Cintra - House, Garden and Stables | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Cintra - House, Garden and Stables

Item details

Name of item: Cintra - House, Garden and Stables
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Category: Villa
Location: Lat: -32.7309272864 Long: 151.5455738060
Primary address: 34 Regent Street, Maitland, NSW 2320
Parish: Maitland
County: Northumberland
Local govt. area: Maitland
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Mindaribba
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP996931
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
34 Regent StreetMaitlandMaitlandMaitlandNorthumberlandPrimary Address
Bonar StreetMaitlandMaitland  Alternate Address

Owner/s

Organisation NameOwner CategoryDate Ownership Updated
 Private 

Statement of significance:

Cintra House, Garden and Stables is of State heritage significance for its exceptional aesthetic value as an outstanding, highly intact example of a Victorian Italianate style town villa with original and early interiors and extant outbuildings and service wings, including the original stables, kitchen, scullery and laundry, set within an historic landscaped garden setting. The house within its setting is a widely recognised architectural landmark in Maitland. It contributes to the heritage of the Hunter Valley, demonstrating the pattern of settlement and commercial expansion of the region prior to the growth of Newcastle.

Constructed in 1878, it is significant for its historical associations with the eminent Hunter architectural firm of J.W. Pender, who designed the house and outbuildings; the famous Jewish merchant families of Levy and Cohen, for whom Cintra was built; and its association and links to the Jewish community in Maitland and Sydney, NSW, and the United Kingdom.

It is rare in terms of its exceptional integrity and intactness and is a benchmark of its architectural style.
Date significance updated: 10 Aug 12
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Buildings and extensions: John Wiltshire Pender; Garden: Mr R Culbert (Sydney landscape architect)
Builder/Maker: House, Stables, Fence & Garden - Robert James; 1887 Ext. - H Noad; Underground water tanks -I Morris
Construction years: 1878-1879
Physical description: GARDEN
Cintra has retained its original driveways, garden, stables and coach house.

The formal late nineteenth century town/ villa garden is entered through the original wrought iron carriage and pedestrian gates hung on moulded sandstone posts at the front of the property. The gates lead onto the brick edged heart shaped lawn which surrounds a carriage loop. The lawn in the centre of the loop is adorned with a pair of terracotta urns on pedestals, by the Sydney potter Thomas Field. Two tall elaborate iron light standards flank the stone steps to the house.

A gravelled drive continues from the loop, around the house to allow carriage access to the coach house at the rear. The drive is lined with hedges of may bush (Spiraea sp.), Cape plumbago (P.capensis), olive (Olea europaea), Wisteria sp. and leads to random built stone walls delineating the service area.

Formal lawns and pathways border the house. To each side of the carriage loop are irregularly curving beds, which still contain the descendants and original palms and bird-of-paradise-flowers (Strelitzia sp.), along with other plantings including shrubs and perennials popular in the Victorian age.

A brick edged path runs parallel to the northern eastern boundary fence, separated by a border of shrubs. The brick edging was originally tiles, fragments of which remain beneath the ground. To the north of the house another open rectangular lawn, originally described as being for croquet and bowls, has two very large elaborate cast and wrought iron flower jardinires along the path on the eastern end. After the First World War a tennis court was constructed on the northern lawn, but has since been removed to reinstate the original lawn.

To the south and west (rear) of the house although there are some mature trees there is modest landscaping. Araucarias originally bordered the Regent Street entrance. Throughout Cintra's grounds are significant mature Bunya Bunya (Araucaria bidwillii), hoop pine (A.cunninghamii), Cape chestnut (Calodendron capense), lemon scented gums (Corymbia citriodora), jacarandas (J.mimosifolia), Canary Island pine (Pinus canariensis), Brazilian pepper trees (Schinus molle var.areira), small leafed figs (Ficus sp.) and Moreton Bay figs (F.macrophylla).

A summer house, now demolished, overlooked the lawn from the west. The property also contains a coach house and stables building along the rear boundary and two other garden sheds between the rear boundary and the house.

