Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve

Item details

Name of item: Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve
Other name/s: Millennium Heritage Parklands Precinct, Newington Armory, Royal Australian Navy Armament Depot (RANAD), Newington Nature Reserve, Sydney Olympic Games
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Defence
Category: Magazine
Location: Lat: -33.8284051524 Long: 151.0656559440
Primary address: Holker Street, Homebush Bay, NSW 2140
Parish: St John
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Auburn
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
 2005 DP878356
 1 DP883215
 2 DP883215
 3 DP883215
 2 DP883573
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Holker StreetHomebush BayAuburnSt JohnCumberlandPrimary Address
 Sydney Olympic Park   Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
Sydney Olympic Park AuthorityState Government 

Statement of significance:

The former Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Armament Depot - Newington known as Newington Armament Depot and including the area now known as the Newington Nature Reserve, is potentially of State heritage significance as a place which demonstrates the historical and technical development of systems and regulations of explosives handling and storage from the 1890s to1999 and also demonstrates the importance of Sydney as a Navy Port. Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve is historically significant as it contains physical evidence demonstrating the history of European occupation through to the end of the 20th century. The site is a valuable tool for research relating to the early settlement and development of the colony of NSW and the development of defence from colonial times.

Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve is potentially of State significance as an extensive cultural landscape containing features from all periods of its human occupation as well as regionally rare forest and wetlands. Newington Nature Reserve is reserved under the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 because of its significant ecological values; these extend beyond the boundaries of the Reserve into other parts of the site. The site 's estuarine wetland and forest communities are rare remnants of ecological communities that once dominated this region. These provide a valuable resource for research and include a number of rare and endangered ecological communities, flora and fauna including Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest, Coastal Saltmarsh, the Green and Golden Bell Frog, Wilsonia backhousei and the White Fronted Chat. The site supports 144 bird species and ten bat species including the only known maternity roost of the White-striped Freetail bat in the Sydney area. In addition, it supports the only remaining example of a complete zonal succession from eucalypt forest, saltmarsh, mangroves and tidal mudflats on the Parramatta River estuary.
Date significance updated: 22 Oct 15
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: various
Builder/Maker: Royal Australian Navy
Construction years: 1897-1999
Physical description: The Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve is part of the former Royal Australian Navy Armament Depot, Newington, which operated at the site until December 1999. Armaments used by Australian, British and United States Navy ships were received, inspected, tested, stored and distributed at the Depot. These armaments included gunpowder, explosive shells, cordite, fuses, depth charges, torpedoes and rockets.

The site now spans approximately 100 hectares. It contains 100 buildings, 6.7 kilometres of narrow-gauge rail, 7 battery-powered locomotives, 30 rail wagons, three cranes, various items of moveable heritage left behind after the Depot closed, items of moveable heritage on loan from the Department of Defence, and the 48-hectares Newington Nature Reserve. At its peak the Depot spanned from the Parramatta River to Parramatta Road (259 hectares) and contained 191 buildings. The southern part of the Depot was developed as the athletes village for the 2000 Olympic Games and is now the suburb of Newington. The site includes a wide variety of buildings, blast containment structures, transport networks, landforms and moveable items associated with the storage and handling of explosives, all of which were closely associated with the topography and other natural features of the site.

Evidence of Indigenous occupation in the form of isolated artefact scatters has been referred to in early documentation of this site however more recent information has placed this in question (SOPA 2010). Scarred trees have been recorded however later reports have also questioned the veracity of the cultural significance of these trees. (Irish) The most dominant physical evidence of cultural significance to be found on the site is the built environment relating to the use by the Army, the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and the American Navy.

The site has been described as consisting of four zones by the Brooks Conservation Master Plan 2003 according to the periods in which they were occupied.

