Shop and Residence | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Shop and Residence

Item details

Name of item: Shop and Residence
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Retail and Wholesale
Category: Shop
Location: Lat: -33.8619110141 Long: 151.2060423264
Primary address: 182 Cumberland Street, The Rocks, NSW 2000
Parish: St Philip
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Sydney
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP1030181
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
182 Cumberland StreetThe RocksSydneySt PhilipCumberlandPrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Sydney Harbour Foreshore AuthorityState Government 

Statement of significance:

This shop and residence and site are of State heritage significance for their historical and scientific cultural values. The site and building are also of State heritage significance for their contribution to The Rocks area which is of State Heritage significance in its own right (see item no. 4500458).

The building is part of the Rocks Conservation Area and, as such, contributes to the overall character and interpretation of the area. It is one of the few remaining corner shops and residences within the area. It is representative of government-designed worker housing from the pre-World War I period. It is an example of the work of a well-known architect Walter Liberty Vernon. It is an excellent example of small-scale Classic Free Style Edwardian architecture and one of the most intact of such buildings in The Rocks (the others being the former morgue in George Street, the facade of the Brooklyn Hotel and the facade of the former Chamber of Commerce building on the corner of George and Grosvenor Streets). (Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 24)

High Significance Fabric: Brick walls; shop fronts; windows and doors; former shop and former store; former sitting room; WC; ceiling, floor boards and brick wall of enclosed verandah; former three bedrooms; bathroom; linen room; stair hall; former laundry; former entry hall (except door). Medium Significance Fabric: Small flight of stairs to staircase landing (former shop & former store); timber shelves (former laundry); concrete floor, plastered brick walls, ceiling, cornice and window of part of former back porch; new gutters, new downpipe at east elevation. Low Significance Fabric: Copper downpipes; new slate roof and metal roof; WC pan; wall basin (part of former back (Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 25-29)
Date significance updated: 26 Jun 02
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Walter Liberty Vernon (Government Architect) & E. L. Drew (Assistant Architect)
Construction years: 1911-1912
Physical description: The two storey building at the corner of Cumberland and Essex Streets has brick parapet walls, with a slate roof behind. The part of the building on the corner is grander, with stepped sandstone lintels above the shop entry and windows and sandstone keystones above the first floor arched windows. The lower part of the building facing Essex Street features an arched brick entry doorway and does not have a parapet.
Style: Classic Free Style Edwardian; Facade: Brick; Internal Walls: Plastered brick walls; Roof Cladding: Slate
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Archaeology Assessment Condition: Partly disturbed. Assessment Basis: Terraced into hill slope.
Date condition updated:27 Apr 01
Modifications and dates: On 26 January 1967 the Council of the City of Sydney approved alterations to the building. The drawings were prepared by architect G Rae clearly show that the building had remained substantially intact from 1912 until 1966. In G Rae's alterations to the ground floor the original recessed corner entry was removed and replaced with a plate glass window, the walls around the store room behind the shop were demolished, the stairs down to the Essex St. level were demolished. On the first floor the brick walls around the south bedroom were removed. (Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 18)
1995-96: Conservation works were undertaken on the building, to restore the its former use as a shop and residence. (SCRA Annual Report 1996:25)
Current use: Shop and residence
Former use: Shop and residence

History

Historical notes: Early maps of the area show a rectangular building located at the corner of Cumberland and Essex Streets as early as 1832. Rate books for the Council of the City of Sydney list a two-roomed, stone building with a shingled roof. The building was described as a house in rate books in 1852 but in 1853 was described as a shop with a 'bake house at the back'. The land was transferred to the Surveyor-General on 9 May 1834 and granted on 30 June 1834 to Aaron Byrne and Joseph Moss. On 13 February 1852 the property was sold to Samuel Watson, a grocer of Sydney.

