Arnprior | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Arnprior

Item details

Name of item: Arnprior
Other name/s: Arnprior - Welcome Reef Dam
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Farming and Grazing
Category: Homestead Complex
Location: Lat: -35.2859227636 Long: 149.7866125690
Primary address: Mayfield Road, Larbert, NSW 2622
Local govt. area: Palerang
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Batemans Bay
Hectares (approx): 501

Boundary:

North: The current SCA ownership boundary South: The current SCA ownership boundary to Mayfield Road East: Mayfield Road West: The current SCA property boundary, excluding the south western corner of the property bounded by fence lines R, S and T. This curtilage encompasses the Arnprior homestead in its immediate setting, a portion of the original Ryrie land grant, a portion of the earlier Larbert to Mayfield Road, most of the original Larbert town plan and may include evidence of Aboriginal occupation of the area during the 1820s-1850s along the creek lines to the west of the homestead.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Mayfield RoadLarbertPalerang  Primary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Water NSWState Government 

Statement of significance:

Arnprior is of State significance as one of the earliest land grants and settlements in the Shoalhaven River area, which is able to demonstrate patterns of land allocation and use in southern NSW during the early decades of the NSW colony, particularly the granting of land to early free settlers and the surveying of roads and town reserves in settled districts in the 1820s and 30s. This is evidenced through the known (church and cemetery) and potential archaeological evidence of the early township of Larbert located within the property of Arnprior.

Arnprior is of Local significance for its association with the Ryrie family, who were prominent land owners and settlers in southern NSW. As one of the earliest Ryrie-owned properties it provides evidence of the changing fortunes of the Ryrie family and the growth of their prominence in southern NSW.

Arnprior is of State significance for its ability to demonstrate the operation of early colonial pastoral properties with assigned convict labour and use of local Aboriginal labour, as demonstrated through the mix of homestead, early sheds and potential archaeological evidence of convict housing associated with the property.

Arnprior is a Locally representative example of early colonial settlements in NSW, retaining its original homestead and a range of archaeological remains and landscape features associated with early occupation. This significance has been compromised however through the loss of all of the original outbuildings, as well as intrusive alterations to the homestead itself. Despite these however, there is sufficient detail within the homestead to provide evidence of its earliest construction and subsequent phases of development, as well as early 19th to early 20th century vernacular construction techniques generally.

The property has State significance for its landscape qualities. The grouping of the homestead on the rise amongst a setting of large mature conifers, with cleared paddocks around Gilberts Creek and the ruin of the shearing shed, evoke the earliest days of settlement within southern NSW, particularly when viewed from Mayfield Road.
Date significance updated: 29 Jul 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Builder/Maker: William Ryrie
Construction years: 1827-
Physical description: The property is accessed from Mayfield Road along a gravel drive. Near to this intersection is the former township of Larbert, and within the Arnprior boundary are the stone foundations of a former church, small cemetery and several mature pine trees. A cottage with attic roof and the ruin of a single storey structure just outside the Arnprior boundary are also likely to be part of the former township of Larbert.

The homestead of Arnprior is set on a plateau overlooking expansive plains and grazing country to the east and toward the Shoalhaven River, the land gently sloping up to the rear. Directly in front of the residence are the remains of an early orchard, yucca sp. and a grouping of mature radiata pines. Outbuildings and other mature cultural plantings are located to the west and south of the homestead.

The Arnprior property comprises the following elements:
Homestead (c1830)
Cottage (1970s)
Outbuildings and cattleyards
Church footings and cemetery
Landscaping

HOMESTEAD (c1830)
Arnprior Homestead is reputed to have been constructed between 1827 and 1830. The earliest parts of the homestead would appear to be the four central rooms located under a double hip roof. This section has timber framed with beaded weatherboard walls and two central rubble stone chimneys. Rubble stone (rendered) additions on either side possibly date from the c1840s. Other later additions and alterations, and major internal alterations include wall relining c1920s and c1980s; and c1970s verandah enclosures, kitchen fitout, shower and lavatory facilities within the eastern enclosed verandah. The eastern verandah is enclosed with modern profile steel sheeting and later windows and fibre cement internal linings. The various construction stages are legible in the roof line, as no attempt has been made to consolidate and form one roof. As such the roof is a mixture of double hip, and skillion roof forms, and is clad with corrugated iron, although the original timber shingles to the central double hip roofs remain beneath. In addition to the two central chimneys, two other similar chimneys are located at the northern and southern side of the homestead. The rubble masonry walls have been roughcast externally and plastered internally.