1) The "Original Establishment Precinct" is in the north west corner of the site facing Parramatta River and contains the earliest military buildings and evidence of its occupation as an Armament Depot from 1897. It contains the wharf with two cranes, reclaimed land and part of the light rail system as well as Federation face brick buildings which were purpose built to store and distribute armaments. These buildings are protected by earth mounding and concrete separation blast walls to shield explosive materials in event of accidents. At the top of the precinct on a hill at the end of a cobble stone driveway flanked by two rows of trees ending in two sandstone gate posts are administration and residential buildings. These buildings are a mixture of Federation brick buildings constructed in the first phase and other buildings built during the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s. The later buildings are a mix of materials including timber and fibro with asbestos roofing. The cranes are dated as circa 1973.

2) The "Early Navy Occupancy Precinct" is in the north east corner of the site and provides physical evidence of the Navy occupancy and expansion up until the Second World War. The precinct has a concentration of armaments storage and weapons testing buildings due to its isolation from the other precincts by the wetlands. As the precinct was originally used for burning carbine and testing armament the conservation of the wetland is complicated by the presence of unexploded ordinance.

3) The "RAN Wartime Expansion Precinct" is in the south eastern corner of the site and it includes half of the Woodland. Within this precinct are buildings constructed in the period leading up to WWII for use as armaments storage and weapons testing as well as administration. In addition there are transportation infrastructure and landscape works from this period.

4) The south west corner of the site is described as the "US Navy Utilisation Precinct" because it contains explosives storage bunkers constructed for the US Navy. The area also contains Inter-war buildings constructed as offices and workshops which are generally located in a group close to Jamieson Street at the northern end of the precinct on the hill where the 19th century residences are located. The typical armament store building of the former RANAD site is electrically earthed with massive copper straps, constructed of materials with good antistatic properties; provided with facilities for discharging static electricity from people entering the store; fitted with lightning conductors; and contained within a high earth embankment, which will direct any accidental blast upwards (Fox and Associates 1986).

On site is also a movable heritage collection (part of the Navy Heritage Collection) which is unique and historically related to the Newington site. No other location in the world holds a complete collection of ordnance that directly relates to the entire history of the site and that site only. Many of the individual items are also either extremely rare or the only known example to exist. This collection is not part of this heritage listing on the State Heritage Register but is protected by the Commonwealth.

Newington Nature Reserve:
The site encompasses Newington Nature Reserve which is reserved under the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974 because of its significant ecological values. The Reserve comprises 48 hectares of remnant and regenerating forest and estuarine wetland communities. These ecological communities extend beyond the Reserve into adjoining land.

The Reserve supports 20 hectares of 'Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest', classified as a critically endangered ecological community under the Commonwealth Environment Protection and Biodiversity Act 1999, and as endangered under the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995. Only 0.5% of the original pre-European extent of this forest type remains intact, and only 220 hectares of this is protected within conservation reserves. 28 native plants, identified as being of regional conservation significance, have been recorded within the forest. It has a high density of hollow-bearing trees (uncommon in other similar remnants of this community), which provide nesting sites for birds and potential microbat roosts. It is an important local and regional stronghold for bush bird and bat species, and provides a base for species that rely on the forest for shelter and breeding habitat, but utilise parkland and urban habitats for feeding and movement.

The Reserve supports a 35-hectare estuarine wetland, which contains mangrove forest, mudflats, 'Swamp Oak Floodplain Forest' and 'Coastal Saltmarsh'. Mangroves are classified as 'protected marine vegetation under the NSW Fisheries Management Act 1994; Swamp Oak Floodplain forest and Coastal saltmarsh are each classified as an 'endangered ecological community under the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995. Wilsonia backhousei, listed as 'vulnerable' under the TSCA, is a component of the saltmarsh community. The saltmarsh community also supports two species of restricted distribution and local conservation significance - Halosarcia pergranulata and Lampranthus tegens.

The reserve contains a complete zonal succession of eucalypt forest, casuarina forest, saltmarsh and mangroves; the only such succession remaining on the Parramatta river estuary.

It supports the only known maternity roost of the White-striped Freetail bat Tadarida australis) in the Sydney area, and in a building. This maternity roost is established in the roof and wall cavity of a former explosives storehouse. Several other former explosive storehouses within the precinct also show evidence of recent use as maternity roosts by several bat species.

