Glen Innes Showground | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Glen Innes Showground

Item details

Name of item: Glen Innes Showground
Other name/s: Pastoral and Agricultural Showground Glen Innes
Type of item: Complex / Group
Group/Collection: Community Facilities
Category: Showground
Location: Lat: -29.741801260231 Long: 151.74362111433
Primary address: Bourke Street, Glen Innes, NSW 2370
Parish: Glen Innes
County: Gough
Local govt. area: Glen Innes Severn
Local Aboriginal Land Council: Glen Innes
Property description
Lot/Volume CodeLot/Volume NumberSection NumberPlan/Folio CodePlan/Folio Number
LOT1 DP16643
LOT156 DP753282

Boundary:

The Showground is bounded by Bourke Street to the north, Huner Street in the east, George in thesouth and residential blocks to the west.
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
Bourke StreetGlen InnesGlen Innes SevernGlen InnesGoughPrimary Address

Statement of significance:

Glen Innes Showground is of state heritage significance as one of the earliest regional shows to be established in NSW. The showground has been used continuously for 140 years for the annual Glen Innes Show. For many years in the late 19th and early 20th century, the Glen Innes Show and Showground was widely regarded as one of the leading shows in NSW due to both attendance, the quality and number of exhibits and also the quality of exhibition, stock handling and spectator facilities provided.

Its state heritage significance is enhanced through its association with the Dumaresque family, noted colonial politicians and pastoral holders. It is also associated with WT Cadell, a noted pastoralist who further developed the early pastoral station, Deepwater Station which was important to the fine wool export industry in the colony of NSW.

It is of aesthetic heritage significance at a state level as an outstanding picturesque and stylistically cohesive and complementary suite of Federation style buildings sited in a park-like setting. The group of buildings is one of NSW's most comprehensive array of show buildings sited on a single showground and arranged in an aesthetically pleasing and distinctive way around the central arena making it a landmark in the town.

The Glen Innes Showground is likely to have research values at a state level for its potential to demonstrate the full variety of exhibit, spectator and stock handling facilities required by a successful agricultural show

It is rare in NSW as one of the few remaining showgrounds inthe state retaining a full suite of architect-designed, Federation style show buildings clustered around its central arena and demonstrating the breadth of activities undertaken by the Show and the development of the show over 140 years.

The Glen Innes Showgrounds isof state heritage significance as a fine example of a regional showground retaining its full suite of buildings. Its intactness and aesthetic qualities make this showground illustrative of an 'ideal' regional showground.
Date significance updated: 28 Jan 15
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Thompson and Holmes JPO'Connor, Rowland Bros, Madigan and Cusick
Builder/Maker: AW Lane, G Cooper, HA Tutt and Son
Construction years: 1873-
Physical description: In 2006 the buildings and facilities included a grandstand; old timber pavilion; Trade pavilion; Yarraford Hall; stud cattle pavilions; bar and barbecue facilities; 167 horse stalls; tea room seating 100; a new pavilion for basketball; four stand shearing complex; prime cattle yards; caged birds pavilion; show secretary's office; showring and camping ground, park like landscaped grounds.

Main Exhibition Pavilion
The Main Exhibition pavilion was built in 1892
The one storey Main Exhiobition Pavilions timber pavilions are clad framed, four joined sections with domed tower, round headed windows, iron roof gabled and domed, timber walls with rear and side walls constructed of corrugated iron; quoins timber routed; timber footings; iron columns; ceiling King post trussed, walls horizontal; tongued and grooved timber, timber floors; windows one and four paned; doors tongued and grooved panels; fanlight; gas lamp side door: domed porch front entrance.