Internally many of the original lath and plaster walls have been lined over in the 1920s or recently removed. The original ceilings of lath and plaster have fallen away and were relined in the 1920s and again in the 1980s. A number of walls have been exposed, and internally the timber stud frame walls show evidence of original lath and plaster as well as early wallpaper coverings. Original floorboards remain. One early cedar chimney piece remains, while other chimney pieces have been either removed or replaced with modern face brick surrounds. There is other evidence of early skirting and dado and picture rails behind later wall linings. A hand carved cedar door architrave remains to the original front door, and features a distinctive thistle motif. All window joinery is later, apart from original but altered window sashes to the weatherboard walls. A cellar is located under the southern 1840s addition to the homestead, and has granite walls, dirt floor and the remains of a lathe and plaster ceiling. Many of the locks are later possibly c1920s. Evidence remains of the evolution of the building through its present exposed structure.

The eastern verandah has a later concrete floor covering original stone flags. The original verandah posts have been replaced with steel poles, however the original verandah beam remains in place.

Stabilisation works including window, roof, drainage, render and other propping works were completed on the building August 1995.

A random rubble wall located in the north-west corner of the homestead relates to a previous wing of the house.

COTTAGE (1970s)
A small c1970s prefabricated cottage is located some 200m to the south of the homestead. This is a simple timber framed and weatherboard clad building that is set on a red brick base, with a gable roof of corrugated iron. Externally the building fabric appears sound, although external paintwork has largely peeled away and roof drainage items are missing.

Internally the cottage comprises of several small bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and open lounge/dining area. The interior appears to be undergoing refurbishment, with new kitchen fitout and paintwork generally.

OUTBUILDINGS AND CATTLEYARDS
Outbuildings at Arnprior include a machinery shed, garage and hayshed located to the rear (west) of the homestead. Of these the hayshed would appear to be the earliest, and has a bush pole framed construction with corrugated iron roof and wall sheeting. There is no evidence of a former shearing shed or sheep runs located behind the hayshed, save for a pile of aged timber. Metal cattle yards adjacent to the hayshed are modern. A second hayshed is located on the eastern side of Mayfield Road and has a similar bush pole and corrugated iron construction.

The machinery shed is a steel framed shed, open on one side, with modern metal profile wall and roof sheeting. Adjacent a former garage is timber framed and has modern metal sheeting to walls and corrugated iron to the roof. A timber framed skillion addition on one side is partially collapsed.

A late 20th century corrugated iron shearing shed is located some 500m to the north of the house. This shearing shed is in a largely dilapidated state, with the collapse of the western end of the shed and loss of much of the corrugated iron wall sheeting.

CHURCH FOOTINGS AND LARBERT CEMETERY
Located near to the entrance to Arnprior on Mayfield Road, are the rubble stone footings and concrete entrance steps of a small rectangular former church. On either side are two mature pine trees, which may be contemporary with the church.

A small cemetery is located on the rise behind the former church, which includes marble and sandstone headstones for members of the Roberts, Bassingthwaighte and Stephens’s families who died at the end of the 19th and first decades of the 20th centuries. The headstones are generally in fair condition.

LANDSCAPING
The immediate area around the homestead and outbuildings contains several mature plantings, including remains of former orchard, yucca sp and group of radiata pines in front of the homestead; rows of mature conifers to the south and west of the homestead complex as well as substantial poplars. Immediately behind the homestead complex is a series of cleared paddocks, which rise to form a small ridge with natural bush land setting.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Poor
Date condition updated:30 Jul 09
Modifications and dates: See Physical Description
Further information: The property has high archaeological potential.

The curtilage is known to contain archaeological evidence associated with the township of Larbert and occupation of the Ryrie grant from the 1820s, along with evidence of an early road between Larbert and Mayfield.

A former road easement runs north-south through the property immediately to the west of the main house. This road appears on maps as early as the 1840s, but is possibly earlier, given the area was settled in the 1820s. It connects to the former road easement on Mayfield adjacent to the hut sites found along Mullens Creek. The road appears to connect Larbert and the Boro area and on to Lake Bathurst.

Adjacent to the road and to the south-west of the main homestead there is a linear area (running north-south) of disturbed land with scatters of artefacts (including mid-eighteenth century ceramics), sand stock brick and possible stone footings. This is the most likely location for convict huts and later worker accommodation. The northern most end of this linear feature has been recently ploughed, which has thrown up artefacts and building materials. The concentration of local stone (some of it river stone) in this area indicates the buildings may have been stone, or at least built on stone footings. Other homesteads in the area show a pattern of stone buildings and timber buildings with local stone foundations.

Other archaeological remains of potential accommodation buildings were noted to the south-west and north-west of the abandoned shearing shed to the north of the homestead, across the other side of the Gilberts Creek to the north of the homestead. These have also been disturbed by recent ploughing activity. The remains to the south-west appear to be twentieth century building materials, while the remains to the north appear earlier. The scatters of material include: sandstock brick, dry-pressed brick, concrete conglomerate, small blocks and boulders of local granite, nineteenth and twentieth century ceramics, metal and a grove of small introduced shrubs.

The main homestead building is also likely to yield archaeological evidence. The footings of the demolished two-storey stone wing to the rear are still visible in the garden. There are also likely to be remnant footings of some of the original outbuildings including the kitchen, laundry and stables in the area currently occupied by modern sheds and garages. Deeper features such as wells and privies should also survive. A large circular depression approximately 3m in diameter to the west of the rows of large conifers at the rear of the modern sheds, may be evidence of a large well or cistern. Despite the amount of work done to the homestead in the twentieth century there is still the possibility nineteenth century artefact deposits remain in and around the house.

It is also possible that there will be some evidence of an Aboriginal camp in the vicinity. This may possibly be within the original Arnprior land grant, but more likely immediately outside near the creek to the west of the homestead. This area is currently owned by SCA and forms part of Arnprior. Archaeological evidence may include artefact scatters. Evidence of structural remains is unlikely to have survived, but some evidence of campsites may remain if the area has been largely undisturbed during the twentieth century.
Current use: Farming
Former use: Farming

History

Historical notes: Arnprior has associations with the Ryrie family, dating to the 1820s. Scottish-born Stewart Ryrie (1778-1852) immigrated to Australia in 1825 on board the Triton with his second wife Isabella Ryrie nee Cassels and the six children from his first marriage. Ryrie’s two eldest sons were William (born c1805) and James (born c1806). Stewart Ryrie had served as a Deputy Assistant Commissary General in the British Army during the Peninsula War in 1808-15, stationed in Spain and Portugal.

On arrival to Sydney in October 1825, Ryrie took up an appointment as the Deputy Assistant Commissary General, based at the Commissariat Stores at Circular Quay.

On 22 September 1826, William and James Ryrie wrote to the Colonial Secretary Alexander Macleay, stating their intention to ‘reside on the Land to be granted to us’ as they were unable to find suitable work in Sydney (Edwards 2007: 16). In c1827, William Ryrie was granted Portion 4 of the Parish of Larbert in the County of Murray. Ryrie’s grant encompassed 2560 acres and was a roughly rectangular parcel of land located to the north of the Shoalhaven River and to the north-east of the Village of Larbert. It appears that Ryrie’s grant had earlier been occupied by a William Bradbury.

