Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Sodwalls, Fish River Descent Precinct | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Sodwalls, Fish River Descent Precinct

Item details

Name of item: Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Sodwalls, Fish River Descent Precinct
Other name/s: Coxs Road, Old Bathurst Road
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Transport - Land
Category: Road
Location: Lat: -33.594129 Long: 149.955481
Primary address: Cuthill Road (off), Sodwalls, NSW 2790
Parish: Thornshope
County: Westmoreland
Local govt. area: Lithgow
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Bathurst
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
CROWN LAND    
PART LOT204 DP1078651
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Cuthill Road (off)SodwallsLithgowThornshopeWestmorelandPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

The surviving remnants of Cox's Road, built 1814 to 1815, have state significance as the earliest road across the Blue Mountains and the first structure built by Europeans west of the Blue Mountains. Building of this road followed from the prior exploration by Gregory Blaxland, William Lawson and William Wentworth, and the survey by George Evans. The successful construction of the road was symbolic of the conquest of the natural barrier created by the Blue Mountains, and represented Governor Macquarie's vision for the ongoing development of the colony beyond Sydney and its immediate surrounds. Cox's Road enabled the later opening of the hinterland beyond the Blue Mountains for subsequent settlement, pastoral and agricultural expansion, which then escalated the dispossession of Aboriginal peoples from their lands.

William Cox was well known among convicts for his power to recommend pardons and tickets of leave. Most of the convicts who volunteered for the work to open a track to the interior were emancipated, receiving Pardons or Tickets of Leave on completion of the work.

The surviving road fabric demonstrates the crude and hurried nature of Cox's work, and the techniques used in tracing, cutting and forming the road. In conjunction with later colonial road alignments on the mountains and elsewhere, Cox's Road also forms part of a suite of roads demonstrating the wide range of road building styles and standards employed during the colonial period.
Date significance updated: 10 Nov 14
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: William Cox
Builder/Maker: William Cox; Convict Road Party
Construction years: 1814-1815
Physical description: William Cox had been instructed by Governor Macquarie only to open a rough cart road, so that the new lands found in the western plains would be symbolically open. The road from Emu Ford to Bathurst, a distance of 101 1/2 miles [163 kilometres] was completed in only six months. Macquarie's instructions specified that the road should be at least 12 feet (3.6 metres) wide in order that two carts would be able to pass each other, and that the timber should be cleared on each side so that the road corridor was 20 feet (6.1 metres) wide. Stumps were to be grubbed out and any holes should be filled in. The surviving physical evidence shows relatively few locations where the extant road conforms with the dimensions specified in the instructions.

Cut Hill Road, which is a part of the 1814 Cox's Road which has been resurfaced and upgraded as a local road, ends at Pitt's Corner where it joins Jerrys Meadows Road about 8 kilometres south of Sodwalls. A reserved Crown Road identified as the Old Bathurst Road, continues west towards the Fish River and again, the general line is followed by a modern unsealed road which provides access to nearby farming properties.

As with the preceding sections of the 'Old Bathurst Road' there is more than one road line through this area. Three consecutive roads were identified by Karskens in 1988. Therefore, the actual Cox's road crosses in and out of private property. The earliest line is on the top of the ridge before dropping down to the river in a formation with shallow cuttings. Again the most obvious and substantial physical evidence in this area relates to much later 1820s lines and improvements, including long sections of walling which support an embanked road formation winding down the hillsides.

The original line of Cox's Road followed the Crown Road now used as access to the farming properties "Clover Downs" and "Ambervale" . It appears mainly as a widened, graded and cut road. From the "Ambervale" gate it appears to be less well used and in more original condition becoming a deeply eroded trench lined by trees left standing along the route to the river. At approximately 1.5 km east of the Fish River the road diverges; Cox' s road runs along the ridge as a faint unmade track, then descends steeply downhill. A later section of road, to the north, is cut along the side slopes and embanked to provide a road 6 metres wide and of easier gradient. It is supported by an extensive convict-built retaining wall which winds down the mountainside to the river. The walling ranges between 30cm and 2m in height. Construction is mainly un-coursed rubble work with the variation in the size of the stones used. It is very similar to the work on the zig-zag and other parts of the Mount Blaxland Precinct.

