Where can I report a motor vehicle with noisy exhaust?

It is an offence to modify or repair a vehicle so that its noise control equipment (muffler) is made defective, is not securely in place, is missing, or has temporary noise reduction devices or packing fitted.

Report noise from motor vehicle exhaust in NSW to Environment Line at any time.
By phone: 131 555
Online: Noisy exhaust reporting form
Mobile app: Download Report to EPA

Before reporting

You will be asked to provide the following details:

  • your contact information
  • vehicle registration details (number, state)
  • decription of the vehicle (type, make, model, colour)
  • date, time and location of the observation

Tip: If you don't have pen and paper handy, use the recording function on your mobile phone to make notes about the vehicle and incident. If you are driving, ask a passenger to record the details.

After the report

Once the observed vehicle's details are matched with a vehicle registration, the owner of the vehicle will be sent an advisory letter.

More information

More information about reporting noisy exhaust