Botany Town Hall and Council Chambers | NSW Environment & Heritage

Culture and heritage

Heritage

Botany Town Hall and Council Chambers

Item details

Name of item: Botany Town Hall and Council Chambers
Type of item: Built
Group/Collection: Community Facilities
Category: Hall Town Hall
Primary address: 1423 Botany Road, Botany, NSW 2019
Local govt. area: Botany Bay
All addresses
Street AddressSuburb/townLGAParishCountyType
1423 Botany RoadBotanyBotany Bay  Primary Address
Edward StreetBotanyBotany Bay  Alternate Address

Statement of significance:

Of historic, aesthetic and social significance to the local area as a substantially intact and representative example of a Victorian Free Classical Town Hall building with an imposing streetscape presence. Opened in 1899, the building provides evidence of the incorporation of the Botany Municipality in 1888 as a result of the growth and development of the area. The consolidation of the area as a residential locality and the need for a local formal and celebratory function space for the community is evidenced by the addition of the Dance Hall Hall to the southern elevation in 1934. It is historically and socially significant as a meeting space for the community despite two major municipal amalgamations.
The former Botany Town Hall also provides evidence of the establishment of communications technology in the area, with facilities for the Post and Telegraph Office incorporated in its original fabric. Adaptation of the Post Office space following the relocation of the Office to Banksia Street in 1922 allowed Council to enlarge the Town Hall space.
The building is also aesthetically significant for retains the character of its original scale and form and imposing streetscape presence , which is enhanced by the setting of the building c.1600mm above the level of Botany Road.
Date significance updated: 26 Feb 18
Note: The State Heritage Inventory provides information about heritage items listed by local and State government agencies. The State Heritage Inventory is continually being updated by local and State agencies as new information becomes available. Read the OEH copyright and disclaimer.

Description

Designer/Maker: Byera Hadley F.I.A.
Builder/Maker: Henry Punter
Physical description: The Botany Town Hall is a large stuccoed brick 2-storey Victorian Italianate style building with classic features of the style such as a balustraded parapet, quoining, triangular pediment, and elaborate mouldings.To the ground floor the building features a projecting porch with an arched entry and a balustraded balcony above, generally slightly curved heads to window and door openings with contrast banded heads (now painted). To the first floor the building features an elaborate imitation balustrade, semi-circular arched windows placed in groups of three with wide centre window in each group with narrower flanking windows, elaborate label moulds with imitation keystones above the windows. Windows are timber-framed double-hung sashes and doors are timber panelled. The roof is hidden behind the parapet.
The Dance Hall is readily distinguishable as an addition, being set back and with simpler detailing, particularly to Edward Street.
A Post Office annex was constructed as part of the Council Chamber building and remains legible through its detailing, with subtle differences in the imitation quoining, pilasters and mouldings when compared to the Chamber section; but clearly part of the original development. The separate street entrance to the Post Office has been infilled by a window and the stairs removed.
The original front fence was iron palisade with separate double leaf gates to the Chambers and Post Office, set between the substantial sandstone pillars.
Physical condition and/or
Archaeological potential:
The building has been extended to the north and south. There is a modern front fence, however historic photographs provide details of the original front fence to the Town Hall.
Modifications and dates: The Dance Hall was added in 1934 as a Depression Relief Scheme project.
Current use: Meeting rooms for Council and community
Former use: Town Hall, Council Chamber and Post and Telegraph Office

History

Historical notes: History of the item

The first official meeting of the newly formed Botany Municipal Council in 1888 was held in the ‘ante room’ of the Botany School of Arts building (1361 Botany Road). Council meetings soon moved to a cottage owned by Alderman William Pemberton in 1889 (now 1158 Botany Road), however public gatherings and voting continued to be held at the School of Arts. By May 1896 moves had been made to purchase a suitable site for a Town Hall and dedicated Council Chambers.

The land originally secured was 100 feet of William Beaumont’s land at Botany Road and 100 feet at Park Avenue, at £1 per foot. To finance the purchase, the Mayor was empowered to withdraw fixed deposits of £500 held by the Australian Joint Stock Bank. Plans for a prospective building were produced and adopted and a call to tender occurred at once. The question of the legality of using loan money for the construction of the building was raised however, and it was decided to consult the Municipal Association. Despite this concern, plans for the building proceeded. In October the tender of H. Punter was accepted for the building, however various discussions concerning the loan amount and the plans themselves continued to be had. By 1897 Council re-opened the building for tender once again. A plan was again accepted and a loan amount of £2,000 was agreed.