It is likely that the convict road gang reported to be stationed at the Fish River in late 1826 may have been responsible for the extensive walling which supports the road that winds down the mountainside to the Fish River. There are no equivalent improvements on the western side of the river, and this may be explained by the fact that from 1827 onwards it was becoming evident that efforts would be made to find and build a completely new line of road to Bathurst.

Between this substantial 1820s road and Cox' s 1814 track there appears to be another road simply cut out of the hill on one side, with a flat surface. This may be the intermediate attempt to improve the road in 1817 as mentioned by Cunningham.

According to McBrien' s survey in 1823, Cox's road continued south of the present reserved Crown Road down to the river. The line of timber follows the Crown road, there are shallow cuttings, and the indentation of the old road is still visible. (Karskens, 1988, Fish River Precinct, p 95 ff).

At Fish River, Cox built the second longest of his bridges which was completed on 5 January 1815. The Journal notes that the bridge was 16 feet (4.8 metres) wide, and had a 25 foot span (7.6 metres) with two 25 foot 'piers' filled with stone at either end, making a total length of 75 feet (22.8 metres). Only the Bluff Bridge at Linden was longer. Cox described the bridge as 'a strong and well-built one' but also noted that 'floods will go over it' and no trace of what must have been an impressive structure survives today.

In 1988 Karskens also described the Fish River Crossing: 'The banks of the Fish River show no trace of Cox' s 25 foot long bridge with stone-filled approaches . Severe floods washed away the structure and its successors . The banks today are covered with tussock grass and on the west with river stones and pebbles (Photo 130). There is a slightly raised mound of road-width on the eastern bank which may have been the approach to the ford.'

West of the Fish River crossing the general line of Cox's Road is followed by an unsealed dirt road which winds back and forth to ascend the hill. There have clearly been some deviations and the modern road has obviously been re-cut and re-graded over time. The section west of the Fish River is not included in the Fish River Descent Precinct.

The proposed State Heritage Register listing of Cox's Road and Early Deviations includes six precincts of Cox's Road:

Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Linden, Linden Precinct - HC Plan 2639
Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Woodford, Old Bathurst Road Precinct - HC Plan 2640
Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Woodford, Appian Way Precinct - HC Plan 2641
Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Mount York , Cox's Pass Precinct - HC Plan 2642
Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Hartley, Clarence Hilly Range / Mount Blaxland Precinct - HC Plan 2643
Cox's Road and Early Deviations - Sodwalls, Fish River Descent Precinct - HC Plan 2644
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
Substantially intact. Numerous features from the upgrading and realignment of Cox's Road in the 1820s are evident including road side retaining walls and cuttings. Within Lot 4, DP 1132182 evidence of another road formation cut into the slope of the hillside is also clearly visible.
Date condition updated:01 Dec 14
Modifications and dates: 1820s
Current use: Road, access to nearby farming properties.
Former use: Colonial Road

History

Historical notes: The road from Emu Ford to Bathurst, a distance of 101½ miles [163 kilometres] was completed in only six months during 1814 and 1815 by a working party comprised mostly of convicts. Governor Lachlan Macquarie decided to have a carriage road constructed across the Blue Mountains, to the country which had been ‘newly discovered’ by Europeans in 1813.

The so called ‘First Crossing’ of 1813 took place on the traditional lands of the Dharug, Gundungurra and Wiradjuri people. Other routes through the ridges and valleys of the Blue Mountains had been used by Aboriginal people for tens of thousands of years.

William Cox was born in Wimborne Minster, Dorset in 1764. He married Rebecca Upjohn at Devizes, Wiltshire in 1789. Cox arrived in NSW on board the 'Minerva' in January 1800. Cox became Chief Magistrate at Windsor in 1810 and in July 1814 Governor Macquarie made William Cox the Superintendent of the works for a new road over the Blue Mountains. His first wife died in 1819 and Cox married Anna Blachford in 1821. He died on 15 March 1837.