It appears that Bradbury held a Ticket of Occupation for the land he had been living on at Curraduck-bidgee (Kurraducbidgee) prior to 1826. (Edwards 2007: 17). ‘Bradbury’s Station’ is shown on Robert Hoddle’s 1824 map of the Braidwood District, roughly in the vicinity of Ryrie’s grant. Bradbury later moved to the Bungonia area.

William Ryrie’s land grant was named Arnprior in memory of Isabella Ryrie nee Cassels’s family home in Scotland.

The 1828 Census indicates that a house on William’s 2560-acre land grant, Arnprior, was under construction at this time, as was a house on his brother James’s grant Durran Durra. The Census recorded that there were 18 people living at Arnprior including workforce of eleven (ten of whom were convicts or ex-convicts). It also recorded that there were 35 acres of cleared land and 23 acres cultivated land at Arnprior, compared to one acre cultivated and cleared land at Durran Durra. Arnprior had 553 head of cattle and 1100 sheep, while Durran Durra had 75 cattle and 540 sheep. (Edwards 2007: 17).

The house on William’s land holding faced the Shoalhaven River, but was set back from it, possibly because the river was known to regularly flood. Physical inspection of the house suggests that it began modestly (comprising four rooms) and was added to over the nineteenth century to accommodate the extended Ryrie family. The house eventually had thirteen rooms.

Stewart Ryrie retired in 1829. The following year, he arrived at Arnprior to live with his wife Isabella and their three young children: John Cassels (b.1826), Alexander (b.1827) and David (b.1829), and it became the family home. William’s younger brothers Donald, then 18 years old, and Stewart, aged 16, also lived at Arnprior. (Tallaganda Rural Heritage Study 1992; Edwards 2007: 18).

Another resident at Arnprior in the 1830s was the Greek-born shepherd Ghikas Boulgaris (aka Jigger Bulgary) who was married to Mary Lyons at the property in 1836. Their two youngest children, Xanthe and Catherine, were born at Arnprior.

In 1837, William Ryrie advised the Governor on the best routes and staging posts for a postal service between Melbourne and Sydney (Griffiths 1976: 39; Ellis 1989: 34).

In January 1840, the Arnprior land grant was formalised. The 1841 census showed that 48 people were living at Arnprior and Durran Durra in that year. The two properties had been amalgamated following the death of James Ryrie in 1840. (Edwards 2007: 19).

In 1845, William Ryrie travelled to Scotland where he married his step-mother’s sister Marianne Cassels (Griffiths 1976: 39). Although he returned to Australia in the interim, William died in Scotland in 1856. (Edwards 2007: 74).

In 1852, Stewart Ryrie Snr died. His second youngest son Alexander managed the property until c1859, at which time he moved to the property he had purchased near Canberra named Micalago (National Library of Australia News July 1996, Vol. 1 No. 10, pp. 3-5: http://www.nla.gov.au/pub/nlanews/1996/jul96/story-1.pdf)

Major floods hit the Braidwood and Queanbeyan districts in August 1853. The Hobart Courier reported that the ‘government township of Larbert was … under water, presenting the appearance of another Gundagai’ and that Arnprior was also ‘surrounded by the flood, but as it stands on higher ground than the opposite side, it escaped destruction’ (Hobart Courier, 8 August 1853: 2).

The house at Arnprior ‘extended hospitality to the travellers on the track from Goulburn and Bungonia’ through to Braidwood, who ‘arrived late at night or were held up by floods at the adjacent ford over the Shoalhaven (Ellis 1989: 34). In 1853, Samuel Mossman and Thomas Bannister published their account of travelling through NSW and Victoria, at which time they visited Braidwood and Arnprior: ‘Further on you come to Arnprior, the estate of Mr. Ryrie in the county of Murray, on the Shoalhaven River, about 152 miles from Sydney. Here there is a considerable quantity of land enclosed, but the property is not highly esteemed; gold has been found upon it, however; and we sincerely hope that it will ultimately be of great value to its possessors.’ (Mossman and Bannister 1853: 182).

