Up-To-Date Store and Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Up-To-Date Store and Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery

Item details

Name of item: Up-To-Date Store and Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery
Other name/s: Up To Date Store
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Retail and Wholesale
Category: Shop
Location: Lat: -34.8129925214 Long: 147.1999273250
Primary address: 127-129 Cowabbie Street, Coolamon, NSW 2701
Parish: Kindra
County: Bourke
Local govt. area: Coolamon
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Wagga Wagga
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT69DP758277
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
127-129 Cowabbie StreetCoolamonCoolamonKindraBourkePrimary Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Coolamon Shire CouncilLocal Government 

Statement of significance:

The Up To Date Store, an excellent example of a middle-sized country general store of the early twentieth century, is of state significance. It is in an exceptionally intact state for a store fitted out in 1909 despite the loss of some elements of the internal fit out. Associated with the store, and also of state significance, is the Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery which is one of the finest collections of its type in New South Wales.

The surviving shop fittings such as counters, benches and shelving; the open spaces of the two main rooms in the store; the intact partitioning creating smaller rooms at the rear of the store; the exposed roof trusses and varnished ceiling boards; the window show cases; the original timber floor with its evidence of wear patterns, and the verandahs on Cowabbie and Loughnan Streets are all integral elements contributing to this value. The store is significant for the legibility of its various spaces and rooms which highlights the different aspects of the retail business of a country general store, the comprehensive nature of the services it provided, and the society of the period. One element of the store's fit out, the Lamson Cash Carrier, is a rare surviving example of this early cash management system. It is unique in New South Wales in that it is still in its original location.

The rear skillion extension, the north shed (built after 1932 to replace the original stables) and the yard area are significant in continuing the spatial arrangement of the site that has existed since at least 1909.

The Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery, (housed in the north and north-western sheds), represents one of the finest collections of its kind in New South Wales. The location of this collection on the site of the Up To Date Store reinforces the historic connection between the Up To Date Store and the agricultural development of the district whereby the store itself, (and its owner Nicholas Mutton through his other enterprises), played an important role in supplying goods and equipment to the farmers of the district and purchasing the local produce. The collection is rare for its largely original condition, its fully documented provenance and its cohesiveness, being mostly sourced from the Coolamon area and the family properties of Garth Jones. The collection demonstrates important themes in the agricultural history of the district and aspects of rural life such as water, land clearing, horse power, wheat, fencing and transport. Garth Jones's commentary provides a personal and insightful narrative to the collection, telling stories about working on the land. After the store closed in 1932, its sheds were used for the repair of farm tools and machinery. An in situ forge in the north shed, together with items in the Garth Jones collection related to blacksmithing, interprets this work and draws connections between the Up To Date Store and the farming enterprise of the district it serviced.
Date significance updated: 15 May 06
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: William John Monks
Builder/Maker: George Henry Mutch
Construction years: 1909-1909
Physical description: The Up To Date Store site includes the main store building with skillion roofed extension, and sheds to the north and north-west. The east and part of the south boundary is formed by a modern corrugated iron fence which encloses the rear service yard. The Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery (housed in the north and north-western sheds) represents one of the finest collections of its kind in New South Wales.

STORE BUILDING
The store is sited on the corner of Cowabbie and Loughnan Streets, Coolamon. It has two main facades addressing the street frontages with a wide, timber-framed and corrugated iron-roofed wrap-around verandah. The store is constructed of brick with a timber framed roof sheeted with corrugated iron, timber doors and windows.

The parapet features a rendered cornice, stucco finish above the cornice and a rendered moulding at the top of the parapet. Within the parapet are smooth rendered panels for signage. The parapet includes short vertical projections at intervals along its length, and the central section is formed into a curvilinear pediment. The easternmost vertical projection is also a chimney.

At the corner, the store is chamfered in plan with the corner entrance doors and above which is the focal feature of the parapet. This feature is styled similar to the southern elevation parapet but has a more prominent pediment rising to a small obelisk. The body of this section of the parapet has a blind arch element which is smooth rendered inside for signage. The date '1909' surmounts this.

