Over $7.5 million for Great Eastern Ranges projects
Sixteen long-term Great Eastern Ranges corridor environmental projects have won a share of over $7.5 million in Bush Connect grants to start decade long conservation projects.
Environment Minister Mark Speakman said the NSW Environmental Trust grants provide funding of between $250,000 and $500,000 each, for the first six years of the projects.
The 16 projects awarded grants will span the Great Eastern Ranges, from the north of the state to the southern border.
“This program is designed to encourage partnerships between community environment groups or networks, farmers and non-government organisations to complete important environmental work,” Mr Speakman said.
The 16 projects include the Yass Habitat Linkages project, which will bring local landcare groups and farmers together to connect isolated patches of remnant native vegetation on private agricultural land between Murrumbateman, Jerewa, Binalong and Bookham.
More than 25 kilometres of fencing will be installed and about 40,000 trees will be planted as part of the project. This will create a 200 hectare green link and improve 1,500 hectares of remnant native vegetation.
Another project is the Kanangra-Boyd to Wyangala link partnership which will work with communities to reconnect gliding possum habitats.
The project also will engage landholders in the Wombeyan Caves, Mares Forest, Abercrombie River and Copperhannia regions, to restore functional linkages through grazing management, natural regeneration, targeted plantings and feral predator control.
The grant program requires projects to run for a minimum of 10 years. The Environmental Trust and the applicant will jointly fund up to 80 per cent of the total project cost for the first six years, the applicant will contribute the remaining 20 per cent over the remaining four years.
To see a full list of recipients and project descriptions, visit: Project summaries: 2015 Bush Connect program
- Parks reserves and protected areas
- Land and soil
- Establishing new parks and protected areas
- Types of protected areas
- Managing land and soil
- New England North West
- South East and Tablelands
- North Coast
- Central West and Orana
- Metropolitan Sydney
- Far West
- Central Coast
- Murray Murrumbidgee