The Ryrie grant was bisected by a road leading directly north from Braidwood to Bungonia. This road passed directly through the Ryrie property, across the ford at Larbert on the Shoalhaven River and another ford on the Boro Creek, passing through Mayfield and alongside Glen D’Or. There is some suggestion that this was a Cobb and Co route. In the south-west portion of the original Arnprior grant lies a road easement leading to Lake Bathurst through Mayfield (Map of the Parish of Larbert 1924, NLA: http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-vn4274945).

The 1867 Postal Directory recorded that Mrs M A Ryrie, Helen, Anne, and John Ryrie were residing at Arnprior. These were the wife and children of William Ryrie. Alexander Ryrie purchased the property from his brother John Cassels in either 1867 or 1876. (Gary Dutaillis & Associates Pty Ltd 1991: np; Edwards 2007: 19).

By the late nineteenth century, the extended Ryrie family had moved away from Arnprior, to the Monaro district and to Port Philip (Melbourne). In 1902, the property passed out of the Ryrie family when it was sold to Frank M W Cooper. He in turn sold to John Welsh in 1906. One of Alexander’s sons, Vincent, repurchased Arnprior in 1928. It appears that Vincent Ryrie retained Arnprior until the 1950s, at which time it passed through a number of hands: first it was sold to William Hyde, who sold to J B Hibberson, who in turn sold to G L Gouge. (Gary Dutaillis & Associates Pty Ltd 1991: np).

In 1968, the Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board proposed a scheme, known as the Shoalhaven Scheme, to supply water to Sydney and the South Coast. The proposed Welcome Reef Dam on the upper Shoalhaven River, in the vicinity of Braidwood, was to be part of the second stage of this scheme.

From 1968 through to the mid 1980s, the Water Board set about purchasing privately owned pastoral holdings in the area between Braidwood and Goulburn for the proposed Welcome Reef Dam and catchment area, eventually acquiring 37,000 acres. Arnprior was resumed by the State Government on behalf of the Metropolitan Water Sewerage and Drainage Board at this time.

The boundaries of the original land grant to William Ryrie have altered considerably since c1827. Today, the original Arnprior grant has been halved; but it now includes 261 acres of land granted to F H R Martin (Portion 221 of the Parish of Larbert) and part of 80 acres originally owned by John Cassels (Portion 53 in the Parish of Larbert). Arnprior also includes part of the Village of Larbert, namely the church and the cemetery.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Aboriginal cultures and interactions with other cultures-Activities associated with maintaining, developing, experiencing and remembering Aboriginal cultural identities and practices, past and present. (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Exploration-Activities associated with making places previously unknown to a cultural group known to them. (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Arnprior has State heritage significance under this criterion.

Arnprior has historic significance as one of the earliest land grants in the Shoalhaven River area, which retains physical evidence of the earliest settlement on the property in the form of the homestead and archaeological evidence dating from c1830. The property is able to demonstrate patterns of land allocation and use in southern NSW, particularly the granting of land to early free settlers and the surveying of roads and town reserves in the settled districts in the 1820s and 30s. The property also has the potential to demonstrate the operation of early colonial pastoral properties with its assigned convict labour and use of local Aboriginal labour.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Arnprior has Local heritage significance under this criterion.

Arnprior is directly associated with the notable Ryrie family. The Ryries were key pioneering settlers in southern NSW, known particularly around the Snowy Mountains area. Their first major landholding in Australia was at Arnprior, and tells of the changing fortunes and rising prominence of the Ryrie family in comparison to their later properties. Arnprior still retains evidence associated with the early Ryrie occupation of the property including the main homestead with its carved thistle motif over the front door.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Arnprior has State heritage significance under this criterion.

The grouping of the main homestead on the rise with the cleared paddocks around Gilberts Creek, the large plantings of conifers around the house and the ruin of the shearing shed to the north present a pleasing Australian rural landscape, particularly when viewed from Mayfield Road. The original form of the house within the cleared home paddocks is able to evoke the earliest days of settlement within the region of southern NSW with the views from Mayfield Road remaining much as they would have appeared to early travellers in the district.

