Conservatorium of Music | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Conservatorium of Music

Item details

Name of item: Conservatorium of Music
Other name/s: Government House Stables, Governor's Stables
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Government and Administration
Category: Stables
Location: Lat: -33.8634021251 Long: 151.2143668180
Primary address: Macquarie St, Sydney, NSW 2000
Parish: St James
County: Cumberland
Local govt. area: Sydney
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Metropolitan
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT27 DP39586
PART LOT33 DP39586
LOT19 DP752057
 1 DP832310
LOT151 DP878851

Boundary:

The curtilage abbuts the Royal Botanic Gardens curtilage on the north, east and southern sides and follow the south, west and north boundary for lot 151 DP 878851.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Macquarie StSydneySydneySt JamesCumberlandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The Conservatorium of Music is of State Heritage Significance because the former Government House Stables is a notable example of Old Colonial Gothick architecture. It is a rare surviving example of the work of noted ex-convict architect Francis Greenway in the Old Colonial Gothick style. Greenway was instrumental in Macquarie accomplishing Macquarie's aim to transforming the fledgling colony into an orderly, well mannered society and environment. It is the only example of a gothic building designed by Greenway still standing. The cost and apparent extravagance was one of the reasons Macquarie was recalled to Britain.

The Conservatorium building also has strong associations with Macquarie's wife, Elizabeth, an influential figure in moulding the colony into a more ordered and stylish place under her husband and with the assistance of Greenway.

Since the building was converted for use as a Conservatorium in 1916, it has been the core music education institution in NSW and has strong associations with numerous important musicians.
Date significance updated: 15 Jul 09
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Francis Greenway, R Seymore Wells alterations (1913-1915), Chris Johnson Jackson Robin Dyke and Tan
Construction years: 1817-1820
Physical description: The Conservatorium of Music is a large building designed in the Early Colonial Gothick Picturesque style. Located on the western edge of the Royal Botanic Gardens, the building was originally designed to be the stables for the new Government House that Governor Macquarie hoped to be the stables for the new Government House that Macquarie hoped but did not succeed in building. The stables were designed by Francis Greenway who was appointed as civil architect on 30 March 1816. Greenway, who may have taken some of his Gothic inspiration from his time working with John Nash in England, or from direction from Elizabeth Macquarie. Elizabeth's cousin had been an English pioneer of the Gothic Revival design and his work influenced her husband Governor Macquarie in his attempts to give the young colony some order and style.

The stables were designed as a castellated fort. As part of Macquarie's scheme was to transform Sydney into an attractive city , the Stables were intended as part of a picturesque landscape suitable for a gentleman's residence that Macquarie envisaged around the Government House he wished to build.

The construction is of masonry with a sandstone base below rendered walls. Squat towers mark the corners of the complex and divide the main elevation to mark the main entries to the building. The external walls are parapeted with battlement parapets. The parapets to the towers have stylised machicolations below the cornice.

Entries are through wide pointed arch openings on the north and south sides. Ground floor windows are pairs of three pane casement sashes below a topflight. Label moulds frame the top of the ground floor window openings. The first floor has smaller single sash windows, most directly below the cornice mouldings. Small single sash windows are in the towers. Some windows, probably the original and reconstructed windows have sandstone reveals and margins. Others have rendered reveals and margins. Some original sandstone reveals survive, primarily on the east side. The main entries to the former stables have pointed arch openings.

The two storey ranges of rooms were arranged around a central courtyard. A few weals on the courtyard side of these ranges survive notably on the south side where they are left unrendered. The central courtyard was infilled and roofed over in 1913-1915 to house an auditorium as part of the conversion for the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. The new infill is a largely independent structure from the stables with rendered masonry walls supporting a hipped roof with ventilation gables at the east and west ends and topped by copper clad lanterns. Copper gutters are used with copper rainwater heads marked with the date 1914. Internally the building retains the general plan of the original with an outer ring of rooms around a corridor. The Verbruggen Hall is at the centre of the plan.

Basement level additions in 2001 provide a landscaped court on the east and north sides of the building. A new entry structure to the south of the former stables building connects the original stables to the basement additions.

