Collection includes an original plate: of vitreous enamel and the current set of plates: of embossed steel.
The number plates were issued by the registering authority. In 1910 this was the Traffic Superintendent's Office of the NSW Police Department, in 1930 by the Department of Road Transport and Tramways and in 1952 by the Department of Motor Transport, and again in early 1989 by the Roads and Traffic Authority.
The No. 10 number plate has been allocated to the Chief Officer of the NSW Fire Brigades since the inception of number plates by the Roads and Traffic Authority in 1910. The first vehicle allocated the plate, in 1910 was a 14 h.p. B.S.A vehicle used by the Chief Officer A.Webb. (1989 - 1913) The plates have been uniquely issued to the Chief Officer, now Commissioner, of the Fire Brigades since 1910. The Number 10 vehicle has been photographed on numerous occasions, both formal and operational, for nearly 100 years.