The homestead has technical significance as an example of a colonial rural homestead, although this significance has been compromised by later intrusive modifications. Despite these however, there is sufficient detail within the homestead to provide evidence of its earliest construction and subsequent phases of development, as well as early 19th to early 20th century vernacular construction techniques generally. The cedar door architrave with thistle motif is a detail distinctive to Arnprior, and provides physical evidence of the importance to the Ryrie family to demonstrate their ancestry at their new home at Arnprior.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The social significance of Arnprior has not been formally assessed through community consultation. However, it is likely that the property would retain significance to the Ryrie family, a family of note in the history of NSW, as the first family property in Southern NSW, as well as the local historical society and potentially people throughout the State with an interest in early colonial architecture and settlement patterns.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Arnprior has potential State heritage significance under this criterion.

Archaeological evidence associated with early colonial occupation of NSW is becoming increasingly rare. In particular, little archaeological work has been undertaken into the system of convict housing and work in rural areas, outside the confines of established secondary prisons, asylums and concentrated convict settlements in townships such as Parramatta and Port Macquarie. Arnprior has the potential to reveal information about the lives and works of assigned convicts that is not available in written records.

The main homestead building also has considerable research potential. Little has been found in historic records about the original construction or the numerous changes made to the building throughout its life. Layers of fabric associated with these changes are likely to remain and add to our knowledge of the various stages of development at the property and early nineteenth century building techniques.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Arnprior has State heritage significance under this criterion.

Arnprior contains a range of architectural and archaeological evidence from the earliest days of European settlement in southern NSW. Although there are a number of early homesteads remaining in the southern tablelands, Arnprior is particularly early and retains an unusual range of evidence including the remains of the village of Larbert, church and cemetery, and potentially convict housing associated with Arnprior itself.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Arnprior has Local heritage significance under this criterion. Arnprior is representative of early colonial settlements in southern NSW, retaining its original homestead and a range of archaeological remains and landscape features associated with the early occupation. It is not an exceptional representative example as it has lost all of its original outbuildings and there have been a number of intrusive changes to the main house.
Integrity/Intactness: Arnprior has a moderate degree of integrity. It has remnant elements of the original 1820s landscape including the main homestead, cleared home paddocks, orchard and early road remains as well as archaeological evidence of early staff accommodation and the remains of Larbert township. The property has lost all of its original outbuildings although some archaeological evidence of these may remain. The archaeological evidence throughout the property is likely to retain a moderate to high degree of integrity although there is evidence of some recent disturbance due to ploughing.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Recommended Management: Manage the place and its components in accordance with the NSW Heritage Office Management Principles and Guidelines for NSW Agencies including the Minimum Standards of Maintenance and Repair. Recommended Management: Undertake environmental impact assessment (EIA) when planning works on the site (refer to SCA's EIA Policy). Prepare a Statement of Heritage Impact and gain S60 or S140 Heritage Office approval prior to undertaking any non-exempt works on the site. Recommended Management: Prepare a property plan for the land surrounding the homestead complex which include hazard reduction strategies. Recommended Management: Carry out annual condition inspections and report condition in SCA annual report. Recommended Management: Consult experienced heritage practitioners and the SCA's Planning and Assessments Team during the preparation and execution of works to the place.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0135718 Nov 99   
Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register 452387   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Sydney Water Heritage Study1996452387Graham Brooks and Associates Pty LtdGRAHAM BROOKS AND ASSOCIATES PTY LTD 1 JULY 1996 Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenDepartment of Commerce2009SCA Braidwood Properties Statement of Significance
WrittenGary Dutaillis and Associates Pty Ltd1991Assessment of Cultural Significance and Conservation Options Arnprior Homestead Braidwood
WrittenIntegrated Design Associates Arnprior Homestead Conservation Management Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5051467
File number: 452387


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.