Archaeological evidence of the roadway that led from First Government House to the stables has been conserved in the 2001 entry structure to the south of the original building. A water storage cistern dating from the 1790s remains in situ and the foundations of a c 1800 mill and bakery owned by John Palmer remain under the floor of the Verbrugghen Hall. A collection of artefacts unearthed during the restoration works is housed in the conservatorium. The collection and in situ archaeology constitute part of this listing.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Although converted into a Conservatorium, a good deal of original fabric remains in a fair to good condition. Archaeological investigations that accompanied recent additions were extensive and included deep excavation around the building.
Modifications and dates: Cantilevered awning added to the west side 1913-1915, removed 2001
Openings reconstructed 2001
Conservatorium extended with basement rooms and new entry on south side 2001
Upper floor openings in larger bays between towers added 2001
Verbrugghen Hall refitted 2001
West entry converted to window 2001
Extensive deep excavation around the Conservatorium for extensions and archaeological excavation 1998 - 2001 removed most of the archaeological evidence from the immediate surrounds of the site.
Further information: Although altered through conversion to a Conservatorium a good deal of original fabric remains and it is still perfectly legible as an Old Colonial Gothick building. Internally some of the original surfaces remain visible, though most have been covered to fit it out for its use as a Conservatorium.
Current use: Conservatorium of music, Conservatorium High School
Former use: Stables, servant accommodation

History

Historical notes: Coastal Aborigine people around Sydney were named as the 'Eora'. They lived off the rich plant, bird, animal and marine life surrounding the Harbour. Within what is now the City of Sydney local government area the traditional owners are the Cadigal and Wangal bands of the 'Eora'. There is no written record of the name 0f the language spoken and currently there are debates as to whether these people spoke a separate language or a dialect of the Dharug language.

Governor Arthur Philip arrived in 1788 with a pre-fabricated building which was assembled as his Government House, now partially on the current site of the Museum of Sydney and partially under Bridge Street. In its varied additions and permutations, it survived as the Sydney residence of the Governor until completion of the new Government House.

Governor Lachlan Macquarie took control of the colony in 1810 using that building as his Sydney residence. On 18 March 1816, he reported that he had postponed any changes to convert Sydney Government House into adequate accommodation. He noted the poor condition of the building saying that 'All the Offices, exclusive of being in a decayed and rotten State, are ill Constructed in regard to Plan and on Much too Small a Scale; they now exhibit a Most ruinous Mean, Shabby Appearance. No private Gentleman ion the Colony is so Very ill Accommodated with Offices as I am at this Moment, Not having Sufficient Room in the to lodge a Very Small Establishment of Servants; the Stables; if possible, are still worse than the other Offices, it having been of late frequently Necessary to prop them up with Timber Posts to prevent it falling, or being blown down by the Winds.' He noted that he wished to erect a new Government House and Offices in the Domain as soon as the Barracks was complete at the expense of the Police Fund. (HRA, 1, 9, p 70-71)

Bathurst soon responded writing on 30 January 1817 that he needed to see a plan and estimate of costs before he could approve the erection. (HRA, 1,9, p 205) In 1817, Macquarie resumed the sites of a bakehouse and mill on the proposed site. On 4 July 1817, he instructed former convict, Francis Greenway to prepare plans of offices and stables. Work commenced on the stables on 9 August 1817. (BT 27 p 6499) Macquarie replied to Bathurst on 12 December that he was disappointed with the lack of approval but claimed that no construction had commenced due to heavy rains. ( HRA, 1.9.p718-719) Macquarie laid the foundation stone for the stables on 16 December 1817. (HRA 1, 10, p813)