The Cox’s Road Fish River Descent Precinct is situated about 8 kilometres south of Sodwalls.
Cox selected a line towards the Fish River around 18 December 1814 after having previously ridden over the country west of Mount Blaxland. His Journal records:

Sunday 18 December
At ½ past 7 went forward on horseback to examine the road from hence to the Fish River. Found the country still continues very hilly and rocky in many places. There are also two other small bridges to make before we arrive there. Took Mr. Hobby, John Tye and three others with me. Caught some fish and dined on the banks of the river. Fixed on the road except going up one hill which must be avoided if possible. Returned at 6 p.m. It being a clear, fine day we had fine views to the northward and westward from a high hill. Saw some plains without timber to the west, but in general the whole country around is extremely hilly and apparently fair grazing land. Richard Lewis brought the bullocks forward to us this day.
(Whitaker, 2014: Chapter 4, William Cox’s Journal, p 68).

On 24 December Cox ‘went forward this afternoon to ascertain if I could get my caravan with safety to the Fish River’, and gave orders ‘to strike tents and pack up in the morning’. On 25 December (Christmas Day) he ‘went forward to the Fish River and removed our caravan and one cartload there, where I pitched my tent leaving behind 3 bridges to make and five miles of road.’ As it was Christmas Day, Cox also issued the men in the road party with a gill of spirits each and a new shirt.

By 29 December there were six men preparing material for the bridge across the Fish River, and the rest were presumably completing the road towards it. In early January the road party continued to draw and split logs and were building piers for the bridge which was finished on 5 January 1815. Cox described the Fish River bridge as follows:
'It is strong and well built; on each end is a pier of 25 feet long which is well filled up with stone and a very little earth over it. The arch or span across is then 25 feet more, which is planked with split logs, and as floods will go over it there is no earth put on it. It is altogether 75 feet long and 16 wide'.
(Whitaker, 2014: Chapter 4, William Cox’s Journal, p 73).

The Fish River area was another steep obstacle on the Bathurst Road which was commented upon by many for travellers who found the Fish River Hill ascent on the west side particularly difficult. In April 1817 Allan Cunningham described the journey over the Clarence Hilly Range to the Fish River as ‘severe and oppressive to our horses, the whole being sharp lofty hills and narrow boggy valleys, alternately’, but he also reported that alterations were being made to improve the gradient.

Cunningham’s Journal for 3 August 1817 described this section as follows:
'The journey over Clarence's Hilly Range, which is notorious for its difficulties when passing with loaded carts is at this period being made more easy for man and beast. Government men are forming a new line of road in places where the ascents and descents were short and steep or the bottoms formed by the waters of the range had become stagnant and boggy. The new road is generally formed round a rising point when it is safe and practicable--in place of the old one running over its summit--so that the great horse pulls are in great measure eased, and the swampy parts have drains cut to let off the waters that formerly were obliged to remain for want of a declivity to carry them off.'
(I. Lee, Early Explorers in Australia from the Log-Books and Journals, Including the Diary of Allan Cunningham, Botanist from March 1, 1817 to November 19, 1818, London, 1925, 12 April 1817 p 180; and 3rd August 1817, page 301).