HOUSE
Cintra is a large two-storey villa built in the late Victorian era in the Italianate boom style of architecture. It is situated on its original block with driveways, paths, gardens, lawns, stables etc in their original layout. The house is built of brick on a concrete foundation, and rendered with a slate roof. The house has 31 rooms, balconies, verandahs and a three storey tower totalling over 965 square metres. The tower reaches to 14 metres above the entry vestibule and is topped with cast iron embellishments. Above the smoking room/ attic within the tower was a 2,000 gallon water tank fed by a pumping system from a 7,500 gallon circular underground tank at the rear of the house. Linked to this a rectangular underground tank was constructed to hold a further 20,000 gallons. The home was therefore serviced interiorly by both gravity feed or if necessary by pumping, as also were the gardens. The mansard roofed tower is also covered in Bangor slates.

The balconies have iron roofs supported at the corners by curved solid timber beams and finely fluted cast iron Corinthian columns over 4.3 metres tall, produced by Taylor and Wearing of Redfern. There is extensive and intricate cast-iron lace balustrading and trellis on the balconies. The cast iron verandah friezes feature a design of grape vine and leaf with pendant fruit painted and highlighted.

The villa has two wings to the rear which form a U-shaped courtyard. Internally, there are two staircases in addition to the servants' stairs, attic stairs and cellar stairs. The main staircase rises from the entrance hall and has finely turned cedar balusters and decorative newel posts. The second staircase is in the north wing.

The rooms are lofty (ceiling height downstairs is 4 metres and upstairs 3.7m), well-proportioned with cedar joinery and elaborate cornices to the major rooms. The rooms opening onto the verandahs have stone thresholds, French doors and louvered shutters. Many of the rooms have marble mantlepieces with tessellated tile hearths. The bathrooms for the upstairs bedrooms were fitted with hot and cold water, a shower bath and lavatory.

The main public rooms feature marble mantlepieces. The original interior detailing, exuded luxury, from the costly imported gas light fittings to the ebony and gold or white and gold door furniture.

The single storey wing on the southwest side of the building contains the original kitchen, scullery and laundry. The external barred airshaft to the cellar is visible on the south wall.

Beneath the house is a cellar and a strong room arched in solid brickwork, which may have been fitted with an iron safe door prior to 1915.

When Benn W. Levy relocated from Cintra back to London in 1887 to operate the Cohen company there, the original household furniture and effects were put up for sale by auction. The auction notice that ran in the Maitland Mercury (February 1887) describes the contents of the house in full with descriptive detail including shape, colour, and design of the furniture and contents. No original contents remain except for a cupboard (possibly used as a kitchen sideboard/shelves but now functions as a bookcase).

STABLES
At the rear of the house is a two-storeyed sandstock brick gabled building which includes coach house and stables over a stone flagged floor with dish drain. In the Maitland Mercury April 26, 1879, the ground floor of the stables building is described as including a coach house, harness room, two stalled stable and loose box. The rooms were thoroughly ventilated with louvre windows. Above the stables on the first floor is a hay loft and a groom's room. This building was connected to the water tanks and sewer pits.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The house and garden have been maintained to an excellent standard, with the aim of conserving the property's authenticity and original architectural features, plantings and landscape elements.

Although it is spaciously planted, the density of vegetation reflects its original appearance and is true to its Victorian design. Large plantings such as the Araucarias have been removed and replaced with young trees for safety reasons.

The high scallop-topped front picket fence, which is shown in a c.1895 photograph, has also been replaced. However, the design and construction of the new fence replicates the original fencing, as closely as possible, and retains the original gates and piers.

The paths and carriageway (currently a driveway) are maintained with locally sourced, finely graded washed river gravel as per the original paths and carriageway.

Within the grounds there is archaeological potential for the footings and under-floor deposit of the Summer House. The underground water tanks remain in situ. Post holes may exist in an archaeological context where the horse yards were situated to the south east of the coach house and stables building.

Bill Jordan & Associates 2010 letter indicates that there is evidence of cracking and overall movement of the masonry walls within the house, which requires attention.
Date condition updated:24 Apr 14
Modifications and dates: 1887 - second phase of construction: second wing added on the northern side, consisting of a billiard room, servants' hall, housekeeper's room, an additional four bedrooms and bathroom facilities.
1988 - refurbishment: demolition and replacement of unoriginal bathrooms and kitchen.
1990-1992 -verandah restoration.
Date unknown-replica fence.