Though Greenway was the designer, it was not solely his work. In December 1819, Greenway noted that Macquarie saw the elevation before work began but that Mrs Macquarie gave him details of the number of rooms needed so that he could make a suitable plan. By 1819, according to Greenway, the stables were virtually planned though the barn in the range had become a stable. It then held 30 horses plus the stallions in the octagonal Towers. He estimated the cost of the stables to be 9000 pounds. ( Ritchie, 1971, vol 2, p 130, 132-133) In a letter to the Australian of 28 April 1825, he identified Thornbury Castle as his model. A relative of Mrs Macquarie, Archibald Campbell had been a pioneer of the Gothic architectural style in the late eighteenth century when he erected Inveray Castle and it may have had a greater influence on the design by Greenway. ( Kerr and Broadbent, 1980, 941) Yet on 7 February 1821, Major Druitt reported that Governor Macquarie had not liked the ornamentation of the towers and the rich Cornish around the battlements. (BT 27 p 6306-6307)

It was not until 24 March 1819 that Macquarie informed the Colonial Office that he had commenced building the stables, in contravention of a firm order from Bathurst. 'I had so long Suffered such very great Inconvenience from the want of a Secure Stables for my Horses and decent sleeping places for my Servants, that I had been under the Necessity of building a regular Suite of Offices of this Description in a Situation Contiguous to and sufficiently Convenient for the present Old Government House, and also in one that will equally suit and New Government House that my Successors may he hereafter Authorised to Erect. These Stables are built on a Commodious tho' not expensive Plan, and I expect they will be Completed in about three Months hence.' (HRA, 1,10, p97) Horses were prized possessions and very valuable. They needed to be protected from the weather and made secure from thieves. Early in 1819 Lt John Watts was sent from England with plans and estimates but these do not appear to have serviced. (BT 19, p2966-2969)

On 26 September 1819, Commissioner John Thomas Bigge arrived in the colony to report the effectiveness of transportation to NSW as a publishment for criminals. He was soon examining Macquarie's programme of public works and his policy of fostering former criminals to fill positions of authority. Bigge objected to the construction of the stables in October 19819 but noted that the work was so far advanced that to halt it would be a waste. (BT 19, p 2966-2969)

An 1820bplan held at the Mitchell Library is not a construction plan, but seem to show it in its finished state. It depicted the towers as accommodation for servants, plus a dairy next to one of the coach houses and accommodation for a dairy maid, cowman and lodge keeper. (ML VI/PUB/GOVS/1 120, 1820)

Architect Henry Kitchen was highly critical of the stables in evidence to Bigge on 29 January 1821 saying it was extravagant whilst not providing the accommodation needed. He described it as an 'incorrect attempt in the style of the castellated Gothic' with an area 174 feet by 130 feet housing 28 horses, [plus coach houses cow house and servant's quarters. (Ritchie 1971, vol 2, p 141) The stables were complete in February 1821.

Greenway is better known for his Georgian designs but he also created a number of buildings in the Gothic mode. Of these Forts Philip and Macquarie, Dawes Point Battery and the Parramatta Road Toll-gate have all been demolished. Only the Government House Stables survives of his Gothic buildings.( Kerr and Broadbent, 1980, p 40)

After Macquarie's return to Britain in 1821, the Stables has mixed uses. On 25 May 1825, Governor Thomas Brisbane suggested to Earl Bathurst that the 'Gothic Building on the pleasantest side of the Scite of the Domain, which was intended for a Government Stables, is utterly useless at present from the great disproportion of the Establishment of the Government, may be advantageously improved into a Government residence.' (HRA, 1, 11, p 617) On 30 June 1825, Earl Bathurst permitted Governor Ralph Darling to erect a new Government House or to convert the Stables into one though the estimates of costs would have to be sent to Britain for approval. ( HRA,1,12,p 9) Late in 1825, Brisbane had loaned the stables to the Australian Agricultural Company to temporarily house its livestock after it arrived.

There are a number of artist's views of the stables. This derived form its position overlooking the harbour as part of a vista of Sydney. It also acknowledged the stables as a piece of Gothic architecture, both romantic and picturesque. Even more to the point, it highlighted its role as a 'folly' in a managed landscape.