It supports a population of the Green and Golden Bell Frog, listed as an endangered species under the NSW TSCA, and as a vulnerable species under the Commonwealth EPBC.

It supports 144 species of birds, including migratory species listed under international agreements between the governments of Australia, China, Japan and Korea.

The Reserve takes up land a length of approximately one kilometre along Parramatta River without actually including the edge of the river frontage; the estuarine wetlands form part of a network of estuarine habitats along the Parramatta River utilised by migratory shorebirds.

The Reserve supports one of two remaining Sydney populations of the White-fronted Chat (Epthianura albifrons). This species is listed as 'vulnerable' under the Threatened Species conservation Act 1995, and the Sydney Olympic Park population as a whole is listed as an 'endangered population'. (SOPA 2010)
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Since the closure of the armament depot in the 1990's the original seven precincts described in the 1989 Godden Report have been reduced substantially. The southern precinct and half the magazine precinct have since been redeveloped as the suburb Newington. The remaining Newington Armament Depot precinct is in good condition and is maintained regularly with many of the habitable original buildings still occupied. The buildings used for armament storage are not habitable and are currently empty or are used for short term storage.
Today the site is being opened up for managed public multi use for recreational, cultural, arts, scientific, research and educational activities, short term accommodation, events and programs as well as conservation and nature reserve. An adaptive building reuse program has included new uses such as a cafe and kiosk on the foreshore, visitor information and bike hire, artists studios, art gallery, theatrette, 96 bed lodge accommodation facility, Birds Australia Discovery Centre, museum and operational storage facilities. The railway has been restored and is operated as a guided tour for visitors.
Substantial stabilisation and restoration works were undertaken to buildings, railway track and locomotives in 2001 with the result that built assets are generally in good condition.
Forest and wetland communities are generally in good condition due to implementation of a long-term bush regeneration and enhancement program. Access to these areas is highly restricted to ensure their ongoing protection. A program of natural regeneration and planting of local provenance plants is extending and enhancing these communities.
Wetland hydrology is actively managed to balance habitat needs of saltmarsh and migratory shorebirds and to minimise creation of mosquito breeding habitat. Mangrove seedlings are actively removed where they pose a threat to saltmarsh or mudflat communities. The wetland contains areas identified as potentially containing unexploded ordnance, which restricts access and some types of management activities. Parts of the wetland contains extensive breeding habitat for the pest mosquito Aedes vigilax, necessitating periodic treatment with a bacterial larvicide.
Date condition updated:30 Mar 10
Modifications and dates: 1980's - Regular mowing of the forest understorey to reduce fire risk ceases; natural regeneration commences.
1996- Remediation and redevelopment of southern 2/3 of the Depot commences.
Restoration of tidal flushing to the wetland - Tidal flushing channel 1 (1997) and tidal flushing channel 2 and 3 (1999) constructed - the wetland had become effectively landlocked as a result of the construction of the Parramatta River seawall in the 1890's and reclamation of Wentworth (Homebush) Bay in the 1950's.
2000-1-1 - Ownership of the land now know as the Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve was transferred from the Commonwealth Government to the NSW State Government.
2000/09/14 -34.7 hectares of estuarine wetland and 13 hectares of remnant forest were gazetted as Silverwater Nature reserve, later renamed Newington Nature Reserve.
2001 - Extensive stabilisation and restoration works were conducted to buildings, railway track and locomotives.
2003 - First public open day held.
2003 to present - Progressive adaptive re-use of buildings for uses listed above. The rail track was extended to form a loop encircling the forest, enabling the train to operate as a visitor tour and interpretive attraction.
2007 - New park opened by the riverside - Blaxland Riverside Park, covering 20 hectares adjoining the Newington Armament Depot. Stage 1 of $7m works opened, comprising creation of landscaped picnic terraces, development of a riverfront promenade, cafe, parking areas etc.
2007 - Wharf area was redeveloped and opened as part of Blaxland Riverside Park.
2008 - Cafe building destroyed by fire and rebuilt.
(Information supplied by Sydney Olympic Park Authority)
Current use: Arts precinct; Park; Recreation
Former use: Farming; Armament Depot.