It was at this stage that the executors of the late G.L. Lord’s estate offered a site for the Town Hall on Botany Road, opposite the post office and council chambers cottage (1158 Botany Road) being used at the time for fortnightly meetings. The site was offered to Council free of charge, yet the Council still managed to negotiate an increase in street frontage from 80 feet to 100 feet. The offer of a valuable and well situated site such as this, free of charge, was too good for Council to reject. Tenders were called in August 1898 for the new Town Hall site at 1423 Botany Road.

H. Punter’s tender for the building’s construction was once again accepted by Council in November 1898. £2,000 was borrowed for the project and six months was given to Punter to complete the structure – a schedule Punter kept, with the new Town Hall opening on schedule on 13 July 1899 the following year.

The Hall was designed in the Victorian Italianate style. It has classic features such as a balustraded parapet, quoining and elaborate mouldings. Its street frontage is an impressive sight and one can imagine how it would have stirred in the Councillors, as well as the local residents, a momentous sense of arrival as a Municipality.

The Town Hall’s official opening in July 1899 was performed amidst great fanfare and gaiety. Among the official guests were the Governor of New South Wales, William Lygon 7th Earl Beauchamp, the State Premier (and future Prime Minister of Australia), George H. Reid, Varney Parkes (architect and politician) and John Rowland Dacey. Speeches, ribbon cutting and flag bearing added great enthusiasm to the day, followed by a luncheon and commemoration ball attended by 250 dancers.

Various improvements were made to the Town Hall between 1899 and 1907. The question of an additional stairway to the main hall was considered, however nothing was done about this for several years. A report on the best method of treating the terrace in front of the Hall was presented in October 1907, in which it was recommended to cover the terrace with a coating of tar and fine metal and screenings. Various adornments and lighting features were made also. Ventilation was added in 1908, while electric lighting was installed in 1916, at a cost of £87 11 s.

A proposal to enlarge the Town Hall was made in 1919 in a plan prepared for Council by Mr St. Julian. It was proposed to fund the extensions out of more loan funds, however after using loan money to build the hall in the first place, this option was rejected by ratepayers. The Botany Post Office, which had been operating out of an annexe to the Hall since its opening in 1899, was given notice to quit in 1922. This allowed the Hall to expand to the north. The plan was accepted and adopted in 1924.

In 1932 consideration was given to the erection of a Dance Hall fronting Edward Street, or extending the existing Dance Hall to the Town Hall Lane. The proposals also included the remodelling of the Council Chamber and other ancillary rooms. After much deliberation and discussion, the renovations were finally adopted by Council and finance of £2,150 was approved under the Government’s Emergency Relief Works Scheme – a Depression-era employment scheme introduced in 1934 where the Government paid the wages of men employed by local councils on public works while councils covered the cost of operation. Within a year the number of “dolers” had been reduced from 83,151 to 28,759 and the number of relief workers had risen from 34,229 to 75,648 men.

The renovations to the Town Hall were completed in 1934 and consisted of a new council chamber, an enlarged ballroom with new floor, ‘modern conveniences’ such as cloak rooms, a new kitchen, lavatories and garage, a new stage, substantial brick fencing (both side and in front), a new waiting room and the furnishing of the new Council chamber and Mayor’s Room.

During this time gardens and rockeries were also laid out in front of the Town Hall which further improved its street front appearance. The opening of the new extended Town Hall was performed by the Hon. B.S.B. Stevens, Premier and Colonial Treasurer and the Minister for Works and Local Government, the Hon. E.S.Spooner. Much like the original opening of the Town Hall in 1899, the occasion ended with a Civic Ball with over 300 guests in the new extended ballroom.

Background historical notes

The following has been extracted from City of Botany Bay: A Thematic History (2017) by Elizabeth Conroy. Please refer to this document, in particular Section 10.2 ‘The suburb of Botany’, for more information.


The Traditional Owners of Botany Bay

At the time of the arrival of the Europeans in 1770, the Australian continent was owned by over 400 different Aboriginal nations. For tens of thousands of years Aboriginal people had lived in the Sydney Basin, with cultural and archaeological evidence of occupation of the Botany Bay area for at least 5,000 years.

The traditional owners of Botany Bay are understood to have been the Kameygal, also spelt Gameygal, people and further south, the Bidjigal people. The Botany Bay area also hosted two major language groups; the Dharug (or more specifically, “Darug coastal”) to the north between Port Jackson (or even as far as Broken Bay) down to Botany Bay, and Dharawal from the southern shore of Botany Bay down to the Shoalhaven River.