The stables remained under utilised. Governor Richard Bourke sought approval in February 1832 to erect a new Government House near the Stables by selling some of the Domain to raise funds. (HRA, 1, 16, p539-540)
He also suggested that rooms in the stables could accommodate some of the Government House servants. (HRA 1, 16, p 786)

At an inquiry into the building of the new Government House in 1836, Colonel George Barney originally suggested converting the stables into offices but later changed his mind to recommend demolition. Construction of the new Government House form 1837finally ensured that another building overshadowed the stables. After the erection of the New Government House, the stables were used to accommodate staff and horses.

Panoramic views form the top of the Garden Palace Exhibition building taken in 1881 by Charles Bayliss are the only known views of the internal courtyard and layout of the stables. ( Casey and Lowe Vol. 1. 2002. pp83 - 84)
Additions were made to the north side in the late 1870s or early 1880s ( Casey and Lowe, Vol.1 pp 85 - 86)

By about 1910, the building's role as a horse stables and staff accommodation was ending due to the increasing use of motor cars. In 1912 the Government declared the building would become a museum whilst the Minister for Public Instruction suggested it as an Academy of Fine Arts but the proposal turned into a specialist Conservatorium of Music.

From 1913 to 1915, work to convert it into a Conservatorium to the design of R Seymour Wells from the Government Architect's Office was undertaken, including the construction of a roof over the courtyard and the construction of a large auditorium. A new entrance of a cantilevered concrete awning was created and the former one removed. The windows and doors were altered considerably, though the castellated stuccoed exterior remained. (Karskens, 1989, pp 128 - 130) The Conservatorium auditorium was officially opened on 6 April 1915. (Karskens, 1989 p144) Henri Verbrugghen was appointed as Director on 20 May 1915 and teaching began on 6 March 1916. (Casel and Lowe Vol 1, 2002, p 96) The site was formerly dedicated with an area of 3 roods 20 perches for a Conservatorium of Music on 22 December 1916 but was revoked on 2 November 1917 for an enlarged area of 3 roods 31 perches ( NSWGG, 2 Nov 1917, 0 5994) The Conservatorium High School commenced in 1919 ( Casey and Lowe, Vol2, 2002, p 98)

After consideration of various proposals to increase accommodation, the Carr Labor government decided to rebuild on the site in 1995. The enlarged building designed by NSW Government Architect Chris Johnson and the private partnership of Daryl Jackson, Robin Dyke and Robert Tanner was completed in 2001. Construction work proceeded in tandem with a major archaeological investigation of the site of the extensions. Deep excavation around the original core of the building allowed the needs of accommodation be met while preserving views to the site. Technological solutions such as separating the building shell from the surrounding sandstone and resting much of the extensions on rubber pads allowed the special acoustic needs of the Conservatorium to be met despite its proximity to the Cahill Expressway and the underground railway line. The work won an Australian Award for Urban Design Excellence in 2002. (http://www.music,usyd.edu.au/friends/visit.shtml)

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Convict-Activities relating to incarceration, transport, reform, accommodation and working during the convict period in NSW (1788-1850) - does not include activities associated with the conviction of persons in NSW that are unrelated to the imperial 'convict system': use the theme of Law & Order for such activities (none)-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
The Conservatorium of Music is of historic significance at a State level because when it was designed and built the building was a key element in Governor Lachlan Macquarie's grand vision to make Sydney into an attractive, well designed city. The design was a result of Macquarie's ideas with input from his wife Elizabeth and was executed by ex convict architect Frances Greenway. Greenway had a key role in implementing landmark elements of Macquarie's designs for churches and public buildings. The Stables was the first stage of Macquarie's plan for a New Government House and although this was not built, the Stables influenced the new Government House that was eventually built. After the building's conversion to the Conservatorium of Music it has been the principal music education institution in the State from 1916 onwards and continues to fulfil its role in the building originally modified for this purpose.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The Conservatorium of Music is of State heritage significance through its association with Governor Lachlan Macquarie who commissioned the work, his wife Elizabeth who strongly influenced the design and ex convict architect Francis Greenway who designed the building. On 30 March 1816 Greenway was appointed as the colony's first 'Civil Architect', the forerunning position to the Government Architect. In its role as the principal music education institution in NSW for many years it has strong and significant association with noted musicians and administrators such as Henry Verbrugghen and Eugene Goossens who were Directors of the Conservatorium.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The Conservatorium building is of aesthetic significance at a State level as it is a notable exemplar of the Old Colonial Gothick Picturesque style of architecture in Australia. In addition it is the only surviving example of this style of architecture designed by Francis Greenway. Its strong symmetry, battlemented parapet walls, squat towers, pointed arch and square headed openings, label moulded over windows make the building an aesthetically distinctive example of Old Colonial Gothick Picturesque style.