Grandstand
The main timber grandstand was completed and opened at the 1899 Armidale- Glen Innes Combined District Show. Built of hardwood and covered with corrugated iron, the main building had a ground surface of 58 by 30 feet; a height of 24 feet from plate to plate, giving a roof projection of five feet, with an ornamental front gable. The stand provided seating for 350 people. Designed by Sydney architects, Thompson and Holmes, the work was supervised by Glen Innes builder A.W. Lane. (Glen Innes Examiner, 3 March 1899)

Industrial Pavilion
A new building, the Industrial Pavilion 84 feet long and 35 feet wide, was erected on the northern side alongside the older pavilion and opened in March 1922. The wall between the pavilions was removed to provide additional space. Tallowood was used for the floor to also enable it to be used as a dance floor. The pavilion was designed by F.J. Madigan, of the Glen Innes firm Madigan and Cusick and constructed by G. Cooper. Its primary purpose was to provide facilities for trade displays on a generous scale. (Glen Innes Examiner, 9 March 1922)

Refreshment room and piggery
Other improvements in 1921 included the construction of a refreshment room and a new piggery with fourteen stalls.

Cadel Memorial Rotunda
The ornate Cadell Memorial sheep-judging stand (1928) is of octagonal shape with a 27 feet measurement between the most distant corners. The stand is erected of hardwood posts built into a concrete foundation. It is a timber structure with terra cotta tiled roof. The design makes maximum use of light with a domed ceiling, lantern roof and glass louvres converging to a central flag-staff. The contractors were H.A. Tutt and Son of Glen Innes.

Landscape setting
The show buildings and central arena are set in a 7 acre planned and maintained park-like setting. Plantings include a large number of trees, eucalypts, elms and pines planted in 1897 in preparation for Queen Victoria's Jubilee celebrations. A large number of trees were donated by the Department for Mines and Agriculture for planting at the showground in 1898. These early plantings formed the skeleton of the landscape grounds with were maintained and added to over the years. In 1910 a local man, George Black donated 20 pine trees which were planted along the George Street boundary of the ground and can be clearly seen in ealry showground photographs.

By 1950s the grounds were well developed and while a plantation of elms was established behind the sheep pavilion, a nest of blackberry bushes was erradicated in the north eastern corner of the grounds and the pine trees growing to the west of the Main Exhibition paviolion were cut down. In 1958 a big tree planting program was carried out and blackberries were once again becoming a problem to be dealt with. By 1962 they were no longer a problem and the fence line at the north east corner of the grounds was extended out to enclose the area where the blackberries had been.

In 1964 and 1966 another planting program provided a large number of ring side trees. By 1969 it was reported that there were 250 trees were growing in the showground in addition to a number of yellow box and white gum.

In 1974 the George Street pine trees were cut down and then in 1977 more pine trees were removed from behind the fat cattle pavilion . In this year the arena was regrassed with kiluyu grass donated and maintained by the local high school. In 1897 several old white gums were removed.

Today the showground landscaping is characterised by copses of elms, eucalypts, including yellow box and white gum and other trees. Elms shade the Main Exhibition Pavilion and ring the arena.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
A number of the structure including pavilions and the Cadell Memorial sheep judging stand need urgent conservation work. These structures have archaeological value as they provide an insight into early bushcraft skills as well as the skills of note country architects.
Date condition updated:04 Dec 14
Modifications and dates: The original grandstand was removed in 1896 and the timber used in constructing a caretaker's residence.
Additions were made to the present grandstand in 1907. A picket fence was once installed in front of the grandstand but is now removed.
A Hall of Industries was completed on the northern side of the 1890s pavilion in 1922.
The Tea Room Drill Hall was demolished in the 1950s.
Remodelling of the main entrances took place in 1988.
Columns and whole entry complex was remodelled in 1990 following damage to the overhead sign and pillars by heavy and high trucks
Current use: Annual Show, campdrafting, pony club, travelling stock stopping ppoint, local sports

History

Historical notes: Pre European settlement, the area around Glen Innes was the traditional land of the Ngoorabul people, whose totem was the koala. Their land extended to include current towns of Glencoe, Kingsplains, Wellingrove, Strathbogie, Bolivia and Beardy Plains. Due to the severity of the winters in the area and the consequent reduction in food resources, the people migrated away from the high tableland area during the coldest months to the warmer regions along tributaries to the Clarence River in the south and east and the Mole district in the west. The population again swelled during the summer months as the Ngoorabul returned to feast on wallaby, bandicoots, possum, lizards, birds and many other creatures. Wild berries including the local wild rasberry, peach heath, wattle, roots of the bracken fern, native yam and native asparagus, were among other plants that augmented their diet and provided medicinal treatment. Those too old or to weak to undertake the migration stayed on the high tablelands and protected themselves from the cold by wearing Possum or Kangaroo skin cloaks and tending large camp fires established close to their bark huts. (Glen Innes Severn Council, 2010. Glen Innes Severn Aboriginal Heritage Study)

