmen. There were six married missionaries with their families, among them William Henry and his wife Sarah, whom he had married in Sligo in October 1794. Their child, Sarah, was the first child born after the missionaries arrived at Tahiti in May 1797.

Tahiti had been discovered in 1767, visited by Cook in 1770 and by Bligh in 1788. The beauty of the island fascinated the English, as did reports of its noble savages and their sensuous women. These attractions provided the setting for the mutiny of the crew of the "Bounty" against Captain Bligh in 1789. The missionaries found a community in which infanticide, human sacrifice, promiscuity and idolatry were practised.

Within a year, the missionaries became concerned for their safety and fled with their families to Sydney where they arrived in May 1798. With the Reverend J.F.Cover, William Henry established an itinerant mission based in Parramatta and in 1798-99 preached throughout the barely settled north-western districts of Sydney. Henry's congregation at Kissing Point developed into the congregation of St Anne's. Kissing Point became an informal base for the several South Sea missionaries, including Francis Oakes who married the daughter of Kissing Point settler John Small. James Cooper (1768-1846), a missionary on the second voyage of the "Duff" in 1800 settled at Kissing Point in 1814 as its school master.

William Henry and his family retuned to Tahiti in October 1799 to continue his missionary work. Following a rebellion in late 1808 and the destruction of their homes, seven missionaries and their families again fled to Sydney where they arrived in the Hibernia in February 1810. Among them was William Henry with his wife and three children. Henry returned to the Kissing Point district where he preached and taught. His fourth child, William Ebenezer, was born in December 1810 in "the house appointed for a school and chapel in the district called Eastern Farms or Kissing Point". After a year Henry returned to Tahiti, this time bearing Macquarie's appointment as 'magistrate for the Pacific Islands'. His wife, Sarah, died at Tahiti in July 1812.

Leaving his children in Tahiti, Henry returned briefly to Sydney in 1813 seeking a second wife. He chose Ann Shepherd, the 16 year old daughter of his friend, James Shepherd of Kissing Point. William and Ann were married by the Reverend Samuel Marsden at Parramatta on 1 June 1813. There were few women in New South Wales whose upbringing or piety more suited them to life as a missionary's wife. In choosing a bride so soon after the death of his first wife and in selecting a girl the same age as his own daughter, Henry shocked some of his missionary colleagues. Others applauded it as a sensible decision, acknowledging that a celibate life was virtually impossible in Tahiti and problems had occurred when missionaries and their sons had taken native mistresses.

William Henry returned to Tahiti with his bride and the first of their ten children was born on the island of Eimeo in August 1814. Ann Henry retained close contact with her family at Kissing Point. Both of her brothers visited her in Tahiti. James Shepherd joined them on the island of Moorea, near Tahiti, in 1816 then joined the Church Missionary Society and became a missionary, in New Zealand. Isaac Shepherd came to Tahiti in 1818 with John Gyles, a missionary who had been sent to establish sugar cultivation and a mill on the island. They worked on the project for a year without success and Isaac returned to Sydney in late 1819. The Henry children were sent to Sydney for brief periods, the boys to serve apprenticeships and the girls to improve their "education, needlework and house keeping". Some of the children lived with other missionary families in Sydney. Five year old Josiah, their fifth child, was sent to live with his grandfather Shepherd at Kissing Point in 1827

Henry reported regularly to mission headquarters in London and maintained contacts in Sydney with the Reverend Samuel Marsden at Parramatta who was from 1812 a foreign director of the London Missionary Society. Henry corresponded with several former missionaries, including Rowland Hassall, and other colonial clergymen such as the Reverend John Dunmore Lang. William Henry served as a missionary in Tahiti and nearby islands for 50 years. When he retired in 1847, he was the longest serving and only survivor of the first band of missionaries to the Pacific. Henry had baptised King Pomare, resulting in great influence for the missionaries within Tahitian society. As a teacher, he compiled a Tahitian grammar and observed Polynesian customs and culture. As pastor, he participated in the moral, social and civic life of the Tahitian people.

In the eyes of his colleagues in Tahiti and in Sydney, Henry's missionary achievements were overshadowed by the behaviour of the children of both his marriages. Brought up as Tahitian, speaking Tahitian as their first language, they mixed freely with native children, adopting their sexual and social habits, such as tattooing. The Henry children were regarded as social outcasts, the despair of missionary families in the islands and in Sydney where they were sent to learn European ways, accusations of drunkeness, idolatry and promiscuity filled reports to London. Several of the Henry boys turned to trade running guns, liquor, sandalwood and supplies around the islands. The exploits of Captain Samuel Pinder Henry, a son of Henry's first marriage, and Captain George Henry, eldest son of Ann's ten children, became part of the Pacific sea-farers' folklore. Alarmed by the behaviour of the children of several of the first missionaries, the London Missionary Society decided in 1839 to retire the older men, including William Henry. In October 1842 Henry, his wife and his younger children sailed to Sydney on the "Sarah Ann", arriving in December 1842.