The Store Building is an example of the Federation Free Style (the style dates from about 1890 until about 1915) and displays the following key features: prominent skyline feature, (especially the corner parapet element) and strongly contrasting materials, textures or colours, (such as the brickwork and rendered bands and parapet). Other features of the style displayed by the building include: projecting corner tower feature, (though in this case it is a corner projection of the parapet rather than a three dimensional feature); curvilinear parapet features; circular recess in the corner parapet element, and Art Nouveau motif in the verandah post brackets.

The store's interior has two large main spaces with three minor partitioned rooms and a short corridor at the rear of the building. The interior brick walls are painted and there are timber internal walls. The floor is timber as are the counters, benches and shelves. Rooms 1 and 2 originally had mirror fit outs. Room 1 contains its original counters and benches and most of its shelving (though not in their original locations). Room 2 contain one of its original four counters and many of its benches and shelving.

The store features the substantial surviving components of a Lamson Cash Carrier system that was gravity- operated with hollow wooden balls rolling down an inclined track. The system allowed money to be collected at four counters inside the store which would then be sent to an office for safekeeping and where, if necessary, change would be issued and sent back to the counter staff for delivery to a customer. The system operated between Rooms 1 and 2, (where sales would have been made at the counters), and Room 5 (where money would have been collected and change provided). The system is not operational, but could easily be made so. There are four pairs of tracks. All of the track system survives in Room 1 and about half in Room 2. Only one (of the original two) delivery/loading mechanisms is in place in each of Rooms 1 and 2. Room 1 contains a second disassembled delivery/loading mechanism. Room 5 contains intact delivery/loading mechanisms for all four tracks. Council holds several timber balls.

The north shed (that replaced the original stables after 1932) has early, possible original, components as well as later repairs and alterations. It contains an early blacksmith's forge. The north-western shed was built in 1998 and replaced an original timber and iron shed located in the present garden area.

GARTH JONES COLLECTION: NORTH AND NORTH-WESTERN SHEDS
The Garth Jones collection includes agricultural equipment, wagons, sulkies, fences, gates, an improvised wooden trough, plough, wheat pickler, wind mill, water cart, horse and bullock harnesses and other tools. The two wagons are highlights of the collection, being in exceptional condition. They were always kept in the shed and have retained most of their original paintwork. The collection is rare for its largely original condition, its fully documented provenance and its cohesiveness, being mostly sourced from the Coolamon area and the family properties of Garth Jones. The collection demonstrates important themes in the agricultural history of the district, such as water, land clearing, horse power, wheat, fencing and transport. Garth Jones's commentary provides a personal and insightful narrative to the collection, telling stories about working on the land. There is extensive supporting documentation and historic photographs of the properties and family life on the farm. The collection demonstrates the kind of farming enterprise the store serviced in the district.

The contents of the Garth Jones Collection have been catalogued. A copy of the catalogue is retained on file at the Heritage Office at H04/00016.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Physical Condition is good.
Date condition updated:22 Aug 03
Modifications and dates: 1932 Rear weatherboard skillion extension replaced with current timber-framed and iron skillion extension.

1932 North shed built (timber-framed and iron) on the site of the original stables.

1998 Original timber work and storage shed fronting Cowabbie Street demolished.

1998 New north-western shed built (steel-framed and iron) set back from Cowabbie Street with a garden in front.
Current use: Council-owned community facility and museum; proposed library, cultural facility
Former use: Shop

History

Historical notes: The history of the Up To Date Store is tied to the development of the township of Coolamon and the wheat industry of the surrounding district. Much of the store's business during its period of operation from 1909 to 1932 was supplying farmers with equipment and domestic goods and purchasing wheat and other local farm produce. The health of the rural economy of the district accounted for the success of the store. It closed in 1932, the worst year of the 1929-1935 depression.

