The site comprises 8 hectares (20 acres) of land, bounded by the Cooks River, Occupation Road and Bestic Street, divided into four x 5 acre leasehold gardens. The site also contains seven buildings, some of which were originally dwellings, but which are now used for living, storage and packing.
Lot 4: contains a simply detailed weatherboard cottage with gabled corrugated iron roof (new). To the sides and rear, the building is clad in sheet metal, with the original split timber construction visible underneath. The verandah is timber floored. Paired windows flank the central, panelled door. Windows are timber, sashed, six pane and double hung. Joinery appears original. There is a sandstock brick skillion addition and separate recent, corrugated iron shed to the rear.
Between Lot 4 and 3: Contains a series of corrugated iron sheds in very poor condition. Some have almost completely collapsed.
Lot 3: contains a simple weatherboard cottage, similar to that on Lot 4. The verandah ends are enclosed with sawn timber. Similar joinery and detailing to Lot 4. There is a corrugated iron and timber skillion addition to one side. Both buildings appear to date from the late 19th Century.
Lot 2: contains a corrugated iron shed with gabled roof and skillion addition to the side. The age is difficult to ascertain from an initial inspection, as some of the corrugated iron has been replaced.
Land resumed for open space approximately 15 years ago.
The site is still under production as a market garden and has some archaeological potential related to its continuing use as a market garden.
The area east of Tabrett Street is believed to have been occupied by market gardeners since 1892-3, whilst other areas were still vacant. In later years, these areas were occupied by Italian and Maltese gardeners. The site has been leased by Chinese Market gardeners since its resumption for open space approximately 15 years ago.