Can I keep a dingo as a pet?

The dingo is the only native mammal that is not protected in NSW. It is also the only native mammal that you can have as a pet without needing a licence from the Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) or any other state government authority.

Sick or injured dingo

If you find a sick, orphaned or injured dingo, contact the Wildlife Information and Rescue organisation (WIRES), phone 1300 094 737, which will connect you with your nearest WIRES group. In Sydney contact Sydney Wildlife, phone (02) 9413 4300. Either organisation will find a volunteer to collect and care for the animal.

View the full list of NSW wildlife rehabilitation organisations

An injured native animal can be taken to any vet without charge.