History

Historical notes: The Parramatta river area was formed during the Holocene period approximately 6000 years ago. Aboriginal people are believed to have lived in the Sydney basin for at least 20,000 years however with the rising sea levels associated with the warming of the Holocene age archaeological evidence is limited to areas above sea level such as the Blue Mountains. (Brooks p21, 22, 23).

Evidence of the use of Homebush Bay by Aboriginal people has been found. Middens originally were present along the shores of the Parramatta River and Homebush Bay however these were substantially disturbed when used for lime making. Past reports have referenced the existence of physical evidence of Aboriginal occupation on the subject site as isolated artefact scatters and scarred trees (Brooks p22, 23). However these findings have since been questioned in further studies. (Irish 2004).

John Blaxland (1769-1845) was a landowner and merchant who came to Australia in April 1807 with the sponsorship of the British government. Blaxland's holding on the Parramatta River was 1290 acres part of which was the land later to become Newington Armament Depot. Blaxland named the site Newington after his home in Kent. He had aspirations to profit from the colony but was constantly at odds with its administration, in particular Governor Bligh, over what was owed to him and the type of agricultural and mercantile enterprise he chose to undertake.

Blaxland chose to concentrate on the cattle industry: breeding, slaughtering, salting down, and selling meat and dairy produce and did not undertake crop cultivation which was the farming activity preferred by Bligh. He produced the first suitable colonial salt on the waterfront (Australian Dictionary of Biography). Blaxland's estate was rich, riverside land, comprising a rural villa estate and a farming community. The farm, factory and salt works were established between 1829 and 1832. (SHI Database SHR 00813) Blaxland built a house which is on land which is now part of Silverwater prison. After the death of Blaxland in 1845 the family mortgaged and sold the property. The Land was then leased for uses such as slaughterhouses and timber cutting. (Brooks, 26) The property was bought by John Weatherill who intended to subdivide it but this was never undertaken and the site reverted to the government in 1880.

In 1882 the government resumed the area for a Powder Magazine. Most of the 248 acres resumed at this time was described as mud flats, swamp and mangroves or salt marsh. (Brooks 2003) Its isolated location away from urban areas made it suitable for the storage of explosives. This area was enlarged in 1884 with an extra area of 109 hectares being made available for the magazine. Further increases were made in 1941 (38 hectares), 1946 (86 hectares), 1949 (20 hectares) and 1952 (6 hectares). (Fox, p139) The large scale reclamation eventually drained 200 acres of mud flats. By 1893 the foreshore had moved out into the bay and been straightened with two miles of fascine banks. Reclamation of the wetland continued through the 1930s and into the Second World War. Part of the site was used by Homebush State Abattoir until 1928. In 1938 and 1941 the whole site was resumed for military purposes. (Brooks, 29)

Defence infrastructure in the 19th century was largely located in the inner harbour of Sydney Harbour with Powder Magazines at Goat Island and Spectacle Island. In the 1860s it became apparent that Goat Island was reaching capacity and the use of Spectacle Island as a powder magazine had begun by 1865. By 1880 both Goat and Spectacle Islands had reached capacity and another site was required to store explosives which was far enough removed from the urban population. Newington was chosen for its relative isolation and in 1882 the Government Gazette of 22 August described the resumption of land for "erection of a magazine for the storage of gunpowder and other explosives". (Godden, 9) The first buildings were constructed for and manned by the New South Wales Military Forces in 1897.