The genesis of Coolamon township (gazetted on 3rd October 1881) lay in the construction of the Junee-Narrandera railway, completed that year, that opened up the south-western districts of NSW to wheat growing. Coolamon began life as 'Cowabbie' siding (on the road to Cowabbie Station). The township, laid out where the Wyalong Road crossed the railway line, was on the boundaries of the Kittegora, Coolamon Holes and Kindra Creek runs (Robertson 1994: 3). In the township's early years the railway station serviced a thriving timber industry but the primary catalyst for Coolamon's growth was the development of the wheat industry. Wheat dominated the agriculture of the Coolamon district and there was markedly increased wheat production (due to genetic advances in wheat-breeding and superphosphate use) in the period between the end of the crippling drought of 1895-1903 and World War I. In 1905 over 100,000 bags of wheat were despatched from Coolamon railway station. Coolamon's population trebled in two decades, reaching around 600 by 1906. The main street (Cowabbie Street) was on the stock route to Wagga Wagga and its 60.3 m width was designed to accommodate the wheat wagons. Coolamon's stores, hotels and offices lined Cowabbie Street on both sides, leading up the hill from the railway station. Building renewal was frequent, following major fires in 1912 and 1918.

The land on which the Up To Date Store is located, at the corner of Cowabbie and Loughnan Streets, was bought by Nicholas Mutton in 1908 and remained in Mutton family ownership until 1987. It was bought by Coolamon Shire Council in 1998 (Title search, Coolamon Shire Council). None of the store operators during the life of the store (1909-32) owned the property but operated their businesses there on lease. The history of the Up To Date Store demonstrates the interconnection of retail interests within Coolamon and with the neighbouring town of Ganmain.

A store has existed on the Up To Date store site from 1883. By 1893 it was a weatherboard building facing Cowabbie Street run by Frederick Hall that was referred to as the Up To Date Store in advertisements and newspaper reports, thought it did not display this name on its facade. The term 'up to date' was a very common commercial descriptor of goods and services at the time (Up To Date Store, Coolamon, Draft Conservation Management Plan, M Pearson, D Marshall, L Young, 1999, pp. 2 - 4).

Hall's store was taken over in September 1907 by Harold Charles Nadin (manager of Hall's drapery department until 1906 then briefly a partner in the general store at 104 Cowabbie Street), F. Alcock (newly arrived in Coolamon) and William Denoon (Hall's former 'confidential secretary').

The Up-To-Date Store land and property was bought by Nicholas Mutton on 23 May 1908. Mutton entered into a new lease with Nadin, Alcock and Denoon (a lease that he continued to renew with subsequent owners until the store ceased operation) (from annotations on the deeds).

Nicholas Mutton was most likely the instigator of the construction of the new Up-To-Date Store, presumably in liaison with the storekeepers. This proposal was presumably stimulated by the construction of an impressive two- storey brick store by Ashwood Brothers in Cowabbie Street in 1907, which replaced their old timber store. Ashwood Bros was the main competition for the Up-To-Date Store, and Hall's old premises were no match for the smart new Ashwood's emporium. Hence, perhaps, the emphasis on the increased use of the 'Up-To-Date' tag for the store and its advertisements, and the introduction of modern conveniences such as the Lamson Cash Carrier.

The Ashwood store, which still outshone even the new Up-To-Date Store as a streetscape edifice, did not long remain a competitor for customer attention as it was burnt down (together with several-other stores) in May 1912. Ashwoods moved into an existing timber store (formerly the D. Benjamin and Co. 'Railway Stores') lower down the hill, which was old and much smaller. This in turn was destroyed by fire in 1918 and a new store was built on the site of the original 1907 store. Though larger, this was closer in scale to the Up-To-Date Store and was eventually occupied by W.A. Iverach when he vacated the Up-To-Date Store in 1932. (See photos Robertson 1994: 25, 27, 28, 32, 36).