While tribal boundaries were clearly drawn and incursion of these often provoked fierce battles, there was also movement of neighbouring Clarence/Macleay River Aboriginal Tribes and those of the western districts up to the Ngoorabul tribal lands near Glen Innes for corroborees, to trade goods information and also for marriage and initiation purposes. Goods traded included ochre, sourced near Dundee in the Glen Innes area and stone from creeks in tribal lands to the south.(Glen Innes Severn Council, 2010. Glen Innes Severn Aboriginal Heritage Study).

In 1818, during his journey from Bathurst to the Macquarie Marshes, thence to the Liverpool Plains and Port Macquarie, John Oxley first reported sighting Aboriginal peoiple in the New England area. While Oxley met with some Aboriginal men, women and children were kept hidden. Similarly in 1827 while making his journey of exploration through to the Darling Downs region, Richard Cunningham noted signs of indigenous habitation but rarely saw or met with Aboriginal people. After coming upon cattle and a European hut Cunningham surmised that Aboriginal people may have had a bad experience of some white men and chose to avoid them.(Australian Dictionary of Biography entries for John Oxley and Richard Cunningham)

Avoiding White settlers became increasingly difficult for the Aboriginal people of the area after 1830. At this time the Australian Agricultural company took up vast estates north of the Hunter Valley on the Liverpool Plains. With the large agricultural company in possession of this land, new squatters were forced to seek seeking new lands further north, including in the New England area. In 1838 Thomas Hewitt took up Stonehenge located south of present Glen Innes, for Archibald Boyd . In 1839 a New England Pastoral district was formed with Commissioner MacDonald based at Armidale. (Glen Innes Severn Council, 2010. Glen Innes Severn Aboriginal Heritage Study)

The early years of settlement in the Glen Innes area was marked by mixed relations between Aboriginal people and the new settlers. Inevitably, as the Aboriginal people were increasingly locked out of their traditional hunting grounds , there were many incidents of conflict between Aboriginals and whites farmers. Aboriginal people on occasion took stock as compensation for the decimation of their traditional food resources. On other occasions they would attempt to drive stock off their traditional lands and in some cases european shepherds were killed. Settlers in return chased Aboriginal people from their farms and in a number of cases between 1839 and 1842 killed Aboriginal people en masse. This happened on the Beardy Plains, at Deepwater Station and at Bluff Rock in the vicinity of Glen Innes (Glen Innes Severn Council, 2010. Glen Innes Severn Aboriginal Heritage Study)

In contrast, other settlers had good relations with the local Aboriginal people. Charles Lamotte, when he took up Strathbogie Station, offered the local people protection and allowed them to continue to hunt and gather on his land. Neverth less, by the early 1840s many of the local indigenous people had retreated to the rugged gorges and valleys at the edge of the New England tablelands. Others chose to work for the pastoralists stock handlers and farm labourers or domestic help in return for food, clothing tobacco and the like.(Glen Innes Severn Council, 2010. Glen Innes Severn Aboriginal Heritage Study)

By late 1847 leases for runs were introduced.By 1848 a number of stations had been gazetted throughout Northern NSW in 1848. There was a change in land settlement patterns when the Robertson Land Acts were passed in 1861 allowing small farmers to apply for land. In time, sheep grazing on large squatting runs was complemented by smaller holdings which introduced hay, wheat, maize, and dairy farms. The increased settlement by white farmers further disrupted traditional Aboriginal life and seasonal migration became restricted making the annual handout of clothing and blankets an important yearly event for Aboriginal people. By the 1880s the Aboriginal Protection Board established several reserves in the greater New England area and in the late 1880s Nucoorima Reserve was established on the Severn River where many Aboriginal people lived and had access to sacred places and were able to hunt as well as cultivate the land.(Glen Innes Severn Council, 2010. Glen Innes Severn Aboriginal Heritage Study)