Building the Retreat
In January 1843 Henry wrote to the London Missionary Society about his plans to retire and settle at Kissing Point. He asked for a grant of 200 pounds for building. The Society refused, indicating that a retirement allowance would be made for him and if this was insufficient for his "indispensable wants" they would then consider another request. The Society's letter concluded: We rejoice to perceive that in the retreat you have selected for your declining years, you will not be without opportunities for making known the preciousness of a Saviour's love.

On 24 October 1843 James Shepherd "being desirous of making some provision" for his daughter, Ann Henry, gave her one acre of land, part of James Squire's 30 acre grant, bounded on the east by James Stewart's grant and on the south by the public road to Parramatta. Shepherd appointed Joseph Smith, a coffee planter in Tahiti, as Ann's trustee. Smith was her son-in-law, a pious young man who in 1835 had married Elizabeth Henry (born 1816). Smith, his wife and her sister, Ann, settled in Hawaii, where Smith held a government position.

The Retreat" homestead was probably built in 1843. The deed of gift specified "in consideration of the premises and of ten shillings" and transferred the land and "the message thereon erected". William Henry, though trained as a carpenter, was an elderly man but one of his (stepsons : RCC, 2016) sons, James Shepherd Henry (born 1820), was a builder. Ann's brother Isaac Shepherd was apparently also its builder (RCC, 2016). Isaac owned the adjoining one acre portion which was given to him by his father in 1833. Isaac probably provided the stone for "The Retreat" from his quarry. Stone from James Shepherd Sr.'s nearby (RCC, 2016) quarry had been used to build St Anne's Church in 1826, Addington in the 1830s and Hellenie in 1840.

Henry and his family did not settle down at Kissing Point. In late 1844 he returned to Tahiti "with his family of three idle sons and as many daughters." The resident missionary refused to let his daughters visit the Henry home and Isaac and Daniel Henry were charged with defamation following another clash with him. These personal conflicts were further confused by the political situation and William and Ann Henry's friendship with the French who had declared Tahiti a French protectorate in 1842. The directors of the London Missionary Society, as well as the resident missionaries, were anxious to remove the Henry family from the islands but recognised that they were only "punishing a parent for the errors of his child. Mr Henry...has pained his mind. He declines removing, in consequence of his health."

In 1847 Henry, aged 77, celebrated his jubilee as a missionary. In April 1847 James Shepherd died at Kissing Point, leaving property for his daughter, Ann, and her children. William and Ann Henry, with four of their ten children, returned to Sydney in February 1848 (RCC, 2016 say 1849) and settled at their "Retreat". Here, at last, the family achieved a quiet respectability denied them in their pioneering years in the Pacific. Financial difficulties did not disappear. Ann and her two youngest daughters, Sophia and Henrietta, had inherited from James Shepherd a block of land in George Street, Sydney. Regular mortgages on this land, the first for 700 pounds in June 1857, provided capital until Sophia died unmarried in 1904. "The Retreat" was mortgaged in December 1858 for 200 pounds and repaid in full two years later.

William Henry continued to preach at St.Anne's and acted as school master (RCC, 2016) until his death at Ryde aged 89 in April 1859, his body erect, his voice strong and his conversation animated to the last. His obituary in the 'Sydney Morning Herald' declared him "a pioneer of civilisation and commerce as a teacher of the Christian faith, he maintained an unblemished reputation through all the trials of his long public life. The children of the southern islands ... will pay their homage to the memory of one who devoted his life to their welfare."

He was buried in St Anne's cemetery, not far from where he had preached the first service in the district 61 years earlier.

Ann Henry continued to live at "The Retreat" for some years after her husband's death. An unmarried daughter, Sophia, and a son, Philip, lived with her. Nearby another son, James Shepherd Henry, lived at "The Glen". J.S.Henry was a builder and government building inspector. In 1870 he and Friers were awarded the contract to build the new Wesleyan Church at Ryde and three years later with William Trevitt, J.S.Henry built St Anne's Parochial School on the corner of Belmore Street and Victoria Road. At Ryde, Ann Henry was particularly active in the Wesleyan Church which had been built the year she returned to the district. She was regarded as the founder of the Ryde Wesleyan Sunday School. In May 1873 she gave a three foot strip of land between "The Retreat" and "Addington" to her nephew, Thomas Kendall Bowden, who owned "Addington". He was erecting a new room and had built partly on her land.

About 1880 Ann Henry moved to Glebe where some of her children and grandchildren lived. Despite her advanced years, she became a member of the Glebe Congregational Church and was visited by a younger generation of missionaries. She resided with her son, Philip, living in Arundel Terrace and later in Pyrmont Bridge Road where she died, aged 84 on 29 July 1882. Ann Henry was buried with her husband in St Anne's cemetery, Ryde.

In her will dated 1870, Ann Henry left The Retreat" to her youngest son, Philip Hitoti Henry (1829-1909); however in a codicil in 1877, she left it to another son, Daniel Tyreman Bennett Henry (1825-1891), but permitted Philip use of the house for five years after her death. Although Philip Henry does not appear, from Sands Directories, to have lived at "The Retreat" in the 1880s, he may have leased it out.

