The sandstone chapel is built on half an acre of the property "Greens" donated by George Everingham. The shingle roof has been replaced by a corrugated steel roof and the windows have recently been replaced as per the original ones. The inside has a number of pews and a holy table. The grounds also have a small building complete with toilets that serve as a meeting area and amenities block for tours.
No changes to the chapel itself. A small amenities block has been built further up the property.
The physical condition is good, as the Society has replaced the roof and windows, which were termite affected. There is subsidence in the front corner and a major drainage problem as the building has not drainage underneath and no space for air to circulate. Work on Wisemans Ferry Road raised the level and this increases the problem.
1818 Wesleyan Methodism spread along the Hawkesbury. Many settlers were from Sussex, Kent and Cornwall. People met in private houses. Ministerial care directed from Windsor.
George Everingham was the first Australian born Wesleyan preacher. A son of first fleeter Matthew Everingham and Elizabeth Rimes George married Keturah Stubbs and in 1832 bought the property known as 'Greens' at Lower Hawkesbury. George always walked or rowed a boat to his religious appointments sometimes taking 3 days. Part of 'Greens' was leased to George William Douglass. From 1841 local meeting were organised at 'Greens' by George Everingham, John Laughton and George Douglass. In 1838 George Douglass was converted to Methodism.
By 1852 the congregation was too large for private homes and George Everingham donated half an acre of 'Greens' property to the church for a Chapel and school. The sandstone Chapel was built by Greentree brothers for 300 pounds. A tea-party had raised 200 pounds before work started and on June 9 1859 another tea-meeting raised 61 pounds to clear the debt
The first service was held on Monday April 22 1855. The congregation had arrived on Sunday but the Minister John Watkin had got lost and didn't arrive until Monday. Congregations mostly came by boat. Methodism thrived into the nineteenth century and many local lads became preachers.
By the 1950's attendances were well down and the last Methodist service was conducted at the Chapel in 1963.
The Divine Word Missionaries leased 'Greens' and the Chapel at a peppercorn rent for 10 years. The first Mass was celebrated on Sunday June 25 1965.
The lease was not renewed and the Chapel was unused for many years. The Dharug and Lower Hawkesbury Historic Society leased the premises from the Uniting Church in 1984 for a peppercorn rent. In 1986 they received a Bicentennial Grant, which together with substantial fund raising allowed for the purchase of the property. The Chapel and grounds are used for meetings social events and are part of Historic tours conducted in the area. The Chapel has also had Services conducted on request.
Author flyer produced by the Dharug and Lower Hawkesbury Historic Society cl-P.O.Wisemans Ferry 2775.