Nicholas Mutton (1872-1949), the owner of the Up-To-Date Store, was born in Truro, Cornwall, where his father was a butcher. He migrated to Australia in 1893 to join his uncle, Tom Lockett, as co-owner of his butchery at Coolamon. Mutton subsequently sold the butchery to become a stock dealer and from 1910 or 1912 started dealing in hay and chaff, establishing a chaff cutting plant in Coolamon. Mutton foresaw the likely drought of 1920, and bought up large amounts of hay, making substantial profits on its resale the following year. He was involved in several notorious dealings, one in 1914 leading to a Royal Commission to investigate alleged (but unproven) bribery of government officials, and another in 1936 when he lost substantial amounts of money as victim of a European land speculation fraud. Mutton's business operations were taken over by his sons Oswald and Nicholas in 1936 (Obituary, Coolamon-Ganmain Farmers Review [hereafter CGFR], 18/11/1949).

Work on the foundation trenches for the new Up To Date Store was reported underway in January 1909; the contractor, Mr G.H. Mutch was 'pushing ahead with the erection of Messrs Nadin, Alcock and Denoon's new store' in March; and by the end of July 1909 the new 'owners' were 'comfortably settled in their fine new store', Alcock's share having been acquired by W.A. Iverach several weeks earlier. (CGFR, 8/1/1909; 5/3/1909; 16/7/1909; 30/7/1909).

The new building is built of load-bearing brick and is clearly not a simple facading of the earlier building. It is highly likely that the bricks used in the construction of the new store were produced locally. Ashwood Brothers had four brick kilns operating in Coolamon in 1908, with orders in hand for 600,000 bricks. (CGFR 28/2/1908).

William John Monks, the architect of the new store, had one of the most successful and extensive architectural practices in country NSW. He was based in Wagga for over 40 years and designed buildings in practically every district in the southern half of the state. In the 1930s he was one of a team of architects employed by the brewery company, Tooth & Co (Obituary, Daily Advertiser, Wagga, July 5, 1943). Buildings designed by Monks include: Lewisham Hospital Sydney; Wagga Base Hospital; St Michael's Cathedral Wagga; Public Hall Ganmain; the Ganmain Hotel, Ganmain (destroyed by fire 1930, taking the former Nadin, Iverach and Wilson Ganmain store with it) and Meaker's Store, Ganmain.

The builder George Henry Mutch, who operated the 'Central Timber Yards' in Junee, died in Junee in 1938 (CGFR 15/1/1909; Probate Index: 31 May 1938).

The sign-writing came in for special mention in the local paper:
'Mr LB. Drane, signwriter, had given plenty of proof of his ability in both Coolamon and Ganmain. Messrs Nadin, Iverach and Denoon's new Up- To-Date Store had been finished in splendid style, as was Kelly and Ryan's Office window in Ganmain' (CGFR 8/10/1909).

Nadin, Iverach and Denoon, 1909-1912:
William Alfred Iverach (1879-1946) started work in Hall's store in 1896 as a 'potato boy' weighing potatoes, rising to become manager of the hardware and grocery departments before leaving in 1906 to go into partnership with Nadin in a new store at 104 Cowabbie Street (which still stands) (Kingdon 1956). He bought Nadin's share in 1907, and then sold this store to Sykes and Watson in 1909 (Advert CGFR 28/5/1909). Iverach then immediately rejoined his former partner, Nadin, when he bought Alcock's share in the Up To Date Store, Iverach's name first appearing in advertisements in the paper on June 4, 1909 (CGFR 4/6/1909, 16/7/1909). Alcock left Coolamon in July (CGFR 23/7/1909) and Iverach, Nadin and Denoon moved into the newly completed store in the same month. The new Up To Date Store was glowingly reported in the Coolamon-Ganmain Farmers Review on 30 July 1909:
'Nadin, Iverach and Denoon are now comfortably settled in their fine new store. The building is certainly true to its well known name, viz. "Up-to- date". The architect, Mr Monks, of Wagga, has given further proof of his ability to do good, creditable, all round work. The interior is replete with modem appliances on every side to suit the conveniences necessary to run a large and growing business. The exterior presents an appearance at once pleasing to the eye, and visitors to the town never fail to pass unstinted praise when viewing its pretentious dimensions. The four large windows allow of a fine display of stock to be made, and reflect a good deal of credit to those who took in hand the difficult task of dressing them. It would be almost impossible to enumerate the whole of the departments from memory, but extensive stocks of drapery, millinery, clothing, ironmongery, grocery, and saddlery are carried and neatly shelved. A large store room at the back of the premises was specially built to hold the goods in bulk and must provide a great amount of convenience to customers as well as to the proprietors. The contractor, Mr G.H. Mutch, of Junee, comes in for some well merited encomium owing to the faithful manner in which he completed his heavy and costly undertaking, and he must continue to be reckoned with whilst able to give such thorough satisfaction. In conclusion, let us wish Messrs Nadin, Iverach and Denoon a full measure of success and prosperity, and that they and Mr N. Mutton will be able to look back with pride to the day upon which the contract for the new premises was let.'

