Kishnaghur Archaeological Site | NSW Environment, Energy and Science

About us

Kishnaghur Archaeological Site

Item details

Name of item: Kishnaghur Archaeological Site
Type of item: Archaeological-Terrestrial
Group/Collection: Residential buildings (private)
Primary address: 42A Evans Road, Telopea, NSW 2117
Local govt. area: Parramatta
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
42A Evans RoadTelopeaParramatta  Primary Address

Statement of significance:

Kishnaghur archaeological site, on the corner of Tilley and Osborne Streets in Dundas Valley, is of significance for the people of Parramatta for historical reasons, for its associaitons with Captain Thomas Baylis, and for its archaeological research potential. The site and grounds may retain evidence of the former use and contribute further to the understanding of the history of the area.
Date significance updated: 17 Mar 15
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Construction years: 1836-
Physical description: The Kishnaghur archaeological site is bound by Evans Road, Lord Avenue, Tilley Street and Osborne Avenue. It was originally part of a broader (50-acre) Original Grant to John Ramsay of 1791. Today the area is vacant and used as a public park.
The house Kishnaghur was built circa 1836 and demolished before 1943.
Further information: CPS, NTL

History

Historical notes: Kishnaghur was a notable house built by Captain Thomas Henry Baylis in 1836-1837. It had extensive sandstone cellars, and was overlooking a large circular driveway near the present corner of Osborne Avenue and Tilley Street, Telopea. In 1891 Kishnaghur was one of two large estates in Oatlands (Parramatta – A Past Revealed, p. 228). The house may have had L-shaped footprint (ibid, p. 243). In 1930, an aerial shows it as a rectangular plan (E Boesel, unpublished independent research). By the end of the second world war the house appears to be demolished or destroyed.
Captain Thomas Henry Baylis (1792-1853) was in active military service from 1810-1837 and notably fought in Napoleonic Wars. Baylis was a long time magistrate in the Edinburgh Castle which is in the City of Edinburgh. He married Julia Dorothea Bartels in Calcutta, India, where the name Kishnaghur originated. Thomas and Julia Baylis had a large family. An anecdote tells that Baylis had an altercation with a Mr Morgan in Wagga Wagga during which Baylis had his thumb shot off. Both Thomas and Julia Baylis are buried in St John's Cemetery Parramatta.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental Plan A6   

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Parramatta City Comprehensive Heritage Review 2011 Parramatta City Council and Zoran Popovic  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 5062788


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.