The site during the period occupied by the New South Wales Military Forces was focussed on the Parramatta River side within a precinct comprising the river frontage, armament buildings and accommodation buildings on a hill away from the handling and storage of explosives. In 1921 the Royal Australian Navy took over the site from the army and used the site to store enough ammunition for 2 ships and 2 years practice ammunition. The Navy lobbied for the resumption of more land arguing the site was too small to be of any real value. There followed a decade of development on the subject site and land resumed from the State Abattoir. In 1938 in response to the European military situation the Navy's expansion on the site dramatically increased. The armament depot was fully operational and at its peak when the Second World War was declared. (Brooks, 34)

The Second World War had a major impact upon defence in Australia and the way it was managed. The Royal Australian Navy was formed in 1911 but still played a role as a colonial arm of the British navy. In the Second World War the RAN took on a major role in defence as thousands of Allied ships arrived in Sydney, affecting docking facilities and particularly armament supply and storage. Newington Armament Depot was part of a network of Navy sites on Sydney harbour. Munitions were transported between Garden Island, Cockatoo Island, Spectacle Island and Newington. All ships entering the harbour were de-ammunitioned and the ammunition was then taken to Newington for storage. Of the 5,127 dockings by Navy ships between 1939 and 1945 there were over 500 US ships and almost 400 British. There were smaller numbers of Dutch and French ships as well as almost 12,000 Merchant ships which also carried armaments and navel supplies. (Brooks, p35) During the Second World War Newington played an essential role in supplying Allied ships for the war in the Pacific.

At the end of the war the Navy continued to operate the site and it remained an intrinsic part of the Sydney Ammunition Pipeline. The pipeline is the term used to describe the movement of ammunition from storage facilities such as the RAN Armament Depot at Kingswood via road to Newington where it was transported by water to Garden Island. (Brooks,36)
The Navy was still using the site for the transfer of armaments up to December 1999 (for use in East Timor). The site was handed to the NSW State Government in January 2000. (SOPA 2010)