Several photographs of the store from 1909 to 1912 show the ornate facade, the gable dated 1909, and the names 'Nadin, Iverach and Denoon' on both the gable end and on the corner billboard above the verandah.

William Alfred Iverach (usually simply known as 'W.A.'), was the part or sole operator of the present Up To Date Store from its construction in 1909 until its closure in 1932. He emigrated from Scotland with his family, arriving in Coolamon in 1889 (CGFR 24/8/1956) and was in business initially as a blacksmith. By 1897 he was a committee member of the Coolamon Ploughing Match Committee, becoming President of the Committee in 1902. He remained in that position until at least 1907, and possibly until the last ploughing Match was held in 1908 (Inauguration of the Coolamon Ploughing Match, 1907).

Nadin, Iverach and Wilson, 1912-1914:
William Denoon left Coolamon in 1911, and his share in the business was acquired by Hugh Charles Wilson. In what appears to have been a reciprocal deal, Nadin and Iverach acquired George Ashelford's share in Ashelford and Wilson's general store in Ganmain, which had been established in 1909 (Gilmore 1992: 49). The Ganmain store consequently also traded as 'Nadin, Iverach and Wilson'.

William Denoon left the firm to enter into partnership with Mr C. Murnane in a patent horseshoe-making business in Sydney. Frederick Hall said of Denoon at his farewell reception that his former confidential secretary: 'had a character which was to be envied', and was active in a number of community activities and institutions (CGFR 16/6/1911). He seems to have served overseas in the First World War, then apparently returned to Coolamon. A photograph, dated to 1925, shows a shop hoarding in Cowabbie Street for 'W. Denoon, Auctioneer' (Robertson 1994: 35).

Nadin and Iverach, 1914-1925 :
Wilson sold his share in the Up To Date Store to Nadin and Iverach in 1914, and bought the Ganmain store outright. He sold the Ganmain store operation (but not the land) to Alan Gilbert in 1924, and the store was burnt down in the 1930 Ganmain Hotel fire (see photos in Gilmore 1992: 49, 73).

Nadin and Iverach became the agents for H.V. McKay Sunshine in 1917, and Iverach retained the dealership of the subsequent H.V. McKay Massey Harris Company created in 1930 until at least the 1950s. In 1933 alone, Iverach delivered 33 headers in the Coolamon district. (CGFR 24/8/1956). At some point, as yet unknown, Nadin seems to have moved to Sydney, probably becoming a supplier to the Coolamon store.