Recommended Management: Preparation of a Conservation Management Plan and Cyclical Maintenance Plan.
Further information: Aside from the heritage listings and resources recorded in the references section, Cintra is featured in a number of other publications, for its significant and admirable original features. These publications include:

Howard Tanner, Philip Cox, Peter Bridges, James Broadbent 1975, 'Restoring Old Australian Homes and Buildings - An Architectural Guide', Macmillan Publishers.

Philip Cox, Howard Tanner, Meredith Walker 1978, 'The Hunter Valley - Regional Heritage Series', Macmillan Publishers.

Australian Heritage Commission 1981, 'The Illustrated Register of the National Estate', Macmillan Publishers.

Ian Evans, Clive Lucas, Ian Stapleton 1984, 'Colour Schemes for Old Australian Houses', Flannel Flower Press Pty Ltd.

Joanna Capon 1991, 'The Australian Home Renovator - A Practical Guide to Plaster Work', Random Century Australia.

Readers Digest 1993 & 2010, 'Readers Digest Illustrated Guide to Australian Places', Readers Digest (Australia) Pty Ltd.

Barry Maitland 1999, 'Index of Projects by the Pender Practice', Copyright Reserved.

Richard Aitken and Michael Looker 2002, 'The Oxford Companion to Australian Gardens', Oxford University Press.

Janis Wilton 2010, 'Maitland Jewish Cemetery - A Monument to Dreams and Deeds', Maitland Regional Art Gallery.

Australian Heritage Commission 1991, 'A Technical Publication on Australian Garden Types and the Development of Garden Styles', Australian Heritage Commission.

Six of the original Pender plans for Cintra are included in this nomination. The complete collection of original plans are available in the Pender Archive at the University of Newcastle. There are 13 plans of Cintra as follows:
Archive 01 Gates
Archive 02 Gates in detail
Archive 03 Stables Elevation and Floor Plan
Archive 04 Cohen Additions Elevation and Floor Plan
Archive 05 Unavailable at time of nomination
Archive 06 Tower
Archive 07 Gateway, Property Layout including Horse Yard
Archive 08 Ground Floor Plan
Archive 09 First Floor Plan
Archive 10 Roof Plan
Archive 11 Side Elevations
Archive 12 Block Plan showing location of Tanks and the Tower in section
Archive 13 Front Elevation
Current use: Residence
Former use: Residence, Guest House, Private Hospital

History

Historical notes: CINTRA HOUSE, GARDEN and STABLES
The early history of Cintra is connected to the Levy and Cohen families, part of an important Jewish merchant family locally and internationally.

Cintra was designed and constructed as a private residence for Benn W. Levy in 1878 by Maitland architect J.W. Pender. Benn Levy became the head of the Cohen business in London in 1886, moving there in 1887. This saw ownership of Cintra transferred to his cousin Neville Cohen. In 1887 Pender designed extensions to Cintra for Neville Cohen and his family. Originally the house had 23 rooms, and the extensions added a second wing on the northern side, making it 31 rooms including the attic and cellar.

Early in the 20th century, business and family dispersion rendered Cintra impracticable to the Cohen family and was sold to the Long family in 1917. Cintra was left in the charge of five sisters and was run as a private hospital from World War One until the late 1930s when it again became a private residence. The sisters, "though genteel, when left to their own devices, pursued life-long careers in art, music, nursing, physiotherapy and advertising." Cintra as a private hospital was operated under the auspices of Nurse Eileen Long until its closure in the late 1930s or early 1940s due to lack of resources. The hospital is known to still be operating in 1938.