The substantial size of the building for a stable, the use of the picturesque style and its location on the edge of the Governor's Domain demonstrate the ambition of Governor Macquarie in creating order and style in the town of Sydney. Once complete and lacking its accompanying new Government House, it was a landmark 'folly' in a managed landscape inspiring young artists and adding a touch of romance to a colony seen by British eyes as devoid of legend and antiquity.

The Conservatorium of Music continues to feature as a prominent landmark in the townscape and the Royal Botanic Gardens. It features as a focal point at the entry leading to Government House.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
The Conservatorium of Music is of State heritage significance for its association with generations of noted Australian musicians. It was and continues to be a focus for musical activity attracting visiting performers to perform in the auditorium
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The Conservatorium is of State heritage significance as it's potential archaeological resource has not been exhausted despite extensive investigation. The results of archaeological investigations to date have revealed much about the early history and activity of the colony and many artefacts uncovered are displayed and interpreted in the new building.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Being the only surviving example of Francis Greenways design in the Old Colonial Gothic Picturesque style makes the Conservatorium of Music an rarity. In addition it also appears to be the only extant stable block in the Sydney CBD which survives from the Macquarie period.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
The Conservatorium is of State heritage significance as a fine example of Old Colonial Gothic Picturesque and demonstrates the principal elements of this style in its strong symmetry, battlemented parapet walls, squat towers, pointed arch and square headed openings, label moulded over windows.
Integrity/Intactness: Although subject to alteration to fit it out as a Conservatorium, a good deal of the original fabric remains extant and it is still perfectly legible as an Old Colonial Gothic building. Internally some of the original surfaces remain visible, though most have been covered to fit it out as a Conservatorium
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act - Site Specific Exemptions 1. All Standard Exemptions
2. Works and activities in accordance with a reviewed and endorsed Conservation Management Plan for the Conservatorium Music Precinct and the Conservatorium Gardens Maintenance Plan which clearly identifies exempt works.
3. 3. Works and activities associated with the conservation and management of the Conservatorium of Music, Sydney and the Conservatorium High School moveable heritage collection as guided by an endorsed Collection Management Plan which clearly identifies exempt works.
4. Works and activities associated with the maintenance and upkeep of the non heritage fabric associated with the 2001 extension of the Conservatorium of Music complex.
5. . Works and activities associated with the Conservatorium of Music, Sydney and Conservatorium High School Interpretation Plan.
6. Works and activities associated with the maintenance and upkeep of landscaped gardens and grounds including; mowing,tree surgery, removal or pruning of trees considered a danger to the public or staff or necessary to the health of the tree. Maintenance, repair of existing roads, paths, fences, garden edges, rendered retaining walls and gates.
7. 7. Works and activities to allow repair and replacement of aluminium doors to Sprinkler/Hydrant Booster in Western forecourt area.
8. Works and activities associated with the repair, painting and equipment replacement in the loading dock and all plant and equipment rooms in the complex.
9. Works and activities associated with the maintenance and upkeep of all skirting boards.
10. Works and activities associated with general cleaning of walls an floors
11. Works and activities associated with the replacement of floor tiles in the Western entry.
12. Works and activities associated with the replacement of carpet throughout the building complex.
13. Works and activities associated with the repair and re-staining of timberwork in accordance with a reviewed and endorsed Conservation Management Plan.
14. Works and activities associated with the replacement of workstations and furniture throughout the Conservatorium complex.
15. Works and activities associated with installation of computing and audio visual equipment providing these utilise existing conduits and do not impact on material deemed to be of some, considerable or exceptional significance in a reviewed and endorsed Conservation Management Plan.