In the 1840s towns were established along the Tablelands and initially a government town was established at Wellingrove. Unlike the village of Glen Innes, Wellingrove did not thrive and in January 1858 the Court of Petty Sessions was moved to Glen Innes. Other businesses then followed. It was in December 1851 that Surveyor J.J. Galloway had surveyed a town sites at Glen Innes and Stonehenge. In the early 1870s, Glen Innes developed rapidly following the discovery of tin in the district. New stores and hotels were constructed in the town and a number of social and professional organisations were established in Glen Innes including the Pastoral and Agricultural Association which was initially established in conjunction with Inverell (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

Pastoralism was an essential element in the development of the local, regional and national economies. Livestock production influenced the development of pastoral stations and modified the landscape in Glen Innes as elsewhere in NSW and Australia. The sucessful development of pastoralism in the area led the establishment of the Inverell-Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Association which worked hard to establish a local Show where stock could be displayed and judged. The first show to be held in the Glen Innes district was in 1869 at Inverell and the 1870 show was held at Glen Innes , near the Glen Innes Primary School. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

The first show to be held on the current showground site was in 1874.This date indicates that Glen Innes was one of the earliest shows to be established and continuously operating on its site outside metropolitan Sydney. Other early regional showgrounds in continuous use are Maitland which held its first showgat its current site in 1873, Singleton which held its first show on its current site in 1868, Bathurst which held the first show on site in 1878 and Armidale show began on its current site in 1877. The joint Inverell-Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Association remained operational until 1876 when, after a less sucessful show which went into debt to the tune of 144 pounds, Glen Innes members decided to establish an independent Association. The NSW Government formally gazetted the present showground site in 1877. This site became an important part of the Town Plan.(G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nominatio and WB Hughes Ed. 2004, It Goes to Show 1869-2000 A History of the Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Association and Glen Innes Show Society)

The first president of the Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural was William Alexander Dumaresq, the son of the well-known, and at times notorious colonial figure and brother-in-law to Governor Darling, Captain William John Dumaresq. William John Dumaresq was made provisional civil engineer and inspector of roads and bridges by Governor Darling and at one stage was acting colonial Treasurer. He and his brother Henry amassed large, profitable land holdings in both the Hunter and the New England tablelands, Saumarez and Tilbuster being those in the New England. His son William Alexander Dumaresq served as an Australian Army Officer in India, married the sister-in-law of Governor Belmore and was a wealthy grazier in the Glen Innes district. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination and Australian Dictionary of Biography entries for William John Dumaresq)

Another important association for the Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Association was with W T Cadell and Deepwater Station. Deepwater Station was initially taken up by noted landowner and pastoralist Archibald Windeyer junior in 1839 and rapidly developed into a prosperous station which made a large contribution to NSW fine merino wool exports. On his demise in 1870 the station was purchased by a family company representing the union of several NSW and Queensland pastoral dynasties, the Windmyers, the Macansh family and WT Cadell who had married into the Macansh family. It was Cadell who was the hands-on sheep and cattle breeder and he sucessfully improved the Deepwater herd and flock to such an extent that Deepwater wool was regarded as the finest in the NSW market and regularly fetched top price. Cadell became official patron and sponsor of the Glen Innes Show in 1903. In this role he worked tirelessly to "advance the Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Society to a leading place in NSW' in 1922.(Deepwater Wool Festival - a history of Deepwater, and WB Hughes Ed. 2004, 'It Goes to Show 1869-2000 A History of the Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Association and Glen Innes Show Society')

