Old Police Station & Courthouse | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Old Police Station & Courthouse

Item details

Name of item: Old Police Station & Courthouse
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Law Enforcement
Category: Police station
Location: Lat: -31.8251750002 Long: 149.7193608300
Primary address: 74 Binnia Street, Coolah, NSW 2843
Parish: Coolah
County: Napier
Local govt. area: Warrumbungle
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Gilgandra
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT125 DP704117
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
74 Binnia StreetCoolahWarrumbungleCoolahNapierPrimary Address
74 Binnia StreetCoolahWarrumbungleCoolahNapierDuplicate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private11 Mar 99

Statement of significance:

Completed in 1880, the building is one of the few examples remaining from the Victorian era of a small combined Police and Court building. It was designed by the eminent Colonial Architect, James Barnet, and retains a good state of architectural integrity, as one of the oldest public buildings in the town of Coolah. (Branch Managers Report to the Heritage Council 24 August 1979)
Date significance updated: 03 Oct 00
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Colonial Architect, James Barnet
Builder/Maker: Henry S. Winter.
Construction years: 1878-1880
Physical description: The building is of Colonial style architecture. It is constructed of brick with some stone and a galvanised iron roof.
Modifications and dates: 1898 - Some alterations, designed by the office of the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon, were carried out by the builder J.T Saunders of Merriwa and consisted of the conversion of old cells to bedrooms for the residence and the construction of new cells and yard.

Some additional minor alterations were carried out between that time and 1930 by the Government Architect of the day, none of which detracted from the architectural significance of the building.
Former use: Police Station and Courthouse

History

Historical notes: The small building when constructed in 1878-1880, house the combined functions of Court House, Police Station, Lockup and Police residence. It was designed by the Colonial Architect, James Barnet and built by Henry S. Winter.

Some alterations, designed by the office of the Government Architect, Walter Liberty Vernon, were carried out in 1898 by the builder J.T Saunders of Merriwa and consisted of the conversion of old cells to bedrooms for the residence and the construction of new cells and yard. Some additional minor alterations were carried out between that time and 1930 by the Government Architect of the day, none of which detracted from the architectural significance of the building.

In 1979 Coolah Shire Council requested the making of a Conservation Order over the Old Police Station and Courthouse. As a new Police Station and a new Police Sergeant’s residence had already been built on another site in Coolah, plans were being made for its disposal.

The Department of Public Works and Services supported the making of a Conservation Order in respect of the building.

On 28 March 1980 a Permanent Conservation Order was placed over the property.

In 1987 the Department of Public Works invited tenders for the purchase of the property.

It was transferred to the State Heritage Register on 2 April 1999.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
7. Governing-Governing Law and order-Activities associated with maintaining, promoting and implementing criminal and civil law and legal processes (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Completed in 1880, the building is one of the few examples remaining from the Victorian era of a small combined Police and Court building. It was designed by the eminent Colonial Architect, James Barnet, and is one of the oldest public buildings in the town of Coolah. (Branch Managers Report to the Heritage Council 24 August 1979)
Integrity/Intactness: It retains a good state of architectural integrity. (Branch Managers Report to the Heritage Council 24 August 1979)
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0004802 Apr 99 271546
Heritage Act - Permanent Conservation Order - former 0004828 Mar 80 511409

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1979Branch Managers Report to the Heritage Council 24 August 1979

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5045704
File number: S90/04419 & HC 32019


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.