Keep records of your native animal pets

If you hold a Native Animal Keeper Licence you must keep records and lodge them with the OEH Wildlife Team in April each year.

Eastern water skink (Eulamprus quoyii)

Licensed native animal keepers must keep accurate records of their native animal pets. The easiest way to do this is with the web-based electronic native animal keeper record book, or e-book.

The e-book is a diary to record details about the native animals you buy or dispose of. All licenced native animal keepers can register for the e-book. It’s better to use the e-book but you can also use a paper book if you don't have access to a computer.

These records help the Office of Environment and Heritage understand the extent of native animal keeping. Tracking records ensures that captive-bred animals, and not animals taken from the wild, are being bought and sold.

You can enter records into your e-book at any time but you cannot lodge records until after 1 April. We suggest regularly recording your animal holdings and transactions throughout the year, rather than at the end of the reporting period, to simplify your record keeping and lodgement. To enter records login to e-book.

Failing to keep accurate records is an offence under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1974.

Lodgements open each year on 1 April for the previous 12 months (April to March). 

Even if you have no animals or there has been no change to your holdings, you still must lodge records as a condition of holding a Native Animal Keeper Licence.

If you don’t have access to a computer and are keeping a paper record book, complete your records for the year and lodge these by post with the Wildlife Team:

Wildlife Licensing, National Parks and Wildlife Service
PO Box 1967, Hurstville BC NSW 1481.