The first buildings to be built at Glen Innes Showground were a Grandstand and an Exhibition Hall for the 1874 Show. As the annual show continued to grow in terms of both attendance and exhibition these initial buildings were extended and stock yards built. A mark of the popular success of the show was the organisation of excursion trains from Tamworth and Tenterfield to ferry eagar show goers to the Glenn Innes Show . In1888 a grand new entrance to the showgrounds on Torrington Street was opened. (WB Hughes Ed. 2004, 'It Goes to Show 1869-2000 A History of the Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Association and Glen Innes Show Society')

By 1892 the original Exhibition Hall had seen its best years and was replaced by the existing, attractive Victorian free classical style Main Exhibition Pavilion. Similarly in 1896 the original grandstand was removed and replaced by the Federation Carpenter style grandstand which eventually opened for use in 1899 and is still in situ. The timber from the original grandstand was used to construct the caretakers cottage . In 1897, to celebrate Queen Victoria's Jubilee, a program of tree planting began and the grounds were lit for the first time. The tree planting program was continued over the years, funded by financial and in-kind donations and by the takings of the annual show. The planting program has resulted in the well maintained park-like showground. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

As a marker of the progress of the show and of its reputation through NSW, by theend of the 19th century is the fact that on several occasions the annual Glen Innes Show was opened or attended by various dignitaries. Show openings were officiated by NSW Premier Sir George Dibbs in 1893; the Governor of NSW, Admiral Sir Henry Rawson in 1903; the NSW Premier, Hon Joseph H Curruthers in 1904;and NSW Premier Wade in 1909. The prestiege of the show and its success reached its zenith in 1922 when it was widely recognised as the leading annual show in NSW with buildings and exhibition facilities rivalling those at other showgrounds through NSW. During the middle decades of the 20th century it became something of a 'tradition' for dignatories to open the Glen Innes show with NSW Premier, Bertram Stevens opening the 1934 Show; NSW Governor, Sir Earle Page opened the 1939 Glen Innes Show and veteran politician Lawrence Anthony opened the 1941 Show. (WB Hughes Ed. 2004, 'It Goes to Show 1869-2000 A History of the Glen Innes Pastoral and Agricultural Association nd Glen Innes Show Society')

The early years of the 20th century also saw a spate of building projects with Rowland Bros architects designing an additional pavilion for the showground in 1905, extensive stables buildings in 1906 and JF O'Connor, architect, preparing plans and supervising construction of the cattle pavilion between 1909 and 1910. New entrance gates were erected in 1911. In 1922 a major addition to the Main Exhibition Pavilion was designed by architect FJ Madigan, a widely noted architect and mentor for his son, Colin Madigan. In that same year the sheep pavilion was completed and a new piggery and a new refreshment room was constructed. It is to be noted that the new buildings at the showground used designs sympathetic to the buildings already established on the grounds. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination) This dedication to creating a cohesive suite of architect-designed buildings has extended to the design and construction of buildings at Glen Innes Showground through the history of the showgrounds.

Late in 1922, after officially opening the show seated in his car as he could not stand, WT Cadell died. His dedication to the establishing the best show in NSW was memorialised in the erection of the Cadell Memorial sheep rotunda which was opened in 1927 by M.F. Bruxner MLA. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

During the 1930s the showgrounds were extended with the purchase of 2 extra acres of land. The Caged Bird Pavilion was erected and a public address system installed. Further developments were cut short by the onset of WWII during which the showground was occupied by the Army. While the 1941 show went ahead, by 1942 the grounds were in Army control and there was no show. The next show to be held was in 1946. In preparation 1944 and 1945 were spent restoring the grounds and facilities after the military use. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

The 1950s saw a further 2 acre purchase of land to enlarge the showgrounds and also the installation of a Ringside Broadcast Box, horse and cattle stalls and further plantings. By this time the suite of buildings that now characterises the Glen Innes Showground were in place. The exception was the 1991 bar and barbeque, designed to compliment the neighbouring grandstand, and the new entrance gates on Bourke Street. The 1960s and 1970s saw the continued care and interest in tree planting in the grounds, the establishment of the Industrial pavilion in 1974 and then in the 2000s the Men's Shed was erected near the Torrington St entrance. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