Strong rumours surfaced during the period that the hospital closed that the property would be taken over by the Department of Defence. However, this did not take place. Instead, residential flats were established in the northern wing. The present owner took possession in 1965 and the flats were left vacant until as they became unoccupied and were later restored as part of the private residence. (Long, 2012 & Council Rate books)

The present owners have undertaken maintenance and restoration works to the interior and exterior, including painting, garden works and fencing. Although there is an extensive movable heritage collection, inclusive of personal possessions from the last century onwards which contribute to Cintra's appearance, these are not original to the property. The garden, complete with its original planting schemes and garden features contributes significantly to the house and as evidence of the period to which it belongs. (Shellshear, 1990)

THE DAVID COHEN COMPANY IN AUSTRALIA
The growing Jewish community in Maitland in the late nineteenth century contributed to the urban and economic development of Maitland. More importantly, the families of the David Cohen Company played a central role in the development of commercial ventures in the region and expanded the trade of the colony. The David Cohen company's store and warehouse was notable, as its "size and opulence visually marked the prosperity of its proprietors and of the town, and when connected to other buildings constructed for the company and its family of owners in Maitland, Newcastle and Sydney, the success of David Cohen & Company is clearly widespread, deep, awe inspiring and formidable".

Benn Levy and Neville Cohen were the descendents of the founders of David Cohen & Co. Ltd. Benn Levy was the nephew of David Lewis Levy who founded the renowned Lewis' department store in Liverpool, UK, while Neville Cohen was the cousin of George Judah Cohen, the chairman of the CBC Bank in the early 20th century and who was praised as the 'doyen' of Australian banking.

Brothers David, Lewis and Samuel Cohen arrived in Australia between 1831 and 1840. In 1835 Lewis and Samuel bought land in High Street, Maitland which later became the site of their warehouse. In 1836 Samuel opened a shop selling a wide variety of goods and known as Lambeth House. This was the beginning of the Cohen family company in Australia. In 1837 Lewis and Samuel established a business partnership. However, this only lasted until 1839. Samuel continued to trade in Maitland while Lewis set up business in Campbelltown and Sydney. In 1840 their first cousin, Lewis Wolfe Levy migrated to Australia. He lived briefly in Maitland before opening a successful store in Tamworth. Lewis returned to Maitland in 1854. The brother's business interests were consolidated between 1843 and 1845. Samuel Levy filed for insolvency in 1843 and his brother David took over the debts. In 1845 Lewis Levy joined the firm. David Cohen's name (the youngest brother) was given to the firm due to the quality of his reputation and the company became the largest firm in the Maitland district. (Fredman, 1985))

The company constructed a warehouse on their land in High Street in 1865 that was designed by John Horbury Hunt. From 1880 onwards they commissioned and leased a number of other warehouses including constructing the six-storey warehouse at their Newcastle East site in 1890.

David Cohen and Co. sold whatever goods were popular and could be imported in reasonable condition at the time. These included tools, clocks, sewing machines and electro-plated ware imported from America. From around 1900 they concentrated on English branded grocery lines and teas in their advertising.(Fredman, 1985)

Lewis Levy led a vigorous expansion of David Cohen and Co. The company prospered, the firm grew and the partners of the company became more prominent in society. In 1912 David Cohen and Co became a public company and George Cohen, Chairman of the CBC Bank and the United Insurance Company, became its first Chairman. A resolution ensured that the company remained firmly in the control of the family. (Fredman, 1985)

David Cohen & Co. Ltd continued the business of wholesale grocery and market of products from outside Australia until its decline when local manufacturing and delivery in Australia took over. The company never recovered from the Depression. The company name is preserved on the Frederick Menkens designed Bolton Street warehouse, Newcastle.

THE COHEN AND LEVY FAMILIES
Samuel Cohen and Lewis Levy both became members of parliament for country seats. Members of both families also served charities, local community organisations and hospitals during their lifetime. Dr R.J. Pierce of Maitland Hospital Committee commented that few firms in the colony were as generous to charitable causes as David Cohen & Co. In 1888 Lewis Levy's family gave to Sydney the marble fountain topped by a bronze figure near the Woolloomooloo gates of the Botanical Gardens. Neville and Samuel Cohen were president of Maitland and Newcastle hospitals respectively during their rebuilding. George, Samuel and Neville all held office in the Great Synagogue of Sydney and the family exercised influential leadership in the small Jewish communities of Maitland and Newcastle. The family, particularly Samuel (the elder) and George Cohen, were integral to the establishment of the Jewish Synagogue in Maitland, c. 1879, the first outside of Sydney. Samuel Cohen established the German Jewish Relief Fund which became the Australian Jewish Welfare Society and raised funds, with Commonwealth government support from 1938, to select and provide for deserving refugees to migrate to Australia. (Fredman, 1985)