Daniel T.B.Henry had settled in Sydney with his parents in 1848. He married Sarah Rebecca Pemell at Balmain in 1860 and by the 1870s, his wild Tahitian childhood put aside, was a successful businessman in partnership with J.C.Yeo in the City Flour Mills. His home was 'Stanmore House' on Enmore Road and Simmons Street. By 1882, the year of his mother's death, he was a justice of the peace. He died nine years later, leaving property valued at 1,600 pounds and no will. "The Retreat" was inherited by his widow, Sarah, and his seven children.

In 1882 when Ann Henry died, "The Retreat" was one of less than 100 houses in the village of Ryde. Within the next few years, the area grew quickly and many new houses were built. "The Retreat" was probably vacant for several years in the late 1880s and 1890s. In 1897 it was leased to S.B.Vanderpump. H.G.Hill rented it from 1898 until about 1904. Henry W.Bennett leased it for about four years, followed by Frederick Nicholls and then Hugh McManamey.

Later owners
In July 1911 Sarah Henry and her children sold The Retreat" to retired mariner, James Brand Simmons of Gladesville for 480 pounds. In 1912 Simmons also purchased the adjoining western block on the corner of Shepherd Street. Both blocks were put up for sale by the Public Trustee in 1925 and purchased by Joseph Murray, a Ryde builder. He immediately sold the rear portion facing Anderson Avenue and the corner block to another builder but retained "The Retreat" for two years, selling in 1927 to George S. Dunnett, an engineer of Huntley's Point. Dunnett divided the block, selling "The Retreat" in 1929 to Alma Moffat and the block between "The Retreat" and "Addington I1 to James Jones, a builder of Willoughby in 1930.

Mrs Alma Moffatt retained "The Retreat" until 1949 when she sold to Ronald Littlejohn. Samuel Samson of Rydalmere purchased "The Retreat" in 1962 (Historical Report on The Retreat, Liston, 1987).

A Commission of Inquiry was held into the making of Permanent Conservation Order over the Retreat, in 1987. A Permanent Conservation Order was gazetted for The Retreat in 1987.

The Retreat was transferred to the State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Private farming-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Truffle farming-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Processing wheat and other grains-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Orcharding-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Cereal production-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use Agisting and fattening stock for slaughter-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use Sheep farming for wool-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. Housing for mission residents-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with James Squire, brewer and businessman-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with James Shepherd, farmer-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with James Shepherd, farmer-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Isaac Shepherd, farmer and orchardist-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Rev. William Henry, priest and missionary-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Ann Henry (nee Shepherd), priest's and missionary's wife, farmer-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with Daniel T.B. Henry JP, businessman-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The land on which The Retreat was built was owned by James Shepherd and his descendents, the Henry family, from 1799 to 1911. The Retreat was built about 1843 to provide a home for Ann Henry, nee Shepherd, when she and her husband, the Reverend William Henry, retired as missionaries in Tahiti. The Shepherd family were significant pioneers of the agricultural, commercial , religious and civic life of Ryde in the nineteenth century. The neighbouring homes of Isaac Shepherd at Addington and his sister Ann at the Retreat are rare survivors of contiguous family houses. (Commission of Inquiry 1987)
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The Retreat is associated through the Reverend William Henry with the first church service in the Ryde disctrict in 1798 and early efforts to build a local church and school. The Retreat is associated thorugh the Reverend William Henry with the first Christian missionaries to visit the Pacific and establish a European settlement there. Henry was among the first group and remained through personal and political adversity as the longest serving member of thesepioneer missionaries. His children and their descendants, scattered through Tahiti, Hawaii and New Zealand, pioneered European settlement in the South Pacific. (Commission of Inquiry 1987)
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Retreat is significant as a modest house to which its construction relied upon family members and a retirement pension of a retiring missionary. The scale of the Retreat, a small cottage, set back from a thoroughfare which even in the 1840s was a main route to Parramatta, evokes the modesty and retirment of its missionary worker and his slight financial resources in comparison with his waelthier in-laws, the Shepherds at the adjoining Addington. (Commission of Inquiry 1987)
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Though Ryde is the third district of European settlement in Australia, only a small number of its buildings before 1850 survive. The Retreat is a rare example of a simple cottage that were once common in the disrict. (Commission of Inquiry 1987)
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act

Order Under Section 57(2) to exempt the following activities from Section 57(1):
(1) The maintenance of any building or item on the site where maintenance means the continuous protective care of existing material;
(2) All horticultural management including the painting, repair and maintenance of existing fences, gates and garden walls.
Oct 9 1987
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0050602 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0050609 Oct 87 1595765

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenCouncil of the City of Ryde (RCC)2016Ryde Heritage Walking Trail View detail
WrittenDr Alan Gilpin Commissioner1987Commission of Inquiry into The Retreat, 817 Victoria Road, Ryde.
WrittenDr Carol Liston1996Historical Report on the Retreat

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045698
File number: S90/03487 & HC 33365


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.