At some time after the resumption of the property in 1902 by the NSW Government and prior to the construction of the present building in 1911/1912 the existing stone shop and house was demolished. This most likely occurred just prior to the construction of the present building as confectioner, Anders P Johnson is listed as the occupant of the building in 1907 and also from 1913 to 1918. The existing shop and dwelling at 182 Cumberland Street was designed in 1911 and possibly being completed in 1912. The original working drawings of the proposed scheme located in the Archives Office of NSW were signed by W L Vernon Government Architect on 2 March 1911 and by E L Drew Assistant Architect on 3 March 1911.
(Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 5-12)

The building remained little changed until 1966, when some changes were proposed by the then owner, the Maritime Services Board. Prior to the conservation works undertaken in 1995-96, the building became derelict and was boarded up for some time. The building is now used as a shop and residence.

Archaeology Notes: granted as Lot 1, Section 64 to Aaron Byrne and Joseph Moss, executors of the will of Elizabeth Moss, 6 September 1834.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Accommodation-Activities associated with the provision of accommodation, and particular types of accommodation – does not include architectural styles – use the theme of Creative Endeavour for such activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
This shop and residence and site are of State heritage significance for their historical and scientific cultural values. The site and building are also of State heritage significance for their contribution to The Rocks area which is of State Heritage significance in its own right (see item no. 4500458).

The building is part of the Rocks Conservation Area and, as such, contributes to the overall character and interpretation of the area. It is one of the few remaining corner shops and residences within the area.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
It is an example of the work of a well-known architect Walter Liberty Vernon. It is an excellent example of small-scale Classic Free Style Edwardian architecture and one of the most intact of such buildings in The Rocks (the others being the former morgue in George Street, the facade of the Brooklyn Hotel and the facade of the former Chamber of Commerce building on the corner of George and Grosvenor Streets). (Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 24)

High Significance Fabric: Brick walls; shop fronts; windows and doors; former shop and former store; former sitting room; WC (except smashed WC pan); ceiling, floor boards and brick wall of enclosed verandah; former three bedrooms; bathroom; linen room; stair hall; former laundry; former entry hall (except door). Medium Significance Fabric: Small flight of stairs to staircase landing (former shop & former store); timber shelves (former laundry); concrete floor, plastered brick walls, ceiling, cornice and window of part of former back porch; new gutters, new downpipe at east elevation. Low Significance Fabric: Copper downpipes; new slate roof and metal roof; WC pan; wall basin (part of former back (Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 25-29)
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
It is representative of government-designed worker housing from the pre-World War I period.
Integrity/Intactness: Archaeology partly disturbed.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

The Statement of Cultural Significance should be accepted as the basis for future conservation of the place. The approach and options recommended for the conservation of specific fabric, spaces, qualities and effects (Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 24-29) be endorsed as a guide to future work. All work involving disturbance of the site should be carried out under and archaeological watching brief and will require and Excavation Permit prior to commencement. All archaeological investigation and monitoring should be carried out by a qualified archaeologist approved by the Heritage Council of NSW. Ongoing management of the place should include the preparation of a maintenance plan for the future conservation of the cultural significance of the place. Conservation and other works should be undertaken under the supervision of a qualified conservation practitioner. Assessment of cultural significance and consequent decisions on conservation policy should be modified if necessary in the light of further information obtained during conservation work. A decision on use should be determined by the SHFA in the light of cultural significance of the place and a management plan prepared. The conservation policy should be reviewed once the use of the place is determined, and thereafter at regular intervals (such as every seven years). (Robertson & Hindmarsh 1994: 37-38) Above ground archaeological remains: An archaeological watching brief or monitoring program is recommended. Below ground archaeological remains: An historical and archaeological assessment prior to archaeological investigation is recommended.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0158110 May 02 852865

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
SCA Register 1979-19981998B017, AR123Sydney Cove Authority (SCA)  Yes

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1991The Rocks and Millers Point Archaeological Management Plan
WrittenRobertson & Hindmarsh P/L Architects1994Conservation Plan of & Re-use Options for 182 Cumberland Street, The Rocks

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5053197


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.