COMPARATIVE INFORMATION
A review of Hunter Region heritage listings identifies a small number of large Victorian Italianate boom style villas constructed in the 1870-90s, which originally enjoyed substantial gardens and outbuildings. Most have since been subdivided or adapted for residential flats and significantly altered internally. Regional Victorian villas of similar age to Cintra, but smaller in scale, in more restricted settings and internally altered include Grossman House, Bishops Residence, Benholm, Moncrieff and 86-88 Victoria Street in Maitland, and Atherstone in Muswellbrook. Cintra is the principal intact example of the highly creative work of the architectural firm of J.W. Pender in this period; Anambah House at Rutherford and Belltrees at Scone being later.

Cintra, however, retains its entire original garden setting, mature plantings and stables outbuilding. Its outstanding architectural integrity and its remarkable intactness sets it apart in terms of its aesthetic significance. Its historic association with the Cohen and Levy families, and the continual stewardship of the Long family has effectively conserved and maintained the authenticity and integrity of this remarkable property.

JW Pender's architectural practice operated for 125 years, with his son Walter, and grandson Ian continuing his work. Pender's work includes aforementioned Benhome, Leeholme and numerous civic and business buildings around the Hunter Valley and further afield. The firm's original drawings, specifications and other records are now conserved in the University of Newcastle library, including the documents for their grand Villa design, Cintra.

In the early 1990s Cintra received two loans allowing the owners to conserve its original intact verandah over a two year period of works. Tallowwood (Eucalyptus microcorys) was used as a substitute for the original beech wood, which had become unsafe due to water damage (Pennay, 1996).

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Environment - cultural landscape-Activities associated with the interactions between humans, human societies and the shaping of their physical surroundings (none)-
4. Settlement-Building settlements, towns and cities Towns, suburbs and villages-Activities associated with creating, planning and managing urban functions, landscapes and lifestyles in towns, suburbs and villages (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Creative endeavour-Activities associated with the production and performance of literary, artistic, architectural and other imaginative, interpretive or inventive works; and/or associated with the production and expression of cultural phenomena; and/or environments that have inspired such creative activities. (none)-
8. Culture-Developing cultural institutions and ways of life Domestic life-Activities associated with creating, maintaining, living in and working around houses and institutions. (none)-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Cintra demonstrates the pattern of development of the Hunter region, as pastoralism establishes town development and commercial expansion, followed by civic infrastructure and community pride.
Its detailed architectural design and complementary outbuilding and gates are evidence of the development of Maitland's permanent settlement and the expansion of Jewish commercial interests in the region.
Cintra is physical evidence of the growth and expansion of the prominent architectural firm of J.W. Pender and of the local and regional development of quality tradesman and suppliers able to construct substantial buildings within the region.
The house and garden form a cultural landscape demonstrating the continuous pattern of residential use and occupation by the Cohen and Long families over 125 years.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
Cintra has significance for its strong and lengthy association with John W. Pender, a Maitland architect prominent in the development of the Hunter region in the nineteenth century. Cintra's extension was also designed by John. W. Pender, who possessed a wide range of talents including cast iron frieze designs and manufacturing. He was a successful entrepreneur and well respected civic leader.

The life and work of the Cohen and Levy families is especially associated with Cintra, which originally belonged to Benn Levy and Neville Cohen, part of a well-known Jewish merchant family important in the development of trade, commerce and the economy in Maitland, Newcastle, Sydney and the UK. Both families were generous to the community and charitable causes, the Levy fountain at the Woolloomooloo gates of the Sydney Botanical Gardens being testament to this.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Cintra is State significant for its ability to demonstrate the aesthetic characteristics of both the Victorian era town villa and the Victorian Italianate style of architecture. The property is an intact and representative example of boom period house and garden in rural towns of the late nineteenth century. The property's curved carriage loop, ornamental specimen plants, decorative urns, elaborate gates, intricate cast iron verandah friezes, asymmetrical massing, prominent tower, grouped openings, colonnaded loggia, rendered wall finish, stepped lintels, bracketed eaves, low pitched hipped verandah roof, charm, formality and status in the landscape, are all characteristics that epitomise the Victorian period Italianate design (c. 1840- c.1890). Not only is the house aesthetically significant at a State level, it is complemented by a garden of "attractive enclosed scenes with detail and focii, and a heart shaped carriage way". The villa complex is exceptionally intact with its original and early interiors and original stables, carriage house, water tanks, kitchen, laundry and scullery at the rear.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Cintra has special associations with the early Jewish community in New South Wales. It represents the hard earned success of the Jewish merchant families and also their contribution to the Jewish community and Australian society. Their commercial ventures saw the Hunter Region well supplied with goods and products from the UK and the latest from America. The Cohen and Levy families created significant commercial and residential buildings such as Cintra, and the 1879 David Cohen and Co. warehouse (the lower storey of which still remains in High Street, Maitland). The Cohen and Levy families were well respected in both the Jewish and wider community. The Cohen family were also the prime instigators for church services and eventually the construction of the Maitland Synagogue, the first outside of Sydney. Many descendants of the original owners and others associated with these two Jewish families have visited Cintra both from the local area and as far as Jamaica, Montana and London.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Cintra, together with its garden and stables, is State significant as a benchmark reference site for NSW's Boom style villas.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Cintra is State significant as a rare example of a boom style Victorian Italianate Villa in a regional setting. This Late Victorian Villa is of exceptional integrity, with original house layout, original and early interiors, kitchen, scullery, laundry wing, coach house, stables and garden remaining intact.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Cintra is State significant as a benchmark property, important in demonstrating accurately the architectural and landscaping style of an Italianate Victorian country town villa, remarkably retaining special features including of note, the heart shaped carriage loop and lawn. Cintra is Maitland’s principal residence of the High Victorian era, and its most intact and fine example of boom-style architecture. It retains all the dominant architectural style indicators including intricate cast iron friezes, asymmetrical massing, prominent tower, complemented by a period garden in its original layout, decorative urns, elaborate gates and the original coach house and stables building. The formality and authenticity of the house and garden have ensured that Cintra House epitomises the Victorian period Italianate design (c. 1840- c.1890).
Integrity/Intactness: Cintra is exceptionally intact, the house still sited on its original allotment. All original outbuildings except for the Summer House (now demolished) are extant, and the garden layout retains its original design and plantings, except for the replacement of a few key specimen trees with younger varieties. The front fence has been replaced with a new fence that replicates the original. A council footpath and roadway encroaches slightly in the south west corner.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Aug 31 2012

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0189231 Aug 12 863839
Local Environmental Plan     
National Trust of Australia register  378631 May 76   
Register of the National EstateCintra and Stables123521 Mar 78   
Register of the National EstateCintra Gardens123614 May 91   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Hunter Region Heritage Study - nineteenth Century Buildings1982 David Sheedy  No

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenApperly, Irving and Reynolds1989A Pictorial Guide to Identifying Australian Architecture
WrittenAthel Dombrain1981Historic Buildings of Maitland District
WrittenBarry Maitland2012Cintra - unpublished manuscript
WrittenBill Jordan and Richard Long2010Heritage Grant Application - Cintra
WrittenCity Plan Urban Design and URAP/TTW2009Central Maitland Structure Plan
WrittenCynthia Hunter Maitland Architecture - 19 Decades of Residential Design in Hearths & Homes
WrittenHunter River Agricultural and Horticultural Association2011150 - the Maitland Show 1861-2011
WrittenJanice Wilton2010Maitland Jewish Cemetery - A Monument to Dreams and Deeds
WrittenL E Fredman1985David Cohen & Co: The Family and the Firm. In Journal of Hunter Valley History Vol 1 No 1.
WrittenPennay, Bruce1996Looking after your community's heritaeg - an introductory guide for Local Government Councillors
WrittenR. Long2012Personal Correspondence
WrittenUnknown1879Mr Levy's Residence, Regent Street in Maitland

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5061684
File number: s90/03864/1 s92/00990/1


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.