Sewage Pumping Station 38 | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Sewage Pumping Station 38

Item details

Name of item: Sewage Pumping Station 38
Other name/s: SPS 38, Mascot Sewage Pumping Station, SP0038
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Utilities - Sewerage
Category: Sewage Pump House/Pumping Station
Location: Lat: -33.9425999980 Long: 151.1874000020
Primary address: General Holmes Drive, Mascot, NSW 2020
Local govt. area: Botany Bay
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan

Boundary:

State Heritage Register listing boundary is the footprint of the three buildings only.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
General Holmes DriveMascotBotany Bay  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Sydney WaterState Government27 Nov 98

Statement of significance:

This Station was the first of an original group of low level Sewage Pumping Stations constructed to serve the SWOOS No.1 in 1916. It is a representative example of a simple, robust and well proportioned Federation Free Style industrial building, the architectural expressions of which can be found in the structural detailing of the facade, superb brickwork, and roof forms. In addition, the mechanical components housed within the building have potential industrial archaeological value. Its architectural detailing makes a strong contribution to the visual catchment of the airport precinct and Botany area. The Station is currently in use as a LLSPS.
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: WATER BOARD
Builder/Maker: WATER BOARD
Physical description: SPS 38 is a conventional LLSPS with a circular concrete substructure housed within a single storey Federation Free Style industrial building. Adjacent to this is a 3-pump machinery well. Externally there is a slate gambrel roof with terracotta hip and ridge cappings, two timber louvered gambrel vents, projecting gable and exposed eaves with V-jointed T & G ponding boards. The masonry is well-burnt brown brick, timber framed double-hung windows with sandstone sills, brick arches and recent security grilles; entrance consisting of steel roller shutter door, recessed brick reveal and a rubbed sandstone lintel inscribed with the letters "MWS & DB 1915". Rainwater goods consist of fibre cement gutters, rainwater heads and downpipe. Internally the ceiling is lined with V-jointed T & G boarding with a large scotia cornice. There is a large ventilation grille centered on the ceiling; walls of painted brickwork and chequer plate flooring. SPS 38 is located adjacent to an inspection hall and substation which are of similar appearance. The buildings themselves stand alone in a grassed area adjacent to the old water pumping station. They can be prominently seen from General Holmes Drive and as a group have landmark value.
Modifications and dates: This SPS is substantially intact. There is damage to the masonry around window security fittings, and the stone sills are severely weathered. The projecting rails which would have been fixed to the projecting gable are no loger in situ.

History

Historical notes: SPS 38 was the first Station constructed to serve the newly installed SWOOS No.1, which superceded the Botany-Rockdale Sewage Farm (ceased 1911). This action was the product of a Parliamentary Inquiry held between 1905-1908, in which it was decided to divert the sewage of the southern, western and Illawarra suburbs from the Botany and Rockdale Sewage Farms to discharge into the ocean near Long Bay. A gravitiation scheme was decided upon, supplemented in places by the introduction of a slight gradient to aid in transportation. The construction of this ocean outfall sewer was carried out by the Public Works Department (PWD) and put into commission in 1919. SPS 38 was constructed to service the low lying areas of the Cooks River Estuary and Ascot Racecourse.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis (none)-

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementSewage Pumping Station SP0038 CMP, preepared by Sydney Water for Sydney Water, undated CMP endorsed by Heritage Council 16 June 2005 for a period of five years, expires 16 June 2010. Jun 16 2005
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0134418 Nov 99   
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register 265013   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Sydney Water Heritage Study1996265013Graham Brooks and Associates Pty LtdGRAHAM BROOKS AND ASSOCIATES PTY LTD 1 JULY 1996 Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5051446
File number: H04/00044, 265013


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.