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
1. Environment-Tracing the evolution of a continent's special environments Environment - naturally evolved-Activities associated with the physical surroundings that support human life and influence or shape human cultures. Cultural: Pre-invasion ecosystems illustrating changing human land uses-
1. Environment-Tracing the evolution of a continent's special environments Environment - naturally evolved-Activities associated with the physical surroundings that support human life and influence or shape human cultures. Natural - pre European settlement vegetation-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Technology-Activities and processes associated with the knowledge or use of mechanical arts and applied sciences Technologies of constructing military buildings and structures-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Resuming private lands for public purposes-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Land tenure-Activities and processes for identifying forms of ownership and occupancy of land and water, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Granting Crown lands for private farming-
5. Working-Working Labour-Activities associated with work practises and organised and unorganised labour Working for the defence services-
7. Governing-Governing Defence-Activities associated with defending places from hostile takeover and occupation Defending the homeland-
7. Governing-Governing Defence-Activities associated with defending places from hostile takeover and occupation Storing Ordinance-
7. Governing-Governing Defence-Activities associated with defending places from hostile takeover and occupation Naval establishment or involvement-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve is historically significant for its preservation of evidence of European occupation along the Parramatta River. It demonstrates the early occupation of lands at Homebush by Europeans, only nine years after the area was first sighted by members of the first fleet, who remarked upon the presence of Aboriginal people in the area. It was the site of an early land grant to pastoral and industrial entrepreneur John Blaxland (1769-1845) whose family were influential in the colony, and whose house is located on adjacent land. The site demonstrates the importance of Parramatta River in the opening up of the colony and the early rural settlement of areas close to Parramatta. Its historical importance as an Armament Depot lies in its demonstration of the evolution of systems and regulations of explosives handling and storage over 90 years and the role of Sydney as a major port for the Australian Navy fleet. It is highly illustrative of the extent of involvement of the Royal Australian Navy and US Navy in the Second World War and the logistics provided by Australia to the Allies. (Brooks)
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The site of the Newington Armaments Depot has historical association with John Blaxland (1769-1845) who arrived as a free settler in 1806. Blaxland was the first European to substantially develop the land at Newington. He made a contribution to the economic development of the colony, held the office of magistrate and became well known for his disagreements with the early Governors, in particular Governor Bligh.
The place is associated with the Royal Australian Navy who occupied the site from 1921 until 1997. It is also associated with the Royal Navy (British) and the US Navy.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Newington Armament Depot's unusual mixture of historic buildings, some of which are partially submerged within earth mounds, with its open parkland setting bordered by the forest and wetland together with its relationship to the Parramatta River make a remarkable landscape. The complex features an outstanding collection of turn of the century brick structures which display the application of Federation design to purpose built industrial buildings. (Godden)
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Newington Armaments Depot is of social value to the former Navy employees and their families who lived and worked on site up until the 1990's.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Newington Armaments Depot has high potential for interpretation and research into technological developments in explosives handling and storage. It illustrates the development of blast containment structures and design philosophies to accommodate changing international explosives regulations. The buildings constructed for the US Navy during the Second World war are significant examples of military storehouse technology. Specific building types demonstrate the adaptation of building technology for armaments handling and storage and the specific nature of armaments work practices.
Research conducted within the endangered estuarine wetland and forest communities is used to inform an adaptive management regime, thereby assisting conservation of these communities. This research has wider application to management of other lands that support similar ecological systems and species.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The Royal Australian Navy Armament Depot at Newington was unique in the history of NSW for its role as the major storage and supply depot of explosive navy armament to service the fleet facilities in Sydney Harbour from 1895 to 1998. It was the only place in NSW where there was a combination of operational activities and physical facilities for the Australian, the US and the Royal Navies on the one site.
Three "endangered ecological communities", listed under the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 (Coastal Saltmarsh; Swamp Oak Floodplain Forest; Sydney Turpentine Ironbark Forest) are found on the site. The Turpentine Ironbark Forest is also listed as critically endangered in the Environment Protection Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. the nature reserve is the only remaining example on the Parramatta river of a complete estuarine zonation, from tidal mudflats, to mangroves, saltmarsh, swamp oak flood plain forest and eucalypt forest. Almost all similar sequences have been cleared in the Sydney Basin. The site is home to part of a listed "endangered population" of the White-fronted Chat and to the saltmarsh plant Wilsonia backhousei, both of which are listed as "vulnerable species" under the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995. A Green and Golden bell frog population is found on site which is "endangered" under the Threatened Species Conservation Act 1995 and vulnerable under the Environment Protection Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999. The site is the only known maternity roost of the White striped Freetail Bat in the Sydney area and is also the only known maternity roost of this species in a building. The site is home to 144 species of birds, including migratory shorebirds and 10 species of bats.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The forest and wetland demonstrate the characteristics of their respective classes of ecological community. Newington Armaments Depot is an excellent example of an armament depot that has evolved over the course of the 20th century. The integrity of the precinct is significant as it is able to demonstrate all periods of the life of the facility.
Integrity/Intactness: The precinct has been reduced from its original size at the height of its operations. However the remaining precinct has a high degree of integrity.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Recommended management:

Recommendations

Management CategoryDescriptionDate Updated
Recommended ManagementReview a Conservation Management Plan (CMP)22 Nov 16
Recommended ManagementPrepare a maintenance schedule or guidelines 
Recommended ManagementCarry out interpretation, promotion and/or education 

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementMillenium Parklands Heritage Precinct Conservation Master Plan, prepared by Graham Brooks & Associates Pty Ltd for Sydney Olympic Parkland Authority, dated July 2003. CMP endorsed under delegation by Director of the Heritage Office 18 June 2004 (expires 18 June 2009) - 1 stamped copy in HO Library. Jun 18 2004
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementMillennium Parklands Concise Conservation Reports & Demolition Report, prepared by Design 5 for SOPA, dated February 2005 Concise Conservation Reports endorsed by Heritage Council 30 June 2005 for a period of five years, expires 30 June 2010. Jun 30 2005
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act - Site Specific Exemptions a. Minor building alterations and additions to and uses of items of environmental heritage provided that the development does not impact on the heritage significance of the building, structure or landscape and as described in the following table:

Building Type
-Small and medium sized timber framed administration support and operational buildings generally dating from the late interwar years until the end of the Second World War.
- Large volume former explosives storehouses, dating form the interwar period until the end of the Second World War. Both brick and timber framed buildings are included in this category.
- Former residential buildings, including those currently used for office accommodation. Both brick and timer framed buildings are included in this category. Installation of new external security doors and screens to existing door openings. Extent of Alterations and Additions
-Installation of surface mounted internal and external communications cabling or upgraded power supply and fittings (including security, CCTV)
- Installation of new floor finishes such as carpet or vinyl over existing floor finishes.
- Upgrading of internal light fittings where these do not have heritage significance and the installation of additional internal light fittings and external lighting for security purposes.
- Installation of new internal furniture, where such installation does not require the removal of significant fittings.
- Infill or treatment of rail track to minimise trip hazards where the work is completely reversible.
- Upgrading of, and connection to, services such as sewer and water where no impact on significant archaeology will result.
- Minor penetrations to accommodate ventilation and fire safety (including air conditioning).
- Installation of fire safety features such as hose reels, hydrants.

b. Routine maintenance and renewal of existing landscaping, including garden beds and general landscaping;
c. Landscaping which is included in a Conservation Management Plan that has been endorsed by the Heritage Council.;
d. Temporary uses, buildings and structures (being for a period of two months or less) associated with festivals, minor and major events, markets, carnivals, outdoor cinemas, interactive video screens, street performers, entertainment, recreation and leisure activities, information booths, merchandising, food and beverage outlets, trade shows, exhibitions, public meetings and the like;
e. Signage for the purposes of event promotions, directional and identification signage, building identification signage and visitor way finding;
f. Demolition of exempt development that is defined as exempt under these Site Specific Exemptions;
g. Ecological works including minor habitat management and installation of fittings in bushland and wetland areas including bush regeneration, planting, vegetation removal, ecological burning, modification to existing weirs and weir settings, maintenance of tidal flushing channels and drainage systems, installation of bird hides and environmental monitoring devices and pest management activities, including mosquito larvae treatment within Newington Nature Reserve wetland.
h. Filming and photography provided that it does not involve:
-Changes or additions that are not merely superficial and temporary ;
- Mounting or fixing of any object or article on any heritage item;
- The movement or parking of any vehicle or equipment on areas not designed for that use; or
- Any permanent changes to vegetation or other natural or physical features of the item.
Jan 14 2011
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementDraft Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve, Sydney Olympic Park Conservation Management Plan Oct 26 2012
21(1)(b)Conservation Plan submitted for endorsementRevised Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve, Sydney Olympic Park Conservation Management Plan Nov 18 2013

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0185014 Jan 11 250

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
TourismAttraction homepage1890Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve View detail
WrittenAustralian Dictionary of Biography Online Edition2009John Blaxland (1769-1845) View detail
WrittenDesign 5 Architects2005Concise Conservation Report - Newington Armory, Building 5
WrittenDon Godden and Associates1989Newington Armaments Depot - Conservation Policies for Individual precincts
WrittenFox & Associates, Architects and Planners1986Homebush Bay Conservation Study
WrittenGBA Heritage2016Concise Statement of Heritage Impact - Proposed Minor Alterations - Exemption Notification - Building 5 Newington Armament Depot and Nature Reserve
Management Plan (HC endorsed)Graham Brooks & Associates2003Millennium Parklands Heritage Precinct : Conservation Master Plan
WrittenKerry Darcovich2010Internal SOPA Memorandum
WrittenNPWS and Sydney Olympic Park Authority2003Plan of Management for Newington Nature Reserve at Sydney Olympic Park View detail
WrittenPaul Irish2004When is a scar a scar? - Evaluating scarred and marked trees at Sydney Olympic Park
WrittenRobert Curran   View detail
WrittenRoberts, David (College Archivist)2013Newington College celebrates 150 years', in "The Newingtonian"
WrittenSydney Olympic Park2007New Park by the riverside, in 'Park News'
WrittenSydney Olympic Park Authority2004Newington Armory Secrets Revealed
WrittenSydney Olympic Park Trust2010Sydney Olympic Park Master Plan 2030

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5054828
File number: EF14/4344; H02/275; 09/3041


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.