The Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church is a Victorian Gothic Revival style Church constructed of white Pyrmont sandstone, the base in rusticated but remaining masonry is dressed.
The church consists of a nave of six bays with two transepts. In place of a chancel is a separate vestry. At the eastern end of the nave (ie ecclesiastical west), there is a square tower with a newell stairway and spire the apex of which rises 55 metres from the ground. There is a parapet walkway at the base of the spire. At each corner of the tower there is a finial connected with the spire by two flying buttresses.
An open king post roof, possibly of cedar spans the nave. Pillars which support the nave have columns of Aberdeen granite with capitals and feet of Victorian bluestone. The roofs of the South transept and the nave are covered in Westmorland slate. The roof of the north transept is covered in a European green and Bangor slate. Vestry and porch roofs are covered in Westmorland slate.
Except for the tower porch, the floor is of wood. The area unoccupied by communion and pew platforms is paved in encaustic tile of geometric design.
The threshold of the gates to the tower porch is of Victorian bluestone. The rest of the tower porch floor is paved in black and white diagonal marble bordered in red encaustic tile. The ceiling of the tower porch is vaulted in stone. The principal doorway to the porch is embellished at the arch with tracery in stone and with ornamental wrought iron. There are two ornamental wrought iron grill gates within the principal doorway.
Doors throughout the church are of cedar. Lancet windows of the tower's newell stairyway and upper storeys together with the spire's dormer windows are of leaded tinted glass. The windows of the bell chamber are fitted with wooden louvres. Aisle, clerestorey, transept, vestry and western porch windows are of leaded geometric coloured glass.
The designs of the pointed arches of the nave and apsidal arches of the transepts are possibly contrived freehand rather than by geometry.
Gas brackets in brass encircle the capitals of columns in the nave and have bands decorated with Scotch thistles and Greek crosses.
The Collins and Johnston Street perimeteres are fenced also in Pyrmont sandstone with a rusticated base and dressed piers with gabled caps, the piers being connected by wrought-iron balastrades.
The main porch contains the following tablets:
West wall - top 'This tablet was erected by the congregation in loving remembrance of Isabella Dunmore Lang and Widow of the founder of the Church, born at Sydney, 8th November, 1843, Died at Casula NSW 24th January, 1925, the expression of her love for Christ was in loving service to others. 'His servants shall serve and they shall see His Face'. Revelations XXII, 3-4
West wall - below 'This Church was erected by his widow to the memory of John Hunter Baillie, generous friend of the Presbyterian Church in this colony and a liberal contributor to many benevolent and charitable institutions - born at Hamilton, Scotland, on 29th July, 1818, died at Sydney, 25th March, 1854. The memory of the just is blessed'. Proverbs X, 7.
West wall - left 'To the memory of Helen Hay, widow of John Hunter Baillie, daughter of the late William Mackie of Greenock, Scotland, 9th October 1815. Died at Sydney, 18th May, 1897, in the 83rd year of her age. Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. They rest from their labours and their works do follow them' Relevations IV, 13"
West wall - right 'This tablet was erected by the Congregation in affectionate remembrance of the Rev. Peter Falconer Mackenzie, founder of this Church, who entered upon rest on the 26th October, 1904, in 73rd year of his age, the 47th year of his Ministry, and the 19th year of his pastorate of this congregation. He feared God and knew no other fear'
The Memorials to the First World War, 1914-18, are on either side of the main porch and they were both unveiled by his Excellency, Lord Forster, P.C, Governor-General, 19th December, 1920.
The 1890 William Hill & Son Organ is one of only six Hill & Son organs in NSW to have survived in original condition and is particularly distinguished because of its unique case.
Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Chuch, School Hall
Simplified Gothic polychrome moulded brick with dressed sandstone mullions in the windows and open timbered roof. Original proportions were 50 feet long, 22 feet wide and 28 feet high. Belfry and bell at the centre of the roof (since removed). Additions at the western end (1911, and in modern times). Suggestion of the influence of John Horbury Hunt in the design. (Heritage Office files)
The Church opened 1889 and Hall (1886) were built by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie in memory of her husband John Hunter Baillie who until shortly before his death in 1854 had been the Secretary of the Bank of New South Wales and a close friend of Mrs Baillie's brother-in-law, the Rev. Dr John Dunmore Lang.
Designed by Architects, Cyril and Arthur and Blacket and build between 1886-1889, the Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian Church is a Victorian Gothic Revival Style Church constructed of white Pyrmont sandstone with a slate roof. The builders were: Bowden and Curtis (1886 concrete foundation), Simpsons Brothers (1886 walls), R. Kirkham (1886 roof and floors) and A. M Allen (1887 tower and spire).
Situated adjacent to the church and constructed prior to the church between 1885 and 1886, the church school hall was also designed by the Blackets and paradoxically is styled in a later manner than the subsequent church building.
Mrs Hunter Baillie then gave the Church complete with its Hill and Sons' Pipe Organ, the hall and a manse to the Presbyterian Church of NSW on amongst other conditions, that her nephew (Rev Dr. Lang's son in law) the Rev Peter F Mackenzie had life tenancy of the pulpit. (Heritage Office files)