W.A. Iverach, 1925-1932:
In 1925 Iverach bought out Nadin (possibly on Nadin's death?), and continued to operate as 'W.A. Iverach'. In January 1933 W.A. Iverach moved his store to the former Ashwood and Coles store located at 113 - 115 Cowabbie St. Ashwood and Cole had gone into liquidation in the previous year (presumably in the depression) and Iverach purchased the store. He advertised a 'removal price cutting' sale at the Up To Date Store in December 1932, indicating to customers that there were 'hundreds of GENUINE BARGAINS' to be had (CGFR 2/12/1932). On 6 January 1933 it was reported that: 'Mr W.A. Iverach closed, with the closing of the Old Year, his Up To Date store, opening for business on Tuesday his New Quality store, lately occupied by Ashwood and Cole. The interior of the premises had been thoroughly cleaned and renovated, and the exterior is being painted and decorated' (CGFR 6/1/1933).

In 1936 W.A. Iverach took his sons Everard, Horace William (1905-1981) and Ormond Charles (1909-1979) into the firm, becoming W.A. Iverach and Sons. The firm became a limited liability company in 1947, following W.A.'s death in 1946. (CGFR 24/8/1956; Kingdon 1956; Coolamon and District Cemeteries).

The Up To Date Store after 1932:
The Mutton family, owners of the store, operated agricultural businesses and ran a stock and station agency and chaff mill in town. When the Up To Date Store closed in 1932 they used the building for storage: chaff, grain, fencing materials and machinery (oral information, Ellie Lucas and Knocky Moore). The Muttons demolished the weatherboard extension at the back of the store, and replaced it with the present corrugated iron extension (Room 6). They also removed the original stables located at the northern end of the block, and replaced them with a pole-framed corrugated iron work shed which contained a forge, used for repairing machinery (Bruce Mutton from Jeanette Campbell's notes).

The store had other intermittent uses that included roller skating, (probably in the 1940s in Room 2 with the counters pulled back against the shelving) as a fruit shop and for boxing, (though possibly this was a youth activity rather than a spectator sport) (oral information: Ellie Lucas, Dot Iverach, Thelma Smith, Knocky Moore, Jeanette Campbell). (Up To Date Store, Coolamon, Draft Conservation Management Plan, M Pearson, D Marshall, L Young, 1999).

Comparison with similar stores using Webber, Hoskins and McCann's studies indicates that the Up To Date Store is significant at the state level. (What's In Store? A History of Retailing in Australia, K Webber, I Hoskins, 2003; A Lot in Store, Celebrating our Shopping Heritage, J McCann 2002).

The Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery is fully documented and mostly provencanced to the Coolamon area and the family properties of Garth Jones. There is extensive supporting documentation and historic photographs of the properties and family life on the farm. Garth Jones's commentary provides a personal and insightful narrative to the collection, telling stories about working on the land. The contents of the Garth Jones Collection have been catalogued. A copy of the catalogue will be retained on file at the Heritage Office at H04/00016.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Farming wheat and other grains-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Clearing land for farming-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Commerce-Activities relating to buying, selling and exchanging goods and services Selling Furniture-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Pastoralism-Activities associated with the breeding, raising, processing and distribution of livestock for human use Woolgrowing-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Maintaining animal based transport-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Fencing boundaries - iron estate fencing-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Utilities-Activities associated with the provision of services, especially on a communal basis Providing drinking water-
5. Working-Working Labour-Activities associated with work practises and organised and unorganised labour Working with hand tools and implements-
5. Working-Working Labour-Activities associated with work practises and organised and unorganised labour Working independently on the land-
5. Working-Working Labour-Activities associated with work practises and organised and unorganised labour Working in shops and stores-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. Architectural styles and periods - Federation Free Classical-
9. Phases of Life-Marking the phases of life Persons-Activities of, and associations with, identifiable individuals, families and communal groups Associations with William John Monks, architect-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Up To Date Store is significant at state level for its largely intact original fittings and for the Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery that it houses.