The period between the first European occupation of land in the Botany District, around 1815, and 1850 was a time of mass disruption to traditional movement patterns and the cultural and spiritual practices of Aboriginal peoples. Netting of fish in Botany Bay by the colonists had depleted the fish stocks and lime burning had taken a massive toll on the availability of shellfish. The food supply and natural use of the land by Aboriginal people was also severely impacted by the demands of colonial settlement such as fencing and the rigorous cultivation that had begun to take place.

Early land grants

The first recorded grants of land to Europeans in the Botany Bay area was on 16 September 1809 to three ex-convicts; Edward Redmond (135 acres), Andrew Byrne (30 acres) and Mary Lewin (30 acres) (situated in the vicinity of today’s Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport). Tom White Melville Winder (1789-1853), was surveyed 700 acres in 1822, 417 acres of which were in the Botany District. The recipient of the largest and best-known grant in the Botany District was Simeon Lord (1770-1841). Lord was granted 600 acres in 1823 which encompassed the whole of the lower portion of the Lachlan watershed, and later made further purchases that brought his total land holding to over 735 acres.

The other major land holder in the area was the Crown which held 4,195 acres of land in a reserve known as the ‘Church and School Estate’. It was intended to provide the Crown with money through the subdivision and sale of the land to fund the Anglican clergy and parochial schools, but by 1833 the scheme had been abolished. Much of the land in the Botany District was not released for sale until the late 19th century.

The development of Botany

The three major landholders, Lord, Winder and the Crown, in the formative early phase in the area’s history meant that most of the land was essentially bound up in a stronghold between two wealthy magnates and the Government who each depended on the swampy wetlands for their industries and profits and who had little interest in subdividing it for sale into residential and commercial lots. In effect this somewhat quarantined the early Botany District for most of the 19th century from the building booms and busts that were shaping the rest of Sydney at this time.

Access to the lower part of the Botany District was difficult and the main option in the early years, apart from a network of informal tracks through the swamps, was to travel to Sydney by water around the coast. The first attempt to make a formal road to the area was made in 1813.

Due to much of its land being held by either the Crown or by the Lord family, by the 1860s Botany’s relative isolation and still sparse settlement meant its roads, public transport and utilities were deemed to be ‘behind’ those of Sydney suburbs. Land sales and residential development were slow to take off in Botany, with traditional industries such as fishing and market gardening being the main activities for many years. This isolated quality was however advantageous to one particular industry, that of noxious trades. Tanneries, wool-scours and boiling-down works flocked to Botany after being pushed out of Sydney by the Noxious Trades Act of 1848. Botany was able to satisfy needs for flat, cheap land with the copious water supply and ready drainage that was demanded by these industries.

The proportion of the suburb available for residential development increased significantly following the large-scale release of ‘Lord’s Estate’ from 1863, with most of the area covered by modest detached cottages over the next 50 years. Botany benefited particularly from the introduction of a tram service down Botany Road towards Banksmeadow in 1882.

By 1888 the area was sufficiently populated and motivated to seek (and subsequently gained) incorporation as a Municipality. Large-scale industries continued to operate in the suburb throughout the first half of the 20th century. Noxious trades continued to operate along the edge of the wetlands until after World War Two, however these have now largely ceased and the main industrial activity today in Botany is associated with the freight-handling industry servicing both Kingsford Smith Airport and Port Botany.

Listings

Heritage ListingListing TitleListing NumberGazette DateGazette NumberGazette Page
Local Environmental PlanBotany Bay LEP 2013I6921 Jun 13 2013/133 
Within a conservation area on an LEPBotany Bay LEP 2013C221 Jun 13 2013/133 
Local Environmental Plan - LapsedBotany LEP 19957225 Feb 00 291464

Study details

TitleYearNumberAuthorInspected byGuidelines used
Botany Heritage Study19962.11Tropman & Tropman  No
City of Botany Bay Heritage Review2018 E. & R. Conroy  Yes

References, internet links & images

None

Note: internet links may be to web pages, documents or images.

rez rez rez rez rez rez
rez rez
(Click on thumbnail for full size image and image details)

Data source

The information for this entry comes from the following source:
Name: Local Government
Database number: 1210072


Every effort has been made to ensure that information contained in the State Heritage Inventory is correct. If you find any errors or omissions please send your comments to the Database Manager.

All information and pictures on this page are the copyright of the Heritage Division or respective copyright owners.