On the west side of the Fish River the climb up the steep Fish River Hill (elevation 1024 metres) was remarked upon by numerous travellers as difficult. In 1827 William Dumaresq called it ‘the worst hill from Sydney to Bathurst’. He also noted that the old bridge had been washed away so it was necessary to ford the river and also mentioned that a convict road party was stationed there, presumably carrying out improvements to the Bathurst Road.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
2. Peopling-Peopling the continent Convict-Activities relating to incarceration, transport, reform, accommodation and working during the convict period in NSW (1788-1850) - does not include activities associated with the conviction of persons in NSW that are unrelated to the imperial 'convict system': use the theme of Law & Order for such activities Convict labour-
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Transport-Activities associated with the moving of people and goods from one place to another, and systems for the provision of such movements Building and maintaining public roads-
5. Working-Working Labour-Activities associated with work practises and organised and unorganised labour (none)-
7. Governing-Governing Government and Administration-Activities associated with the governance of local areas, regions, the State and the nation, and the administration of public programs - includes both principled and corrupt activities. Developing roles for government - administering public roads and bridges-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Surviving remnants of Cox's Road have state historical significance as physical evidence of the first road constructed across the Blue Mountains from Emu Plains to the Bathurst Plains (1814-15). Constructed in 1814-15 Cox's Road is one of the earliest Colonial-era road-lines surviving in Australia. The 1814 road is tangible evidence of the development of the colony at Sydney and of the expansion of white settlement into western NSW. The road symbolises the occupation of the country and Governor Macquarie's aspirations for the eventual opening of the interior to European settlement after the discovery of the Western plains by G W Evans in 1814. In this respect the 1814-1815 Cox's Road has considerable symbolic significance as an official public work which laid the foundations for future development. Cox's Road is linked with the foundation of Bathurst, the first inland settlement in NSW, which was proclaimed by Governor Macquarie on 7 May 1815 after his journey along the road.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The surviving remnants of Cox's Road have state significance for their close association with Governor Lachlan Macquarie who commissioned the building of the road into the interior, and with the magistrate and ex-army officer Captain William Cox, who supervised the building of the road. The road is also associated with the convicts who laboured on the road to obtain their liberty, and with the officers and men who assisted Cox such as Thomas Hobby, Richard Lewis, John Tighe and Samuel Ayres. The crossing of the Blue Mountains, the surveying of a route to Bathurst and the building of Cox's Road were significant events in the period of Macquarie's governorship. Governor Macquarie's view of the importance of the road is demonstrated by his reports to Earl Bathurst, the British Secretary of State for War and the Colonies, and by his journey to the Bathurst Plains immediately after its construction, where he proclaimed the site for the Bathurst township.

William Cox's achievement using a small group of convict men in a short period of time and with no loss of life caused by road-making or other substantial difficulties, was reflective of his reputation as a more humane employer and magistrate than many of his contemporaries. The leadership qualities, vision and skill he showed constructing the road would also be evident in later government contracts won by Cox for other public works .
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
The surviving precincts of Cox's Road have state technical significance for their ability to demonstrate simple, pre 1820s road building techniques. Improvement of the 1814 route throughout the 1820s also provide important evidence of later road building techniques and demonstrates the ongoing use of this key route to the interior, before it was superseded by the new Great Western Road laid out by Sir Thomas Mitchell in the 1830s.

The Fish River Descent Precinct illustrates Cox's 1814-15 road and the way it was modified and improved, until it became superseded by new road lines after 1830. This precinct provides an excellent example of the progress made in road building between 1815 and c 1826, as three roads of progressively larger scale and sophistication still lie alongside one another. They illustrate the typical growth of a road from a rudimentary track to a 'made ' road , both in survey, location and construction. The original line of Cox's Road runs along the summit of the ridge, while less precipitous sections have been built on the slope below, the lowest of these with a long section of substantial convict-built retaining wall probably completed by a road gang stationed at Fish River in 1826.
SHR Criteria d)
[Social significance]
Cox's Road and its remnants are demonstrated as having social significance at a state level by the substantial interest in identifying and promoting Cox's Road for cultural tourism and education, and celebrating the bicentenary of the road by the general public, state and local government bodies and a range of community organisations. The road is of particular importance to Cox descendants. The William Cox Fellowship first nominated sections of Cox's Road for heritage listing in the 1980s.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
Precincts of Cox's Road have research significance at a state level for their ability to demonstrate early nineteenth century road, culvert and bridge building techniques using basic skills and technologies. The remains of the 1814-15 road illustrate the conditions of the period and contribute to an understanding of the process of exploration and development, and of early colonial road building and road use. The remains represent a major physical, technological and engineering achievement and exhibit fine details of workmanship. Several precincts of the 1814-15 road have specific archaeological potential.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
Surviving precincts of the 1814-1815 Cox's Road from Penrith to Bathurst are rare examples of early Colonial road building in NSW. The surviving remnants of Cox's Road have state significance as a rare example of pre 1820 road building based on the use of manual and primitive tools, and predating the more sophisticated road survey and construction techniques employed on the later 'Great Roads' of the 1820s and 1830s.
Integrity/Intactness: Substantially intact. Numerous features from the upgrading and realignment of Cox's Road in the 1820s are evident
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008
57(2)Exemption to allow workHeritage Act - Site Specific Exemptions HERITAGE ACT 1977

ORDER UNDER SECTION 57(2)
TO GRANT SITE SPECIFIC EXEMPTIONS FROM APPROVAL

Cox’s Road and Early Deviations—Sodwalls, Fish River Descent Precinct

SHR No 1958

I, the Minister for Heritage, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, in pursuance of section 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, do, by this my order, grant an exemption from section 57(1) of that Act in respect of the engaging in or carrying out of any activities described in Schedule “C” by the owner, mortgagee or lessee of the land described in Schedule “B” on the item described in Schedule “A”.