The Up To Date Store is an excellent example of a middle-sized country general store of the early twentieth century. It is in an exceptionally intact state for a store fitted out in 1909 despite the loss of some elements of the internal fit out. The surviving fittings such as counters, benches and shelving, the open spaces of the two main rooms in the store, the intact partitioning creating smaller rooms at the rear of the store, the exposed roof trusses and varnished ceiling boards, the window show cases, the original timber floor with its evidence of wear patterns, and the verandahs on Cowabbie and Loughnan Streets are all integral elements contributing to this value. The store is significant for the legibility of its various spaces and rooms which highlights the different aspects of the retail business of a country general store, the comprehensive nature of the services it provided, and the society of the period. One element of the store's fit out, the Lamson Cash Carrier, is a rare surviving example of this early cash management system. It is unique in New South Wales in that it is still in its original location.

The Up-To-Date Store has strong associations with the development of Coolamon township. The size, quality and scale of the store demonstrates confidence in the future of Coolamon as a centre of commerce and trade during the early twentieth century. The design of the large windows reflects the trend in shop design of this era. The use of the site as a store dates from 1883, just two years after the establishment of the town. The current store building replaced the original store in 1909 and operated continuously until 1932 when the business, now solely run by W.A Iverach, transferred to larger premises in the centre of the main street. The store was one of two or three major retail outlets in the town during most of this period.

The Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery, (housed in the north shed and the new north-western shed), represents one of the finest collections of its kind in New South Wales. The location of this collection on the site of the Up To Date Store reinforces the historic connection between the Up To Date Store and the agricultural development of the district whereby the store itself, (and its owner Nicholas Mutton through his other enterprises), played an important role in supplying goods and equipment to the farmers of the district and purchasing the local produce. The collection is rare for its largely original condition, its documented provenance and its cohesiveness, being mostly sourced from the Coolamon area and the family properties of Garth Jones. The collection demonstrates important themes in the agricultural history of the district and aspects of rural life such as water, land clearing, horse power, wheat, fencing and transport. Garth Jones's commentary provides a personal and insightful narrative to the collection, telling stories about working on the land. After the store closed in 1932, its sheds were used for the repair of farm tools and machinery. An in situ forge in the north shed, together with items in the Garth Jones collection related to blacksmithing, interprets this work and draws connections between the Up To Date Store and the farming enterprise of the district it serviced.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The Up To Date Store demonstrates local significance for its association with its architect and the group of individuals who owned and ran it.

The people involved with the store, including Frederick Hall, W.A. Iverach and the principal land owner Nicholas Mutton, have strong associations with the development of Coolamon township. They were prominent in both the physical building and the community development of Coolamon. They were intimately involved in town-based commercial activities, rural agricultural enterprise, and voluntary work within a number of community organisations. The store was a considerable employer within the town, having a staff estimated at about 10 people at any given time. The store is also an interesting surviving work of the prominent regional architect W.J. Monks. (Up To Date Store, Coolamon, Draft Conservation Management Plan, M Pearson, D Marshall, L Young, 1999).
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Up To Date Store demonstrates local significance for its aesthetic values.

The Up To Date Store is located in a prominent position on a street corner at the top of the sloping main street. Because of its location and its architectural quality it makes a strong contribution to the Coolamon streetscape, which is one of considerable unity of scale and character and free of major modern infill buildings, except for the new (and relatively sympathetic) Royal Hotel, which replaced the original destroyed in the most recent of the town's fires.

The Up To Date Store acts as a final punctuation mark in the streetscape, particularly as it (alone among the Coolamon stores) addresses two streets (both Cowabbie and Loughnan Streets) by wrapping around the corner, and hence can be seen from a greater distance down the street than would be the case if it only addressed Cowabbie Street. While plantings form a strong element in the Cowabbie Street landscape south of Loughnan Street, plantings have never been associated with the Up To Date Store block, its commercial and then its workshop/storage functions being reflected in a treeless immediate landscape. This absence of trees and plantings (and any other form of formal landscaping) is characteristic of the place, and should be maintained.

The Up To Date Store is a good example of the Federation Free Style of architecture and is an important element in the Coolamon streetscape. This streetscape has a number of buildings with decorative facade treatments from the same and later periods (due to a number of major fires destroying earlier buildings). The streetscape's unity of scale and character is enhanced by the gentle slope down Cowabbie Street towards the railway, and the broad street with its central park.

