Three concrete and rock pools, being a main 50 metre Olympic pool, a wading pool and an intermediate pool, set into and on a rocky shore, with two brick structures containing toilets, change rooms, kiosk, club/meeting room and storage area. A concrete concourse physically unites these elements with rows of concrete tiered seating on the western edge, and various stairs and ramps. There are fixed shade structures over the intermediate pool and the southern end of the tiered seating (EJE, 2002, 4).
1940 - intermediate and wading pools built, along with pump station and pipeline.
1950s - concrete pool floor and sides laid over excavated rock.
1965 - wading and intermediate pools built.
1970s - pipeline enlarged, pool floor renewed, concourse constructed.
1995 - pump upgrading and reticulation works.
(EJE 2002: 4)
Assessed as being 'Fair' condition in 1994 (EJE, App E) and in 2009.
The 50 metre, seven lane, Olympic size pool was constructed in the 1938 by Erina Shire Council using the approximate site of an earlier rock pool known as "Roberts' Pool", but closer to the shoreline. The development of the site coincides with the cultural shift from secluded bathing primarily for therapeutic and hygiene reasons to swimming as a recreational and competitive sporting activity promoted for its health benefits. The expansion of the site coincides with the growth of amateur swimming clubs and the consequent demand for suitable venues. Hence many municipal councils built new facilities or enlarged existing rock pools as is the case here. The baths also provided a safe alternative recreational and swimming environment to the dangerous surf beach.
The pool located on a natural rock platform was filled through tidal action, often taking a week to fill. It was drained every six to eight weeks via a channel blasted through the rock platform at the southern end of the pool. Workers would scour the walls and natural rock bottom as the water slowly receded.
The pool was upgraded in the 1940s with the addition of a pumping station and pipeline. At the same time a swimming club was established, which raised funds for various works including a club house, and Erina Shire Council built a toilet and change rooms just south of the pool.
In 1951 further improvements were made to the pool with a concrete floor and sides being placed over the excavated rock. The Entrance Amateur Swimming Club was formed on 10 July, 1953. The inaugaral President was Fred Lewis. In 1965 a Baby Wading Pool and the medium sized pool known as the 'Fred Lewis Pool' were was added. In April 1967 the Tuggerah Tuffs a winter swimming club were formed. In 1995 minor pump upgrading and reticulation works were completed.
The Entrance was a popular summer holiday destination for people from the working classes and rural communities. The Entrance Amateur Swimming Club and the Entrance Ocean Baths provided free swimming lessons during summer to local residents and tourists alike. As a major seaside toursit destination many people from across NSW first learn't to swim at the Entrance Ocean Baths.