Architectural Style: Neo-classic. Building Material: Brick
A small 2 storey town hall built in 1880, the Mayor at the time being T. Clark. It is neo-classic in style having stuccoed pediments to windows and the elaborate central roof gable containing the date and name plaque and ventilator. The structure is of brick with stuccoed quions, window surrounds and central balcony - porch. A small mansard roof of corrugated iron is set behind a low parapet at the front and is surmounted by a flagpole turret with cast iron crestings.
The ground floor portion of the floor has recently been sympathetically altered to provide shop fronts connected with increased tourist amenities.
Behind the front range of offices there is a small hall of the period having cast iron columns supporting the gallery.
The building is well maintained (National Trust, 1980).
late 1970s: ground floor converted to a library. Subsequently extended. The theatre upstairs has been restored and similarly extended.
c.1980 ground floor portion sympathetically altered to provide shop fronts connected with increased tourist amenities.
Inclinator installed to get disabled access to top floor. Ineffective (Broadley, pers.comm., 8/2009).
Well maintained (NTA, 1980). Upstairs theatre is the most intact space (Broadley, pers.comm., 8/2009)
The town hall was built in 1880, the Mayor at the time being T. Clark.
The former Mudgee Town Hall is a highly significant 19th municipal building located in Market Street, the centre of Mudgee's business and commercial precinct. The building also forms part of a significant group of historic buildings on the northern side of Market Street that make a strong architectural contribution to the streetscape and the centre of Mudgee. The finely designed Neoclassical building dates from the 1880s and served as the Town Hall until the 1970s. Importantly the public use of the building has continued with its adaptation to library and theatre in the 1980s and remains today an important place in the social life of this rural town (Christo Aitken, letter supporting grant application, 2011).