The store is an interesting surviving work of the prominent regional architect William John Monks. The store building displays the following key features of the Federation Free Style: prominent skyline feature, (especially the corner parapet element) and strongly contrasting materials, textures or colours, (such as the brickwork and rendered bands and parapet). Other features of the style displayed by the building include: projecting corner tower feature, (though in this case it is a corner projection of the parapet rather than a three dimensional feature); curvilinear parapet features; circular recess in the corner parapet element, and Art Nouveau motif in the verandah post brackets. (Up To Date Store, Coolamon, Draft Conservation Management Plan, M Pearson, D Marshall, L Young, 1999).
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The Up To Date Store has strong local significance for its association with the community of the Coolamon district. The store appears to have an established place in the communal memory of Coolamon, both as a store and because of the characters (in particular W.A. Iverach) who were associated with it. This is somewhat unusual, bearing in mind that the building has not been a store for nearly 60 years. The interest of the Up-To-Date Store Committee and the Coolamon Heritage and Advancement Society (CHAS), the site's continued use and appreciation by groups involved in its conservation and use, and its purchase by Coolamon Shire Council in 1998, all reflect a considerable degree of social significance. (Up To Date Store, Coolamon, Draft Conservation Management Plan, M Pearson, D Marshall, L Young, 1999)
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The Up-To-Date Store is significant at state level for its surviving contents, and the Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery. These both provide rare cohesive evidence of the role and operations of a country general store in the townscape, development, society and farming enterprise of a country town in New South Wales during the early twentieth century.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
While some of the elements of the internal fit out have been lost, on balance the Up To Date Store can be said to be in an exceptionally intact state for a store fitted out in 1909.

The Lamson Cash Carrier is very rare, there being only two other examples of the early ball system as yet reported in Australia. One of these is a section only on display in a NSW museum, and the other is in pieces in store in Qld. The Up To Date Store's model is unique in remaining largely intact and in its original position. Enquiries to the Smithsonian Institution in the USA indicate that the ball model is not known to the specialists there, even though they have been undertaking research in connection with the company and their 'flying fox' style cash carriers. Photographic evidence indicates that the ball cash carrier system was installed in other prominent stores in Sydney at least and may have been quite widespread. The Up To Date Store has the only known surviving example in Australia that is still in its original location. (Up To Date Store, Coolamon, Draft Conservation Management Plan, M Pearson, D Marshall, L Young, 1999).

The Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery (housed in the north and north-western sheds) is rare as one of the finest collections of its kind in New South Wales. It is rare for its largely original condition, its fully documented provenance and its cohesiveness, being mostly sourced from the Coolamon area and the family properties of Garth Jones.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The Up-To-Date Store is an excellent example of a middle-sized country general store of the early twentieth century, which has survived largely intact, including its surviving original furnishings and fittings.

The Garth Jones Collection of farm machinery, housed in the north and north-western sheds, represents one of the finest collections of its kind in New South Wales.
Integrity/Intactness: High
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0176113 Oct 06 1238761
Heritage Act - Icons Project Nomination for SHR listing  28 Jul 04   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
TourismAttraction Homepage2007Up-To-Date Store Museum View detail
WrittenJeanette Campbell Notes
WrittenJoy McCann2002A Lot in Store: Celebrating our Shopping Heritage
WrittenKimberley Webber, Ian Hoskins2003What's In Store? A History of Retailing in Australia
WrittenKylie Winkworth2002Draft Interpretation Plan for the Up to Date Store and the Garth Jones Collection, Coolamon
WrittenM Brennan (ed)1981Collamon '81: Coolamon Centenary Celebrations 1881 - 1981
WrittenMichael Pearson, Duncan Marshall and Linda Young1999Up-To-Date Store, Coolamon, Draft Conservation Management Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5053418
File number: H04/00016, H04/00091/9 (ICONS)


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.