16. Works and activities associated with the repair and replacement of elevators which do not require structural alterations.
17. Works and Activities associated with minor roof repairs.
18. Works and activities associated with the painting of window sashes in accordance with an endorsed Conservation Management Plan.
19. Works and activities associated with the replacement of laminated glass panels and window glass except for significant windows and sashes in the Greenway building.
20. Works and activities associated with the cleaning of air vents throughout the building complex.
21. Works and activities associated with the ongoing surfacing and maintenance of roadways, verges, drainage, pedestrian pathways where these do not impact on assessed significant archaeology as outlined in an endorsed Archaeology Management Plan.
22. Activities associated with public functions and events that are in accordance with an endorsed and reviewed Conservation Management and Archaeological Management Plan.
23. Works and activities associated with the temporary projection of imagery on to the external walls of the Conservatorium for art and to promote Conservatorium of Music and Conservatorium High School activities where it is not of a commercial or business nature.
24. Temporary structures (including stages, fencing, portable lavatories, food and beverage services and small marquees) associated with special events to be erected where they have no adverse effect for periods of time of up to 6 weeks duration and limited to 84 days per year. Such structures must be dismantled within 48 hours of the completion of the event.
25. Activities associated with the use of rooms and spaces in the Conservatorium of Music and the Conservatorium High School for teaching, performance, rehearsal and study.
26. All improvements to the operational efficiency and all changes to the backstage infrastructure of performance venues (such as widening the loading door or updating flying systems) where these have no adverse effect on fabric rated some, considerable or exceptional significance in an endorsed CMP.
27. Works and activities associated with the installation of safety barriers in the level 3 storage areas
28. All permanent security arrangements for the complex where these have no adverse effect on fabric rated of some, considerable or exceptional significance in an endorsed Conservation Management Plan.
29. All temporary and permanent signage for room designations, exit signs and complex name signs approved by the Management Committee of the Conservatorium complex. This would not include the name sign located on the Greenway Building i.e. Conservatorium of Music 1915 which would remain unchanged and covered by the Conservation Management Plan.
30. The installation of semi-permanent plasma and flat screen displays for the purpose of promoting performances and sponsors, that are consistent with an endorsed and reviewed Conservation Management Plan, have no adverse effect on fabric rated some, considerable or exceptional significance in the CMP and do not obstruct views identified as significant in the CMP.
31. Display of temporary foot path signage advertising the Café/restaurant in the Western Forecourt.
32. Works and activities associated with the fit out and improvement of shops and restaurants provided there is no adverse impact on significant heritage deemed to be of some, considerable or exceptional heritage significance in a reviewed and endorsed Conservation Management Plan.
33. Location of tables and chairs and decorative flower vases/pots used to set out the outdoor area of the cafe in the Western forecourt near the main entrance to the building.
Jan 14 2011

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0184914 Jan 11 247&48
Local Environmental PlanSydney City LEP 2012I173014 Dec 12   
National Trust of Australia register  649005 Apr 76   
Register of the National EstateConservatorium of Music222521 Mar 78   

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 1820Government House Stables
WrittenBroadbent, James and Hughes, Joy1979Francis Greenway Architect
WrittenCasey and Lowe Pty Ltd2002Archaeological Investigation Site Macquarie St Sydney, Vol 1: History and Archaeology
WrittenD Collins2001Sounds from the Stables: The story of Sydney's Conservatorium
WrittenGrace Karskens1989The House on the Hill: the Conservatorium and First Class Music in Lenore Coltheart (ed),Significant Sites: History and Public Works in NSW
WrittenGroup State Projects NSW DPWS1997Conservation Management Plan - Sydney Conservatorium of Music formerly the Stables to Government House
WrittenHigginbotham, Edward1992Archaeological Report
WrittenIreland, Tracy1998Archaeological Report
WrittenKerr, Joan and Broadbent, James1980Gothick Taste in the Colony of NSW

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5060991
File number: S97/00190/007


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.