The changing nature of pastoralism and related agricultural activities in the Glen Innes area was reflected at theannual show. Initially sheep, beef cattle and horses were paraded and judged. As small farming developed maize, wheat and other cash crops were exhibited as well as dairy herds, pig farms and poultry farms. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

In time related secondary industries were developed in the town and appeared at the show. Wheat growing led to the development of Flour Mills in Glen Innes; dairy herds led to the development of butter and cheese factories; horses led to the development of blacksmiths, coach companies and coach manufacturing businesses. The development of these industries explains the construction of the Hall of Industries in 1922 and the Industrial Pavilion in 1974. (G. Wilson, 2014 SHR Nomination)

Such an evolution of activities was repeated all over NSW in the context of the local agricultural endeavours. Unfortunately, unlike the Glen Innes showground which has retained the full suite of show buildings, many other NSW showgrounds have not retained the built evidence of this evolution. The showground at Glen Innes is one of the few showgrounds with intact buildings and facilities reflecting its regional agricultural and industrical development.

Historic themes

Australian theme (abbrev)New South Wales themeLocal theme
3. Economy-Developing local, regional and national economies Agriculture-Activities relating to the cultivation and rearing of plant and animal species, usually for commercial purposes, can include aquaculture Associations with the Royal Agricultural Society-

Assessment of significance

SHR Criteria a)
[Historical significance]
Glen Innes Showground is of state heritage significance as one of the earliest regional shows and showgrounds to be established in NSW. The first Glen Innes Show was held in 1869 and the first show held at the current showground was in 1874. The showground has been in continual use for the annual show since that time. The first agricultural shows were established in metropolitan Sydney. The first regional show held was at Maitland in 1844 with its current showground being opened in the early 1880s. Singleton Showground was first held in 1865 and the first show at its current site was held in 1868. Bathurst show began in 1863, moving to its permanent site in 1878 and Armidale show commenced on its current site in 1877.

The showground is also historically significant as one of the most successful in NSW late nineteenth and early twentieth century both in terms of attendance and entry takings and also the number and quality of exhibits.

Its historical significance also lies in the ability of its intact collection of buildings to demonstrate th evolution of agricultural and industrial activities in rural NSW and also by the fact that it has retained its original use as a showground since its establishment over 140 year ago.
SHR Criteria b)
[Associative significance]
The state heritage significance of the Glen Innes Show and Showground may be enhanced through its association with the Dumaresq family. The first president of the show was William Alexander Dumaresq, son of the well-known and at times notorious colonial figure William John Dumaresq who along with this brother amassed lanrge and profitable landholdings in NSW including Saumarez and Tilbuster in the New England region. William John was a wealthy property owner in the area and married the sister in law of NSW Governor Belmore.

The Show and Showground also have a close and significant association with Deepwater Station and its owner WT Cadell who developed the station and its flock of merinos to the extent that it became one of the leading sheep station in NSW. Deepwater Station make an enormous contribution to the fine wool export industry in NSW. WT Cadell was financial and social patron of the Glen Innes Show from 1903 until his death in 1922 . His work with the show led to it being recognised as one of the most sucessful shows in NSW in both levels of attendance and entry takings and also in the number and quality of exhibits at the annual show.
SHR Criteria c)
[Aesthetic significance]
Glen Innes Showground is of state heritage significance as an outstanding, picturesque and stylistically cohesive and complementary suite of showground buildings sited in a park like landscape setting. Most of the buildings date from the 1890s and 1920s and are all architect-designed by Sydney based or local and regional architects.

The group of Federation style timber buildings display classical decorative elements. The collection also includes vernacular elements such as post and beam shed, post and rail gates and fences, stables and yards.

