How do I get a licence to keep a native frog, turtle, snake or bird?

Apart from a few species of birds, it is illegal to keep protected native animals (birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles) as pets. However, some species can be kept under licence.

Find out more about keeping native animals as pets.

Anyone over 16 years of age can apply for a Native Animal Keeper Licence. Anyone under 16 must have consent from a parent or guardian who must ensure they comply with the animal's care needs.

Wildlife caring

If you enjoy caring for animals, an alternative to keeping a pet is to help rescue sick or injured wildlife and care for orphaned young. Wildlife rehabilitation organisations always need more volunteer carers.

See the full list of NSW wildlife organisations.


For enquiries about licensing, contact the Wildlife Team.
By phone: (02) 9585 6406
By email: