How do I obtain a permit to clear land?

Apply to your local catchment management authority (CMA). You will need to work with your local CMA to prepare a property vegetation plan.

Find your local CMA

Urban areas

There are some parts of the state in which the clearing of native vegetation requires local government approval. If you reside in a Sydney Metropolitan local government area, for example, contact your local council for advice on removing trees.

View a list of NSW councils

Information sheets are also available provide guidance.

View information sheets (PDF 254KB)