The group of buildings at Glen Innes showground are one of the most comprehensive array of show buildings gathered at one showground in NSW and are arranged in an aesthetically pleasing and distinctive way around the central arena. The iconic aesthetic qualities of the built and landscape elements of the showground make it a landmark feature of the town, more so than many other showgrounds in NSW. Its distinctive landmark aesthetic qualities have been recognised and used in promotional material produced by the Department of Lands which highlight the values of Crown Reserves across the state.
SHR Criteria e)
[Research potential]
The Glen Innes Showground with its comprehensive collection of pavilions, grandstand, sheep and cattle pavilions and stock holding yards, stables and other ancillary structures holds research potential as one of the most intact and diverse group of showground buildings in the state. The buildings have important technical and research potential because of their age, architectural and construction merit.
SHR Criteria f)
[Rarity]
The Glen Innes Showground is likely to be of state heritage significance as a rare example of a showground with a full complement of showground buildings demonstrating the breadth of activities associated with a regional show and the development of the show as the agricultural economy of the region developed.

The collection of buildings in their landscape setting is also rare as they are still intact and unaltered. Many other NSW showgrounds have retained their grandstands and in some cases, other pavilions but many of the historic pavilions are either demolished or in a state of dilapidation. Along with Singleton, Maitland, and Bathurst, Glen Innes retains a diverse collection of buildings and has strived to ensure new buildings are largely sympathetic with the historic buildings. Glen Innes is a rare example of an aesthetically cohesive group of showground buildings in a carefully planned and maintained landscape setting.
SHR Criteria g)
[Representativeness]
Glen Innes Showgrounds is likely to be of state heritage significance as fine representative example of a regional showground retaining the diversity of its exhibition, hospitality and spectator facilities in its landscaped setting. Its intactness and aesthetic qualities including the stylistic cohesion of the buildings and its layout clustered around the central arena make this showground illustrative of an 'ideal' regional showground in NSW.
Integrity/Intactness: Glen Innes showground has a high degree of intactness.
Assessment criteria: Items are assessed against the PDF State Heritage Register (SHR) Criteria to determine the level of significance. Refer to the Listings below for the level of statutory protection.

Procedures /Exemptions

Section of actDescriptionTitleCommentsAction date
57(2)Exemption to allow workStandard Exemptions SCHEDULE OF STANDARD EXEMPTIONS
HERITAGE ACT 1977
Notice of Order Under Section 57 (2) of the Heritage Act 1977

I, the Minister for Planning, pursuant to subsection 57(2) of the Heritage Act 1977, on the recommendation of the Heritage Council of New South Wales, do by this Order:

1. revoke the Schedule of Exemptions to subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act made under subsection 57(2) and published in the Government Gazette on 22 February 2008; and

2. grant standard exemptions from subsection 57(1) of the Heritage Act 1977, described in the Schedule attached.

FRANK SARTOR
Minister for Planning
Sydney, 11 July 2008

To view the schedule click on the Standard Exemptions for Works Requiring Heritage Council Approval link below.
Sep 5 2008

PDF Standard exemptions for works requiring Heritage Council approval

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Heritage Act - State Heritage Register 0196104 Sep 15 752766

References, internet links & images

TypeAuthorYearTitleInternet Links
Written 2014Armidale Showground
Written 2014Deepwater Wool Festival - History of Deepwater
Written   
WrittenAustralian Museum Business Services2010Glen Innes Severn LGA Aboriginal Heritage Study
WrittenBill Hughes2004It just goes to show
WrittenBill Hughes1994Glen Innes Showground - a history from the beginings to 1994
WrittenContbeare Morrison2004Review of Early 20th Century Inner Metropolitan Sydney and Country Grandstands
WrittenConybeare Morrison2007Dubbo Showground and 1893 Grandstand - Heritage Assessment and Heritage Impact Statement
WrittenConybeare Morrison2006Maitland Showground Conservation Management Strategy
WrittenEcosite Site2013Solutions
WrittenEcosite Solutions Draft Plan of Management Glen Innes Showground Reserve D510036
WrittenGenevieve Newbury1969Echoes in the Wind
WrittenGlen Innes Municipal Council2013The Beardies Heritage
WrittenJennifer McMonnies1996Survey of Showgrounds - Hunter Valley
WrittenJohn Armes and Associates2005Moyrua Showground Conservation Management Plan
WrittenMcGregor Project Architects and Builders2012Bathurst Showground Conservation Management Plan

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Heritage Office
Database number: 5062627
File number: EF15/1214


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.