The Hon Rob Stokes, MP
Minister for Heritage


Sydney, 5 Day of March 2015


SCHEDULE “A”
The item known as Cox’s Road and Early Deviations—Sodwalls, Fish River Descent Precinct, situated on the land described in Schedule “B”.


SCHEDULE “B”
All those pieces or parcels of land known as Crown Land and Part Lot 204 DP 1078651 in Parish of Thornshope, County of Westmoreland shown on the plan catalogued HC 2644 in the office of the Heritage Council of New South Wales.

SCHEDULE “C”
1 Maintenance and Restoration

The maintenance of Cox’s Road and Early Deviations to retain its condition or operation without the removal of or damage to the existing fabric or the introduction of incompatible new materials.

a. Restoration of Cox’s Road and Early Deviations by returning significant fabric to a known earlier location without the introduction of new material.
b. Restoration of Cox’s Road and Early Deviations without the introduction of new material to reveal a known earlier configuration by removing accretions or reassembling existing components which does not adversely affect the heritage significance of the item.
c. Maintenance and minor repairs necessary to preserve and maintain the functioning of Cox’s Road and Early Deviations, especially where it remains in use as a local road or access corridor, including pavement resurfacing (using existing or compatible replacement materials, but not modern materials); maintenance of historic roadside kerbing; maintenance and repair of historic roadside walling; traffic management; relocation and maintenance of existing signage.

Note: Maintenance means 'the continuous protective care of the fabric and setting of a place'.


2. Repairs, including to services

a. Repairs and activities associated with the maintenance and repair of existing services and public utilities including communications, gas, electricity, water supply, waste disposal, sewerage, irrigation and drainage that are situated within Cox’s Road and Early Deviations precincts. This includes replacement of poles, stay poles, wires and associated items where the same locations and fixing points will be reused.
b. The repair (such as refixing and patching) or the replacement of missing, damaged or deteriorated fabric that is beyond further maintenance, which matches the existing fabric in appearance, material and method of affixing or installation and does not involve damage to or the removal of significant fabric.


3. Works

a. The carrying out of road work or traffic control work, within the meaning of the Roads Act 1993, within the road corridor and surrounding land that is required for associated works and infrastructure.
b. Ongoing current operational works and maintenance activities along Cox’s Road and Early Deviations precincts currently carried out by Local Government or other authorities, such as:
• road side vegetation management including vegetation trimming, tree trimming and/or removal (if required for road safety/traffic hazard);
• stormwater drainage works such as shoulder and pit clearing;
• road repairs such as pot hole patching and road sweeping;
• provision of necessary delineation such as guide posts and traffic signage;
• access controls, drainage and erosion control;
• vegetation and bushfire management;
where such works cause little or no impact on existing heritage fabric.
c. Temporary works, not exceeding 12 months, including containment areas, or scaffolding, other works and enclosures necessary for the carrying out of maintenance or enhancement works for Cox’s Road and Early Deviations. All temporary works must be reversible.
d. Minor works that do not alter the appearance or overall form and would not require the removal of significant fabric of the Cox’s Road and Early Deviations.
e. Installation of new access points such as property driveway openings, where made in accordance with the Roads Act 1993 and where such works including new access construction, driveway design and levels would not require the removal of historic Cox’s Road and Early Deviations pavement or other historic road fabric.




4. Signage

a. Installation of new way finding or interpretative signage or relocation of existing signs, except where these are commercial signs, modular sign structures, cantilever sign structures, or signage over 2 square metres in size.
b. Display of any notice on the land for the purpose of site interpretation and/or public information where disturbance of land associated with this activity would not adversely affect any significant archaeology including (but not limited to) original road fabric, historic infrastructure or services and 'relics' within the meaning of the Heritage Act 1977.


5. Excavation

a. The excavation or disturbance of land that will have a nil or minor impact on archaeological relics including the testing of land to verify the existence of relics without destroying or removing them, where:
v. an archaeological assessment, zoning plan or management plan has been prepared in accordance with Guidelines endorsed by the Heritage Council of NSW which indicates that the land is unlikely to contain relics or deposits (of State or local heritage significance) and/or
vi. evidence relating to the history or nature of the site, such as its level of disturbance, indicates that the site has little or no archaeological research potential.
b. The excavation or disturbance of land is for the purpose of exposing underground utility services or communications infrastructure which occurs within an existing service trench and will not affect any relics.
c. The excavation or disturbance of land is to expose survey marks for use in conducting a land survey.

Note: Should archaeological relics or deposits be uncovered all work must cease in the immediate area. A suitably qualified and experienced archaeologist must be contacted to assess the archaeology and the Heritage Council should be informed immediately


6. Landscape Maintenance

a. All landscaping, gardening and fencing works associated with the ongoing use of the land for domestic, pastoral and agricultural purposes, excluding any works that may materially affect the significance of the item or disturb archaeological relics.
b. Weeding, watering, mowing, top-dressing, pest control and fertilizing necessary for the continued health of plants, without damage or major alterations to layout, contours, plant species or other significant landscape features.
c. Pruning (to control size, improve shape, flowering or fruiting and the removal of diseased, dead or dangerous material) between 10% and 30% of the canopy of a tree within a period of 2 years.
d. Removal of dead or dying trees which are to be replaced by trees of the same species in the same location.
e. Tree surgery by a qualified arborist, horticulturist or tree surgeon necessary for the health of those plants.


7. Farming

All activities associated with the ongoing use of the land for domestic, pastoral and agricultural purposes, including road maintenance and fencing but excluding any new development or construction that would materially affect the significance of the item.


8. Safety and Security

a. The erection of temporary security fencing, scaffolding, hoardings or surveillance systems to prevent unauthorised access or secure public safety which will not adversely affect significant fabric of the Cox’s Road including landscape or archaeological features of its curtilage.
b. Emergency stabilisation, erosion control, hazard reduction or bushfire prevention works, necessary to secure safety where Cox’s Road and Early Deviations precincts have been damaged or destabilised and there exists a safety risk to users or the public.


9. Bushfire Prevention

The undertaking of fire prevention works in accordance with a Local Council, NPWS or Rural Fire Services approved Fire Management Plan for any Cox’s Road and Early Deviations precinct. This includes works relating to hazard reduction to: reduce vulnerability; maintain defendable space and protect; or maintain and enhance the biodiversity and ecological values of any relevant Cox’s Road and Early Deviations precincts or adjoining land Reserves.


10. Minor Development Endorsed by the Heritage Council of NSW

Minor development specifically identified as exempt development by a conservation policy or strategy within a conservation management plan or a conservation management strategy which has been endorsed by the Heritage Council of NSW, where such work would not materially impact on heritage significance.


11. Works on Private Land

The listing of Cox’s Road and Early Deviations includes some small areas within private freehold land holdings as shown on the Heritage Council Plans prepared for the listing. The Heritage Council’s interest for Cox’s Road and Early Deviations—Sodwalls, Fish River Descent Precinct is confined to the area within the listing boundary as shown on HC Plan 2644.

The affected land parcel is:

Part Lot 204 DP1078651

The Heritage Council’s interest is confined to works which directly affect the area of the Cox’s Road and Early Deviations identified by the listing and specifically to works which would affect the historic fabric of the road.
All other works within this allotment (outside the listed area) are exempt from the need to seek approval under the Heritage Act 1977.
Mar 25 2015

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0195825 Mar 15 27836

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
WrittenAH C Whitaker2014Williams Cox and Cox's Road: A Bicentenary Souvenir
WrittenG. Mackaness (Ed.)1965Fourteen Journeys over the Blue Mountains NSW
WrittenGrace Karskens1988'Cox's Way: An Historical and Archaeological Study of Cox's Road and Early Crossings of the Blue Mountains, NSW'
WrittenIda Lee1925Early Explorers in Australia from the Log-Books and Journals, Including the Diary of Allan Cunningham, Botanist from March 1, 1817 to November 19, 1818

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5062553
File number: EF14/12820


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.